Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Apr 20, 2009
604 posts
277 upvotes
ryanoneal wrote: Question to those knowledgeable here: Would it be possible for me to get insurance for a car that's not in my name?

Background: I no longer have my previous car (sold, no longer in my name), but my insurance isn't officially cancelled yet. I planned to get another car quickly and then have them switch over coverage to that, but I underestimated how hard it is to get a car these days.

I'm getting loaned a vehicle from someone that has more than one, and I'm thinking about getting my insurance to switch my coverage to this one. But this car is not in my name - I'm wondering if it's allowed for me to have coverage on it since I'll be driving it regularly.

Reason I didn't cancel my insurance right away is I've been told when I cancel I would pay more expensive rates in the future once I get a car, since these companies want to see continuous/uninterrupted coverage - (I think this whole concept is ridiculous btw).
No you cannot buy insurance for a car you don't own. The owner of the vehicle should contact their insurer to add you as a principal operator for the time being.
Dec 17, 2008
109 posts
11 upvotes
Not sure if asked before. Question on what’s my best option for repair - insurance or out of pocket?

2017 Ford Explorer (Ontario) parked in a DIY store parking lot while I was shopping inside. Came back in 30 mins to see my driver side mirror damaged (pic attached). Some car must have hit it. No note, no witness, no evidence. But I know I am not at fault.

I haven’t taken any action yet. Incident took place less than 6 hours ago. My CAA policy has $500 deductible for Comprehensive and for Collision or Upset. Zero deductible for DCPD. Don’t know which category will be triggered if I file a claim. This is my first car damage in entire 20+ year driving history. What could be an out of pocket cost (part + labor)? Found the mirror on partshub.ca but not totally sure if that’s all I need other than labor. https://www.partshub.ca/ford-explorer-2 ... 20554.html

Appreciate any help.
Images
  • 7AC29088-72BD-4A8E-8238-6B362840E8E9.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1646 posts
1337 upvotes
Ontario
Konax:
Sorry for your hit and run. Not nice to have to deal with it.

I do not want to add to your misery but have you checked the door panel?
In the photo I can see a slightly darker area -- it could just be a shadow.
Jun 24, 2009
116 posts
72 upvotes
toronto
which companies insures vintage/collectible cars for occasional use besides haggerty?
Dec 17, 2008
109 posts
11 upvotes
profile wrote: I do not want to add to your misery but have you checked the door panel?
In the photo I can see a slightly darker area -- it could just be a shadow.
Thanks for your concern. It was a shadow in the pic. I don’t see anything but broken mirror and casing. Just don’t know if it’s better to call CAA insurance (haven’t call cops because the damage seems under $2,000) or order the part myself.
Apr 20, 2009
604 posts
277 upvotes
konax wrote: Not sure if asked before. Question on what’s my best option for repair - insurance or out of pocket?

2017 Ford Explorer (Ontario) parked in a DIY store parking lot while I was shopping inside. Came back in 30 mins to see my driver side mirror damaged (pic attached). Some car must have hit it. No note, no witness, no evidence. But I know I am not at fault.

I haven’t taken any action yet. Incident took place less than 6 hours ago. My CAA policy has $500 deductible for Comprehensive and for Collision or Upset. Zero deductible for DCPD. Don’t know which category will be triggered if I file a claim. This is my first car damage in entire 20+ year driving history. What could be an out of pocket cost (part + labor)? Found the mirror on partshub.ca but not totally sure if that’s all I need other than labor. https://www.partshub.ca/ford-explorer-2 ... 20554.html

Appreciate any help.
This will likely be categorized as collision if you file a claim.

Dcpd only applies if the other driver can be identified and is insured in Ontario.
Apr 20, 2009
604 posts
277 upvotes
hooshang wrote: which companies insures vintage/collectible cars for occasional use besides haggerty?
No direct writer has the appetite and/or the appropriate coverage for collectibles. You are best to speak with a broker who specializes in this category and they can advise you appropriately.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4213 posts
3083 upvotes
Edmonton
hooshang wrote: which companies insures vintage/collectible cars for occasional use besides haggerty?
Don’t know where you are located but AMA writes it.

https://ama.ab.ca/insurance/vehicle/cla ... gJa3fD_BwE

There are not a lot of options. There are way more in the States. Hagerty is an agent and the coverage is underwritten by Elite/Aviva.

You may find a broker that writes this coverage but you will likely end up with the same insurance company.

I doubt that you will find any better than Hagerty for expertise.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8067 posts
4213 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
konax wrote: Not sure if asked before. Question on what’s my best option for repair - insurance or out of pocket?

Appreciate any help.
Few years back had same happen to driver's side mirror.

Dealership wanted something like $400 to repair or that might just have been part or labour.

Was vacationing to US so ordered from there to ship to hotel.

Got diy instructions from youtube as removing mirror holding and panel trim can be tricky if not know. Did have to get a torx screwdriver or something like that.

Took about 15 minutes. Make sure to correctly tighten else mirror will shake. Went from standard mirror to heated mirror as well since wiring already there.

