Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
I think you mean you need to disclose all lic'd operators in the household. Those who do not have their own vehicle & insurance should be listed on your policy or you can exclude them using an OPCF 28a.
mississauga99 wrote: From my research it appears to be industry standard. If somebody can be deemed a secondary driver, insurance rules say you need to add them to your policy. Several agents I have spoken to told me we have to list everyone in the household that has the potential to drive my vehicle. There may be cases where he will drive my vehicle like on family outings.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
so in retrospect, you're committing insurance fraud by non disclosing all lic'd operators in the household. Insurance companies have been known to investigate after a claim if they feel they've been insuring a customer on false information, or non disclosed information.
Electrah wrote: I never add or disclose anyone in my household... that's nonsense from the insurance companies. No one is driving the car but me lol.

I understand they have this in case of the possibility of someone taking the car in the household and driving it.. well that ain't happening so unless there is another reason...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
no it won't; however, some insurers will give you a loyalty discount depending on the # of years you were with your prior carrier.
derass wrote: Will my premiums suffer if I keep changing insurance providers every year?

I've been doing a bunch of online quotes recently and they all ask "how long have you been with your current provider". For me, that's 8 years and I assume the reflects well upon me. Will it look bad on me if I keep switching providers every year to get the best rate? Why do they even ask that question?
Dec 9, 2019
50 posts
16 upvotes
I hope this is the right place to ask, has anyone here had experience with Pembridge Insurance? They have my lowest quoted rates but seem to have pretty bad reviews online. Any help is appreciated!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Has anyone with personal insurance who worked for Uber Eats, Door Dash, Skip the dishes, Got into a serious collision?
What happened? is your life ruined? Did your insurance company drop you and not pay out? and you now need to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the person affected?
I know this is a gray area, but man what are you suppose to do?
there is hundreds if not thousands of people using their car with no option to get "proper coverage" I want to do part time food delivery and also volunteer at food bank for deliveries but it seems impossible to find proper insurance?

Insurance companies don't want to touch you with a 10 foot pole if you tell them you want to do food delivery.

Is it true if your insurance company even finds out you are doing deliveries they can drop you? I did use the search button and all that came up was people saying, "hide the bag, hope for the best" I was just curious if someone got into trouble from insurance?

Also I read that Door Dash and Uber eats cover you while you have a food order for third party damages, but if get into a collision while on your way to pick up or after a drop off, you are pretty much screwed cause your personal insurance won't cover it?
asking about Ontario btw, I read in BC they have endorsements and other rules that make doing food delivery possible, SO what am I suppose to do? Risk it for the biscuit?

I apologize for this all over the place post. I am just so confused and frustrated.
May 21, 2020
1 posts
is it mandatory for an insurance company to assign full coverage to a client with a financed vehicle?

i was in a hit and run and was just told i have one way coverage when i assumed it was mandatory to be fully covered. was this a mistake on the brokers end?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
53352 posts
18251 upvotes
Will insurance premiums ever go down?

Basic benefit coverage have been neutered.

Maybe clamping down on fraud ( medical, financial, mental) is the only way?
Apr 20, 2009
408 posts
131 upvotes
yatta wrote: Has anyone with personal insurance who worked for Uber Eats, Door Dash, Skip the dishes, Got into a serious collision?
What happened? is your life ruined? Did your insurance company drop you and not pay out? and you now need to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the person affected?
there is hundreds if not thousands of people using their car with no option to get "proper coverage" I want to do part time food delivery and also volunteer at food bank for deliveries but it seems impossible to find proper insurance?

Insurance companies don't want to touch you with a 10 foot pole if you tell them you want to do food delivery.

Is it true if your insurance company even finds out you are doing deliveries they can drop you? I did use the search button and all that came up was people saying, "hide the bag, hope for the best" I was just curious if someone got into trouble from insurance?

Also I read that Door Dash and Uber eats cover you while you have a food order for third party damages, but if get into a collision while on your way to pick up or after a drop off, you are pretty much screwed cause your personal insurance won't cover it?
asking about Ontario btw, I read in BC they have endorsements and other rules that make doing food delivery possible, SO what am I suppose to do? Risk it for the biscuit?

