Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
46 upvotes
bugmenot wrote: I meant, how long does it take to determine who's at fault?
Not long maybe a month max for must cases, if its complicated even longer no time period i say max two years
621 posts
46 upvotes
emilyny wrote: Thanks mafiastyles!

I have another question. My friend has a DUI conviction. He hasn't drove or been insured for a few years now. How long should he wait before his insurance will be affordable? Or does he need to be insured before his rates will go down?
Well its going to take 5 years before we dont count that ticket against him, after three years of the conviction, get a drivers abstract if doesnt show then hes good. Because if we cant see that dui then we cant rate against him
621 posts
46 upvotes
josipm wrote: When the insurance company asks how far you travel to work...is the mileage you travel taken into account for the insurance you pay?

If so, would you have a breakdown of the km's?

Thanks
not that much difference in price

short commute is under 25km
after that rate will go up a bit not that much though a few dollars

commute doesnt have a whole impact on premium not like the car, driver experience or the area u live
621 posts
46 upvotes
maxgohan wrote: what is the best area to live in to save on car insurance. within ontario
Ottawa, Hamilton, waterloo, windsor etc

anything in gta/416 looking higher rates
621 posts
46 upvotes
[quote="merc1212" post_id="4933921" time="1176234015" user_id="85597"]I just read through this and found it to be very informative - thanks for all the great info!

Now for my Qs:
1. I own a competitive off-road motorcycle - I am insured by the race track when I am riding there, but I'm a little worried about theft/fire as it is not covered under the home policy (found this out the hard way a few years back - damn those theifs!). Do you know of any insurance companies that would insure it against theft/fire only? Most seem to treat it like any other motorcycle and try to insure it for the road, but it is not street legal.

Try statefarm, Kingsway to see if they do standalone vehicles

2. Does going from common-law to being married (assuming you are over 25) affect auto insurance?

No affect at all

3. I had a small fender bender, the other vehicle was the only one with damage - I was at fault. I thought it was under $1000 so I didn't call the cops. It turned out to be $1200. I settled it without going through insurance - is there anything wrong with doing this?

Thanks!

No there nothing wrong for doing this

but what happens that person comes back 6 months later and pulls a "my neck hurts"?

or the person blames u with well it was a small dent, now my car is acting funny, doesnt drive right?

and then they take u to small claims court or worst u get a summon to appear in court and sueing for a million ?

If u want through insurance
its not ur worry anymore its the insurance company
something to think about :D

No says thank good for insurance because my accident i got sued for a million dollars they saved my butt

insurance is double edge sword lol
13 upvotes
OP: Here's a huge business opportunity for you...

Some insurance companies do not want to insure the RHD vehicles imported from Japan.

Sometimes it's just because the VIN's are not 17 digits! LOL!

If you can arrange to get insurance... I have a ton of referrals to send your way.

Typically cars like the Nissan Skyline are insured via 19a policies (appraisal value).

Note: All these cars are 15+years and older. They range from econo to SUV to sports cars. They are fully street legal and have provincial registration/ownerships.

Email [email protected] if you can help!

Thanks!
Mitch
Mar 24, 2006
405 posts
3 upvotes
Chatham
mafiastyles wrote: Hi mafiastyles, can you answer this question for me? just want to make sure..

so if i'm the registered owner and secondary driver, when i get into an accident, the principle driver will not be effected right? because you mentioned that accidents follow the registered owner and the driver :?:
Jun 20, 2006
73 posts
I have a question. We live in Toronto.

We have two cars in the household. One car is driven to work while the other is used during weekends. We work together so on weekdays, we just use one car. We decided to sell the other car, so I cancelled the insurance coverage once we received the deposit from the buyer and confirmation of pick up date. However, the buyer changed his mind and didnt want the car anymore.

The car has been sitting in the garage since. We are thinking about keeping the car since I will probably need a vehicle during the summer when I start my new job. Is there going to be a problem reinsuring the car. I told the insurance co. that the car was being sold when I called to remove coverage. Do I have to have insurance even though the car is not being driven?

Also, the plates are due for renewal end of this month and I cant renew without insurance. Does anybody know if there would be problem if I renew in June once I reinsure the car.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16133 posts
767 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
k so my friend is going to China for like 4 months, I can borrow his car right?

