Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
anycee wrote: Thank you so much for your help!

I think it's just a "Fail to produce evidence of insurance" - I haven't actually seen my abstract, but I remember the police officer saying it wasn't for not having insurance.

My policy was never cancelled. I was shopping around for a new policy, and I ended up getting a quote for another policy that is substantially less. The agent at the other company didn't explicitly ask about it.

I called my current insurance for information on cancelling, and they told me I should tell the new company I had owned a car without insurance, that owning a car without insurance isn't allowed in ontario, and that the fact I had owned a car without insurance was in a central database and would show up when the policy was underwritten.
Makes no sense to me man. If you were on the pay plan, the policy should have been continuous unless cancelled by either you or the insurer. Not sure what data base they were referring to...find out if they are talking about the Auto plus report.. other than that..no idea what it means
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2245 posts
233 upvotes
Thanx Cosmic5 for taking the time to enlighten us all..

I have a couple of questions...
1) a buddy of mine is sharing an apt with me...I have added him on my insurance policy as he doesnt have a vehicle of his own...if while he is driving he gets invloved in an accident or something...does it affect my insurance premiums down the road....he might be using my car for his work too..like field work..

2) when I got the policy I told the agent that i will be using my car only for pleasure...my circumstances have changed and I may be using the car for business too...Should i inform them of this..and How will it affect my insurance premiums....

Thnks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
addicted2it wrote: Thanx Cosmic5 for taking the time to enlighten us all..

I have a couple of questions...
1) a buddy of mine is sharing an apt with me...I have added him on my insurance policy as he doesnt have a vehicle of his own...if while he is driving he gets invloved in an accident or something...does it affect my insurance premiums down the road....he might be using my car for his work too..like fied work..

2) when I got the policy I told the agent that i will be using my car only for pleasure...my circumstances have changed and I may be using the car for business too...Should i inform them of this..and How will it affect my insurance premiums....

Thnks
No problem!!

First, What is fied? lol

2nd, yes it will go on your record for the accident.

If you are using your vehicle for business, you should definately tell them as you don't want to be on a business call and have an incident.....and you will be rated a class "07" but I don't know how that will affect your rate as I don't know the company, your details etc... should be that much I would think?

If you are with a regular market for the auto, you really should look into getting apt insurance - could reduce your auto rate , besides, if you don't have apt insurance and cause damage, can you really afford to pay for everyones claim including the building?

If you do have it, Fantastic!

cheers!
Jul 29, 2007
127 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: Careless is a criminal code conviction. The speeding is a minor unless over 50 which would make it a major. Insurance companies DO NOT look at points, just the conviction and will only go back 3yrs. Sounds like the careless is off the record now and you only have 1minor. I would go to a local mto office and pay for a drivers abstract to be sure. Sounds like they know nothing of the at fault accident either....lucky u eh.

Maybe once you know u're down to 1 minor and no accidents on record, you could shop around for rate comparisons...

good luck

COSMIC5, thanks for your time and info. I really appreciate your input. What is your thought on about the accident about:
I am still with the same insurance company but there was no claim on my insurance. So, my question to you is, eventhough I did not claim anything, would they still have my accident info on file (read somewhere on internet that accident info are kept on file for 5-6 years)? If they do, then would the speeding might affect my insurance?

thanks again for all your effort & kindness in answering our questions.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
lovevasi wrote: COSMIC5, thanks for your time and info. I really appreciate your input. What is your thought on about the accident about:
I am still with the same insurance company but there was no claim on my insurance. So, my question to you is, eventhough I did not claim anything, would they still have my accident info on file (read somewhere on internet that accident info are kept on file for 5-6 years)? If they do, then would the speeding might affect my insurance?

thanks again for all your effort & kindness in answering our questions.
If you want to make sure that accident isn't on your file, ask your broker to get you an experience letter from your insurer. This way if its there, it will show on the report and you'll know..This is different from an AUTO plus report as it only will come from the company you are presently insured with.

Depends on who the company is and how they charge for speeding tickets. Some charge 5%, some charge nothing for one.. some 20% for 2 and if you have 3, then more than likely you won't be renewed ....
Jul 29, 2007
127 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: If you want to make sure that accident isn't on your file, ask your broker to get you an experience letter from your insurer. This way if its there, it will show on the report and you'll know..This is different from an AUTO plus report as it only will come from the company you are presently insured with.

Depends on who the company is and how they charge for speeding tickets. Some charge 5%, some charge nothing for one.. some 20% for 2 and if you have 3, then more than likely you won't be renewed ....

Hi COSMIC5,
thanks again. I checked my driving record (from MTO), there is no demerit points. Next, as you suggested, I will check out with my insurance company. Would the insurance company be suspicious if I ask for an experience letter?

thanks,
Mar 16, 2007
410 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough
I'll be travelling to the states this november with my sister (22yrs old, i am 20). We are both listed on our family's insurance policy. Both of our credit cards do not have loss damage waiver coverage, although i may change to one with LDW/CDW.

