Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Jul 6, 2003
379 posts
4 upvotes
No insurance card in vehicle (but I do have insurance) and expired plates tickets. How do those tickets affect my ability to get insurance, I have always been a 2nd driver and I want to get my own insurance as primary.

I have had 2 previous speeding tickets (both minor 15km/h over) in 2007 and in 2008.

The two tickets I got above do they count as "moving violations?"

and how do insurance companies usually treat them?

Thanks.
FeedBack...
Ebay Refs. 56-0-1
Heatware 19-0-0
Oct 1, 2006
853 posts
4 upvotes
i was wondering to what extent does insurcance company cover a person if he or she doesnt have insurance but a valid license, and the car is insured

also, is there a possibility for a 19year old male to insure a RSX, for under $3000

TIA
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
jltapawan wrote: No insurance card in vehicle (but I do have insurance) and expired plates tickets. How do those tickets affect my ability to get insurance, I have always been a 2nd driver and I want to get my own insurance as primary.
I have had 2 previous speeding tickets (both minor 15km/h over) in 2007 and in 2008.
The two tickets I got above do they count as "moving violations?"
and how do insurance companies usually treat them?

Thanks.
Fail to produce evidence of insurance is a minor as is driving with expired lic plates. With your 2 speeding, you have 4 minor convictions. Most companies won't take you on their regular market for new business and will place you with a high risk company with usually the surcharge of 25%. Check with a broker and they'll let you know.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
DealAddictionz wrote: i was wondering to what extent does insurcance company cover a person if he or she doesnt have insurance but a valid license, and the car is insured

also, is there a possibility for a 19year old male to insure a RSX, for under $3000

TIA
if you have had no insurance experience, then more than likely you'll be rated a 0, but facility will allow a discount for drivers ed. Check with a broker to confirm as its dependant on what company they place you with.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3661 posts
1264 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: State farm is a direct writer which means they only sell statefarm product by an Agent....some companies have had a general rate increase this year, but not all..best is to shop around for a good "broker"..one that shops several companies on your behalf. If you need a referral, message me -
I would love to get the referral of a good broker who can help me get cheap insurance.

I have 2 minor speeding tickets (July 07 and April 08), with a clean record after that. Own a 2 Door 05 Cavalier Base Coupe, am 25 turning 26 in March 09.

Looking to get the cheapest insurance possible, looks like the 2 tickets I got are making a difference. Best rate I can get is $201.xx from Bel Air Direct a month.

Pls let me know who I can speak to, so I can get an even lower rate.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3661 posts
1264 upvotes
Toronto
Just a question...am I allowed to have the ownership of a car under my name but still be a casual driver for insurance purposes?

Reason I ask is because I moved the car under my name (ownership) from my dad's and had 2 speeding tickets so I am not getting a great price (best is $200 a month) where as being a casual driver under my dads insurance I was paying $150 a month as they have never did a check on me for a few years now and keep renewing the policy every year...

We have 3 cars and 4 drivers in the house..

Is it possible?? Would the insurance company just take note of the ownership change and thats it? Or do they even have to know?

Any help would be appreicated..thanks..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
The policy goes the same as how the ownership is written. If the car is registered to you, you should have your own policy and rated as the priciple operator. Do it right and you won't regret it in the end. I'm surprised your insurer never asked for proof of ownership...odd.. and you are obligated to tell them any material change in the risk...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3813 posts
23 upvotes
- was in an accident about a week ago
- i reported it to the police, got a report
- reported it to insurance

now the other party didnt report it to the police or insurance as of today (5 days have passed) according to my broker.

can she still report it? how will this effect my chances of being found not at fault?
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Oct 10, 2008
779 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
can you give me a rough monthly payment...

- 2001 toyota corolla
- 52 year old lady driving
- only g2 license, SO FAR

what should i expect? and what would be a good payment and bad payment?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!
Jul 29, 2007
127 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Hi there,
thanks for all the great info.
Here is some info about me:
Male 34, have license for 15 years, the only offense on over the years have been one accident one and 1 speeding ticket. I've been licensed with the one and only company (Meloche Monnex) for 9 years.

I was involved in an accident in 2004 and was convicted in early 2005. I was charged for careless driving *3 demerits points* but no charge to the insurance company as there was no claim or repair charge to them. From what I read here, it seems that they would know about it. But my insurance never rose rather dropped.

The speeding case was in april of 2008 and I was caught for 131KM/h on a 100KM/h zone (400). This would lead to a 4 demerit point. (I've pleaded not guilty and planning to fight as I believe that I have a good chance of winning.)

Here is my question:
How would this affect my insurance and what would be on my record.

thanks for your input.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
masterballer wrote: - was in an accident about a week ago
- i reported it to the police, got a report
- reported it to insurance

now the other party didnt report it to the police or insurance as of today (5 days have passed) according to my broker.

can she still report it? how will this effect my chances of being found not at fault?
I think she has 7days to report it, but not positive. If you have reported it to your broker, he passed on all her info to your insurance company and they will inturn contact her.

