Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Jan 24, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote
I understand its hard to guess due to lack of information. If I did have an accident waiver on the year of the fender bender. the company offerred an Accident forgiveness the next year if I one is used already? Best move at the moment is to get Autoplus report. I understand the insurance determine who is at fault. Would an Autoplus determine if the other person reported to collision cente and determine who is at fault? Are you private broker or you work for a company? Would my broker discuss the Autoplus with me since am the only one on the current and previous policy?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
when you use your accident waiver protection for an at fault accident, it will still show on the policy and may show "being used" or activated. If you were to have a second at fault accident, it would not show on the next renewal.
usually an autoplus report will show both parties and their degree of fault... however, if the other party did not report it, then the likely hood their information will not show.

Yes, I've been an Independent Broker since early 1980's. The broker cannot provide you their copy of the autoplus report due to privacy laws; however, they can 100% tell you what is on it or you can obtain one on your own at https://iis.cgi.com/rapidweb/HelpFiles/ ... y_2015.pdf

BlueEagle88 wrote: I understand its hard to guess due to lack of information. If I did have an accident waiver on the year of the fender bender. the company offerred an Accident forgiveness the next year if I one is used already? Best move at the moment is to get Autoplus report. I understand the insurance determine who is at fault. Would an Autoplus determine if the other person reported to collision cente and determine who is at fault? Are you private broker or you work for a company? Would my broker discuss the Autoplus with me since am the only one on the current and previous policy?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Jan 24, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for taking the time answering to my queries. I smiled when someone in this forum asking for suggestion for a good broker and someone answered look up under you comment. lol!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
Glad I can help where I can!!
BlueEagle88 wrote: Thank you for taking the time answering to my queries. I smiled when someone in this forum asking for suggestion for a good broker and someone answered look up under you comment. lol!
Oct 31, 2018
29 posts
9 upvotes
In what event do we need a car inspection, and how common are they? My son needed photos taken of his car and odometer for a new policy last year and I had never heard of that happening before. The car was only 5 years old and was not financed or leased. There was no damage. His policy has gone up this year by almost $400 but he left shopping for new rates to the last minute. His excuse to not shop for new rates is that he won't be able to complete a car inspection in time because of COVID and doesn't want to cancel his current insurance before having new insurance finalized. Is he right at all or just lazy?
Apr 20, 2009
463 posts
162 upvotes
jross95 wrote: In what event do we need a car inspection, and how common are they? My son needed photos taken of his car and odometer for a new policy last year and I had never heard of that happening before. The car was only 5 years old and was not financed or leased. There was no damage. His policy has gone up this year by almost $400 but he left shopping for new rates to the last minute. His excuse to not shop for new rates is that he won't be able to complete a car inspection in time because of COVID and doesn't want to cancel his current insurance before having new insurance finalized. Is he right at all or just lazy?
Every insurer is allowed to determine their own rules when it comes to inspections.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
not every company requires an inspection. I'd still recommend shopping around
jross95 wrote: In what event do we need a car inspection, and how common are they? My son needed photos taken of his car and odometer for a new policy last year and I had never heard of that happening before. The car was only 5 years old and was not financed or leased. There was no damage. His policy has gone up this year by almost $400 but he left shopping for new rates to the last minute. His excuse to not shop for new rates is that he won't be able to complete a car inspection in time because of COVID and doesn't want to cancel his current insurance before having new insurance finalized. Is he right at all or just lazy?
Nov 23, 2012
55 posts
20 upvotes
SUDBURY
I recently bought a new vehicle and I removed my old vehicle that was traded in and added the new vehicle onto my existing insurance. I started looking at different quotes and noticed td insurance offers a 5 year vehicle replacement option that I would like As my current insurance only offers opcf 43 for 2 years. For me to cancel my current insurance id have to pay the mid term cancellation fee regardless but I also have a few atvs on my current policy that td quoted me higher and won’t add fire and theft to one of them because of age so if I kept my atvs on my current policy and switched my vehicles would I still get hit with the mid term cancellation fee?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1682 posts
1099 upvotes
Markham
codeman33 wrote: I recently bought a new vehicle and I removed my old vehicle that was traded in and added the new vehicle onto my existing insurance. I started looking at different quotes and noticed td insurance offers a 5 year vehicle replacement option that I would like As my current insurance only offers opcf 43 for 2 years. For me to cancel my current insurance id have to pay the mid term cancellation fee regardless but I also have a few atvs on my current policy that td quoted me higher and won’t add fire and theft to one of them because of age so if I kept my atvs on my current policy and switched my vehicles would I still get hit with the mid term cancellation fee?
Do keep in mind the premium cost for the new car replacement option goes up quite steeply every year. So by year 4, you will be looking at a few hundred $$$ just for that option.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2548 posts
274 upvotes
Scarborough
How long does accident stay on your record and how far back do insurance companies look back? I have been getting quotes online and they seem to go far back on your accident history with the questions asked. Reason I ask is I had two accidents, one is 2012 and another one in 2013 (both times I rear ended someone)..2018 I was involved in another accident which I was t boned but I was not at fault..It seems like the previous accidents are causing my rates to increase. No traffic tickets since 2013.
Telus EPP $50/20GB
Fido-$30/2GB, 1000 LD Minutes, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS worldwide
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1063 posts
508 upvotes
GTA
ninety5teg wrote: How long does accident stay on your record and how far back do insurance companies look back? I have been getting quotes online and they seem to go far back on your accident history with the questions asked. Reason I ask is I had two accidents, one is 2012 and another one in 2013 (both times I rear ended someone)..2018 I was involved in another accident which I was t boned but I was not at fault..It seems like the previous accidents are causing my rates to increase. No traffic tickets since 2013.
CAA went back 20 years. My experience has been 10 years with Travellers and Intact.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2548 posts
274 upvotes
Scarborough
dpw198 wrote: CAA went back 20 years. My experience has been 10 years with Travellers and Intact.
Wow..they really do go that far back...paying $442/month with the cooperators (been with them for 5 years now)..thats with my house and car (2018 BMW 340i), 2M with $500 deductible.
Telus EPP $50/20GB
Fido-$30/2GB, 1000 LD Minutes, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS worldwide
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
if you leave vehicles on a policy and remove 1, thats not cancelling, so no cancellation fee
codeman33 wrote: I recently bought a new vehicle and I removed my old vehicle that was traded in and added the new vehicle onto my existing insurance. I started looking at different quotes and noticed td insurance offers a 5 year vehicle replacement option that I would like As my current insurance only offers opcf 43 for 2 years. For me to cancel my current insurance id have to pay the mid term cancellation fee regardless but I also have a few atvs on my current policy that td quoted me higher and won’t add fire and theft to one of them because of age so if I kept my atvs on my current policy and switched my vehicles would I still get hit with the mid term cancellation fee?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8847 posts
1443 upvotes
Ontario
technically the auto application only asks for the past 6 years; however, one of my companies gives a 9 star (intact) therefore, if you have had an accident in the past 9 years, it will be rated accordingly. It appears you may qualify for a 7 star... all depends on your autoplus and drivers abstract
ninety5teg wrote: How long does accident stay on your record and how far back do insurance companies look back? I have been getting quotes online and they seem to go far back on your accident history with the questions asked. Reason I ask is I had two accidents, one is 2012 and another one in 2013 (both times I rear ended someone)..2018 I was involved in another accident which I was t boned but I was not at fault..It seems like the previous accidents are causing my rates to increase. No traffic tickets since 2013.
Jul 15, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Had my car written off, was under 2 years of age and I have endorsement 43 on my policy which applied in my case - they offered the lowest of the 3 factors (price paid, MSRP at the time and replacement cost) as the settlement amount, which was the actual price paid. Unfortunately, that will still put me a few thousand out of pocket to replace the car like-for-like with a new (not used) replacement. I haven't yet accepted their offer. Is this kind of offer a set-in-stone-you're-SOL kind of deal or can I reasonably dispute it to have them consider the replacement cost instead?
Apr 20, 2009
463 posts
162 upvotes
VangoghKitty wrote: Had my car written off, was under 2 years of age and I have endorsement 43 on my policy which applied in my case - they offered the lowest of the 3 factors (price paid, MSRP at the time and replacement cost) as the settlement amount, which was the actual price paid. Unfortunately, that will still put me a few thousand out of pocket to replace the car like-for-like with a new (not used) replacement. I haven't yet accepted their offer. Is this kind of offer a set-in-stone-you're-SOL kind of deal or can I reasonably dispute it to have them consider the replacement cost instead?
The endorsement specifically states you get the lowest of the 3 prices.
Aug 24, 2005
30 posts
46 upvotes
Looking to cancel TD Auto Insurance. The insurance docs state that "a cancellation fee will be charged based on your policy's cancellation table".
But there's no table in the doc. When I called TD, they looked up my policy doc and were surprised that there's no table.
I also checked the OAP 1 (Ontario Automobile Policy) and there's no short rate table in there either.

