Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
46 upvotes
Hi Dhlander,

If your mother in law drives it and involved in accident your own insurance company will pay for the repairs. Plain and simple
621 posts
46 upvotes
If the driver who was in an accident didn't have insurance anywhere, but they were driving an insured car, will they be covered?

Answer: If the registered owner gives premission (key word) then uninsured gets involved in accident ur insurance will cover ur own vehicle damages and any liabilty

hope answer ur question
621 posts
46 upvotes
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote: I've spoken with a few agents but never really gotten a straight answer. DOes liability premuims have much correlation with the make/model of car? I don't think it does, but there seems to be a little bit of difference.

answer: Liabilty premium have little or no effect on premium
insurance based on driver, where u live, vehicle, tickets/accidents

Also, in the case of fire/theft, how do they determine how much to pay out? Depreciated value? If you had major repairs or upgrades, are those covered as well?
answer: Fire/theft value is based on claims adjuster red book value at that time. repairs are not covered u spend $1000 to fix ur car and next day burns to a crisp, you will be paid actual cash value (key word). upgrades such as stereo and stuff are covered to certain limit check your policy wording.

Hope i answer ur u queston
3070 posts
51 upvotes
[QUOTE]answer: Liabilty premium have little or no effect on premium
insurance based on driver, where u live, vehicle, tickets/accidents
[/QUOTE]

What I mean is, if I only buy liability insurance, is it going to be a huge difference whether I drive a minivan or a sports car?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3127 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
how would a 4 point ticket affect my insurance?
i'm under economical insurance, under my dad's name
had an at fault accident at the previous company, new with this company this year, no claims so far
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
46 upvotes
Sorry about that ticket for stop sign.

You premium will go up average 5% for the first ticket. but you will not see the increase till renwal. shop around trying getting online quotes.

Did you go to driving school?
Who your current insurance company?

About the ticket is your word against the cop, so good luck
621 posts
46 upvotes
KawaiiTentacleBeast wrote: What I mean is, if I only buy liability insurance, is it going to be a huge difference whether I drive a minivan or a sports car?

Answer: Of coures price will be different for liability between bmw and dodge caravan, it each car has a vehicle rating.
621 posts
46 upvotes
ah_long wrote: how would a 4 point ticket affect my insurance?
i'm under economical insurance, under my dad's name
had an at fault accident at the previous company, new with this company this year, no claims so far

What type of ticket ?
3070 posts
51 upvotes
[QUOTE]Answer: Of coures price will be different for liability between bmw and dodge caravan, it each car has a vehicle rating.[/QUOTE]

I think what I heard is that if you drive an older car, it doesn't really matter. A 10 yr old BMW and a 10 yr old doge caravan will have more or less the same premiums?

I switched from an old minivan to an old sportscar and my premiums were almost exactly the same.
Aug 4, 2005
789 posts
8 upvotes
Stouffville
mafiastyles wrote: Answer: Of coures price will be different for liability between bmw and dodge caravan, it each car has a vehicle rating.
There is no vehicle rating for liability coverage. Most companies use 3 vehicle rating codes: one each for accident benefits, collision and fire/theft coverage.

Accident benefits is mandatory, like liability, so your premiums will always be affected in some way by the vehicle that you choose.
Jan 8, 2007
226 posts
32 upvotes
me and my wife each has a car and different insurance company, would us pay less if we have both car under 1 insurance company?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3090 posts
651 upvotes
Why do insurance companies hate me? :(

No, seriously - given 1 at-fault rear ending in 2002, and i'm turning 25 this May, am I likely to get any sort of discount?
Dec 13, 2003
477 posts
46 upvotes
Tomy wrote: Anyway, I planned to fight this on court (its soon, after waiting for a year)--and will my insurance climb? and what's my best defense as the intersection of the incident are always packed with cars waiting to cross the stop sign. in addition, it has recently been changed to Lights instead of the stop sign.
Your best defense is to try to have the case thrown out due to the amount of time you had to wait for a trial. You are entitled to a trial within a reasonable amount of time. 1 year is quite long. Do a google search on it, or just search this forum and you will find more info on this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5983 posts
156 upvotes
its 11 months to be exact, but can u give me hints on what to search? i've tried tickets, fighting tickets and nothing significant showed up.

but thanks tho!
[OP]
Feb 14, 2006
621 posts
46 upvotes
jet123 wrote: me and my wife each has a car and different insurance company, would us pay less if we have both car under 1 insurance company?

Of course most insurance companies have a multiple discount for car
on one policy or with the same insurance company

and bring your home over to the same company you also get a discount
the more business you give to a company more discount you will get
621 posts
46 upvotes
Jayhoo wrote: Why do insurance companies hate me? :(

No, seriously - given 1 at-fault rear ending in 2002, and i'm turning 25 this May, am I likely to get any sort of discount?

insurance companies dont hate anyone, its the media that gives a bad image and people.

your just like me jayhoo at fault accident in 2002 oct.
still on my record. one more year and that accident will be taken off and turning 25 you will see a major decrease in ur premium upon ur renewal
2685 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
HI Mafia, thanks for answering some of the questions, Here are a few of mine

1) we have a 1996 car, this year the premium went up ~10%, is that normal ? even though the car is getting older (worth less) no change in drivers, tickets, or any accidents.

2) My wife had an accident 6 yrs ago in july, our agent says it will be off the record this year July (7yrs), however, our renewal is in April. The quoted premium is still based on the driving record with an accident. Can you renew or reassess in july? or middle of the term?

3) My father in law and I are both registered in the same address, car ownership is under his name, and my car under my name. I was told by an insurance company that I can't have both these vehicles under the same policy, as it is under a different name. But if it was under my wife's name then it is fine. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6087 posts
813 upvotes
Toronto
- I mite be going on a vacation, do i need to do anything with home insurance?

- Recommend a bike insurance broker?
- Recommend a commercial insurance contact? (PM if need too).

Thanx in advance.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)