Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
AcidBomber wrote: Oh ok. thanks for the explanation.
But now, once I get my G2, and want to be put on the policy as a secondary driver, do i have to buy it off my parent's insurance company? Or can i find my own insurance company to insure me as a secondary driver only.

If i can, what are some good insurance companies for youths?

thanks in advance :)
You would go on ma & pa's as the occ'l operator... best tell the company you have your G1 now.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
May 27, 2007
15998 posts
4197 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: You would go on ma & pa's as the occ'l operator... best tell the company you have your G1 now.

Ah... i see.
I think my parents insurance company sucks... overpriced. So i dont think i'll get a good rate with em...

But thanks again for your help. :)
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1357 posts
303 upvotes
My wife and i share the same auto insurance, (although she does not drive at all) and i recently had an at fault accident but luckily i bought accident protection so there were no premium increase in the renewal. However, i recently had a speeding ticket and it has yet come to court, and if i loose the case i could see my premium going up next renewal.
My question: Is it a good idea to remove my wife name now from the insurance policy so that my bad driving record does not affect hers in case she has her own policy later on?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
phht wrote: My wife and i share the same auto insurance, (although she does not drive at all) and i recently had an at fault accident but luckily i bought accident protection so there were no premium increase in the renewal. However, i recently had a speeding ticket and it has yet come to court, and if i loose the case i could see my premium going up next renewal.
My question: Is it a good idea to remove my wife name now from the insurance policy so that my bad driving record does not affect hers in case she has her own policy later on?
You are best to leave everything the way it is...if she ends up getting another car in the future, the company will have all the details for both of you. besides, you aren't getting charged for the 1st at fault so it should not matter. She will be rating on her own, and besides, a 2 car discount will apply. (I am assuming you have only the 1car)
Aug 23, 2006
200 posts
5 upvotes
We're taking possession of our 2nd car this week and I called up TD Meloche to add it to our current policy. The rate I was given is $440 (for the year) more than I was quoted 2 months ago. Their quotes are only valid for 45 days so they would not honour the lower quote. I was told that the rates went up since Sept 15th. Does that sound right to you? I'm also wondering if anyone has experienced increases in their premiums upon renewal over the past 6 weeks.

I have professional membership rates so TD is probably still the cheapest rate I can get, but I find the increase rather significant.

Edit: we have also bundled the home insurance with TD to get additional discounts. Our annual premium is $2,450 for 2 vehicles now (one 10 years old and one brand new) vs. $2,000 that I was quoted 2 months ago.
Jul 31, 2007
354 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I've never had my own insurance, even though I have a valid driver's license for 2.5 yrs now. I'm waiting when I'm gonna turn 25, since it's gonna be much lower. However, I heard some ppl saying that even though I will be 25, it might be still high for the first year or two, b/c the insurance company doesn't have any record of my insurance history. Two of my friends strongly advice me to get my own insurance, only then it will go down when I turn 25. Is this true?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2006
3630 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
NerV wrote: I've never had my own insurance, even though I have a valid driver's license for 2.5 yrs now. I'm waiting when I'm gonna turn 25, since it's gonna be much lower. However, I heard some ppl saying that even though I will be 25, it might be still high for the first year or two, b/c the insurance company doesn't have any record of my insurance history. Two of my friends strongly advice me to get my own insurance, only then it will go down when I turn 25. Is this true?
It's true.. No driving history = [IMG]http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/imag ... ting_1.gif[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
NerV wrote: I've never had my own insurance, even though I have a valid driver's license for 2.5 yrs now. I'm waiting when I'm gonna turn 25, since it's gonna be much lower. However, I heard some ppl saying that even though I will be 25, it might be still high for the first year or two, b/c the insurance company doesn't have any record of my insurance history. Two of my friends strongly advice me to get my own insurance, only then it will go down when I turn 25. Is this true?
Yeap, I would get myself listed on anyones policy as an occ'l operator as soon as you get the G1, which charges no premium. You may want to look around for pricing for now if you need your own policy. Then when you turn 25, the 25 class rate would apply. Also remember, drivers ed will only apply if it is within the last yrs. If your certificate is over 3yrs old when you get insurance, you will not be able to use it. Get a policy now if I were you or as mentioned list yourself on someones as an occ'l op now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
poohsing wrote: We're taking possession of our 2nd car this week and I called up TD Meloche to add it to our current policy. The rate I was given is $440 (for the year) more than I was quoted 2 months ago. Their quotes are only valid for 45 days so they would not honour the lower quote. I was told that the rates went up since Sept 15th. Does that sound right to you? I'm also wondering if anyone has experienced increases in their premiums upon renewal over the past 6 weeks.

I have professional membership rates so TD is probably still the cheapest rate I can get, but I find the increase rather significant.

Edit: we have also bundled the home insurance with TD to get additional discounts. Our annual premium is $2,450 for 2 vehicles now (one 10 years old and one brand new) vs. $2,000 that I was quoted 2 months ago.
Shop around my friend.
Jul 31, 2007
354 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: Yeap, I would get myself listed on anyones policy as an occ'l operator as soon as you get the G1, which charges no premium. You may want to look around for pricing for now if you need your own policy. Then when you turn 25, the 25 class rate would apply. Also remember, drivers ed will only apply if it is within the last yrs. If your certificate is over 3yrs old when you get insurance, you will not be able to use it. Get a policy now if I were you or as mentioned list yourself on someones as an occ'l op now.
Thanks for your advice. If I'm listed as occasional driver, I also have to pay insurance, right?
Aug 6, 2008
352 posts
28 upvotes
mafiastyles wrote:
if you dont have insurance for the next 5 yrs its ok
make sure you valid license till then

in ontario you dont need continous insurance like alberta,pei etc.