If you have a good broker, they should have explained how this process works to you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
lovevasi wrote: Hi there,
thanks for all the great info.
Here is some info about me:
Male 34, have license for 15 years, the only offense on over the years have been one accident one and 1 speeding ticket. I've been licensed with the one and only company (Meloche Monnex) for 9 years.

I was involved in an accident in 2004 and was convicted in early 2005. I was charged for careless driving *3 demerits points* but no charge to the insurance company as there was no claim or repair charge to them. From what I read here, it seems that they would know about it. But my insurance never rose rather dropped.

The speeding case was in april of 2008 and I was caught for 131KM/h on a 100KM/h zone (400). This would lead to a 4 demerit point. (I've pleaded not guilty and planning to fight as I believe that I have a good chance of winning.)

Here is my question:
How would this affect my insurance and what would be on my record.

thanks for your input.
Careless is a criminal code conviction. The speeding is a minor unless over 50 which would make it a major. Insurance companies DO NOT look at points, just the conviction and will only go back 3yrs. Sounds like the careless is off the record now and you only have 1minor. I would go to a local mto office and pay for a drivers abstract to be sure. Sounds like they know nothing of the at fault accident either....lucky u eh.

Maybe once you know u're down to 1 minor and no accidents on record, you could shop around for rate comparisons...

good luck
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
tr!xxy wrote: can you give me a rough monthly payment...

- 2001 toyota corolla
- 52 year old lady driving
- only g2 license, SO FAR

what should i expect? and what would be a good payment and bad payment?

any help is appreciated.

thanks!
I can pass on a referral to you if you need an auto quote.
Dec 9, 2006
844 posts
2 upvotes
Story:

About a year and a half, my insurance contract term expired, but I didn't realize it. I got a ticket for not having my pink slip (not a no-insurance ticket). My insurance premiums are now about $1000/year higher, as my current insurance company realizes I "owned a car without insurance". No tickets/claims, besides the $100 "no pink slip" one.

Is there any way I can get lower insurance? If I apply to a company and they don't ask about this, do I need to tell them?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3607 posts
1031 upvotes
Vancouver
Moving from BC to Ont at the end of next month and will be needing car insurance.

26 female, clean record, owned my car for the last 3 years.
98 honda civic coupe.

What insurance companies are recommended? I've tried getting online quotes, but just wondering if anyone's had favourable dealings w/ a certain company vs others.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
anycee wrote: Story:

About a year and a half, my insurance contract term expired, but I didn't realize it. I got a ticket for not having my pink slip (not a no-insurance ticket). My insurance premiums are now about $1000/year higher, as my current insurance company realizes I "owned a car without insurance". No tickets/claims, besides the $100 "no pink slip" one.

Is there any way I can get lower insurance? If I apply to a company and they don't ask about this, do I need to tell them?
Insurance companies go by whats on your drivers abstract - if that conviction is there, then its there. Also, you are under obligation to disclose all tickets, convictions, lic suspensions, cancellations and so on...all questions are on the application.

What is the actual conviction?

If its "operate motor vehicle - no insurance", its a Major conviction.

Fail to produce evidence of insurance is a minor conviction. As is fail to carry/have insurance card.

If your policy was cancelled by registered letter, then thats another black mark on you unfortunately...

If you want to pm me feel free....
Dec 9, 2006
844 posts
2 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: Insurance companies go by whats on your drivers abstract - if that conviction is there, then its there. Also, you are under obligation to disclose all tickets, convictions, lic suspensions, cancellations and so on...all questions are on the application.

What is the actual conviction?

If its "operate motor vehicle - no insurance", its a Major conviction.

Fail to produce evidence of insurance is a minor conviction. As is fail to carry/have insurance card.

If your policy was cancelled by registered letter, then thats another black mark on you unfortunately...

If you want to pm me feel free....
Thank you so much for your help!

I think it's just a "Fail to produce evidence of insurance" - I haven't actually seen my abstract, but I remember the police officer saying it wasn't for not having insurance.

My policy was never cancelled. I was shopping around for a new policy, and I ended up getting a quote for another policy that is substantially less. The agent at the other company didn't explicitly ask about it.

I called my current insurance for information on cancelling, and they told me I should tell the new company I had owned a car without insurance, that owning a car without insurance isn't allowed in ontario, and that the fact I had owned a car without insurance was in a central database and would show up when the policy was underwritten.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1219 posts
17 upvotes
They should create a list of the cheapest cars to insure (Kanetix only has like 10)
List is too vague
Aug 26, 2007
173 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
My info:

License: G2
Clean Record
Car: 4 Door 1997 Toyota Tercel
Insurance Company; TD
Monthly Payment: $435 for Liability only :|

I will have my G by December when can I expect to see my rate go down?

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

Unknown18281, absolut123, Cowblobs