Cost was about $45 USD.
2022: BOC raised 3 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4213 posts
3083 upvotes
Edmonton
absolut123 wrote: AMA does not write it. They act as an intermediary for Haggerty.
Okay, they are partnered with Hagerty but Hagerty is an agent while AMA is an insurer.
Dec 17, 2008
109 posts
11 upvotes
absolut123 wrote: This will likely be categorized as collision if you file a claim.

Dcpd only applies if the other driver can be identified and is insured in Ontario.
Then it wouldn't make much sense to file a claim because CAA/adjuster may require a deductible which is $500 in my case.
Dec 17, 2008
109 posts
11 upvotes
georvu wrote: Dealership wanted something like $400 to repair or that might just have been part or labour.

Was vacationing to US so ordered from there to ship to hotel.

Cost was about $45 USD.
That's kind of inexpensive, depending on the year and vehicle. Any pointers for such B2C online stores in Canada? The part I am probably looking for is around $200 on partshub.ca.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8067 posts
4213 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
konax wrote: That's kind of inexpensive, depending on the year and vehicle. Any pointers for such B2C online stores in Canada? The part I am probably looking for is around $200 on partshub.ca.
This was years before pandemic so with inflation and parts issues the lowest I found was $127.99 USD for your vehicle so the partshub for local seller is very good.

Suggest look on youtube and explorer sites to see how difficult or easy it is to diy before ordering.
2022: BOC raised 3 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Nov 9, 2017
918 posts
120 upvotes
1- What clause of insurance covers chipped window and cracked window happening due to rocks from highway? (what line to check on the policy)
2- Is this something that can have negative effect on driver?
3- In what instances would insurance not cover it?
4- Does deductible apply?

Thanks,
Jan 14, 2022
15 posts
8 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote: 1- What clause of insurance covers chipped window and cracked window happening due to rocks from highway? (what line to check on the policy)

Thanks,
1. Loss or damage coverage, your comprehensive coverage (Exact line/page to check is dependent on province)
2. Comprehensive claims aren't at-fault, so they don't get rated on you directly.
3. You need to have purchased comprehensive coverage. Could also not be covered if you have an additional glass restriction endorsement. Some providers in rural areas and Alberta will offer this on default. Glass restriction = no glass damage coverage at all
4. In general, yes, and it's your comprehensive deductible, some providers may waive it for small chips.
Apr 20, 2009
604 posts
277 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote: 1- What clause of insurance covers chipped window and cracked window happening due to rocks from highway? (what line to check on the policy)

Thanks,
This is part of comprehensive coverage.

If you make too many glass claims they can limit glass coverage or remove comprehensive coverage.

Check the exclusions listed in the OAP1.

A lot of companies do not charge a deductible if the windshield can be repaired. A deductible will apply if the damage is severe enough to require a windshield replacement.
Nov 9, 2017
918 posts
120 upvotes
Layell wrote: 1. Loss or damage coverage, your comprehensive coverage (Exact line/page to check is dependent on province)
2. Comprehensive claims aren't at-fault, so they don't get rated on you directly.
3. You need to have purchased comprehensive coverage. Could also not be covered if you have an additional glass restriction endorsement. Some providers in rural areas and Alberta will offer this on default. Glass restriction = no glass damage coverage at all
4. In general, yes, and it's your comprehensive deductible, some providers may waive it for small chips.
Thanks.

A- I don't see mention of glass on the document.

B- This is for Ontario - where to check? (Scottish & York)

C- Where to check for glass restriction and what to check for?

D- How to know if they waive it?

E- I don't see OAP1 on the document (this is for Ontario)

F- My broker not picking up their phone or respond to email to discuss my current policy or renewal. Is there an insurance board regulations that they must respond? (claims respond but I don't want to file or claim until I know more)
Jan 14, 2022
15 posts
8 upvotes
snowhite445 wrote: Thanks.

A- I don't see mention of glass on the document.

B- This is for Ontario - where to check? (Scottish & York)

C- Where to check for glass restriction and what to check for?

D- How to know if they waive it?

E- I don't see OAP1 on the document (this is for Ontario)

F- My broker not picking up their phone or respond to email to discuss my current policy or renewal. Is there an insurance board regulations that they must respond? (claims respond but I don't want to file or claim until I know more)
A and B: See the Ontario Auto Policy here: http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/forms ... forms.aspx

Page 42 section B:

B. Comprehensive - we will pay for losses, other than those covered by Collision or Upset,
including:
• perils listed under Specified Perils,
• falling or flying objects,
• missiles, and
• vandalism.

C: Likely you don't have it, but check any endorsements on your policy, or "Endorsements Included"

D: Ask your insurance company, each may have different

E: OAP1, the Ontario Automobile Policy 1 is the standard actual policy for all Ontario auto insurance.

F: No there is no requirement on the broker. See if you can contact someone else at the office, or talk to the insurance company themselves about the claim. Once you formally fill in a claim and submit it, there are certain obligations for the insurance company to respond in a reasonable time frame.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Unknown18281