Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Sorry cheese don't have the answer for you. Just wanted to post this CBC article picking up on a story someone posted here last week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.7091267
While the e-commerce sector saw 3.5 per cent growth last year, Canada Post saw no growth in that area.

"There are significant critical flaws right now with how Canada Post is operating," Chhinzer said.
Oct 27, 2021
152 posts
163 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Sorry cheese don't have the answer for you. Just wanted to post this CBC article picking up on a story someone posted here last week.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.7091267
CBC treating the selling off or two relatively marginal, non-core parts of the business as if we are dismantling ourselves...

I'm really not sure why they act like we are a laggard on e-commerce. We're still the leading parcel delivery service in the country, or at least tied with UPS. Glad they could ring up an expert on corporate downsizing though, real great source there. On the other hand, why CUPW cannot or will not send out a spokesperson to give our side of things baffles me.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2048 posts
1661 upvotes
grilledscheese wrote: What's the current best practice on returning to work around COVID? I'm a temp, I have sick days but they're obviously limited. I've called out the last two days. Symptoms improving for the last 24 hours, Paxlovid doing a hell of a job for me, I'm back up and on my feet and would like to get back to work so i don't burn all my days...I suspect I'll be feeling better, but maybe still testing positive, by tomorrow morning. Can/should I work masked up?
Mask up for 1 week when return back to work.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2048 posts
1661 upvotes
Heard starting march we are getting back the Amazon returns .don’t know if it’s countrywide though or just our local.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Yeah in every contract negotiation year we see articles like this popping up. It's disingenuous to say "the sky is falling, they sold off a sector". Well the section had 3000 employees, that just sounds like a reasonable business decision if it's underperforming. Granted I have no idea what they did so I probably shouldn't be forming opinions either. What gets me is CBC almost highroading here when they're first at the trough for government handouts.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6317 posts
3093 upvotes
Manitoba
grilledscheese wrote: CBC treating the selling off or two relatively marginal, non-core parts of the business as if we are dismantling ourselves...

I'm really not sure why they act like we are a laggard on e-commerce. We're still the leading parcel delivery service in the country, or at least tied with UPS. Glad they could ring up an expert on corporate downsizing though, real great source there. On the other hand, why CUPW cannot or will not send out a spokesperson to give our side of things baffles me.
My understanding is Cp market share of parcel delivery is rapidly declining. It was the slowest Xmas ever.
Does Cupw even have a president?
Cupw can’t even hire professional negotiators let alone hear from anyone in the executive.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
nousername wrote: Heard starting march we are getting back the Amazon returns .don’t know if it’s countrywide though or just our local.
Wasn't aware we stopped taking them. Someone tell my back, which has been breaking from processing Amazon returns all day every day for the last five years!
Oct 27, 2021
152 posts
163 upvotes
airmail wrote: My understanding is Cp market share of parcel delivery is rapidly declining. It was the slowest Xmas ever.
Cupw can’t even hire professional negotiators let alone hear from anyone in the executive.
it was the slowest christmas ever because we are in a recession, and because every urban centre has an army of -- let's face it, i really don't mean this to be a racist PPC guy -- international students working white van delivery for pennies. i talked to small businesses, and they were paying as little as $5 to have shipments picked up and delivered locally, and the carrier of that was probably making $1 per piece, if that. that's not sustainable, not least of which because nobody does that job for very long.

our share of the parcel market between CP and purolator is still 30 percent, maybe slightly less when the 2023 numbers come in. yes, this year was bad but it was bad because the economy was bad, not because canada post is in a death spiral
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
airmail wrote: My understanding is Cp market share of parcel delivery is rapidly declining. It was the slowest Xmas ever.
I use to see smaller business bringing in parcels every day. Then all of a sudden I don't see them. Pretty sure they bailed to another shipping company. Happens all the time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5027 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
grilledscheese wrote: i really don't mean this to be a racist PPC guy -- international students working white van delivery for pennies. ....
Don't worry bro, as long as it's Canadians, with financial aide of their government doing the exploiting, it doesn't really count.
Oct 27, 2021
152 posts
163 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Don't worry bro, as long as it's Canadians, with financial aide of their government doing the exploiting, it doesn't really count.
keeping costs low for small business!

im actually curious to see how this new int'l student cap hits logistics and transpo, on top of the chainsaw it's going to take to the service economy. the amazons and intelcoms and road roosters/(insert bespoke startup local white van delivery here) of the country have been enjoying the expanding talent pool, i wager.
Dec 7, 2022
403 posts
429 upvotes
How dare you question immigration!

Rising housing costs and long waits at the Hospital makes us strongerFlexed Biceps

With immigration targets of 500,000 in 2025 things can only improve right?

