Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Feb 21, 2010
40 posts
gotcha! thanks :D
COSMIC5 wrote: I won't!! lol
it would depend on who your insured with...if she came from the US, canada will recognize her driving record/insurance... as mentioned, just give your broker a quick call to see what your options are!

Dont forget, you still need to advice your insurer that your wife has her G1...there is no charge for G1 drivers until they reach the G2 level or higher.
Oct 24, 2008
400 posts
48 upvotes
Arviat
okay Op i got a question. Both my parents have insurance, we have 2 cars at our home. MY bro has his G2, and im getting my G2 soon. IF I want to buy a car and insure it, do I have to put it under my name(primary), or my parents name, and then I can be secondary for cheaper insurance ? Thx I appreciate your help
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
bob24-39 wrote: okay Op i got a question. Both my parents have insurance, we have 2 cars at our home. MY bro has his G2, and im getting my G2 soon. IF I want to buy a car and insure it, do I have to put it under my name(primary), or my parents name, and then I can be secondary for cheaper insurance ? Thx I appreciate your help
You cannot have more cars than primary drivers.
Dec 5, 2007
622 posts
14 upvotes
Got question

My dad Has 2 vehicles( one Cuba van and suv). Is it possible to add third one to his name and put myself as primary driver.

Thanks guys
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Since this would be a 3rd vehicle and you have 4 drivers, even if it were in your parents name, you or your brother would be rated the principle op on it.
bob24-39 wrote: okay Op i got a question. Both my parents have insurance, we have 2 cars at our home. MY bro has his G2, and im getting my G2 soon. IF I want to buy a car and insure it, do I have to put it under my name(primary), or my parents name, and then I can be secondary for cheaper insurance ? Thx I appreciate your help
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
yes, if he has a 3rd vehicle and you are a lic'd op in the household, you would be rated on one of the vehicles.
tamil wrote: Got question

My dad Has 2 vehicles( one Cuba van and suv). Is it possible to add third one to his name and put myself as primary driver.

Thanks guys
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
actually there are many houses that have 3 vehicles with only 2 lic'd ops in the household, therefore more autos than lic'd drivers... :)
rems wrote: You cannot have more cars than primary drivers.
Jan 17, 2010
3 posts
Ive got a Jeep TJ, and im about to lift it and put it on some 33 inch mud tires, the lift is 4 inch kit and the tires will be big, do you think this will affect my insurance claim if i were to get into an accident? im in Montreal QC
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes
How does this work in Ontario? Can an at-fault driver directly be sued after an accident by the person s/he hit? Isn't that what no-fault insurance is for? Wouldn't that be settled between the 2 insurance companies?
Jul 25, 2006
201 posts
1 upvote
hi, this may sound stupid but someone told me that if you put a secondary driver onto the current insurance and if the secondary driver gets into an accident, the insurance bill will raise. Like it will raise not because now the secondary driver has a record of an accident , it will raise because the primary driver's needs take responsibility for it too. I guess what im tryin to say is if the secondary driver's name was removed from the insurance, would the insurance still go up after the accident? is this true? thank you
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4309 posts
415 upvotes
GTA
taicoo wrote: hi, this may sound stupid but someone told me that if you put a secondary driver onto the current insurance and if the secondary driver gets into an accident, the insurance bill will raise. Like it will raise not because now the secondary driver has a record of an accident , it will raise because the primary driver's needs take responsibility for it too. I guess what im tryin to say is if the secondary driver's name was removed from the insurance, would the insurance still go up after the accident? is this true? thank you
Dont know if it applies in all cases, but thats what happened to me with my dad. I got into an accident so our insurance company kicked us out. When he was looking for a new policy just for his name it was still on his record and was really expensive. The funny thing is he got a better rate after he added me again to the new policy.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
taicoo wrote: hi, this may sound stupid but someone told me that if you put a secondary driver onto the current insurance and if the secondary driver gets into an accident, the insurance bill will raise. Like it will raise not because now the secondary driver has a record of an accident , it will raise because the primary driver's needs take responsibility for it too. I guess what im tryin to say is if the secondary driver's name was removed from the insurance, would the insurance still go up after the accident? is this true? thank you
yes there will be a claim on their record
Jun 8, 2009
152 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
HI
I got side swept by another car doing an improper line change. The police officer filed the report as 100% not my fault.
The insurance company deemed 50-50% fault.
I just switched insurance companies and I discovered that the accident was considered 100% my fault.

What is going on???
:mad:
Aug 24, 2009
61 posts
9 upvotes
With insurance certificate.

Car Pontiac Trans Sport 1997 with 214'000 kms on it.

How much is acceptable insurance?

I hope I did not forget anything :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
depends on your location, prior insurance history, driving record etc etc...
Insurance does not look at the klm's on a vehicle or colour, just an FYI.

RayKon wrote: Age: 33, single, first driver, G2
With insurance certificate.
Car Pontiac Trans Sport 1997 with 214'000 kms on it.
How much is acceptable insurance?
I hope I did not forget anything :)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3661 posts
1264 upvotes
Toronto
Quick Question/Help Required;

I am a resident of Toronto, I own 2 cars, but my 2nd car currently has no insurance, does not get driven by anyone, and just sits on the driveway, but is fully fine.

My original car that is insured is currently in the shop to get some work done and due to parts being on back order, is going to be there for atleast another 6 days probably.

Right now I have no car - but I do have my 2nd car. Am I able to talk to my insurance company (Wawanesa) and switch the insurance from my 1 car to the 2nd car for a while, or am I able to get some sort of Temp. insurance for a week or 10 days until I get my first car back?

Can someone suggest anything or advise me?

Or is my only course here to rent a car?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1974 posts
423 upvotes
Question regarding discounting with multiple vehicles..

My family is with Wawanesa and we have a policy with 3 cars, principle drivers are my parents and myself and we are also allowed to drive any of the cars under the policy and my sis is a secondary driver.

Now, my car's lease is over (it was under my parent's name) and I bought a new car (didn't come yet) and as we checked with insurance, there appears to be a difference between putting the car under my name vs. my parent's name. I am just wondering, why does it matter whose name it is under in terms of household discount when we have the same address? I believe it's a price difference of $400-600 on a $2k-ish policy (my portion of it).
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
wmahmud wrote: Quick Question/Help Required;

I am a resident of Toronto, I own 2 cars, but my 2nd car currently has no insurance, does not get driven by anyone, and just sits on the driveway, but is fully fine.

My original car that is insured is currently in the shop to get some work done and due to parts being on back order, is going to be there for atleast another 6 days probably.

Right now I have no car - but I do have my 2nd car. Am I able to talk to my insurance company (Wawanesa) and switch the insurance from my 1 car to the 2nd car for a while, or am I able to get some sort of Temp. insurance for a week or 10 days until I get my first car back?

Can someone suggest anything or advise me?

Or is my only course here to rent a car?
you might need to get the car certified so as the insurance company knows it is safe to drive...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

User040219