Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Hugh Jass wrote: FYI, holiday pay is on this Thursday's paycheck. Gross looks really nice, net not so much.
QFT. I was like jumping for joy when I saw gross. Then I saw net.......
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: QFT. I was like jumping for joy when I saw gross. Then I saw net.......
you'll get much of it back when you file your tax return next year
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: QFT. I was like jumping for joy when I saw gross. Then I saw net.......
QFT? What does it mean? Same here, what a difference between net and gross!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
laszlozoltan wrote: you'll get much of it back when you file your tax return next year
I thought that last year but I got back $100. If you don't have other deductables ( kids etc), CPC gets your reductions close to what you should be paying.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
we've 3 kids my wife and I got near 3g back; we had a few big buck weeks between some rather small income periods- if you work one job steady the return will be less as the tax deducted will be more consistent with actual earnings.
Apr 12, 2011
745 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hugh Jass wrote: I thought that last year but I got back $100. If you don't have other deductables ( kids etc), CPC gets your reductions close to what you should be paying.
This. On the plus side, the last few paychecks before the end of the year were much larger for me (less deductions), because CPC had already reached the maximum amounts to be deducted.
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
Found out today: scored top of my class...9 people.

Lost the "seniority lottery" - 8th of 9 new hires, and 42nd overall in KW area.

F***.

The struggle begins... ;)
May 4, 2013
25 posts
I work today for my second time in two weeks on a new route. I was ready for it...when to check it out the area the day before and let do this....till I got so many mail and crap of magazines and so on...plus 3rd party mail (junk) by the time i was finish it was like 1 pm AGAIN ...started at 6am in the morning...I was tick off. They remove my parcel off my hand and still I work till 7 pm ...I just dont get it. Every time they call you is like 2 weeks later and you are always new to a route. How can you get pro active and confident working on those routes. I was chatting with one of the supervisors and he was totally agreeing with me. Told me it is not the casual fault but every damn time one of you come in ...well the routes always get screw up ..and the owner of the route come in next day...he or she get piss off and so on. And we do say..not the casual fault...does not know your route and last time got in was like maybe over a week ago.

Getting discourage.
Nov 12, 2009
42 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone help me out with this?

I am a term, and I'll be going away for 2 weeks in August.

Should I inform my staffing officer prior to going away or just answer the phone call while I'm away and inform him that I am unavailable for 2 weeks if they call?

Thanks
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
70 upvotes
WINNIPEG
xxkittenxx wrote: Can anyone help me out with this?

I am a term, and I'll be going away for 2 weeks in August.

Should I inform my staffing officer prior to going away or just answer the phone call while I'm away and inform him that I am unavailable for 2 weeks if they call?

Thanks
I like to be proffessional about stuff like this, let them know.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Benched for next week. Haven't been in over a year. Was offered to bump a three hour shift from 430pm but told them to stick it. I'd have to drive at least an hour to get there. Not worth my time. So many things to do around the house and I swear I heard my golf clubs calling me last night ;)

We should be getting our holiday pay next week so that'll do nicely. Holiday is what I'll have.
benched...ah yes..one day work in April and one week working pt in May and nothing so far in June. Holiday pay definitely welcome! but this fkn sucks. (pardon my language) I'm sending out resumes to practically anywhere that isn't minimum wage. I'm tired of hearing hang in there, I'm can't see it getting better and even people there for ages say they haven't seen it this bad. As I noted before; my EI is done and only by making my bf move in can i pay my mortgage (bills are as i get some money) If this is a way to push us out to hire the lower rate terms, then give me the option for $19/hr (or whatever it is) and I'll take the pay cut as long as i get the hours. Last year only 2 weeks benched all year. So frustrated.... :mad:
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
raptorfan wrote: benched...ah yes..one day work in April and one week working pt in May and nothing so far in June. Holiday pay definitely welcome! but this fkn sucks. (pardon my language) I'm sending out resumes to practically anywhere that isn't minimum wage. I'm tired of hearing hang in there, I'm can't see it getting better and even people there for ages say they haven't seen it this bad. As I noted before; my EI is done and only by making my bf move in can i pay my mortgage (bills are as i get some money) If this is a way to push us out to hire the lower rate terms, then give me the option for $19/hr (or whatever it is) and I'll take the pay cut as long as i get the hours. Last year only 2 weeks benched all year. So frustrated.... :mad:
It's a terrible way to hire people. You never know if they're going to call tomorrow or next week or next month.