I apologize for this all over the place post. I am just so confused and frustrated.

Correct, no personal insurance company that I know of will cover food delivery for compensation. You may be covered for deliveries on a volunteer basis, you will want to check with your insurer.

There are temporary exemptions from some companies during the pandemic but they do not cover the delivery apps.

Yes they will drop you if they find out you're doing deliveries for compensation. If you also get into an accident the insurance company will not pay.

This is the problem with the food delivery app companies. They don't inform their drivers that personal insurance is not acceptable, but no one would ever sign up to deliver with these apps if they took out proper commercial insurance.
Apr 20, 2009
408 posts
131 upvotes
DillonM92781 wrote: is it mandatory for an insurance company to assign full coverage to a client with a financed vehicle?

i was in a hit and run and was just told i have one way coverage when i assumed it was mandatory to be fully covered. was this a mistake on the brokers end?
No, it is not mandatory. It's ultimately up to the customer what coverages to choose. The finance company obviously won't be happy if you did not have full coverage.

It would only be a mistake on the broker's end if they didn't offer you full coverage and document the fact that you declined it. If they did offer it and you said no, that would not be a broker's error.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
good question! yes, if you're doing deliveries on your personal insurance, you pretty much are on your own ... this is an exclusion on the personal insurance policy. If you're using your vehicle for delivery and the insurer finds out, you'll be cancelled for non disclosure or misrepresentation. You don't want that on your record. This should be commercially rated. I have a company; however, that will insure you for uber eats if you also do uber ride share and the majority of your driving is for uber ride share.
yatta wrote: Has anyone with personal insurance who worked for Uber Eats, Door Dash, Skip the dishes, Got into a serious collision?

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
it would be up to you in retrospect as the requirements for coverage would be in your lease agreement. The lessor would see the policy anyhow as they would get a copy for their files along with you and if the insurance was for liability coverage only, they should have contacted you(in most cases). You would have known that you didn't have full coverage when you signed the auto application in the beginning.
DillonM92781 wrote: is it mandatory for an insurance company to assign full coverage to a client with a financed vehicle?

Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2033 posts
326 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: good question! yes, if you're doing deliveries on your personal insurance, you pretty much are on your own ... this is an exclusion on the personal insurance policy. If you're using your vehicle for delivery and the insurer finds out, you'll be cancelled for non disclosure or misrepresentation. You don't want that on your record. This should be commercially rated. I have a company; however, that will insure you for uber eats if you also do uber ride share and the majority of your driving is for uber ride share.
yikes, yeah I don't want to risk that. Looks like I am getting a bicycle.....
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2647 posts
311 upvotes
Hi,

I searched this thread and didn't come across the issue I have.

Currently my current home insurer is Aviva and has a $X for Coverage A (dwelling building).

When I shopped around, Desjardins provided a more competitive quote but their Coverage A limitation is almost $X/2. Their policy has "guaranteed repair or replacement cost for dwelling building".

Realistically, I think it would cost 80% to 100% of $X to rebuild my house based on today's construction costs and the finishes in my home.

Should I be worried that Desjardins has a low Coverage A limitation?

Thanks a lot.
Apr 20, 2009
408 posts
131 upvotes
mudd_stuffin wrote: Hi,

I searched this thread and didn't come across the issue I have.

Currently my current home insurer is Aviva and has a $X for Coverage A (dwelling building).

When I shopped around, Desjardins provided a more competitive quote but their Coverage A limitation is almost $X/2. Their policy has "guaranteed repair or replacement cost for dwelling building".

Realistically, I think it would cost 80% to 100% of $X to rebuild my house based on today's construction costs and the finishes in my home.

Should I be worried that Desjardins has a low Coverage A limitation?

Thanks a lot.
You should ensure the information you provided to Desjardins is accurate. If it is accurate, it's recommended to increase the Coverage A to what you feel is necessary to rebuild your home even if you have guaranteed replacement cost. Keep in mind your coverages for your personal property and additional living expenses are typically based on the coverage A amount.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2647 posts
311 upvotes
Thanks. The info is accurate. Apparently the system automatically fixes Coverage A based on i) size of dwelling, ii) location and iii) grade of finishes, so what they told me is that I could not increase Coverage A even if I wanted to.