Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 10, 2007
202 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to be off-topic guys. But I figure you guys may know this.

I have a tracking number that worked until the package passed through the custom. Now, when I check it online, it says, "duplicate tracking number", which yields no result. What's wrong with the package?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: please tell me out of the 650 houses....some were townhouses..if not ..what a pig of a walk
Hahaha, that's what I thought when I first saw the header, but alas, no. And there's quite a lot of stairs in places too, one of the 'stairsiest' walks I've ever done. But usually it's very light on mail, so I can skip houses all over the place. Lots of older Italian/Portuguese folk that wouldn't even have a computer let alone order anything online, so parcels are non-existant, only two yesterday. I have 673 houses, the walk next to mine has 733 houses iirc, she rarely finishes on time, but she takes her breaks and yaps on the phone while in the station.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
z_24 wrote: Sorry to be off-topic guys. But I figure you guys may know this.

I have a tracking number that worked until the package passed through the custom. Now, when I check it online, it says, "duplicate tracking number", which yields no result. What's wrong with the package?
Might be a case of Canada Post putting another barcode on the item if there's duty owed on it. But they're meant to merge the two and you can still track it using either barcode. Is it something that may be hit with duty?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
handsomepolack wrote: My old neighbour LC had the Eaton Centre and area back in the late 70's- 95, that's the reason i brought it up, he loved his job, but near the end, they were adding to his route, he retired angry! The next time i see him i'll get a litte more info the good,the ugly parts of one of the most coveted routes, the others were in the underground financial district Bay and Adelaide area. cheers.... stay cool on Friday.
Some of the best routes in the city are right downtown in the financial district ( Depot 1, very high seniority station, first three guys have 43,41&40yrs) . The sheer volume of mail means that most of the job is sorting flats and most of the big companies are callers/directs. Add apartment buildings to that and you've got routes with virtually no walking.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 25, 2013
65 posts
15 upvotes
has anyone ever gotten in trouble for putting up their sequenced mail? i haven't, but just curious. i feel like supervisors don't really care....
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote: has anyone ever gotten in trouble for putting up their sequenced mail? i haven't, but just curious. i feel like supervisors don't really care....
Depends on the depot/station. I know downtown at Commissioners they cracked down on it, strictly no seq mail at the case, not even for bundling, but I left a couple of days after the crackdown so dont know how the enforcement went.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
131 upvotes
TORONTO
Hugh Jass any Po4's or driver type jobs down at 600 commissioners ? i would like to get a little more central to the downtown core.
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hugh Jass wrote: Hahaha, that's what I thought when I first saw the header, but alas, no. And there's quite a lot of stairs in places too, one of the 'stairsiest' walks I've ever done. But usually it's very light on mail, so I can skip houses all over the place. Lots of older Italian/Portuguese folk that wouldn't even have a computer let alone order anything online, so parcels are non-existant, only two yesterday. I have 673 houses, the walk next to mine has 733 houses iirc, she rarely finishes on time, but she takes her breaks and yaps on the phone while in the station.
Gotta love those ones! We have a few of those who day in, day out are dead last to finish on high seniority routes. I thank them for making terms like us look good!
Nov 10, 2011
648 posts
140 upvotes
VANCOUVER
What a heavy week! Lots of bills coming out earlier in the week as already mentioned, tubs and tubs of XX, and then lots of HH. Yesterday I had 10 sets of HH for 300 calls for one section!! And these HH were really pushing the limits of what is considered "Standard" size and weight. Y/day I had maybe 20 letters for each apartment, but then a overfilled relay bag of just HH!! Some quick math and it was a $50/day HH bonus but I wouldn't want to do it every day!! :razz: So much for "Summer volumes"!!
On a side note, does anyone know what was in those letters that CPC sent out as XX (addressed admail)? About every 2nd house got one, but I didn't get one to my own home....just wondering!
Jul 4, 2013
22 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Hey Folks,
I'm a full time lc, 8 years, and am considering going inside. I hear the working conditions at gateway are better than at south central. Does anyone know how long it would take to get into gateway, and what transfer form I would fill out? Would I have to go part-time since my seniority is limited? Any shared advice/experiences regarding gateway and/or south central would be much appreciated.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16033 posts
678 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Hugh Jass wrote: Some of the best routes in the city are right downtown in the financial district ( Depot 1, very high seniority station, first three guys have 43,41&40yrs) . The sheer volume of mail means that most of the job is sorting flats and most of the big companies are callers/directs. Add apartment buildings to that and you've got routes with virtually no walking.
This. So true. I covered a route for a week for Depot 1 earlier this year. I really thought all the good senior routes were gone with PT, NOPE! So senior! I was in heaven! The sort itself is heavy-ish but like you said it is mostly just callers/directs. The actual mail you take with you is so little. Plus you take taxi to and from the place. And it is basically all mail room/indoors so you can use PATH system to stay cool in summer and for heat during winter. So senior! I miss depot 1. The only trouble I had was hailing a taxi from downtown back to 600. No one wants to pick me up because the taxi chit amount is fixed and it costs more to go to 600 than the amount they get. I have to walk from University to like Parliament before a taxi will pick me up :(
ahnaatjai wrote: has anyone ever gotten in trouble for putting up their sequenced mail? i haven't, but just curious. i feel like supervisors don't really care....
ymmv. The walk I am currently on the computer can't sort the letters properly because it is a weird address. Like it is one address but they have diff names like A1, B1 etc. and the computer can't seem to sequence it properly so I spend over an hour sorting the lettermail&flats.
postiewiththemostie wrote: What a heavy week! Lots of bills coming out earlier in the week as already mentioned
I know! Hydro bills and canada/ontario gov't cheques/tax related/refund etc. Brutal. Hopefully next week will be chill.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5486 posts
2154 upvotes
Winnipeg
postiewiththemostie wrote: What a heavy week! Lots of bills coming out earlier in the week as already mentioned, tubs and tubs of XX, and then lots of HH. Yesterday I had 10 sets of HH for 300 calls for one section!! And these HH were really pushing the limits of what is considered "Standard" size and weight. Y/day I had maybe 20 letters for each apartment, but then a overfilled relay bag of just HH!! Some quick math and it was a $50/day HH bonus but I wouldn't want to do it every day!! :razz: So much for "Summer volumes"!!
On a side note, does anyone know what was in those letters that CPC sent out as XX (addressed admail)? About every 2nd house got one, but I didn't get one to my own home....just wondering!
The Cpc xx addressed admail is telling people about their hold service for when they go away on holidays....
Jun 25, 2013
65 posts
15 upvotes
[QUOTE]No one wants to pick me up because the taxi chit amount is fixed and it costs more to go to 600 than the amount they get. I have to walk from University to like Parliament before a taxi will pick me up
[/QUOTE]