About 4yrs ago in Toronto, there were a lot of terms that weren't called for 9 months. One guy I talked to said he had got another job and then one day CP called and said "Are you available on Monday for an assignment?", as if there was no gap in contact. Buddy didn't even think he had a job there anymore. But he was working a crappy job for $12 an hour, so went back to CP.

Good luck in the near future, it should pick up around now. In fact, I was given a lot of choices for next week and a bud that's about 50 behind me on the list got a ft walk for the week.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 13, 2010
304 posts
27 upvotes
i know term in sclpp was benched in 2009 jan to 2010 summer.
Dec 19, 2012
5 posts
Toronto
My husband's EI ran out in March 2013 but he worked enough hours last year to start another claim. He worked from November 2012 -April 2013 so he worked enough hours to qualify. If you worked more than 590 hours (I believe that's what the Ontario # is) then all you have to do is go online and start a new claim. All the hours that you worked last year count towards EI because you paid into EI....even though you still had a claim going last year. You should apply online....it can't hurt. Just make sure that Human Resources send your record of employment to Service Canada. I wish you the best of luck!
Mar 26, 2013
14 posts
1 upvote
Winnipeg
I'm getting a call once a week still, so far only on Fridays. they left a message today and sounded annoyed i wasn't available ... i have guaranteed checks until July 5th with shaw so i'm finishing training there so i know i can pay my bills. Once a week ain't going to cut it. Received my stub for the one shift I worked a few weeks ago, literally 50% of it went to CUPW, which means I deposited below $10 an hour for that shift... not even minimum wage. If i were available to even answer the call when they called, I need at least 2 shifts a pay period to even make it worth my time.
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hello all!
Does anybody know anything about a CPC plane that did not leave Toronto (bound for Vancouver) with mail & parcels? Volumes on Friday were very light with only 2-3 parcels for routes that get several times that and 1/4 or 1/3 tray of mail for most walks. Supposedly it is coming Monday, and it is going to suuuuuck. LOL
Aug 18, 2010
27 posts
4 upvotes
Has anyone worked at SCLPP as a temp po4? My cousin is a temp po4 at Gateway and is thinking of transferring to SCLPP as he lives close by. Is this a good choice or not? Also, Why is everyone moving from SCLPP to Gateway?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2619 posts
49 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: It's a terrible way to hire people. You never know if they're going to call tomorrow or next week or next month.

About 4yrs ago in Toronto, there were a lot of terms that weren't called for 9 months. One guy I talked to said he had got another job and then one day CP called and said "Are you available on Monday for an assignment?", as if there was no gap in contact. Buddy didn't even think he had a job there anymore. But he was working a crappy job for $12 an hour, so went back to CP.

Good luck in the near future, it should pick up around now. In fact, I was given a lot of choices for next week and a bud that's about 50 behind me on the list got a ft walk for the week.
Hugh i see you're in Oakville, don't know if ur working out of that station as I am, but I know #4 on our term list isn't working next week so far. She was gonna work Georgetown but then it was given to Milton RLCs. I checked the vacation schedule and doesn't look like much movement until June 17th, unless a day pops up here and there.
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
70 upvotes
WINNIPEG
What did i get myself into, took a LCA position 5am-13:00 this week???? Never been inside.

Just happy to have a schedule, have not been scheduled for 7 weeks.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)