Don't forget, as in the past follow CUPW orders and vote Liberal or NDP!

Anyone who questions this is a racist, or so I've been warned for the past 30 years at Canada Post!
Nov 5, 2022
204 posts
195 upvotes
SaraPie wrote: How dare you question immigration!

Rising housing costs and long waits at the Hospital makes us strongerFlexed Biceps

With immigration targets of 500,000 in 2025 things can only improve right?

Don't forget, as in the past follow CUPW orders and vote Liberal or NDP!

Anyone who questions this is a racist, or so I've been warned for the past 30 years at Canada Post!
Face With Rolling Eyes Lmao aren’t you retired now 🤣. Go enjoy that.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Bargaining Update
Share This
facebook sharing buttontwitter sharing buttonemail sharing buttonsharethis sharing button
Thursday January 25 2024
2023-2027/068
No. 10
During the week of January 15, the RSMC and Urban Negotiators met with Canada Post several times to continue bargaining.

Public Post Office Under Attack
At the Urban table, Canada Post launched an attack on the public post office. Claiming it needed more “flexibility” to better serve customers, the Corporation proposed eliminating the protection of 493 retail counters under Appendix “I”. Deleting this would allow the Corporation to close more than a quarter of the post offices staffed by CUPW members.

The Corporation’s proposal would do nothing to serve customers. We need to focus on service expansion projects like postal banking to keep our post offices financially viable and ensure good, full-time jobs stay in our communities.

Separate Sort and Delivery
On the Union side, the Negotiators sent a strong message that the Corporation put an end to its unacceptable Separate Sort and Delivery project. We showed the Corporation’s excessive reliance on routers to sort mail goes against the LCRMS. We spoke about the many negative emotional and physical impacts SSD has on carriers. Increased duties and growing workloads are leaving carriers with more aches and pains, more fatigue, more stress, and less enjoyment in the job.

Temporary Workers
The Negotiators brought forward several demands to improve the rights and benefits of temporary workers, including OCREs. It is time Canada Post recognize the value temporary workers bring to the Corporation.

We demanded temporary workers have access to more of the entitlements regular employees enjoy, including: an easier progression up the wage chart, health benefits, leaves, COLA, Union representation before the end of probation, and the right to be accommodated under Urban Article 54.

RSMC Time Values
At the RSMC table, the Negotiators continued their discussions about time values. This has been the main focus for RSMCs during Negotiations thus far. Issues outstanding from the Hourly Rate Committee have carried over into bargaining.

As discussions continue to move RSMCs from a pay system based on points of call and kilometres driven to an hourly rate, establishing safe work methods based on accurate time values is crucial to ensuring RSMCs are properly compensated.

The Negotiators have made three types of proposals. In cases where RSMC work is identical to Urban letter carrier work, the Urban time value should apply. In cases where RSMC work is similar to Urban work, a modified Urban time value should apply. Finally, in cases where the work is unique to RSMCs, a new time value should be developed.

While both sides have moved on some proposed values, there remains a lot of work to do.

Our Objective
Your Negotiating Committee is committed to bargaining in good faith to reach a negotiated settlement that meets members’ needs.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
https://www.forbes.com/lists/canada-bes ... 65462790ba

Canada post no where to be seen on this list. Maybe it would help if they did even MORE monitoring and micromanaging, and hopefully they can get the ability to hand out disciplinary action on electronic monitoring in the new contract. Because let's be honest.....who the heck wouldn't want to get a five day suspension for forgetting to set a parking brake on a flat road, and be micromanaged to death !!!!!
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Maybe just buy modern vehicles with an automatic electric ebrake and speed limiting technology? No, if we can't get luxuries like AC, parcel racks and backup cameras that won't happen. Driving a beat-to-shit Christmas rental Transit XL was actually nicer than my 90,000km odo Transit. It had heated mirrors and a 360 camera! Why can't our fleet XLs get those?
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
I guess I'll be reading Appendix "I" later!

All this talk of RSMC time values and pay is interesting. I don't think the RSMCs in my depot would change a thing about their job, except less flyers! They seem pretty happy with their 4-5 hour work days but I don't know how it is in other parts of the country.
Apr 6, 2018
124 posts
117 upvotes
Maybe it's just me but it's a little scary to see postal banking mentioned in the 2nd paragraph. If this was the 1980's I'd probably think it was a great idea but even older people are able to use devices now to do online banking and that will just keep expanding. It also was just as greedy as regular bank loans interest-rate-wise from what I remember - so is it really "for the community" or just an idea the union thinks could be a money grab cause they know banks make a lot of money?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

mailzilla, ohreally