Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8607 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
no, the driver with the infractions premium will(unless only 1 veh on policy); however, anything more than a minor ticket could result in the entire policy being cancelled
Tijuana wrote: If 2 people are on the same policy and one of them gets a speeding ticket, distracted driving, DUI conviction etc, will both of their insurance go up?

If it does, can the person who didn't get the ticket go to a different insurance company to get a better rate?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10184 posts
645 upvotes
Mississauga
COSMIC5 wrote: no, the driver with the infractions premium will(unless only 1 veh on policy); however, anything more than a minor ticket could result in the entire policy being cancelled
If the policy is cancelled, would the driver without the ticket be able to go to a different insurance company without being penalized (or having to pay higher premiums) because their policy was cancelled?

I'm assuming if your policy was cancelled for whatever reason, that would mean a higher premium in general?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8607 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
Would depend on the companies underwriting rules... and who the driver was that negated the cancellation
It may be possible to 28A(exclude) the driver with the infractions when applying to a new insurer
Tijuana wrote: If the policy is cancelled, would the driver without the ticket be able to go to a different insurance company without being penalized (or having to pay higher premiums) because their policy was cancelled?

I'm assuming if your policy was cancelled for whatever reason, that would mean a higher premium in general?
Jun 17, 2003
638 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Scenario: Father (50yo) & son (20yo), son does not live with father (not same household).
Father's 2nd car (summer convertible), wants to make the son secondary driver (drives it regularly, let's say 30% of the time).
Can I expect insurance to be cheaper than if son was owner/primary driver? by how much (best guess)?

Will it make a difference if father & son are both on title (vs father only)?
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10184 posts
645 upvotes
Mississauga
COSMIC5 wrote: Would depend on the companies underwriting rules... and who the driver was that negated the cancellation
It may be possible to 28A(exclude) the driver with the infractions when applying to a new insurer
Does the same apply to a claim? If 1 driver on their own car gets an at-fault claim, does it follow everyone who is on the policy until they leave?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1049 posts
395 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Tijuana wrote: Does the same apply to a claim? If 1 driver on their own car gets an at-fault claim, does it follow everyone who is on the policy until they leave?
No - it does not.

Only one person can be rated for a single claim.

A claim can't be double rated.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8607 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
only the driver who had the AF will be affected, not everyone on the policy; however, if there is only 1 veh on the policy, it most likely will affect that vehicle and rated accordingly
Tijuana wrote: Does the same apply to a claim? If 1 driver on their own car gets an at-fault claim, does it follow everyone who is on the policy until they leave?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8607 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
if the father wants to add a driver to the policy, that added driver will be a primary on one of the cars assuming there are no other drivers in the household. Technically speaking, if the son does not reside in the same household, you don't actually have to add them to the policy.
andjules wrote: Scenario: Father (50yo) & son (20yo), son does not live with father (not same household).
Father's 2nd car (summer convertible), wants to make the son secondary driver (drives it regularly, let's say 30% of the time).
Can I expect insurance to be cheaper than if son was owner/primary driver? by how much (best guess)?

Will it make a difference if father & son are both on title (vs father only)?
Aug 4, 2007
97 posts
192 upvotes
Mississauga
Here's what I learned today! I am with The Co-operators. I have a 20yr old son that was on my policy as secondary driver 3 years ago. When he got his "G" license and got his own car at the same time, he moved to Desjardins. I removed him from my policy, albeit, insurance rules say I have to list him as occasional on my policy as long as he is still in my household.

So, after he moved to Desjardins, he received a speeding ticket.

My policy with The Co-operators renews end of June, and I happened to notice that I am paying a 17.5% conviction charge, for my 20yr son, who got a speeding ticket, 3 years ago, when he wasn't even under my policy (technically).

So, we are getting double-dinged for this infraction.

