Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
iownyou wrote: that is your logic not his.... what he was thinking was more like charging a pre-paid phone :facepalm:
No, I described his logic perfectly. Pay & Display parking permits have very definite expiry dates/times clearly printed on the face of them. Here is a picture of a P&D permit below. Notice how it clearly states on the top left "Expiration Date" and "Expiration Time" with the date and time printed in the giant font directly below them? All the OP did was pay twice for the same approximate short block of parking time, not for one extended block of parking time like he should have. You can top up pre-paid phone minutes because they don't expire. The same does not apply to paid parking which anybody with any degree of common sense knows expires at a clearly identified date/time. You get a "double" for your failed argument. :facepalm: :facepalm:

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... G_0074.jpg[/IMG]
Apr 9, 2010
31 posts
3 upvotes
What's a suspended sentence? Will I at least get my charges reduced?

I feel like a provision needs to be added for this specific scenario. I can't be the only one who accidentally pressed "buy" on the ticket machine too early and decided to be honest and buy another one...

It's like buying merchandise at a store, paying for it but realizing you shortchanged them $5 (and they didn't realize it yet), going back and paying them the other $5 and then going to jail for shoplifting. Sounds like something that can only happen in the USA.
Jun 4, 2012
25 posts
Toronto
Please help!
I got a ticket for $60 yesterday behind Eaton Center on Albert Street although I paid for parking.

Parking Infraction Notice says: (code no.8) Stand signed highway during prohibited (times/days)

Missed noticing the darn thing coz it was rolled tightly under the wiper, almost hidden from view. Did the officer want to surprise me??

Anyway, I went back there today to see if I had missed something yesterday.
-There is a big green sign that says what times the parking is enforced. Mon - Sat 8am - 9pm / 2 hrs max for $3.50 each hour.
-There is also a small sign saying the three spots in the beginning of the street (nearer to Eaton) is for taxis.
Now I can't remember if I was parked in or after that point. There were definitely private cars parked in front and behind me yesterday. Don't know if this was the cause.

My question is: Can I fight this? I did take reasonable steps and bought a $4 ticket at 11:50am and displayed it on my dash and left the place by 12:30pm. The time of infraction is 12:05pm. What are my chances and am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1125 posts
206 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: No, I described his logic perfectly. Pay & Display parking permits have very definite expiry dates/times clearly printed on the face of them. Here is a picture of a P&D permit below. Notice how it clearly states on the top left "Expiration Date" and "Expiration Time" with the date and time printed in the giant font directly below them? All the OP did was pay twice for the same approximate short block of parking time, not for one extended block of parking time like he should have. You can top up pre-paid phone minutes because they don't expire. The same does not apply to paid parking which anybody with any degree of common sense knows expires at a clearly identified date/time. You get a "double" for your failed argument. :facepalm: :facepalm:

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... G_0074.jpg[/IMG]
:facepalm: please read carefully what ioweyou said in prev post......

you're right about the ticket, but OP thought it otherwise.... thus by his logic it was charging his pre-paid phone~~~
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1384 posts
183 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: . The same does not apply to paid parking which anybody with any degree of common sense knows expires at a clearly identified date/time. You get a "double" for your failed argument. :facepalm: :facepalm: [/IMG]

Fox,

Common sense would be the parking enforcement individual being able to do basic math and add the amount of time purchased on the two individual tickets.

Then again, in my time taking a couple courses related to bylaw enforcement alongside its future employees, I've realized that that kind of crazy, fan dangled rocket science is definitely is not in the job description.
Sep 28, 2006
4 posts
I got a ticket on Sunday in the basement at sobeys on Front and Bremner. It was a Sunday and I paid the max 12$ at 2 pm at around 5 pm i got a ticket.
How is it possible that i paid $12 dollars max when i could of just it incrementally increase by the hour to get more time for less money.
It was one of those private blue tickets.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Nyte7 wrote: What's a suspended sentence?
That is when you are convicted but the JP says you don't have to pay a fine.
Nyte7 wrote: Will I at least get my charges reduced?
No. You can make a deal with the prosecutor for a reduced fine in exchange for a guilty plea.
Nyte7 wrote: I feel like a provision needs to be added for this specific scenario. I can't be the only one who accidentally pressed "buy" on the ticket machine too early and decided to be honest and buy another one...
No. It is your responsibility to ensure that you purchase a P&D permit that expires at the appropriate time, not the city's to accommodate you when you fail to do so.
Nyte7 wrote: It's like buying merchandise at a store, paying for it but realizing you shortchanged them $5 (and they didn't realize it yet), going back and paying them the other $5 and then going to jail for shoplifting. Sounds like something that can only happen in the USA.
No, it isn't like that at all. You freely admitted that it was your error that caused you to purchase a permit with not enough time. If the machine had malfunctioned and not given you enough time, then you might have had a leg to stand on but that wasn't the case. Instead of purchasing a new permit with the appropriate amount of time, your solution was to commit the exact same error over again in an effort to save a couple of dollars and hope that would be good enough. You can't correct a mistake by repeating the same mistake a second time and you shouldn't be rewarded for doing so. Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? You made a mistake so man-up, accept the consequences, move on with your life and stop whining about how you think it isn't fair.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
megaclick wrote: Please help!
I got a ticket for $60 yesterday behind Eaton Center on Albert Street although I paid for parking.