At one time in Ontario, if you let your insurance coverage lapse more than 30 days;you would not be denied insurance.
But you would automatically be thrown into the Facility Pool at ridiculous rates.

Does this still hold true?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
concou wrote: At one time in Ontario, if you let your insurance coverage lapse more than 30 days;you would not be denied insurance.
But you would automatically be thrown into the Facility Pool at ridiculous rates.

Does this still hold true?
Not necessarily - it would depend on why you had no insurance..for example: if you lived on a bus/train route and took public transportation and had no need for insurance. All factors can be presented to a company by a BROKER - whom I recommend calling for when you are ready. In order to be placed in the facility pool, standard market companies must have a valid filed rule why they cannot take you with their company.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
NerV wrote: Thanks for your advice. If I'm listed as occasional driver, I also have to pay insurance, right?
if you are under 25, there is a charge regardless if you are male or female. Worth the small premium thats for sure.
Aug 6, 2008
352 posts
28 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: . In order to be placed in the facility pool, standard market companies must have a valid filed rule why they cannot take you with their company.
Thanks... In the past, not having coverage for more than 30 days was valid enough. No, ifs, and, or buts.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
concou wrote: Thanks... In the past, not having coverage for more than 30 days was valid enough. No, ifs, and, or buts.
Maybe 30yrs ago but not now.
Sep 9, 2008
636 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
I was involved in a parking lot accident yesterday (OCT 28, 2008)

Me: Toyota Camry
Him: Chevy Venture

I was parked at parking spot. I looked over my right shoulder to check the blind spot. I saw the Chevy Venture standing in the perpendicular lane. He was idling. I proceeded to reverse with caution. Suddenly I noticed that he put his car in reverse and started to drive right into me. I put on my brakes and started to honk non stop to catch his attention. There was no response and he continued reverse until BAM. He hit my right rear quarter panel / rear bumper causing $2000 worth of damage to my vehicle. At the point of contact I was standing still.

Here is a diagram of what happened:

[IMG]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4489 ... db4.th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img397.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/IMG]

He was driving a company vehicle. I proceed to take down all of his information. Driver's license, insurance and policy #, plate, place of work etc...

I have talked to his boss and he cannot believe the estimate and wants to go through insurance. I had no choice and called my insurance company. I know that they like to call Parking Lots as 50/50. So what are my chances of winning? Am I gonna have to pay this $2000 and have my premiums go up at the same time!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9274 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Szharkov wrote: I was involved in a parking lot accident yesterday (OCT 28, 2008)

Me: Toyota Camry
Him: Chevy Venture

I was parked at parking spot. I looked over my right shoulder to check the blind spot. I saw the Chevy Venture standing in the perpendicular lane. He was idling. I proceeded to reverse with caution. Suddenly I noticed that he put his car in reverse and started to drive right into me. I put on my brakes and started to honk non stop to catch his attention. There was no response and he continued reverse until BAM. He hit my right rear quarter panel / rear bumper causing $2000 worth of damage to my vehicle. At the point of contact I was standing still.

Here is a diagram of what happened:

[IMG]http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4489 ... db4.th.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img397.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif[/IMG]

He was driving a company vehicle. I proceed to take down all of his information. Driver's license, insurance and policy #, plate, place of work etc...

I have talked to his boss and he cannot believe the estimate and wants to go through insurance. I had no choice and called my insurance company. I know that they like to call Parking Lots as 50/50. So what are my chances of winning? Am I gonna have to pay this $2000 and have my premiums go up at the same time!!!
Make sure you have a police report and see if there are any witnesses. I am not an adjuster. This may help - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0668_e.htm
Sep 9, 2008
636 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
COSMIC5 wrote: Make sure you have a police report and see if there are any witnesses. I am not an adjuster. This may help - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0668_e.htm
I have went to the reporting agency and made a report. Is that what you mean by a police report? I have taken a look at that link and what I dont like is the face that I started to back out before the impact occured, even though I was not moving when he hit me.

As for witnesses, the only witness was his co-worker who was standing outside and saw the whole thing but will obviously not admit to it. Saying that he only heard it but didnt see how it happened.

I asked the manager of the Le Baron store if there is a security camera mounted anywhere on the exterior of the building and there is nothing.

I am hoping the insurance company will not see this as another 50/50 because I do not have collision coverage! :mad:
Jul 4, 2008
288 posts
GTA
Hey I have had my G1 for 5 years now and just got my G since it was about to expired in a week or so. My question is that the 5 years of driving experience that i have had (with no insurance only my dad had it on the car), will they give me any credit for having the licence for so long and having G or will my insurance will eb the same as a new person with a licence thanks
Nov 22, 2006
67 posts
1 upvote
hey thanks for setting up this thread. I wanted to know if your car gets broken into and the thieves steal your sub, amps, deck are you covered, and what effect is there if I claim this on my insurance? Also what happens if I am changing insurance companies will this stay on record and affect me on a new policy with another insurance company?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)