[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
good read

like this one

Demands which would address the problem of forced overtime (Demand #69) -Our demands would restrict forced overtime and allow a better
quality of work and home life balance

remember in the past got forced back 4 days in a row as im in a small depot and that week of being forced back, lost 10 pounds and felt so weak,,,,,are we the only company in Canada that the employer forces you to work afer your shif t is over, if not you get disiplined
pike18 wrote: Some food for thought when evaluating where you stand on voting on this CA.

http://www.cupw.ca/sites/default/files/ ... -%20EN.pdf
Apr 30, 2015
906 posts
708 upvotes
York, ON
Art. 33 is your best friend for refusing forcebacks.

That said I agree 100%. Forceback clause is ridiculous and abused all the time. I'm voting no because of the single bundle and force back not being addressed.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5408 posts
2114 upvotes
Winnipeg
tarjet wrote: Art. 33 is your best friend for refusing forcebacks.

That said I agree 100%. Forceback clause is ridiculous and abused all the time. I'm voting no because of the single bundle and force back not being addressed.
A few more reasons to also vote NO
1 year contract..the union is telling members to save up money for next time..lol
25 cent raise and nothing for the year before
Decreased flyer money..increased size..and less time to deliver
No extra stat day
Reduction in dental benefit percentage

And CUPW unfairly representing 40 thousand urban members.
What has Cupw gained for their employees in the last 10 years??
May 21, 2013
823 posts
374 upvotes
Montreal
garbage offer and a garbage union, time to take it to the trash.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2347 posts
1762 upvotes
at the chiropractors
http://www.cupw.ca/en/admail

The unions spin on the admail deal. Of course, it is exactly like we thought. It is all about saving 20 jobs across Canada, and it's only going to cost you and me thousands of dollars a year to do it. What about the health and safety issues involved with this cupw? What do you have to say about that? Are they going to have enough carts in each depot when everyone needs one? How about sleds in the winter, seeing how the carts don't work in a foot of snow? Maybe they can provide us with TFW's to carry the extra 100 pounds per loop? Maybe we can limit the loop sizes to 10 houses if we get 20 pounds of flyers per house...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 12, 2011
139 posts
71 upvotes
Well as mentioned prior, they gain $81 twice a month from 40k members. A/B that math vs what we're supposed to receive in the new contract.
Dec 23, 2011
308 posts
207 upvotes
toronto
I just wanted to briefly share my exp up to this point(My first day on the job). So I tailored my resume, got a call for interview, great interview, went through everything with hr, great trainers in class and in field, great sups great senpais, aced the written test and aced the sort test, great union guys. Everybody was so nice, and it was great. (Great customers too) Thought I am prepared to finish a route in about 10 hours. Now I get called it after training class today.

Just finished my first day on the job, was told to start at 10am (facepalm, should have went in earlier anyways) 10 and a half hours later, finished about half of the route plus all flyers, a/os, parcels. Did not reach my expectation of completing the job on day one, kinda sad. Flip case, never done that before, a bunch of new things to soak in quickly on a new route. I did get 4 full containers of sequenced, plus 6+ of manuel mostly heavy magazines (lost count just case after case after...), 40ish scannables, a bunch of sigs, rain, oh and a business route with apartments hiding in places that I have no experience with, will people please number their mailboxes, and sometimes units with no numbers. Though I'd have to say that everybody was really nice and try to be helpful all the time, really tried to help me succeed. I really appreciate all the help I got from everybody, it adds up little by little. Yes by the time I got out, several people has already came back and finished their route. So I shouldn't be complaining, the regular girl probably finish the day in 7 hrs if she felt like it.

Hope I can finish every day next week, with no mail left behind.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated, I have found new appreciation for my mail person and probably will prepare a gift for him/her. Did not know people gifted their mail person before this job.
Jun 23, 2005
106 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby
Lucyinthesky: Accuracy is more important than speed. Some people passed the test with a little less than 120 in 10 minutes.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1293 posts
359 upvotes
Westside
Had a great day today even though it was wet and nasty. Ended up getting my transfer to the zone closest to home, and without hesitation I accepted the first call. Then out of all the routes for relief, I was assigned one right around my area. What a difference it makes being at a depot where people are nice and helpful and the supervisors decent. I'm glad I didn't give up early on when faced with some real challenges and situations that I learned were just a test to get me where I am now. Hoping for more good days to come on the up and up. Stay safe out there brothers and sisters!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1714 posts
162 upvotes
onatrio
is this am all cmb depot or depot have walking routes
fishhunting wrote: I just wanted to briefly share my exp up to this point(My first day on the job). So I tailored my resume, got a call for interview, great interview, went through everything with hr, great trainers in class and in field, great sups great senpais, aced the written test and aced the sort test, great union guys. Everybody was so nice, and it was great. (Great customers too) Thought I am prepared to finish a route in about 10 hours. Now I get called it after training class today.

