Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Jul 21, 2009
113 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi,

Anyone got recommendation for personal auto insurance brokers?

Thanks
Jun 24, 2013
648 posts
1296 upvotes
Mississauga
is it advised to challenge 50% fault with the insurance company? i feel i am wrongly convicted and my insurance has gone up, though my ticket got dismissed in one day in court.
Apr 20, 2009
439 posts
147 upvotes
hennamomin wrote: is it advised to challenge 50% fault with the insurance company? i feel i am wrongly convicted and my insurance has gone up, though my ticket got dismissed in one day in court.
Tickets have little to no bearing on fault determination for insurance purposes.

You can attempt to contact your insurer again and see if they can review the facts again and reconsider. It's also contingent on the other insurer agreeing as well. If that fails, your only recourse is to sue your insurance company.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1353 posts
813 upvotes
Markham
Anything got their covid-19 refund yet ? How much are you getting back % wise compare to how much u pay last year ?
For me, I am getting back 6.5% on the total policy which I think is low (after hearing people say get 15-30% back.) My insurance policy is under The Personal.
Pls share what you have.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8670 posts
1331 upvotes
Ontario
if you can get them to lower it to 25% or less, it won't affect your premiums as an at fault accident. tickets, unless you can have it taken off your drivers abstract, there is nothing to challenge

hennamomin wrote: is it advised to challenge 50% fault with the insurance company? i feel i am wrongly convicted and my insurance has gone up, though my ticket got dismissed in one day in court.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8670 posts
1331 upvotes
Ontario
the accident protection would only apply to you unless he qualified for the coverage. The occ'l op premium/driver would be affected
if the object was already on the ground, then that would be considered a collision.
if the object was airborne or flew into the car, then that would be considered comprehensive, not at fault.
If you remove him from the policy and he no longer resides in the same household at all (has his own primary address), then he should be able to drive your vehicle. Check with your Broker to confirm
BMWX5M wrote: I have some questions about an accident my son was in yesterday.

1) I'm presuming my son would be considered at fault, since the object was on the road. He is listed as an occasional driver on my policy, and has only been driving for a year, but I have accident forgiveness and have never had an at-fault claim, so would this affect our rates?
2) If it would increase our rates, would it only increase his rate as an occasional driver? He is planning to study in Australia next year, so I will not be renewing him on my October renewal, so would my rates still go up?
3) Finally if I were to remove him from my policy when he goes abroad, and he returns for say a week, would he be able to drive my car without being on my policy?
Oct 29, 2015
217 posts
49 upvotes
i got my insurance through a broker.

on my insurance forms with the provider (jevco) (not my broker) it says, i only drive 5k and for pleasure only.

this is not true.

am i screwed if i ever try to make a claim?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8670 posts
1331 upvotes
Ontario
then call the Broker and correct this. I'm also a Broker that deals with Jevco... the Broker can easily correct this on the company's portal for you.
you need to have your policy rated correctly to avoid any future issues.
DecayHeat wrote: i got my insurance through a broker.

on my insurance forms with the provider (jevco) (not my broker) it says, i only drive 5k and for pleasure only.

this is not true.

am i screwed if i ever try to make a claim?
Jul 14, 2015
2 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa, ON
Hi,

I currently have two auto policies with Johnson since 2014. The first car is driven by my parents and is at a different address. The second car is driven by me and spouse and this car has two at-fault incidents in 2018 and 2019. Despite purchasing enhanced accident forgiveness, Johnson has provided non-renewal notice citing their policy does not underwrite any policy with 2 at-fault within the last 5 years. I spoke to them a few times and they would not change their stance. Should I complaint to their ombudsman about it.

@COSMIC5 - can you PM me for a quote on the second car?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8670 posts
1331 upvotes
Ontario
sure!
bwang85 wrote: Hi,

I currently have two auto policies with Johnson since 2014. The first car is driven by my parents and is at a different address. The second car is driven by me and spouse and this car has two at-fault incidents in 2018 and 2019. Despite purchasing enhanced accident forgiveness, Johnson has provided non-renewal notice citing their policy does not underwrite any policy with 2 at-fault within the last 5 years. I spoke to them a few times and they would not change their stance. Should I complaint to their ombudsman about it.

