Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
TSDH wrote: Got a ticket that hasn't been registered in both the online and phone payment systems and 13 days have passed since it was issued--Payment is due in 2 days. Would prefer to pay online as it gives a record of payment though I know that's unlikely given the slowness of government bureacracy, :lol: .
Would I be able to pay over the phone after speaking to a customer service rep about the problem?

You can wait for the mail to come and then pay it. If you do not receive anything the ticket might have fallen through the cracks and you got lucky.

Double check the licence plate on the ticket - sometimes they make mistakes.
Jan 18, 2005
250 posts
11 upvotes
Hi, just got a ticket in Mississauga (i know not toronto but still wanna give it a try) for "parking for longer than 3 hrs"... but on the ticket the license plate number is missing a number (eg. 123ABC is written as 12ABC).

Can I just go to the office and have them cancel it? thanks for the help in advance

G
Go RAPTORS GO!! :cheesygri GO LEAFS GO!! :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14709 posts
5757 upvotes
Gatineau
crazy_diamond wrote: Hi, just got a ticket in Mississauga (i know not toronto but still wanna give it a try) for "parking for longer than 3 hrs"... but on the ticket the license plate number is missing a number (eg. 123ABC is written as 12ABC).

Can I just go to the office and have them cancel it? thanks for the help in advance

G

No. Just wait for them to mail you (if they can) a Notice of Impending Conviction in the mail which they may have problems doing if your licence plate info they have is inaccurate.

djino
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14709 posts
5757 upvotes
Gatineau
bmgraphix wrote: SOME FACTS AND MISCONCEPTIONS

FACT � DON�T ignore parking tickets cause they will never go away, they will catch up to you eventually and usually a high price to pay.
FACT � Parking tickets NEVER affect your insurance
FACT � IF the officer issues you the ticket and doesn�t put it on your windshield, because you drove away, you are still going to get the ticket, it will be sent as a Notice of Impending Conviction, unless the officer decides to cancel it.
OP, There are ONLY two ways you can get a parking ticket. First, the officer can place the parking ticket to your vehicle (near/under wiper blade of your windshield). Second, the officer can personally serve you the parking ticket (hand it to you). If you drive away before he places the parking ticket on your vehicle or hands it to you, that parking ticket is invalid.

Provincial Offences Act Section 15(4)

djino
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
crazy_diamond wrote: Hi, just got a ticket in Mississauga (i know not toronto but still wanna give it a try) for "parking for longer than 3 hrs"... but on the ticket the license plate number is missing a number (eg. 123ABC is written as 12ABC).

G

Don't bother going to the office. There is no way they will find you with an incomplete licence plate number.
Besides the parking over 3 hours "offence" has more to do with grumpy annoyed residents than with public safety.
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
theweave wrote: I didn't want to quote the thread as it is long, but I am replying as to the post about the handicapped parking issue.

As a carrier of a handicapped permit, there is nothing more frustrating then finding someone parked there with no permit! These people deserve the tickets, plain and simple. As a matter of fact, I think they should be towed and not ticketed. Giving them a ticket means the car is still parked in the spot. If you tow it, that spot is now free for someone who needs it!

I did have to laugh at the part that said they cannot paint the spots because of "snow and it makes them slippery" R U Kidding me??? I have yet to find a painted spot that is "slippery" when you get out. Just because it might snow sometimes is no excuse either. If that were the case, then why bother painting any lines on the roads? They will get covered up with snow too eventually. Why paint anything????? This guy wants us to believe that it snows 11 months of the year in Toronto! Oh wait, this is the same city that called in the army once!!! Maybe it is that bad! :razz:

I know this "winter" has been nothing! I live an hour from Toronto and have shovelled I think twice and used our snow blower about three times all season! I will take this "winter" every year if I can!!!

Bottom line here, if you are not handicapped and don't have a permit, DO NOT PARK THERE!!!!!! There really is no defense here. If it is a handicapped spot and you get ticketed, guess what? Obviously you are not handicapped and/or do not have a permit!

I will admit that my son "inadvertently" parked in a handicapped spot a few years ago. He got a ticket. He paid the fine the next day. He learned to look around when you park!!! Not an issue now that he is, indeed, in need of a handicapped permit and has one.
Im sure some one prob already posted a comment on this but i wanted to put my 2 sense in on it as well.
Yes is true a lot of ppl abuse handicap spots and park there without permits while a person with a wheel chair actually could have used that spot instead of parking waaaays away.
Now on the other hand one of the reasons the changed the law is not because paint can get slippery when parking on it but bc when its covered with snow or dirt or other stuff a standard person will not be coming out of the car to clear it just to see if its a disability spot or not. Thats why they implemented that there has to be a stationary sign posted for handicap sign in order for that spot to be be a proper handicap and it can be enforced.
So that way even if the sign is on ground 2feet under water a person in a big car can still see that its a handicap sign and park there even when its obstructed on the ground.

now its up to individual properties to post those signs and make sure they obey the sign by-law
Any one can park in handicap spots that are posted on the ground as long as the actual sign is missing.