ya, i don't understand why they switched to this fixed amount on their chits. that is ridiculous that you have to walk all the way to parliament just to take a taxi back to commissioners. the last time i worked down at 600, they had just switched over to fixed amounts and the cabbies were still picking me up from downtown even though the end amount would be more. i guess they've (cabbies) finally had enough of that...

i really don't like it at commissioners. i try to avoid stations g,j and h like the plague.
Jan 13, 2013
1 posts
MONCTON
how long does it take to receive transfer after filing transfer request papers ... as a temp letter carrier ???? i;s been over a month ???thx
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote:
i really don't like it at commissioners. i try to avoid stations g,j and h like the plague.
Hahaha yeah, there's a few ok walks there but some real pigs. But when staffing calls and says all they have is a walk at H, you don't really have a choice. Only thing worse is being relief at those stations and being plonked on a different walk each day. I benched myself to get away from that position.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 25, 2013
65 posts
15 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: Hahaha yeah, there's a few ok walks there but some real pigs. But when staffing calls and says all they have is a walk at H, you don't really have a choice. Only thing worse is being relief at those stations and being plonked on a different walk each day. I benched myself to get away from that position.
aaand that's why i always kind of let out an exasperated sigh whenever staffing calls me with assignments there.

i've been up at Ray for the past month and a bit. it's further from where i live (downtown), but i love the vibe there so much better. are you still there Hugh?
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
69 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Can someone tell me and explain to me what the RELIEF LC pay should be??
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
fredsub12 wrote: Can someone tell me and explain to me what the RELIEF LC pay should be??
$1.50 more than reg. rate.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
69 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Hugh Jass wrote: $1.50 more than reg. rate.
After a year and a half i finally got that rate, first time at a new depot and i guess the guy paid me right.

Do i have any recourse for backpay?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12347 posts
3577 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote: aaand that's why i always kind of let out an exasperated sigh whenever staffing calls me with assignments there.

i've been up at Ray for the past month and a bit. it's further from where i live (downtown), but i love the vibe there so much better. are you still there Hugh?
Yeah. Had a walk for 4 weeks now, walk owner is on long term disability leave, has never even done the walk and they went pt a year ago. Apparently he picked it over the phone without even looking at the header. I might be here for a while, as none of the ft reliefs want it, lots of stairs. A buddy of mine down at J has been on the same walk for 11 months now, same situation as mine. He's 40 behind me on the list, so has been able to dodge being benched a few times coz he's assigned to that walk.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

biggerthanfun