thx in advance for the helpful reply.
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
4 upvotes
When I get my G2, let say my home has 2 cars, do I have to pay insurance for both cars? Can I pay neither if I don't plan to drive them? Thanks
Dec 2, 2006
80 posts
2 upvotes
I had a small fender bender about 6 months ago. My vehicle was the only one with damage - I was at fault. Since there was no damage to his car, the other person did not ask for any money and was fine with not going through insurance. We didn't call the cops and I fixed my car on my own. However, we both decided to report the incident to the insurance company, to be safe and told them that there was no damage to either car and that we were not making a claim.
Now my policy is up for renewal and I am being told there is a claim number on my record and my insurance premium will be going from $257/mo to $439/mo.
Can the insurance company do this?? I mean I was calling just to report the incident so no one attempted to make a claim or sue me 6 months down the road. What are my options in this situation? I have tried going to a few other companies(StateFarm, Belair), but they are all saying that if there is a claim# on my record my premium will be a lot higher.
I am currently with TD Meloche Monnex have been insured for almost a year.
I am 29 with a G2 license. The car is 2002 Honda Civc 2dr LX.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6344 posts
5777 upvotes
Ottawa
Thinking about buying a pickup - how are they insurance wise compared to cars?

29 years old, one careless driving ticket, currently driving Ford Focus ZTS just outside of Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1136 posts
18 upvotes
Hey this is pretty cool of you to answer these questions for us :)

My question is.. my dad is the only one in my family who has a full G license (over 10 years now) and has only 1 car under his name. I plan to get my G1, and then G2 in this upcoming year, but I found a car now at a steal of a price. so my question is, can we get the 2nd car and put it under his name for now, and then in a year (or 8 months when i take drivers course) when i get my G2, have me be put as a second driver on that car? sorry if that was confusing.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2853 posts
242 upvotes
mafiastyles wrote: It will be decided on the day of the court, when its written ur still not guilty
Date of conviction is what we look at, not offence date
do all the insurance companies do that?

cause I've heard conflicting stories how people who have tickets are "guilty until proven innocent" rather than the other way around.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
46 upvotes
gin wrote: I have a question. We live in Toronto.

We have two cars in the household. One car is driven to work while the other is used during weekends. We work together so on weekdays, we just use one car. We decided to sell the other car, so I cancelled the insurance coverage once we received the deposit from the buyer and confirmation of pick up date. However, the buyer changed his mind and didnt want the car anymore.

The car has been sitting in the garage since. We are thinking about keeping the car since I will probably need a vehicle during the summer when I start my new job. Is there going to be a problem reinsuring the car. I told the insurance co. that the car was being sold when I called to remove coverage. Do I have to have insurance even though the car is not being driven?

Also, the plates are due for renewal end of this month and I cant renew without insurance. Does anybody know if there would be problem if I renew in June once I reinsure the car.

Thanks.

Theres no problem with reinsuring a car tell the insurance company the situation and they will re add it again, might send it out for a vehicle inspection report paided by the insurance company. but there no stress about happens all the time
621 posts
46 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: k so my friend is going to China for like 4 months, I can borrow his car right?

thx in advance for the helpful reply.
Yes if he gives u premission to drive it, remember accidents will follow both the driver and the registered owner so be careful
621 posts
46 upvotes
gamer123 wrote: When I get my G2, let say my home has 2 cars, do I have to pay insurance for both cars? Can I pay neither if I don't plan to drive them? Thanks
get the driver exclusion form opcf28a saying that u wont drive both vehicles and you should be fine
15048 posts
1360 upvotes
Markham
Dealz-4-U wrote: Hey this is pretty cool of you to answer these questions for us :)

My question is.. my dad is the only one in my family who has a full G license (over 10 years now) and has only 1 car under his name. I plan to get my G1, and then G2 in this upcoming year, but I found a car now at a steal of a price. so my question is, can we get the 2nd car and put it under his name for now, and then in a year (or 8 months when i take drivers course) when i get my G2, have me be put as a second driver on that car? sorry if that was confusing.

Thanks
2 cars in the family
2 drivers in the family
= 2 primary as far as insurance concerns

mafiastyles, correct me if i'm wrong
ShadowVlican
Sep 30, 2004
727 posts
117 upvotes
Markham
If you could please help me with this question:

My father got into an accident and was going to court to fight the ticket...The insurance people knows that he was the one that received the ticket therefore increased our insurance amount.

The day of the court - he went there and the person at the desk asked for his name, and then told him to go home (Everyone at the courtroom was told to go home)

Now I was wondering do I inform the insurnace company that the ticket was dropped? - would that reduce back the insurance?
Mar 16, 2007
8 posts
Grateful if you could shed some lights on my current situation:

I was paying approx. $270 a month for a Mazda 6 Wagon and Lexus IS350 with my x-wife and I being the primary driver respectively. When i removed my ex from the policy last week, they told me that the new monthly premium would be $20 dollars more with the marital status chang. This doesn't make sense for so called "higher" risk since, in reality, only 1 car is driven @ a time versus 2 cars????????

when inquired, they told me because i had a accident claim which was back in 1999........nonetheless, after 7 yrs it shouldn't matter. how can a single (in all ways) driver cost more than 2 drivers on the policy???

TIA!

SinnerT

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)