Some sum ass security guards will still ticket for that even tho daam well they know they should not.when the city comes out on by-law enforcement companies they will not ticket for that. Like we saw in the news lately even cops will park in those such called improper spots.

Should the fines be be bigger and stricter like u said up to towing - sure
but if the property dose not wana spend the money on the sign and posting it than handicap people unfortunately are out of luck.
Also any handicap sign that can be moved- such as the one on cement blocks that can be dragged from spot to spot are also not proper spot. bc some one move them in front of a random car just so it can be ticketed.

Im sure a lot of us don't wana get a ticket just bc some kids decided it would be fun to move the sign in front of ur car while ur away and see u get $450 ticket
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
afiglee wrote: I believe some security guards have the authority to issue parking tickets. Try to search this thread - it was discussed before.

Yes they do as long as they are MLEO certified by the city of toronto.
Now if it is a security guard 99% of security guards don't get paid to attend court in toronto so most of the other don't bother and do it just to keep the work location and issued tickets. Now others will still show up on their own time.

There are companies out there who's employees only issue parking tickets and get paid to attend court they issued the Yellow city of Toronto tickets and other municipalities you can bet those guys will show up to court and they do private property like condos and such.
hope this helps
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote: OP, There are ONLY two ways you can get a parking ticket. First, the officer can place the parking ticket to your vehicle (near/under wiper blade of your windshield). Second, the officer can personally serve you the parking ticket (hand it to you). If you drive away before he places the parking ticket on your vehicle or hands it to you, that parking ticket is invalid.

Provincial Offences Act Section 15(4)

djino

Im not sure how true this is but this is also what i herd parking guys do.
The ticket has to touch the car so if let say the spit on the ticket and the ticket touches ur car or they place it on ur rear wiper and it flies off officer will put in his notes that he placed the ticket on the car even tho u drove away or if ur really mean to them they will drop it on the ground as ur drive away and say in their notes that u drooped it after it was hand given to you. In which case the ticket will be processed as usual and its ur word against their in court.
Jun 11, 2012
2 posts
ST. JOHN'S
dima14riga wrote: Im not sure how true this is but this is also what i herd parking guys do.
The ticket has to touch the car so if let say the spit on the ticket and the ticket touches ur car or they place it on ur rear wiper and it flies off officer will put in his notes that he placed the ticket on the car even tho u drove away or if ur really mean to them they will drop it on the ground as ur drive away and say in their notes that u drooped it after it was hand given to you. In which case the ticket will be processed as usual and its ur word against their in court.

I'm going to court this month to fight a ticket that was never issued to me. The ticket is only $30, but I'm fighting it for the principle of it.

What happened is that I did park illegally to go to a store and when I came out, I saw the officer entering information on his handheld. He was behind my car, with his car parked in front of mine. I quickly walked to my car, he saw me and walked right past me still entering information. We both got into our cars and we both drove away. I was never given the ticket, nor it was affixed to my vehicle. I never actually saw the yellow tag.

2 weeks later, I get a letter in the mail.

What pisses me most is that, it will be his word against mine. And him being a sworn officer, they will believe him.

What is more disturbing is that even if I win, what do I get out of it? Just not having to pay the $30. I don't get compensated for time lost from work or for personal time wasted. It is a system that is rigged to take your money. Even if the police is dead wrong in writing the ticket, they don't care. They get paid time and a half to go to court and they get to take a break from work by doing so to boot.

As a tax payer, I'm appalled that I have to pay someone time and a half for wasting my time!

/End rant
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2110 posts
644 upvotes
despotic wrote: I'm going to court this month to fight a ticket that was never issued to me. The ticket is only $30, but I'm fighting it for the principle of it.

What happened is that I did park illegally to go to a store and when I came out, I saw the officer entering information on his handheld. He was behind my car, with his car parked in front of mine. I quickly walked to my car, he saw me and walked right past me still entering information. We both got into our cars and we both drove away. I was never given the ticket, nor it was affixed to my vehicle. I never actually saw the yellow tag.

What pisses me most is that, it will be his word against mine. And him being a sworn officer, they will believe him.

