Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote: Probably already asked, buy I don't want to look through 90 pages! :-)

What's the rule on parking on a statutory holiday such as Labour Day?
I understood it to be that one still has to pay at a meter.
However, street parking that prohibits parking during specified times (i.e. No parking M-F 9-6) are free.
Can you confirm this?
Thanks

No Parking zones are fully enforced on statutory holidays unless there are specific holiday exemptions posted. Parking meters and on-street Pay & Display are free on statutory holidays. You still have to pay for parking in off-street parking lots.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
crawlingeye wrote: I was parked briefly to pick up a takeout meal, and the parking guy cruised the street. Everyone inside ran out to their cars, and the parking officer drove away.

THEN he circled around and came back 3 minutes later! I scooted back to my car, and he got out of his car said "are you making fun of me?" I didn't reply and drove away, without receiving a ticket.
[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c56/K ... ry_bro.jpg[/IMG]
crawlingeye wrote: Are they still not issuing tickets to people who drive away?

Tickets are not typically issued if the vehicle is driven away.
crawlingeye wrote: -Eye

(I went back and picked up my meal. Yum!)
[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e380/ ... 150165.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
Hi Fox71,

I got a parking ticket back in April of 2008, near Sheppard and Leslie. I went to the Eglinton court office and chose option (3).

I haven't heard from them ever since: there's no mail, notification, nothing at all.

Is that normal?

Apparently my MTO records are fine, because I was able to renew my plates...
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
longitude wrote: Hi Fox71,

I got a parking ticket back in April of 2008, near Sheppard and Leslie. I went to the Eglinton court office and chose option (3).

I haven't heard from them ever since: there's no mail, notification, nothing at all.

Is that normal?

No that's not normal. You probably won't get a trial date at this point. You can call and ask though.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
Fox1971 wrote: No that's not normal. You probably won't get a trial date at this point. You can call and ask though.
What if they sent a notice of trial, but I didn't get it in the mail? Is it like not paying a traffic ticket? Would I be convicted?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
longitude wrote: What if they sent a notice of trial, but I didn't get it in the mail? Is it like not paying a traffic ticket? Would I be convicted?

If you didn't respond to the Notice of Impending Conviction then you would have been convicted in absentia. You would then have been sent a Notice of Conviction and fine due date. If you didn't respond to that then the outstanding fine would have been sent to the MTO for collection. Since your ticket was from April 2008 it would have been sent to the MTO by now and you would have been required to pay it in order to get new plates or validation stickers. If you have renewed your plate sticker any time in the last 24 months and didn't have to pay for the outstanding fine, you are in the clear. It's possible that the ticket was lost in the system, the PEO canceled the ticket afterwards or it may have not been processed for any number of other reasons. April 2008 was also the tail end of that period where tickets were being canceled to reduce the backlog in the courts so maybe that's what happened.
Sep 5, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
Hi everyone, I got a parking ticket issued on 12:04am Sunday after I parked my car at Saturday night 11pm by a parking meter showing: Sat 8am-9pm and Sun 1pm-9pm. Why I got a parking ticket? According to the parking meter I don't need to pay after 9pm Sat and before 1pm Sun! Am I right? Under what conditions, I still need to pay and how to pay, since the parking meter will display "overpayment"? Thanks very much.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
joronto wrote: Hi everyone, I got a parking ticket issued on 12:04am Sunday after I parked my car at Saturday night 11pm by a parking meter showing: Sat 8am-9pm and Sun 1pm-9pm. Why I got a parking ticket? According to the parking meter I don't need to pay after 9pm Sat and before 1pm Sun! Am I right? Under what conditions, I still need to pay and how to pay, since the parking meter will display "overpayment"? Thanks very much.

did you park in the area that required a parking permit?
Sep 5, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
vero95 wrote: did you park in the area that required a parking permit?

Thanks for the reply. That's very likely the case. If I recall correctly, there is a sign "12:01am-7am" no parking except by permit. I would like to know how and where to get such a permit, coz it is in my neighborhood and I need to park there from time to time. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
joronto wrote: Thanks for the reply. That's very likely the case. If I recall correctly, there is a sign "12:01am-7am" no parking except by permit. I would like to know how and where to get such a permit, coz it is in my neighborhood and I need to park there from time to time. Thanks.

Those parking permits are typically for residents of the neighbourhood who don't have parking available on their private property. If you need to park on the street occasionally then you can buy temporary on-street parking permits. Here is the link so you can do that:

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/onstreet/index.htm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7834 posts
1523 upvotes
longitude wrote: What if they sent a notice of trial, but I didn't get it in the mail? Is it like not paying a traffic ticket? Would I be convicted?

Keeping waiting ...

I just got my court dates this month for 2008 tickets. 2 of them so far.

I filed at downtown office.
Dec 9, 2004
457 posts
26 upvotes
$100 parking ticket for park 3m of fire hydrant. If go to the court, what could be the argument? Could one ask the judge to reduce the fine? And if fail at court, what's the additional consequences comparing with just pay it? Thanks.
Feb 2, 2011
215 posts
22 upvotes
So from what I see in this topic, $40 Toronto Parking Tickets are no longer being thrown out and I should just go and pay the fine?
Feb 2, 2011
215 posts
22 upvotes
Sent my cheque today, found it they charge extra to go in and pay in person, bunch of crooks.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
Honestly I hate Parking Patrole. Especially @ university of Waterloo.

I always Cuss them off whenever I see them walking around.

I hate them so much.

**** Parking Patrol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)