Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ahnaatjai wrote: has anyone ever gotten in trouble for putting up their sequenced mail? i haven't, but just curious. i feel like supervisors don't really care....
It seems like supervisors personally don't care, but will get advised to crack down on things periodically. There are signs posted all over, but their attitude seems to change on it every 3 months or so.

Riverdale is right, big office buildings or malls wiith units that are not addressed perfectly make "sequenced mail" useless.

I've found that on first wave routes, you are sitting around for 45 mins waiting for depot support to release PCIs or you can just put your sequenced mail up. Seems like a no brainer.

If you're in a depot which is ruthless with putting up sequenced, what do you do on an overtime sort? Seems unfair to get paid the full split and only spend 20 mins sorting.
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
fredsub12 wrote: After a year and a half i finally got that rate, first time at a new depot and i guess the guy paid me right.

Do i have any recourse for backpay?
Hey Fred I think you actually have to be filling in for a Relief Assignment to get the RLC pay. I know that temps do the same work as a relief does jumping from walk to walk but if you are not back filling for a Relief Carrier I do not believe you get relief pay. Otherwise all temps would get the extra buck and a half.
Each office has x amount of Relief assignments to cover the different absences, if it is an actual Relief Carrier off that you are covering than you get the extra money.
If you have been working as an acting Relief you could grieve and get the back pay.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
sistereliza wrote: Hey Fred I think you actually have to be filling in for a Relief Assignment to get the RLC pay. I know that temps do the same work as a relief does jumping from walk to walk but if you are not back filling for a Relief Carrier I do not believe you get relief pay. Otherwise all temps would get the extra buck and a half.
Each office has x amount of Relief assignments to cover the different absences, if it is an actual Relief Carrier off that you are covering than you get the extra money.
If you have been working as an acting Relief you could grieve and get the back pay.
+1

And if you are assigned a walk but when you get there they put you on day-to-day, you're entitled to rlc pay. I have had backpay on this a few times. Pita to sort out but worth it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
pike18 wrote:
If you're in a depot which is ruthless with putting up sequenced, what do you do on an overtime sort? Seems unfair to get paid the full split and only spend 20 mins sorting.
Check the header, most sorts now include a couple of tie-outs too. E.g: Sort + 1,2,7,8 etc

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Hugh Jass wrote: Check the header, most sorts now include a couple of tie-outs too. E.g: Sort + 1,2,7,8 etc
I've noticed that on some, but most of the OT sorts I've done don't include any tie outs and still take well less than an hour.

We always put up the sequenced mail on OT sorts because its such a pain in the ***** to dig through sequenced mail looking for your tie outs when breaker cards rarely begin and end where they're supposed to, except for the most straight forward routes. Do other depots usually do this?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
pike18 wrote: I've noticed that on some, but most of the OT sorts I've done don't include any tie outs and still take well less than an hour.
In that case, you're probably being paid by time, not by split, just like if you were on modified duties ( if that makes sense).
We always put up the sequenced mail on OT sorts because its such a pain in the ***** to dig through sequenced mail looking for your tie outs when breaker cards rarely begin and end where they're supposed to, except for the most straight forward routes. Do other depots usually do this?
Yeah, from what I've seen, splits are generally allowed to be merged. But I'm sure there are some supervisors that dont allow it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 4, 2013
22 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Re: relief pay: Find a union rep and get a grievance started.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
Postero wrote: Re: relief pay: Find a union rep and get a grievance started.
You don't have to do that. Talk to staffing, tell them the exact dates you should get paid as relief and they'll fix it. If they were to refuse, then grieve it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 9, 2012
175 posts
16 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Hi Can anybody tell me if there is parking at 55 tempo working in the afternoon at this station? Has anyone done a part-time route at this station or any other station how long are part time routes? Thanks for your help
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mailman655 wrote: Hi Can anybody tell me if there is parking at 55 tempo working in the afternoon at this station? Has anyone done a part-time route at this station or any other station how long are part time routes? Thanks for your help
I've done part time routes anywhere from 3.5-6.5 hrs. Most have been gravy, but others have been a rash.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2796 posts
522 upvotes
Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote: You don't have to do that. Talk to staffing, tell them the exact dates you should get paid as relief and they'll fix it. If they were to refuse, then grieve it.
Do you talk to the staffing spvr at depot or staffing officer who calls and assigns the job?
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Sep 30, 2010
540 posts
132 upvotes
mailman655 wrote: Hi Can anybody tell me if there is parking at 55 tempo working in the afternoon at this station? Has anyone done a part-time route at this station or any other station how long are part time routes? Thanks for your help
never worked out of there
google earth doesn t look like street parking is permitted- I would say give it a try if you were morning and have to take your chances, but afternoon, you have time to call and touch bases with the supervisor there. I think that would really be your best bet. have a good one.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12275 posts
3545 upvotes
GTA
CouponKindaGuy wrote: Do you talk to the staffing spvr at depot or staffing officer who calls and assigns the job?
The ones that call on the phone.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
Guys, i have this delema with tranferring from West Gateway to South Central. With all the transferring going on to Gateway, as a temp, im trying to find out the best solution. At West I work out of Depots and out of Gateway. If I go to SCLPP, I work only out of there. It is my understanding that there are a lot of l/c transferring to Gateway.

Are there any temps on here that are working at South Central, that can give me some insight? Truely Confused!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3537 posts
939 upvotes
GTA
golfhead4 wrote: Guys, i have this delema with tranferring from West Gateway to South Central. With all the transferring going on to Gateway, as a temp, im trying to find out the best solution. At West I work out of Depots and out of Gateway. If I go to SCLPP, I work only out of there. It is my understanding that there are a lot of l/c transferring to Gateway.

Are there any temps on here that are working at South Central, that can give me some insight? Truely Confused!!!
Hours have been pretty steady for midnight casuals at South Central and Gateway as of late.
Hours have been slim for afternoon casuals at South, even slimmer for those at Gateway.

Lots of South casuals I still keep in touch with are mostly midnights and they are just waiting for Perm status. Still getting hours though.

golfhead4, have you been benched for a while and were getting lots of shifts prior to being benched? If so, try getting an ROE and apply for EI while you wait...
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
jaszy wrote: Hours have been pretty steady for midnight casuals at South Central and Gateway as of late.
Hours have been slim for afternoon casuals at South, even slimmer for those at Gateway.

Lots of South casuals I still keep in touch with are mostly midnights and they are just waiting for Perm status. Still getting hours though.

golfhead4, have you been benched for a while and were getting lots of shifts prior to being benched? If so, try getting an ROE and apply for EI while you wait...
I talked to a guy at Gateway and he said that night shift at South Central is pretty steady. Hopefully I get the night shift.

I tried to get Ei but didnt have enough hours since last time. So they said!!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2796 posts
522 upvotes
Ontario
If you get an interview can one go in and review the rte that is in question?
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Oct 8, 2012
520 posts
131 upvotes
TORONTO
Hi Jassy, so South Central is ok to transfer to, from Gateway? midnights so be it, i need work.
Jan 8, 2013
59 posts
7 upvotes
OSHAWA
handsomepolack wrote: Hi Jassy, so South Central is ok to transfer to, from Gateway? midnights so be it, i need work.
OKAY, I pushed the button to. I sent in my transfer form. Hopefully, I get work that lasts.

Whats your seniority date handsomepolack?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

explorer11, timetotellthetruth