What is more disturbing is that even if I win, what do I get out of it? Just not having to pay the $30. I don't get compensated for time lost from work or for personal time wasted. It is a system that is rigged to take your money. Even if the police is dead wrong in writing the ticket, they don't care. They get paid time and a half to go to court and they get to take a break from work by doing so to boot.

As a tax payer, I'm appalled that I have to pay someone time and a half for wasting my time!

/End rant
Funny legal system we have here eh....they may not be able to penalize you offically with a valid parking ticket, but you do lose time and wage for the day. I think its perfectly fine for people like you...made a msitake but don't wanna face the consequences. ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3149 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver
despotic wrote: I'm going to court this month to fight a ticket that was never issued to me. The ticket is only $30, but I'm fighting it for the principle of it.

/End rant

You should post this in other stickied thread about tickets.

I thought you had to be physically handed the ticket or it had to be affixed to your car in order for it to stand?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14709 posts
5757 upvotes
Gatineau

/End rant
litebrite wrote: You should post this in other stickied thread about tickets.

I thought you had to be physically handed the ticket or it had to be affixed to your car in order for it to stand?
Yes, as literbrite indicates, if the police officer never handed you the ticket nor placed it on your vehicle, then that ticket is invalid.

Just take a look at what the law states for the Provincial Offences Act Section 15(4)
Service on owner
(4) The issuing provincial offences officer may serve the parking infraction notice on the owner of the vehicle identified in the notice,
(a) by affixing it to the vehicle in a conspicuous place at the time of the alleged infraction; or
(b) by delivering it personally to the person having care and control of the vehicle at the time of the alleged infraction.
And also as literbrite indicates, follow the thread here to see the best way to deal with parking tickets (which actually is to NOT PAY THE FINE nor REQUEST A TRIAL - for the moment).

Post #43 of that thread

---

WHEN YOU SHOULD DO NOTHING (Don't Pay Fine, Don't Request A Trial)

As I mention in the OP, the first thing you should do when you get a traffic ticket is Request a Trial. Though there are a few exceptions to this rule.

1) Incorrect calculation of fine

2) Parking Tickets

A parking ticket will give you a 2 week due date (15 days), but you actually have 17 days. YOU NEED TO IGNORE IT ( you do not pay it, you do not request a trial, you do nothing - for now).

As per the Provincial Offences Act, s.18, they must send you a Notice of Impending Conviction after 17 days has elapse but no more than 36 days. (no you are NOT convicted yet).

YOU then have another 15 days to respond ( by either paying the fine or requesting a trial). Which means this can take up to Day 58 since receiving the parking infraction ticket.

On the 15th day (due date) of the Notice of Impending Conviction is where you should Request a trial. Why??

Provincial Offences Act, s.18.1(2) states that the city must submit ALL paperwork to the court within 75 days of receiving the parking infraction. Since you have waited until Day 58 to request a trial, they only have 17 days to do this.. If they don't, is a valid reason to have your parking ticket dropped.

But in the chance that they DO NOT do this within the 75 days, you can get the Justice to squash the charge. You would tell the Justice:
Section 17(2) of the Provincial Offences Act requires court documents to be filed within 75 days. They have not done this. You must quash the charge.

djino
"Goodluck!"
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
TSDH wrote: Got a ticket that hasn't been registered in both the online and phone payment systems and 13 days have passed since it was issued--Payment is due in 2 days. Would prefer to pay online as it gives a record of payment though I know that's unlikely given the slowness of government bureacracy, :lol: .
Would I be able to pay over the phone after speaking to a customer service rep about the problem?
If it was hand written ticket don't pay it until u get the notice in the mail. If that the case maybe the person issuing it didn't not submit the ticket and ur don't have to pay it. I know some major private companies in ontario issue the hand written tickets but submit them late and ticket becomes void. Ie private company that issues hand written tickets got 48 hrs to submit their copies to parking enforcement. If they don't than ticket automatically becomes void.
Mar 7, 2010
3 posts
What happen if you have let your parking tickets pile up and cant afford to pay them all at once. Do they offer payment plans? and if they do cant you get your sticker renewal before you have payed it all?
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
tmredx wrote: What happen if you have let your parking tickets pile up and cant afford to pay them all at once. Do they offer payment plans? and if they do cant you get your sticker renewal before you have payed it all?
You will have to pay all your tickets and extra admin fees before you can get your sticker renewed.
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
djino wrote: 2) Parking Tickets

A parking ticket will give you a 2 week due date (15 days), but you actually have 17 days. YOU NEED TO IGNORE IT ( you do not pay it, you do not request a trial, you do nothing - for now).