What about liability insurance/third party stuff? Is that covered under my family's policy (where can i find out aside of calling up our agent)?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
lovevasi wrote: Hi COSMIC5,
thanks again. I checked my driving record (from MTO), there is no demerit points. Next, as you suggested, I will check out with my insurance company. Would the insurance company be suspicious if I ask for an experience letter?

thanks,
Insurance companies don't look at demerit points, just the conviction. Maybe you're shopping around for insurance and this is why you want the exp letter?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
Dough wrote: I'll be travelling to the states this november with my sister (22yrs old, i am 20). We are both listed on our family's insurance policy. Both of our credit cards do not have loss damage waiver coverage, although i may change to one with LDW/CDW.

What about liability insurance/third party stuff? Is that covered under my family's policy (where can i find out aside of calling up our agent)?
In order to drive a vehicle, you have to have liability insurance so I would assume the one you driving has it. Are you referring to Accident waiver protection? Not sure what LDW is.... also if you are to be in the states for longer than 30days, you must advise your insurer. Most will put a 5% surcharge per month on until you return. Check with your broker before you leave.
Dec 23, 2007
247 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Hello.
I'm going to buy a car next year. I never had insurance before but my family has a corolla. If i get insurance for the corolla for 1 year as a secondary driver will it help lower the rate for my own car next year? Will it be worth the money, as i rarely drive the family car?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
Accurim wrote: Hello.
I'm going to buy a car next year. I never had insurance before but my family has a corolla. If i get insurance for the corolla for 1 year as a secondary driver will it help lower the rate for my own car next year? Will it be worth the money, as i rarely drive the family car?
As soon as you receive your G1, you must advise your broker> rates will not be charged until you get your G2. The sooner you are listed on a policy the better it will help you in the end. I would add yourself as an occ'l operator ASAP to get the insurance experience, even if you won't drive it much...
Dec 7, 2003
203 posts
261 upvotes
Hello,

Wondering if someone could help out. I was coming out of a parking lot and parked waiting to turn onto the main road. A cyclist was riding his bike and didn't see the car and hits the side of my car. The cops came and notices that the bicycle did not have any brakes. The cops did not give a ticket to anyone. My insurance company tells me that i'm at fault (their reason is that if the accident involves a cyclist/pedestrian, the driver will always been 100% at fault). Is this true?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9457 posts
693 upvotes
Dough wrote: I'll be travelling to the states this november with my sister (22yrs old, i am 20). We are both listed on our family's insurance policy. Both of our credit cards do not have loss damage waiver coverage, although i may change to one with LDW/CDW.

You should also check if your policy has the endorsement to cover the damages for any rentals.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure if this has been asked, (I tried searching but couldn't find anything).

This covers a situation I know of 2 people, but will ask regarding 1 specific case.

Question:

Does the drivers (primary on each car) listed under the policy have to all live at the same address if one moves out or does a new policy have to be written with any new driver address changed & registered car? Does the car that has now moved have to be registered under the policy holder's new address (both license and plate)

How picky are insurance companies regarding who's registered where in the event of a family member moving out either not reporting a change in plate address, or registered owner, etc (all the zig zag combos out there, that is not straightfoward).

=============================================

Sorry for all the questions, but just throwing out the type of situations I see. I know this sounds a bit messy as it can get so. But I'll try to sum it up as I understand it:

1. My cousin and her father(my uncle) used to live together and the father used to pay for two cars -van and car- (so 1 is primary, other is secondary for each car).

2. Cousin moved out, also taking the car (registering the plate and driver's license info to new address). However, father is continuing to pay for both van and car payments to the insurance company.

*My cousin thinks that they are all covered still, and when he goes to visit back home or needs a additional car to drive, can drive the van that is registered under the father and old address.

*Also, what if the cousin who moved out didn't register the plate to the new address, but just the driver's license, and is driving the car from the new address location.

I'm thinking that if one moves out, you can't have one person covering the other anymore if there is a change of address. And that the car, if it does move with anybody moving out, needs to have their plate of car is registered and updated with the new address and a new policy written for that specific new location, while it is registered under the old address. *Basically, can they all still drive each other's car as if they were still living together regardless of license addresses & auto registration locations?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
at1212b wrote: I'm not sure if this has been asked, (I tried searching but couldn't find anything).

This covers a situation I know of 2 people, but will ask regarding 1 specific case.