Just finished my first day on the job, was told to start at 10am (facepalm, should have went in earlier anyways) 10 and a half hours later, finished about half of the route plus all flyers, a/os, parcels. Did not reach my expectation of completing the job on day one, kinda sad. Flip case, never done that before, a bunch of new things to soak in quickly on a new route. I did get 4 full containers of sequenced, plus 6+ of manuel mostly heavy magazines (lost count just case after case after...), 40ish scannables, a bunch of sigs, rain, oh and a business route with apartments hiding in places that I have no experience with, will people please number their mailboxes, and sometimes units with no numbers. Though I'd have to say that everybody was really nice and try to be helpful all the time, really tried to help me succeed. I really appreciate all the help I got from everybody, it adds up little by little. Yes by the time I got out, several people has already came back and finished their route. So I shouldn't be complaining, the regular girl probably finish the day in 7 hrs if she felt like it.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated, I have found new appreciation for my mail person and probably will prepare a gift for him/her. Did not know people gifted their mail person before this job.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12277 posts
3547 upvotes
GTA
fishhunting wrote: I just wanted to briefly share my exp up to this point(My first day on the job).
*snip*
Great attitude to have.

Everyone starts off like this, you just have to get through the first couple of months, then you really start to speed up. Even more so when you get to know the areas you're delivering.

Bear in mind when a station gets a restructure, all those LCs that are used to finishing early on routes they know very well, put in overtime the first few days on their new walks. This just goes to prove that being on an unfamiliar route takes time, even for experienced people.

You should be asking your staffing super for 'help' when you're brand new. Ask them if it's possible to get a split taken off you, because you don't think you'll be able to deliver all the mail in time. In our station, most new people are given that break.

Never start early, you'll be just working for free and always put in your overtime if you've worked it. They design these routes to be long, so make sure they pay for it. So many new people are afraid to put in for OT and the corp loves it.

One tip I'd give is to make your bundles small. You need all the dexterity in your hands you can get when you're outside opening doors and gates, lifting up mailslot covers, using your PDT and of course getting flyers out. I've been on routes where someone else had tied out and they've made the bundles about 10lbs each. Makes life very tough outside.

Quick question: Were you trained on the new PDTs or the old ones?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1024 posts
612 upvotes
LONDON
fishhunting wrote: I just wanted to briefly share my exp up to this point(My first day on the job).

Always look or ask if the regular carrier left a cheat sheet to help you deliver the route easier. Plus be patient, it's a slow frustrating grind at CP and it does get easier. If your in a depot with helpful carriers (not useless slugs) you'll catch on in a matter of weeks.

Good luck!!
Apr 30, 2015
906 posts
708 upvotes
York, ON
fishhunting wrote: I just wanted to briefly share my exp up to this point(My first day on the job). So I tailored my resume, got a call for interview, great interview, went through everything with hr, great trainers in class and in field, great sups great senpais, aced the written test and aced the sort test, great union guys. Everybody was so nice, and it was great. (Great customers too) Thought I am prepared to finish a route in about 10 hours. Now I get called it after training class today.

It's just the way it goes the first couple days. My first day I was lucky enough to have half the route taken off and it still took me 8 hours. If you stick it out, it will get better. Business and apartment heavy routes are especially bad when you're new. You want to try and get routes with houses only because they're the most straightforward.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1293 posts
359 upvotes
Westside
My first assignment I was on a foot walk 10-12hr days. I managed to finish but that was the hardest 2 weeks of my life at any job. I've been on routes since that there's no way I could finish even with OT then got grief by supervisor. I stay away from certain depot now as my health is worth more than any amount of money.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
2347 posts
1762 upvotes
at the chiropractors
480 hours for probation. They can offer you full time on day one if they feel like it.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....