@COSMIC5 - can you PM me for a quote on the second car?
Feb 2, 2003
437 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
I am currently shopping for a new insurance company for home/auto and while looking for quotes, I found out I have an at-fault accident on my record from 2016.

A quick backstory: An insurance scammer ran a red light at high speed and hit my car when I was turning left in a snowstorm. He was a cab driver and knew the rules of the road very well. He berated me for 2 hours, yelling at me to pay him because he knew the rules of the road and said I would be charged because I turned left.
Because there were so many accidents that day, the police never arrived so I had to go to the collision center. The cab driver at this point pretended not to speak English and got a young guy to fill out his paperwork. The cop at the collision center charged me, saying, "it's not fair but it's the law." The cab driver left with the biggest smile on his face, like he had just won the lottery. A couple weeks later I got a letter from his lawyer stating they were suing me for personal injuries his client had sustained.
Fast forward almost two years - the judge threw out the ticket. Still, TD still deemed me at fault and would not reverse their decision which was really frustrating.

When I spoke to CAA about the higher rate I was quoted as a result of the at-fault accident, they said they would have given me my accident forgiveness back if my ticket had been thrown out. I really have no way of knowing if this is actually true since I'm not in that situation and I am assuming they will say anything to get your business.  

Does anyone have any experience with companies that have reversed an at fault accident in your favour and given back your accident forgiveness?

I am also wondering if there is anything I can do to get my at-fault ruling changed. I was told to get a letter of experience but TD refused to do that at the time of the accident. Not sure how I would get that 4 years later without paying a lot of money to a lawyer.
Dec 25, 2014
42 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am looking to buy a 2-3 year old.mini-van. Was thinking a Honda or Toyota made model. Is there any difference from insurance point of view which vehicle and trim I buy? I am in Ontario.

Also, any recommendations for an insurance broker? Thanks
Apr 20, 2009
439 posts
147 upvotes
Nikitty wrote: I am currently shopping for a new insurance company for home/auto and while looking for quotes, I found out I have an at-fault accident on my record from 2016.

A quick backstory: An insurance scammer ran a red light at high speed and hit my car when I was turning left in a snowstorm. He was a cab driver and knew the rules of the road very well. He berated me for 2 hours, yelling at me to pay him because he knew the rules of the road and said I would be charged because I turned left.
Because there were so many accidents that day, the police never arrived so I had to go to the collision center. The cab driver at this point pretended not to speak English and got a young guy to fill out his paperwork. The cop at the collision center charged me, saying, "it's not fair but it's the law." The cab driver left with the biggest smile on his face, like he had just won the lottery. A couple weeks later I got a letter from his lawyer stating they were suing me for personal injuries his client had sustained.
Fast forward almost two years - the judge threw out the ticket. Still, TD still deemed me at fault and would not reverse their decision which was really frustrating.

When I spoke to CAA about the higher rate I was quoted as a result of the at-fault accident, they said they would have given me my accident forgiveness back if my ticket had been thrown out. I really have no way of knowing if this is actually true since I'm not in that situation and I am assuming they will say anything to get your business.  

Does anyone have any experience with companies that have reversed an at fault accident in your favour and given back your accident forgiveness?

I am also wondering if there is anything I can do to get my at-fault ruling changed. I was told to get a letter of experience but TD refused to do that at the time of the accident. Not sure how I would get that 4 years later without paying a lot of money to a lawyer.
Fault is determined by fault determination rules laid out in the Insurance Act. Whether you get a ticket as a result of the accident has little to no bearing on the fault determination. What CAA told you is not necessarily true and was likely an attempt by the agent to empathize with your situation.

A letter of experience was also useless advice. All the letter would do is to confirm the fact that they deemed you at fault at the accident.

Challenging the fault determination generally requires suing the insurance company. However since it is now 4 years later, it might be too late but if that's an avenue you want to pursue that's something a lawyer would need to advise you on.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10198 posts
647 upvotes
Mississauga
If 2 people are on the same policy and one of them gets a speeding ticket, distracted driving, DUI conviction etc, will both of their insurance go up?

If it does, can the person who didn't get the ticket go to a different insurance company to get a better rate?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)