Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12268 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
mflower wrote:

Btw, what do you think of the new PDT, guys?

IMO, it's a good improvement but needs more upgrade.
Definitely much better than the previous ones. A couple of minor tweaks and it would be great. Namely, the screen timeout is too quick and the tiny button to wake it up is a btch with gloves on. I heard somewhere that they will change those soon.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 16, 2017
169 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote: Definitely much better than the previous ones. A couple of minor tweaks and it would be great. Namely, the screen timeout is too quick and the tiny button to wake it up is a btch with gloves on. I heard somewhere that they will change those soon.
Yes, I agree totally.
But I don't know about when they say 'soon' Face With Stuck-out Tongue
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1738 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
I wish the PDT could break down out packages/parcels. Like Yonge St. 5 parcels or better yet be able to break down the address for us. I mean all that data is already stored in the tracking number and downloaded via itinerary. Or when you download itinerary and you have a priority package, tell me the address of the priority package. Don't tell me the tracking number...
Jan 16, 2017
169 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
da_way wrote: I wish the PDT could break down out packages/parcels. Like Yonge St. 5 parcels or better yet be able to break down the address for us. I mean all that data is already stored in the tracking number and downloaded via itinerary. Or when you download itinerary and you have a priority package, tell me the address of the priority package. Don't tell me the tracking number...
You'd think we can get that kind of feature when CP call themselves 'Canada's No.1 parcel delivery company' or whatever!
But that'll take years, probably because they are working hard for making our job harder than easier!
Jan 5, 2014
274 posts
295 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
PDT update pushed a week ago for us. Side button turns it and the sign spot is now in green highlight. Added a % to the battery indicator but the timeout is to fast I agree.
Jan 5, 2014
274 posts
295 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
If the PDT had addresses it would totally allow me to fix my exceptions at the end if the day not to mention save all that time writing down stops. Easy no brainer upgrade....
May 21, 2013
823 posts
374 upvotes
Montreal
Agreed, it would be cool to have the PDT give you a break down of all the addresses of the items you scan.

Or if you're a part timer/full timer doing a parcel route, have the option to scan your parcels and have the PDT able to break down the route to follow in which would be the most efficient to get them delivered. Too many times I see people come into work, get thrown into a parcel route, a paper map and a good luck.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16019 posts
677 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Haven't visited this thread in awhile!

Been blessed with a non strict start time depot.

Agree with insane asylum comment, the place I am at there is meowing, screaming, and banging on objects to make loud noises daily but I got used to it now. I feel like in time I may end up being those people who makes those kooky noises but until then I will be the way I am now not making said noises.

I also was offered use of a microwave when I was eating my lunch in a transit! I politely declined and then switched to a stepvan and I ate in the back part closing the front part so I cannot be seen by outsiders. Was also offered water bottles and or snacks from various businesses

Wait we only get 5 days? I have like 7 or 8 right now, so I need to use them before July or I will lose them/get them paid out?

I am ready for strike, always was.

Yes those stairs are brutal, I left a walk asap as soon as I found out how many stairs it had. There is no cutting in between either, there are fences that force you to go up and down stairs each house.

+1 for safety first, supervisors(at least for me) have been saying not to deliver mail if its ice/snow not clear.

I was on a walk before a customer complained I didn't deliver mail (it was not safe due to snow/ice), my supervisor next few days shows me an email of the customer who took a pic of his place he shoveled after I left, he was holding the newspaper of that day and everything. Whack. I swear he shoveled it after I passed his house but I didn't take a pic.

As for the CP online tool thing yes I have received complaints from customers/businesses. I agree with them and tell them I am only a letter carrier but will pass on the message and I did.

As for the new PDTs, loving the battery life, but maybe its just mine but since they pushed that battery % indicator my PDT isn't as fast anymore and it lags a bit sometimes. Also the location thing comes on like its tracking me sometimes.

---------

Anyways was a bit lazy ish recently, didn't get around to checking my mail for 2 weeks~, I got to check my mail recently and yes t4's have been delivered.

Anybody part of Toronto local? I got that voting package and not sure who to vote for certain things.

I know I will be voting for Whitfield, Warren and Parry but the rest I am not sure of.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12268 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
33966 wrote:
Anybody part of Toronto local? I got that voting package and not sure who to vote for certain things.

I know I will be voting for Whitfield, Warren and Parry but the rest I am not sure of.
Got my T4 Monday, never received the voting pack. I only would've voted for two people anyway, Ina Patel and Bruno Rossi.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 16, 2017
169 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
33966 wrote:
I also was offered use of a microwave when I was eating my lunch in a transit! I politely declined and then switched to a stepvan and I ate in the back part closing the front part so I cannot be seen by outsiders. Was also offered water bottles and or snacks from various businesses

I go to this small building, they have a kind of hidden lounge area, rarely people there so I eat there often.
Not a big fan of eating in a Transit either.

