Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Nov 13, 2004
123 posts
1 upvote
when insurance companies check your accident history, is the autoplus report the only thing that they check?

thanks,
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
4082 posts
723 upvotes
We're looking at getting our first car in the next few months... my gf turns 25 in September - is it worth waiting until after that date to get the car? i.e. do insurance rates drop at age 25, at least for women?
RFD'er since 2007 😎
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2599 posts
1148 upvotes
hackex wrote: bump, also would like to add another question; I was driving my bro's car in this case, the accident occured in the state of NY, does the MTO or the insurance companies have knowledge of my accident?
I don't think it really matters for the MTO unless you were charged. You went through insurance, of course they have knowledge of the accident.

mself084, it will make a difference with some insurance companies and not much or no difference with others. You can always call your insurance company/broker to advise them of the age change to see if it improves your rates. They can adjust during the policy year.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Yes, but they can also request an experience letter from prior insurers.
porkchop009 wrote: when insurance companies check your accident history, is the autoplus report the only thing that they check?

thanks,
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Insurance companies will adjust the policy to reflect the age of 25 for anyone, when requested.
mself084 wrote: We're looking at getting our first car in the next few months... my gf turns 25 in September - is it worth waiting until after that date to get the car? i.e. do insurance rates drop at age 25, at least for women?
Jul 17, 2009
7 posts
Ontario
Is speeding in a community safety zone considered a minor or major conviction? Will it show as speeding or speeding in a community safety zone on a driver's abstract? Also, how would this affect insurance premium if the policy is in spouse's name?

Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
You should call the MTO and ask them. Regardless of the type of ticket, this will only affect the person on the policy who got the ticket, not the policy holder.
redhead67 wrote: Is speeding in a community safety zone considered a minor or major conviction? Will it show as speeding or speeding in a community safety zone on a driver's abstract? Also, how would this affect insurance premium if the policy is in spouse's name?

Thank you.
Feb 6, 2009
217 posts
47 upvotes
Hi there, thank you for being available to hear questions.

I just got myself a new policy on my car, and the other day I realized that perhaps I made a mistake on one of my answers.

The question was how far do you drive to work? I drive to the train station and gave the distance to the station from my place.. but once in an odd while I do drive all the way to work, which of course, is farther than the train station.

If something was to happen, would my claim be disallowed simply because I was driving to work, and farther than the train station?

Do I need to phone them and tell them a new higher maximum value?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
We all know that once in a while driving situations change, perhaps you missed the train or you were needing to go to an apt after work, so you drove that day. If its a rare occaision, I wouldn't worry about it. If you find you are driving to work all the way more than what you have advised, call your broker and they'll let the company know.
Bugler wrote: Hi there, thank you for being available to hear questions.

I just got myself a new policy on my car, and the other day I realized that perhaps I made a mistake on one of my answers.

The question was how far do you drive to work? I drive to the train station and gave the distance to the station from my place.. but once in an odd while I do drive all the way to work, which of course, is farther than the train station.

If something was to happen, would my claim be disallowed simply because I was driving to work, and farther than the train station?

Do I need to phone them and tell them a new higher maximum value?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10065 posts
1938 upvotes
Toronto
Was just speaking to my parent's Insurance agent the other day, asked him a few general questions, is this true?

1. (Regarding insurance rate hikes coming, insurance losing money from investments)

He says in the past few years, insurance companies have not made any money at all, but the govern. has froze the rate increase for 3 yrs. Until next year, they got approved for raising everyone's rates

2. (If I keep getting hit by others, many times, not my fault, does that affect me or my rates?)

He says, if you get hit, 2-3 times within 6 years, it is "okay". But anymore than that, they will raise your deductable, and your seen as a higher risk driver. (he didn't exactly say the premiums will go up, but I got a sense he was hinting at that)
Oct 16, 2007
808 posts
41 upvotes
i have a car and is insured under my name. if i go for a long trip, can my friend drive my car for part of the journey? if he is at fault in an accident, what happens to my insurance? if he is not at fault, what happens too?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20588 posts
6041 upvotes
GTA
boumbo wrote: i have a car and is insured under my name. if i go for a long trip, can my friend drive my car for part of the journey? if he is at fault in an accident, what happens to my insurance? if he is not at fault, what happens too?
Insurance will follow the car.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Accidents do not show on a drivers abstract. If you did not file a report nor did a third party file a report, there would be nothing on an auto plus report to show you had an at fault loss. You can order a report yourself and check>http://portal.cgi-ibs.com/en-CA/iis/Pag ... eport.aspx
Bleys007 wrote: If you have an accident where the police show up, but no damage is done or claimed, insurance rates didn't go up, is this something that needs to be reported to insurance companies?

Also, take the above situation: You print out a driver's abstract, and there are no accidents listed. Would any (above) previous accidents need to be reported to new companies?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Quite a few ins companies have already put an increase on and many are to follow. If you are not at fault then why would a company increase your rates or increase deductibles?? Maybe if you put in 4 windshield or comp claims I can see the deductible being increased....perhaps your parents are with a direct writer with different rules than many...
rfdrfd wrote: Was just speaking to my parent's Insurance agent the other day, asked him a few general questions, is this true?

1. (Regarding insurance rate hikes coming, insurance losing money from investments)

He says in the past few years, insurance companies have not made any money at all, but the govern. has froze the rate increase for 3 yrs. Until next year, they got approved for raising everyone's rates

2. (If I keep getting hit by others, many times, not my fault, does that affect me or my rates?)

He says, if you get hit, 2-3 times within 6 years, it is "okay". But anymore than that, they will raise your deductable, and your seen as a higher risk driver. (he didn't exactly say the premiums will go up, but I got a sense he was hinting at that)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
If you give him permission to drive and he is legally lic'd in ontario, then its ok....any accident with your car will be on your insurance. But the accident will show on his record if he looks for insurance on his own from the AUTOPLUS report.
boumbo wrote: i have a car and is insured under my name. if i go for a long trip, can my friend drive my car for part of the journey? if he is at fault in an accident, what happens to my insurance? if he is not at fault, what happens too?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2007
1014 posts
374 upvotes
Mississauga
If you have an accident where the police show up, but no damage is done or claimed, insurance rates didn't go up, is this something that needs to be reported to insurance companies?

Also, take the above situation: You print out a driver's abstract, and there are no accidents listed. Would any (above) previous accidents need to be reported to new companies?
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Hello;

i received a speeding ticket back in January in Colorado. I paid the ticket as I was speeding but I wonder if it will show up on my drivers abstract causing my insurance to go up?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
256 upvotes
Burnaby
I'll be moving to Calgary soon (from BC, where you only insure the car, not per driver).

My fiance currently already lives in Calgary and has her own car insured as her being the primary driver, and no one else on the plan (since I don't currently live there with here).

Once I move there, I know that we have to add myself to her policy since we'll be living together.

My question is, for the time being when I go there and visit her, am I allowed to drive her car? I have a BC license.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1581 posts
1095 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
A question regarding rental car insurance... if I refuse coverage from the rental company, I automatically transfer my own insurance to the rental car, is that correct? Such coverage is included in all policies and is not an optional coverage, is that right?

If that's the case I don't really understand the the "Grand Touring Advantage" optional coverage from TD, it say it provides coverages if a car I'm renting or borrowing sustains damage. Can someone explain this to me?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
4082 posts
723 upvotes
Just started shopping for car insurance and saw a few brokers on RFD - anyone here recommend a good broker in Ottawa? Thanks!
RFD'er since 2007 😎

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Ash9001