Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1700 posts
1910 upvotes
Vancouver
The issue is the rate charged on small mail items called untracked packets, which are not traceable during the shipment. Canadian customers who opt for that shipping option when shopping online can get a cheaper price, but often have to wait weeks for the item to arrive. A slightly more expensive option that includes tracking and allows for much shorter delivery times has recently surpassed the cheaper option in terms of volume from China to Canada.
They're talking about R and U code AOs. L codes aren't lettermail, they are considered parcels and we get some compensation for them. They're probably not profitable but we're not losing money on them like we do with U/Rs. India sends loads of R packets now too, everyone is jumping through the loophole. If China has to start paying for U and R packets they'll just drop ship everything through the most convenient third world country anyway. Phillipines I'd guess.

FWIW Trump has said if these loopholes are fixed they'll stay in the UPU. China needs to be reclassified as a developed nation so it pays full rates. The UN runs the UPU and their definition of China being a third world shithole for 95% of its citizens means we get to continue delivering their mail for free.
Feb 20, 2019
187 posts
86 upvotes
Heatwave settling in in Southern Ontario. I think the corporation should have the supervisors drive out, and instead of safety checks, deliver cold bottled water to the carriers.

Supposed to be pushing 40+ with humidity for the next couple of days.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1708 posts
156 upvotes
onatrio
are you kidding me, the corp thinking safety and they get out and deliver cold water to us. that's the funniest thing ive ever heard....it cost the corp money for a supervisor to drive out there...they don't care about how hot it is for us carriers..were just a number...
PavementPounder wrote: Heatwave settling in in Southern Ontario. I think the corporation should have the supervisors drive out, and instead of safety checks, deliver cold bottled water to the carriers.

Feb 20, 2019
187 posts
86 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote: are you kidding me, the corp thinking safety and they get out and deliver cold water to us. that's the funniest thing ive ever heard....it cost the corp money for a supervisor to drive out there...they don't care about how hot it is for us carriers..were just a number...
We constantly have a freezer full of jumbo freezies in the summer, and it's the best thing after a long hot walk. We're pre-PT so some of us don't have an opportunity to buy water or keep a cooler in a truck like PT routes do.

Just a thought, and I agree, they won't do it but it would go a long way.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1700 posts
1910 upvotes
Vancouver
Freeze some water bottles and give them to your partner, get them to toss one in each of your later relays. Don't put them in the canvas bag obviously. A little squirt bottle of Gatorade concentrate or powder in your satchel helps too.
Nov 24, 2017
72 posts
87 upvotes
GTA
PavementPounder wrote: Heatwave settling in in Southern Ontario. I think the corporation should have the supervisors drive out, and instead of safety checks, deliver cold bottled water to the carriers.

Carry your own water. And more generally, get used to extreme temperatures. The trend is only going to increase in coming years.
Jul 14, 2013
133 posts
40 upvotes
PavementPounder wrote: We constantly have a freezer full of jumbo freezies in the summer, and it's the best thing after a long hot walk. We're pre-PT so some of us don't have an opportunity to buy water or keep a cooler in a truck like PT routes do.

Just a thought, and I agree, they won't do it but it would go a long way.
We also have the jumbo freezies. Recently found out it's a fellow LC that's been stocking them. She's earned the nickname "Freezie Fairy".

As for water, as Mike said, freeze bottles and send them out with your bags. I wrap them in a dish towel and stuff them in freezer bags so they don't sweat on the mail. I also get my bottle refilled throughout my route by my customers. They're more than happy to help you out.
Feb 20, 2019
187 posts
86 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: Carry your own water. And more generally, get used to extreme temperatures. The trend is only going to increase in coming years.
Don't get me wrong, I do carry my own water. It's more the gesture than anything.
Feb 20, 2019
187 posts
86 upvotes
fishingaddict17 wrote: We also have the jumbo freezies. Recently found out it's a fellow LC that's been stocking them. She's earned the nickname "Freezie Fairy".

As for water, as Mike said, freeze bottles and send them out with your bags. I wrap them in a dish towel and stuff them in freezer bags so they don't sweat on the mail. I also get my bottle refilled throughout my route by my customers. They're more than happy to help you out.
Yeah, I do freeze them and wrap them up in a plastic bag. Whenever I do see a client that may have some time on their hands, I do ask for a refill, and you're right, they really don't mind.

It was more of the gesture from management that I was referring to, not that I'm not getting enough water.
Jan 13, 2013
528 posts
303 upvotes
Vancouver
Get an insulated water bottle. Mine keeps cold sitting in a relay box in thirty degree heat. They don't sweat either.

I don't need a supervisor wasting time and plastic water bottles to drive around holding my hand just for a gesture.
Apr 30, 2015
892 posts
694 upvotes
York, ON
I've had a supervisor do that for me. He's an ex carrier. But yeah 99% don't give a **** beyond telling us "it's gonna be hot today" at the corporate mandated meeting. Meanwhile I'm delivering literal phone books in 30 degree heat. The Corp doesn't give a **** about our safety.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1700 posts
1910 upvotes
Vancouver
"we know it's still cool outside and you want to get out the door now, so we want to have a 30 minute floor talk telling you how hot it will be in 3 hours".

Early starts in the heat? Hell no.
Feb 20, 2019
187 posts
86 upvotes
I did 50 phonebooks today and the humidity makes it feel 41. I can't believe people still use these things. Everyone who I had contact with didn't want one. All for 4 cents per phonebook?
Jun 16, 2019
27 posts
6 upvotes
I had a pile of uline today in 36 plus heat. I was just starting to feel nauseous towards the end of my shift. Drank close to 6 L of water today