Can they charge me a penalty for cancelling if the table is not in the policy doc? They're telling me they can...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2548 posts
274 upvotes
Scarborough
How do I obtain my "star" rating?

Thank you
Telus EPP $50/20GB
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3538 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
VangoghKitty wrote: Had my car written off, was under 2 years of age and I have endorsement 43 on my policy which applied in my case - they offered the lowest of the 3 factors (price paid, MSRP at the time and replacement cost) as the settlement amount, which was the actual price paid. Unfortunately, that will still put me a few thousand out of pocket to replace the car like-for-like with a new (not used) replacement. I haven't yet accepted their offer. Is this kind of offer a set-in-stone-you're-SOL kind of deal or can I reasonably dispute it to have them consider the replacement cost instead?
the 43 does not include any dealership packages added to your bill of sale such as anti-rusting, 3M coating, ceramic wrap, admin/doc fees, extended warranties etc. just the basic vehicle
Apr 20, 2009
463 posts
162 upvotes
eypc wrote: Looking to cancel TD Auto Insurance. The insurance docs state that "a cancellation fee will be charged based on your policy's cancellation table".
But there's no table in the doc. When I called TD, they looked up my policy doc and were surprised that there's no table.
I also checked the OAP 1 (Ontario Automobile Policy) and there's no short rate table in there either.

Can they charge me a penalty for cancelling if the table is not in the policy doc? They're telling me they can...
Yes they can. There is a standardized short rate table. The insurance company only has to include the table if they choose to use a non standard table.