Question:

Does the drivers (primary on each car) listed under the policy have to all live at the same address if one moves out or does a new policy have to be written with any new driver address changed & registered car? Does the car that has now moved have to be registered under the policy holder's new address (both license and plate)

How picky are insurance companies regarding who's registered where in the event of a family member moving out either not reporting a change in plate address, or registered owner, etc (all the zig zag combos out there, that is not straightfoward).

=============================================

Sorry for all the questions, but just throwing out the type of situations I see. I know this sounds a bit messy as it can get so. But I'll try to sum it up as I understand it:

1. My cousin and her father(my uncle) used to live together and the father used to pay for two cars -van and car- (so 1 is primary, other is secondary for each car).

2. Cousin moved out, also taking the car (registering the plate and driver's license info to new address). However, father is continuing to pay for both van and car payments to the insurance company.

*My cousin thinks that they are all covered still, and when he goes to visit back home or needs a additional car to drive, can drive the van that is registered under the father and old address.

*Also, what if the cousin who moved out didn't register the plate to the new address, but just the driver's license, and is driving the car from the new address location.

I'm thinking that if one moves out, you can't have one person covering the other anymore if there is a change of address. And that the car, if it does move with anybody moving out, needs to have their plate of car is registered and updated with the new address and a new policy written for that specific new location, while it is registered under the old address. *Basically, can they all still drive each other's car as if they were still living together regardless of license addresses & auto registration locations?
If the operator has moved out and changed the ownership to reflect the new address and owner, then a new policy must be set up as the policy must read exactly as how the ownership states.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: If the operator has moved out and changed the ownership to reflect the new address and owner, then a new policy must be set up as the policy must read exactly as how the ownership states.

Cool, thanks for the quick follow-up. However, what if the person B moved out with the car, changed their drivers license to address B, but did not update the car's plates/registration/ownership (still under address A).

While the other person (A) at Address A is insured as a secondary under the car physically at address B (which is still registered under Address A - and Vice Versa... Person B at Address B is still insured as a secondary for the Driver A and Van registered at Address A) .

This is mainly to keep insurance payments low as if under one roof still (prior to B moving out to address B). Is this allowed?

I want to basically advise of them that they should call their insurance company and make sure to confirm, as it is likely that Person B would also have to get a new policy and persons living at a different address cannot stay on as a secondary insured driver.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
at1212b wrote: Cool, thanks for the quick follow-up. However, what if the person B moved out with the car, changed their drivers license to address B, but did not update the car's plates/registration/ownership (still under address A).

While the other person (A) at Address A is insured as a secondary under the car physically at address B (which is still registered under Address A - and Vice Versa... Person B at Address B is still insured as a secondary for the Driver A and Van registered at Address A) .

This is mainly to keep insurance payments low as if under one roof still (prior to B moving out to address B). Is this allowed?

I want to basically advise of them that they should call their insurance company and make sure to confirm, as it is likely that Person B would also have to get a new policy and persons living at a different address cannot stay on as a secondary insured driver.
Bottom line is the policy is in the same name as what's on the ownership. The policy can have anyone as an occ'l operator regardless of where they live. If, however, the vehicle is garaged in a different territory as what the policy states, I think i'd advise the company. Don't cheat the system as it will bite you in the ass in the long run.
May 27, 2007
15992 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto
Hi guys,

I have a question again.
I currently hold a G1 license, if say, im going to drive, so i will get my G2 (i will also take insurance classes to low rates).

My parents will be adding me to their existing policy, but what's the difference between an Occasional and a Secondary driver?
(How will the rates be affected between the 2?)

I wont be driving much, most likely weekends or running errands... Which insurance option is best for me to save money? :confused:
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9257 posts
1816 upvotes
Ontario
Basically nothing. If you were over 25 and was the 2nd driver on one vehicle, you could pretty much say you're the secondary driver. Anyone under 25 will be charged occ'l operator premiums....make sure you have drivers ed and put yourself on the policy, you will thank yourself one day when you want your own car & insurance.

Please also note that AS SOON AS you get your G1, you must advise your insurance company of it... most ppl have no clue that you are suppost to do this..G1 has no premium charged until you reach the G2 stage...
May 27, 2007
15992 posts
4082 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: Basically nothing. If you were over 25 and was the 2nd driver on one vehicle, you could pretty much say you're the secondary driver. Anyone under 25 will be charged occ'l operator premiums....make sure you have drivers ed and put yourself on the policy, you will thank yourself one day when you want your own car & insurance.

Please also note that AS SOON AS you get your G1, you must advise your insurance company of it... most ppl have no clue that you are suppost to do this..G1 has no premium charged until you reach the G2 stage...

Oh ok. thanks for the explanation.
But now, once I get my G2, and want to be put on the policy as a secondary driver, do i have to buy it off my parent's insurance company? Or can i find my own insurance company to insure me as a secondary driver only.

If i can, what are some good insurance companies for youths?

thanks in advance :)
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!