As per the Provincial Offences Act, s.18, they must send you a Notice of Impending Conviction after 17 days has elapse but no more than 36 days. (no you are NOT convicted yet).

YOU then have another 15 days to respond ( by either paying the fine or requesting a trial). Which means this can take up to Day 58 since receiving the parking infraction ticket.

On the 15th day (due date) of the Notice of Impending Conviction is where you should Request a trial. Why??

Provincial Offences Act, s.18.1(2) states that the city must submit ALL paperwork to the court within 75 days of receiving the parking infraction. Since you have waited until Day 58 to request a trial, they only have 17 days to do this.. If they don't, is a valid reason to have your parking ticket dropped.

But in the chance that they DO NOT do this within the 75 days, you can get the Justice to squash the charge. You would tell the Justice:

djino
"Goodluck!"
Does this actually work in Toronto? If they send you a notice 17 days after the offence and allow another 15 days to pay it will be 32 days when you need to ether pay or request a trial. There is a long way to go till 75 days and with the cash hungry city I really doubt the clerks would be allowed to delay the paperwork submission to the court for 43 days.
Nov 25, 2011
423 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
I have a query that I can't find the answer to. The street I live on was recently re-paved with a new road and pavements. As part of this they took out all the parking meters. Now there is a sign that says 'paid parking 8am to 9pm' but they haven't put the parking meters back. Can they give you a ticket if there is no way to pay? From walking down the street since they took the meters out I have not yet seen a single ticket issued (I used to see plenty) but I am not sure on the rule...

Also, once the meters come back, is it ok to park overnight (9pm to 8am) in these spots or will this fall foul of the '3 hour rule'?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
michty6 wrote: I have a query that I can't find the answer to. The street I live on was recently re-paved with a new road and pavements. As part of this they took out all the parking meters. Now there is a sign that says 'paid parking 8am to 9pm' but they haven't put the parking meters back. Can they give you a ticket if there is no way to pay? From walking down the street since they took the meters out I have not yet seen a single ticket issued (I used to see plenty) but I am not sure on the rule...

Also, once the meters come back, is it ok to park overnight (9pm to 8am) in these spots or will this fall foul of the '3 hour rule'?
3 hours rule still applies. you need a permit
if you can;t pay, they should not give you a ticket I would think
Sep 23, 2010
3 posts
I have read the first post and searched around through the posts, there is very little regarding condo parking.

Here is my situation, and my question is that: do I have a chance to have the court cancel the ticket?

I got a $30 ticket for parking at a spot my condo management told me it was "mine".

I recently bought a condo with a parking spot. On the purchase agreement, it indicates I own parking spot A. I encountered issue with condo management before, so I went to the management on the closing date to make sure the information it is correct.

I asked the manager if i own spot A. She told me I need register online to be 100% sure. So I did. I received an email telling me I own spot B.

So I park my car at spot B, until last weekend I received the parking ticket for parking at a spot without owner's consent.

This morning I printed the email I received from management and the ticket, went to the management to inquire about this issue. Same manager told me that the owner of the spot B saw my car at his spot, went to security, ask them to do something. Security told him they have no idea whose car it is (despite the fact my car information is in the security system). So the owner of spot B called parking enforcement and I received a ticket.

Management told me that there is nothing they can do, other than write a letter state it is a mistake on the management that the information provided to me was wrong.

Thank you for bearing with me. Do you think I have a chance to get the ticket cancelled, with letter and email from the management?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
wenkeren wrote: I have read the first post and searched around through the posts, there is very little regarding condo parking.

Here is my situation, and my question is that: do I have a chance to have the court cancel the ticket?

I got a $30 ticket for parking at a spot my condo management told me it was "mine".

I recently bought a condo with a parking spot. On the purchase agreement, it indicates I own parking spot A. I encountered issue with condo management before, so I went to the management on the closing date to make sure the information it is correct.

I asked the manager if i own spot A. She told me I need register online to be 100% sure. So I did. I received an email telling me I own spot B.

So I park my car at spot B, until last weekend I received the parking ticket for parking at a spot without owner's consent.

This morning I printed the email I received from management and the ticket, went to the management to inquire about this issue. Same manager told me that the owner of the spot B saw my car at his spot, went to security, ask them to do something. Security told him they have no idea whose car it is (despite the fact my car information is in the security system). So the owner of spot B called parking enforcement and I received a ticket.

Management told me that there is nothing they can do, other than write a letter state it is a mistake on the management that the information provided to me was wrong.

Thank you for bearing with me. Do you think I have a chance to get the ticket cancelled, with letter and email from the management?
assuming that the ticket was issued by the city and not some private company, I'd plead not guilty and take it to the court if you want to dispute it

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)