I haven't received the voting pack, either. When is the voting?
Oct 12, 2011
139 posts
71 upvotes
New PDTs are decent, would've been great if the bottom was flat instead of a ship hull for a battery. Always fun to try and balance it while it rolls back and forth entering name for signature.
Apr 30, 2015
900 posts
700 upvotes
York, ON
You should have got it. Deadline to for them to be mailed back I believe is tomorrow. The local probably doesn't have an up to date address for you if you didn't get one. Mine was sent to my old address and I only got it because I have a COA. Even though I updated my address in person at the local office months ago.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12268 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote: You should have got it. Deadline to for them to be mailed back I believe is tomorrow. The local probably doesn't have an up to date address for you if you didn't get one. Mine was sent to my old address and I only got it because I have a COA. Even though I updated my address in person at the local office months ago.
I've had the same address as when I started at CP and have gotten voting cards before.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 16, 2017
169 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
tarjet wrote: You should have got it. Deadline to for them to be mailed back I believe is tomorrow. The local probably doesn't have an up to date address for you if you didn't get one. Mine was sent to my old address and I only got it because I have a COA. Even though I updated my address in person at the local office months ago.
Same as Hugh, my address hasn't changed but I asked my family and sure enough, somebody got it, buried under other mail and stuff.

Thank you tarjet for the info, otherwise I'd never find it!
Jul 7, 2014
344 posts
260 upvotes
Burlington, ON
For those that are interested...negotiations link

http://www.scarboroughcupw.org/download ... 2017_E.pdf

Can anyone comment on the wage discrepancy for urban new hires vs the old contract...Did the two tier wage structure actually get voted on or was it forced upon employees?
Also assuming pay equity issues get hammered out with the RSMCs could this have an affect on urban employees who are on the new wage structure ? Possibly make the wages equal for urban new hires as well?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12268 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
Slotstuffer wrote: PDT update pushed a week ago for us. Side button turns it and the sign spot is now in green highlight. Added a % to the battery indicator but the timeout is to fast I agree.
Of course I noticed the green signature bit and the blue 'congrats you're finished your barcoded items' change but never knew the side button change until you said it. Cheers. Will be passing the message on to my coworkers.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 12, 2011
710 posts
579 upvotes
Etobicoke
Hugh Jass wrote: Of course I noticed the green signature bit and the blue 'congrats you're finished your barcoded items' change but never knew the side button change until you said it. Cheers. Will be passing the message on to my coworkers.
The side button only wakes the PDT from black screen, but it doesn't 'lock' the screen back to black like the old PDTs would.. At least for me... Everything else sounds the same (green signature space/actual % of batter remaining/etc) And yes the LAG happens when scanning multiple items (there's like a half-sec forced delay) and also after entering employee # (twice for some reason) and clicking LOG IN, the PDT takes a good 3-5 minutes to boot up onto the main menu screen sometimes..

And I never got my voting package in the mail... I have received it in the past...
Jan 16, 2017
169 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Love when an article like this doesn't focus about customers or customer sevices.
People would love door to door service rather than cmb and the freezing lock and carded items??

CP just 'invests' lots of money on sh!itty stuff, not good materials & parts for cmbs, Transits, PDTs, etc.
That, of course creates more angry customers.

Oh and why don't we get rid of all the extra vice presidents and their bonuses, that will save some millions, right?

And reduce the #s of supervisors per station??
Hire better ones so less grievances?

Better training and start for new hires, so the turnaround rate will go down, which saves money, too.

I can go on and you guys probably have more ideas to save money for CP!
Jun 25, 2016
60 posts
37 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
Christmas 2016 was a blockbuster for Canada Post, shattering every previous parcel delivery record. During the critical holiday period – which includes November, December and the first two weeks of January – the company played a central role in helping Canadian businesses grow through e-commerce. It set these and other delivery records:

• 26 days on which Canada Post delivered one million parcels. That’s 10 more Million Parcel Days than last Christmas season, and it was only four years ago – on December 13, 2012 – that Canada Post delivered one million parcels on a single day for the first time.
  • 20 consecutive Million Parcel Days. We delivered 1 million or more parcels on each business day from November 28 to December 23. With significant planning, investments and hard work, we met unprecedented demand and delivered a positive customer experience to Canadians.
  • An all-time single-day record for parcels we delivered to Canadians – 1.52 million – on December 5, 2016. That was the equivalent of delivering about 3,620 parcels per minute.