I said that this is absurd! I have 3 children, does that mean I will have to pay for all of their driving infractions for as long as they live in my house! which at this rate will be another 15yrs, until they are at least 30 given todays economic conditions.

The answer is yes. The only way around this is to move him back to The Co-operators so we are not double-dinged or complete a driver exclusion form (which I don't want to do).

I asked if this was 'industry norm'....although hesitate to comment, they said that it is listed in the rules/regs under the Insurance Institute of Canada.

Does this sound right???
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8607 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
Your agent should have told you that if your son has his own vehicle and insurance, you don't have to list him on the policy at all. All you have to do is disclose his insurance company and policy number and he has to do the same with yours. Why add him and pay 2x??
mississauga99 wrote: Here's what I learned today! I am with The Co-operators. I have a 20yr old son that was on my policy as secondary driver 3 years ago. When he got his "G" license and got his own car at the same time, he moved to Desjardins. I removed him from my policy, albeit, insurance rules say I have to list him as occasional on my policy as long as he is still in my household.

So, after he moved to Desjardins, he received a speeding ticket.

My policy with The Co-operators renews end of June, and I happened to notice that I am paying a 17.5% conviction charge, for my 20yr son, who got a speeding ticket, 3 years ago, when he wasn't even under my policy (technically).

So, we are getting double-dinged for this infraction.

I said that this is absurd! I have 3 children, does that mean I will have to pay for all of their driving infractions for as long as they live in my house! which at this rate will be another 15yrs, until they are at least 30 given todays economic conditions.

The answer is yes. The only way around this is to move him back to The Co-operators so we are not double-dinged or complete a driver exclusion form (which I don't want to do).

I asked if this was 'industry norm'....although hesitate to comment, they said that it is listed in the rules/regs under the Insurance Institute of Canada.

Does this sound right???
Aug 4, 2007
97 posts
192 upvotes
Mississauga
From my research it appears to be industry standard. If somebody can be deemed a secondary driver, insurance rules say you need to add them to your policy. Several agents I have spoken to told me we have to list everyone in the household that has the potential to drive my vehicle. There may be cases where he will drive my vehicle like on family outings.
COSMIC5 wrote: Your agent should have told you that if your son has his own vehicle and insurance, you don't have to list him on the policy at all. All you have to do is disclose his insurance company and policy number and he has to do the same with yours. Why add him and pay 2x??
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1215 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
I never add or disclose anyone in my household... that's nonsense from the insurance companies. No one is driving the car but me lol.

I understand they have this in case of the possibility of someone taking the car in the household and driving it.. well that ain't happening so unless there is another reason...
Apr 20, 2009
409 posts
132 upvotes
Electrah wrote: I never add or disclose anyone in my household... that's nonsense from the insurance companies. No one is driving the car but me lol.

I understand they have this in case of the possibility of someone taking the car in the household and driving it.. well that ain't happening so unless there is another reason...
Bad advice to give in general. If you have such control in your household that's great for you, you'll never get caught with that non-disclosure. However, this isn't the case for many households. Hiding household drivers who may even just use your vehicle once can ruin you financially should an accident occur.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3414 posts
3501 upvotes
GTA
Will my premiums suffer if I keep changing insurance providers every year?

I've been doing a bunch of online quotes recently and they all ask "how long have you been with your current provider". For me, that's 8 years and I assume the reflects well upon me. Will it look bad on me if I keep switching providers every year to get the best rate? Why do they even ask that question?
Apr 20, 2009
409 posts
132 upvotes
derass wrote: Will my premiums suffer if I keep changing insurance providers every year?

I've been doing a bunch of online quotes recently and they all ask "how long have you been with your current provider". For me, that's 8 years and I assume the reflects well upon me. Will it look bad on me if I keep switching providers every year to get the best rate? Why do they even ask that question?

There are discounts and differentials that can be offered based on the length of time with the same insurance company. Short answer yes. Some of these discounts can be significant but it varies amongst insurers and many other factors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

krs