Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
As I am not an adjuster, I can only answer these questions to the best of my knowledge.

If a person is charged with drinking and driving, this is a violation of the insurance terms and coverage to their own vehicle will not be covered.

in ontario, we claim our damages under our own policies under the direct compensation portion of our policies. If someone else is reponsible for our damage, it would be considered a not at fault accident and coverage would fall under this section of the policy.
frugal1 wrote: Not sure if this has been asked and answered before, but I was always curious about whether an insurer would cover cases such as the following:
  • You drive carelessly and cause damage to your vehicle and some one else's vehicle.
  • You drive drunk and cause damage to your vehicle and some one else's vehicle.
In either case, you have been found guilty.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10688 posts
1884 upvotes
Last year I paid $85 for my auto insurance per month. This year my renewal says $107 per month! 27% increase. NOTHING has changed to my status as of last year. How can this be?

I drive a '93 Corolla, 112km, I am a 26 y/o male.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Last year I paid $85 for my auto insurance per month. This year my renewal says $107 per month! 27% increase. NOTHING has changed to my status as of last year. How can this be?

insurance is not just about you. It's about the whole as well.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10688 posts
1884 upvotes
rems wrote: insurance is not just about you. It's about the whole as well.
I know but 27%??? I am with Wawanesa
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I know but 27%??? I am with Wawanesa
If you're not happy, you're free to shop around and go with a different company.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10688 posts
1884 upvotes
rems wrote: If you're not happy, you're free to shop around and go with a different company.
I know, but I just wanted to know if there was a general reason why insurance rates would go up so much.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1063 posts
547 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: As I am not an adjuster, I can only answer these questions to the best of my knowledge.

If a person is charged with drinking and driving, this is a violation of the insurance terms and coverage to their own vehicle will not be covered.

in ontario, we claim our damages under our own policies under the direct compensation portion of our policies. If someone else is reponsible for our damage, it would be considered a not at fault accident and coverage would fall under this section of the policy.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I know, but I just wanted to know if there was a general reason why insurance rates would go up so much.
Yes poor returns and worse experience...
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2005
1166 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
hackex wrote: Yes he was asked by the adjuster whether it was bought privately or not. I still don't feel this is fair since the car which was purchased in place of the accidental was infact purchased through a dealer and he did end up paying the GST which he never received. Thus he was in a way penalized/put behind.
so is there a way to get back the gst somehow? the person at the bodyshop the car was taken to said once i was to buy the replacement i should be able to file for the gst, can someone validate this....thnx
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7504 posts
947 upvotes
Question: I got my license originally about 14 years ago, in 1995. After a while while living downtown, I lapsed and let my license expire and didn't bother renewing it because I had no need of it at the time. Now I've gotten my license back, gone through the whole graduated licensing program, at full G level, and now looking at grabbing a car and insurance. I got a copy of my drivers abstract and it gives my earliest license date available as the original license date of 1995, not the more recent time I went through the process in 2006. Does this have any effect on the rate I would get? What do I tell the insurance sales guy to explain that mess, without it sounding sketchy?
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Nov 13, 2004
123 posts
1 upvote
I worked for a car rental company last year for a period of time. They provided their employees with the store coverage while operating their vehicles, with a $250 deductible. I got into a couple of accidents, both of which involved filing a claim with the car rental company's claims department (they provide their own coverage), and the latter of which involved a police accident report.

I'm a student, and I've never had my own coverage, so I guess these were claimed under the company's coverage.

1) Am I obligated to report these when I get coverage for myself the first time?
2) Is there a way to check which incidents "show up on my record" so to speak (I live in Toronto)? Do they show up on the abstract?

Thanks for your time, I hope my questions aren't too specific
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Happy13178 wrote: Question: I got my license originally about 14 years ago, in 1995. After a while while living downtown, I lapsed and let my license expire and didn't bother renewing it because I had no need of it at the time. Now I've gotten my license back, gone through the whole graduated licensing program, at full G level, and now looking at grabbing a car and insurance. I got a copy of my drivers abstract and it gives my earliest license date available as the original license date of 1995, not the more recent time I went through the process in 2006. Does this have any effect on the rate I would get? What do I tell the insurance sales guy to explain that mess, without it sounding sketchy?
They will go by whats on your drivers abstract, if it shows 1995, then thats the date they'll use....also, they'll pull an insurance history report ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
porkchop009 wrote: I worked for a car rental company last year for a period of time. They provided their employees with the store coverage while operating their vehicles, with a $250 deductible. I got into a couple of accidents, both of which involved filing a claim with the car rental company's claims department (they provide their own coverage), and the latter of which involved a police accident report.

