Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about insurance!!

Feb 12, 2009
1 posts
Hello,

I have been looking around but I am having difficulties finding business insurance for autos and home. What would you suggest would be the best place to check and what companies would be the cheapest?
Nov 15, 2006
14 posts
Toronto
Insurance-Broker wrote: Material Misrep is a serious charge and your options of finding another carrier would be limited to only a few high risk insurance companies.

Are you saying that they are cancelling you becuase they found some claims under your name that do not belong to you?
So basically I'm screwed for ever finding car insurance again?

Also yes, they claim they found information I gave are of high risk due to the Fraud Alert under my name.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Anonymouse wrote: My Autoplus report seems to have accident data going back as long as I have been driving. Why wouldn't an insurance company rate me higher for the at-fault accident I had 8 years ago? Are they prohibited by law from taking accidents older than 6 years into account, or is 6 years simply the time period most companies have settled on for competitive reasons?

Likewise, why wouldn't they take into account the not-at-fault accident I had, since I have read that drivers who have not-at-fault accidents are statistically likelier to have claims in the future?
Insurance companies only ask about accidents in the past 6 yrs as stated on the auto application. Most companies highest ratings are 6 star but there are some such as AXA who will go as high as a 10star rating. Insurance companies look at all accidents regardless ......
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Lantis wrote: So basically I'm screwed for ever finding car insurance again?

Also yes, they claim they found information I gave are of high risk due to the Fraud Alert under my name.
Basically, a standard market insurer will not touch anyone with that showing on their autoplus report. You will be looking at facility or perhaps companies such as Perth, coachman or kingsway.
Nov 15, 2006
14 posts
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: Basically, a standard market insurer will not touch anyone with that showing on their autoplus report. You will be looking at facility or perhaps companies such as Perth, coachman or kingsway.
Is there anyway to fight this to clear if off my Autoplus report?
Aug 30, 2005
432 posts
121 upvotes
I got a question about insurance.

Currently, there are three drivers in the household: my dad, mom, and me. We have two cars. Currently, my dad is primary on car1, my mother is primary on car2, and I am secondary on car2. We are currently all under one insurance company. Now I want to switch to another insurance company for car2 with me being primary and my mother would be secondary back on car1 instead. So the question is, do I have to have my mom and dad as secondary on car2 for them to drive car2 for insurance2 to know of all drivers in the household?
Oct 17, 2006
206 posts
Hi, I recently got my G2 2 weeks ago. My dad just bought an '05 Dodge caravan (privately), and my parents want to put me as second driver so i can also use it.
I do not know much about car insurance, but if at all possible could you shed some light on the type of insurance that we should get, whether bumper-to-bumper is necessary. I found an quote from belairdirect using kanetix or w/e that site is called for about $2900/year. Does that seem like a decent rate? Given that my father has never been in an accident nor has he any minor violations, and has had a full license for over 6 years in canada alone.

I also read in one of ur first posts saying that ontario doesnt require continuous coverage. what did you mean by that?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
Lantis wrote: Is there anyway to fight this to clear if off my Autoplus report?
You may want to deal with the companies ombudsman...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
liquidzyklon wrote: I got a question about insurance.

Currently, there are three drivers in the household: my dad, mom, and me. We have two cars. Currently, my dad is primary on car1, my mother is primary on car2, and I am secondary on car2. We are currently all under one insurance company. Now I want to switch to another insurance company for car2 with me being primary and my mother would be secondary back on car1 instead. So the question is, do I have to have my mom and dad as secondary on car2 for them to drive car2 for insurance2 to know of all drivers in the household?
When you insure the vehicle with another insurer, you will have to disclose all drivers in the household and their insurance particulars....also when you move this vehicle to another company, your father will have to advise his insurer of your new policy number.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
aslanz wrote: Hi, I recently got my G2 2 weeks ago. My dad just bought an '05 Dodge caravan (privately), and my parents want to put me as second driver so i can also use it.
I do not know much about car insurance, but if at all possible could you shed some light on the type of insurance that we should get, whether bumper-to-bumper is necessary. I found an quote from belairdirect using kanetix or w/e that site is called for about $2900/year. Does that seem like a decent rate? Given that my father has never been in an accident nor has he any minor violations, and has had a full license for over 6 years in canada alone.

I also read in one of ur first posts saying that ontario doesnt require continuous coverage. what did you mean by that?

You only are required to carry liability insurance in ontario, preferably a minimal $1MIL of coverage. Collision and comprehensive are optional coverages and only you can decide to add those coverages...your parents should discuss their options with their broker. Impossible to guess if that rate is good or not, not knowing your territory and all drivers details.... Most insurance companies will not have an issue for a lapse of insurance coverage if it was for reasons of for example, not owning a vehicle because of breakdown...if you haven't had insurance for a while because of an insurer cancelling you because of a bad record, then that would be looked at by an insurer and rated according to their underwriting guidelines, again, call your broker to discuss....
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2977 posts
784 upvotes
Hi!

I've got 3 vehicles:

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier
2005 Montana SV6
2008 Chevrolet HHR SS

The cavalier is old and a beater. Only have the basic (least amount legal) insurance on it.

All 3 are driven by my wife and I.

I am 34, licensed for 17 years.
She is 33, licensed for 15 years.

No claims, I have had a couple small speeding tickets in the last 5 years (fines only, no points - I don't think the insurance is even notified as is was only 15km/ over). She has had nothing.

For the 3 vehicles, we are paying almost $3000 a year. I think it is insane.

How off base am I, or is my insurance company? I'm definitely shopping....

thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2005
1166 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
hackex wrote: Is there something known as weather related accident?

I ask because due to snow/ice my brother drove into a ditch going on a highway in the US. He was driving along the highway with the flow of traffic, wasn't speeding or anything. The snow removal equipment was out clearing snow and it was still snowing pretty heavy. State trooper arrived but didn't issue any ticket. The insurance is considering this at fault.

Is there room for some negotiation as in 60/40, 50/50 fault?
Just want to update, the accident was assessed 100% at fault and car was declared totalled. The insurance paid cost of comparable car + pst. They didn't pay gst saying that the car was purchased privately and so none was payed when it was bought............are they allowed to do this? I mean what if I were to go and buy another replacement car from a dealer and ended up paying gst afterall. Can I get this from them or is there no way around this?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2600 posts
1151 upvotes
No you will not be able to get GST out of your insurance company. The purpose of the auto insurance is to put you back in the same position before the accident occurred. Since you didn't pay GST initially that would be putting you ahead of where you were initially. I'm surprised they knew that though, your brother must've told the claims adjuster it was bought privately?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2009
1537 posts
87 upvotes
Planet X
Damed wrote: Hi!

I've got 3 vehicles:

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier
2005 Montana SV6
2008 Chevrolet HHR SS

The cavalier is old and a beater. Only have the basic (least amount legal) insurance on it.

All 3 are driven by my wife and I.

I am 34, licensed for 17 years.
She is 33, licensed for 15 years.

No claims, I have had a couple small speeding tickets in the last 5 years (fines only, no points - I don't think the insurance is even notified as is was only 15km/ over). She has had nothing.

For the 3 vehicles, we are paying almost $3000 a year. I think it is insane.

How off base am I, or is my insurance company? I'm definitely shopping....

thanks!
That is actually quite cheap. Well to me anyway.

What is the insurance cost breakdown for each vehicle?
.... I see, a bright past ....
but it's starting to dim.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2005
1166 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Capt. wrote: No you will not be able to get GST out of your insurance company. The purpose of the auto insurance is to put you back in the same position before the accident occurred. Since you didn't pay GST initially that would be putting you ahead of where you were initially. I'm surprised they knew that though, your brother must've told the claims adjuster it was bought privately?
Yes he was asked by the adjuster whether it was bought privately or not. I still don't feel this is fair since the car which was purchased in place of the accidental was infact purchased through a dealer and he did end up paying the GST which he never received. Thus he was in a way penalized/put behind.
Jul 7, 2009
1 posts
Hello, just have a couple questions for you.

My boyfriend and I recently moved in together and would like to transfer our insurance to either mine or his. Here is the catch..
I was driving a 92 4 runner, but has recently crapped out and am not driving it anymore, but the insurance is still being paid for and is under my name. He loaned me his 09 tacoma to drive and decided i might as well use it from now on because I need a truck for work. He is going to drive his 95 BMW (both tacoma and BMW are insured under his name. I would like to cancel my insurance on the 4 runner, and transfer to his insurer as a secondary driver on the tacoma, but i hear this is illegal. I've only been driving for 2 years so insuring an 09 under my name would cost an arm and a leg! Is there any suggestions you have that we could do?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2884 posts
222 upvotes
Just one quick question...
Let's say the father in a family owns 2 cars. One that he drives and one that has been parked for awhile. If one of the sons(who doesn't live at home) insures the car that hasn't been driven under his name only and drives the car. Would it be any problem as the ownership is in the fathers name but the insurance would only be under the sons name???
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1063 posts
547 upvotes
Not sure if this has been asked and answered before, but I was always curious about whether an insurer would cover cases such as the following:
  • You drive carelessly and cause damage to your vehicle and some one else's vehicle.
  • You drive drunk and cause damage to your vehicle and some one else's vehicle.
In either case, you have been found guilty.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
quiksilverkj wrote: Hello, just have a couple questions for you.

My boyfriend and I recently moved in together and would like to transfer our insurance to either mine or his. Here is the catch..
I was driving a 92 4 runner, but has recently crapped out and am not driving it anymore, but the insurance is still being paid for and is under my name. He loaned me his 09 tacoma to drive and decided i might as well use it from now on because I need a truck for work. He is going to drive his 95 BMW (both tacoma and BMW are insured under his name. I would like to cancel my insurance on the 4 runner, and transfer to his insurer as a secondary driver on the tacoma, but i hear this is illegal. I've only been driving for 2 years so insuring an 09 under my name would cost an arm and a leg! Is there any suggestions you have that we could do?

Thanks.
I am only licd for ontario - you may want to contact an insurance rep from your province...sorry I couldn't have been more help..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9276 posts
1843 upvotes
Ontario
001Stunna wrote: Just one quick question...
Let's say the father in a family owns 2 cars. One that he drives and one that has been parked for awhile. If one of the sons(who doesn't live at home) insures the car that hasn't been driven under his name only and drives the car. Would it be any problem as the ownership is in the fathers name but the insurance would only be under the sons name???
Insurance policies read the same as the ownership, so if the vehicle is registered to dad, then the policy will be in dads name. However, dad can have his son listed as the principle operator on the policy.