I'm a student, and I've never had my own coverage, so I guess these were claimed under the company's coverage.

1) Am I obligated to report these when I get coverage for myself the first time?
2) Is there a way to check which incidents "show up on my record" so to speak (I live in Toronto)? Do they show up on the abstract?

Thanks for your time, I hope my questions aren't too specific

an autoplus report will show all accidents you've had regardless of fault. Insurance companies use these reports when you apply for auto insurance in ontario.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12917 posts
4037 upvotes
GTA
speedyforme wrote: Last year I paid $85 for my auto insurance per month. This year my renewal says $107 per month! 27% increase. NOTHING has changed to my status as of last year. How can this be?

Have you called them and asked for a reason?

I recently called to query a small increase and the reason was explained to me.

But as others have said, try different companies. We've found Belairdirect to be the cheapest by a large margin.

Also, they might've found out your RFD username :)
Nov 13, 2004
123 posts
1 upvote
COSMIC5 wrote: an autoplus report will show all accidents you've had regardless of fault. Insurance companies use these reports when you apply for auto insurance in ontario.
Thanks for the response.
It says on http://portal.cgi-ibs.com/en-CA/iis/Pag ... eport.aspx

that they'll provide one report per year.

If I request one for my personal information, does this prevent the insurance companies from requesting one in my name when I get insurance for the first time?

P.S. 2000th post in thread :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
No.
porkchop009 wrote: Thanks for the response.
It says on http://portal.cgi-ibs.com/en-CA/iis/Pag ... eport.aspx

that they'll provide one report per year.

If I request one for my personal information, does this prevent the insurance companies from requesting one in my name when I get insurance for the first time?

P.S. 2000th post in thread :cheesygri
Jul 31, 2008
9 posts
Hi,

I (25 Male) got my G1 in 2005, G2 in April 09... drive a Corolla 03.... no accidents no tickets... nobody else on the premium - and my insurance is $223/month (Scarborough, comprehensive, 1000 deductible, with York Alumni discount and learning school certificate). A whopping $2672 a year!

How can I reduce my premium? This is the cheapest insurance i could get - TD Meloche Monnex. State Farm was the next best - $ 233 a month.

How much would my insurance go down when i get my G?

How does the star rating work?

Anything else i can do to reduce my premium?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2005
1166 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
hackex wrote: Just want to update, the accident was assessed 100% at fault and car was declared totalled. The insurance paid cost of comparable car + pst. They didn't pay gst saying that the car was purchased privately and so none was payed when it was bought............are they allowed to do this? I mean what if I were to go and buy another replacement car from a dealer and ended up paying gst afterall. Can I get this from them or is there no way around this?
bump, somone have an idea if he's eligible for the gst he had to pay when the replacement was bought?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7504 posts
947 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: They will go by whats on your drivers abstract, if it shows 1995, then thats the date they'll use....also, they'll pull an insurance history report ...
But would that affect my rate at all, or not really?The only insurance I've had for a while has been monthly with Zipcar.

Also, does it make a big difference to premiums if you have a separate car alarm installed, and if so does it matter which one? What about winter tires?
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes
Can anyone comment on this?

Husband and I are in our mid-thirties. We have been driving since we were our late teens. No tickets / convictions at all. Accident history:

Me: 1 at fault accident, more than 6 yr ago
Husband: 1 at fault accident last summer (small, but still at fault)

We live in GTA.

I got a quote in the 1,900 range, and also in the 3,000 range and in the 7,000 range (7,000 is from our current insurer where we've been insured on parents' policy forever!). Car is a 2009 Honday Odyssey. I am the primary driver.

Based on other people's posts here, even 1900 seems steep with a fairly clean history. Any comments? How can a quote go as high as 7,000? I called one other company and they wouldn't even insure us just based on me answering their initial questions, saying we have 1 recent accident on file.

Doesn't make sense to me. We are a very conservative family. Not high risk at all. Just doesn't seem right.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

cityhunter