Parking Infraction Notice says: (code no.8) Stand signed highway during prohibited (times/days)

Missed noticing the darn thing coz it was rolled tightly under the wiper, almost hidden from view. Did the officer want to surprise me??

Anyway, I went back there today to see if I had missed something yesterday.
-There is a big green sign that says what times the parking is enforced. Mon - Sat 8am - 9pm / 2 hrs max for $3.50 each hour.
-There is also a small sign saying the three spots in the beginning of the street (nearer to Eaton) is for taxis.
Now I can't remember if I was parked in or after that point. There were definitely private cars parked in front and behind me yesterday. Don't know if this was the cause.

My question is: Can I fight this? I did take reasonable steps and bought a $4 ticket at 11:50am and displayed it on my dash and left the place by 12:30pm. The time of infraction is 12:05pm. What are my chances and am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
If you received that ticket then that means that some portion of your vehicle was in the No Standing zone. All that is required for enforcement to be carried out is that one third of the total length of the vehicle is in the No Standing zone. I always tell people that if you can't fit your entire car into the parking space then it isn't a parking space. It doesn't matter that you paid for parking because that only applies to the paid parking section and not the entire street. The ticket was legitimate and you will not win if you attempt to fight it at trial.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
magic18 wrote: :facepalm: please read carefully what ioweyou said in prev post......

you're right about the ticket, but OP thought it otherwise.... thus by his logic it was charging his pre-paid phone~~~
I understood perfectly what was being said. What I was doing was pointing out the flaw in their logic by presenting a more accurate analogy of what actually transpired. I thought that was obvious. Apparently not. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Stinger wrote: Fox,

Common sense would be the parking enforcement individual being able to do basic math and add the amount of time purchased on the two individual tickets. .
Common sense would would dictate that one would not try to correct an error by repeating the exact same error a second time. I stand by what I said earlier. The OP admitted that it was his own mistake that caused this circumstance in the first place and instead of doing what most other people would have done by just purchasing a second P&D permit with the appropriate expiry time, he tried to save a couple of bucks and hope the PEO would let it slide. Pay & Display parking is only intended to be used for short periods of time, generally 3 hours maximum, and stacking of permits is not allowed because of these limits. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
Stinger wrote: Then again, in my time taking a couple courses related to bylaw enforcement alongside its future employees, I've realized that that kind of crazy, fan dangled rocket science is definitely is not in the job description.
Do you feel superior now by disparaging and entire group of people who you don't even know? I know that we have been on the same side for some discussions but you are off base on this one.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
jafferman wrote: I got a ticket on Sunday in the basement at sobeys on Front and Bremner. It was a Sunday and I paid the max 12$ at 2 pm at around 5 pm i got a ticket.
How is it possible that i paid $12 dollars max when i could of just it incrementally increase by the hour to get more time for less money.
It was one of those private blue tickets.
Throw it away. Private parking tickets are completely unenforceable. They can't send it to collections, the MTO or even to Santa Claus so don't worry about it.
Apr 9, 2010
31 posts
3 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: Throw it away. Private parking tickets are completely unenforceable. They can't send it to collections, the MTO or even to Santa Claus so don't worry about it.
Does that imply I can park at Air Canada Centre underground parking (private parking company) for free without consequence? It's usually $20-30 for parking but if it isn't enforced, then I save copious amounts of cash every time I go to watch a game.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3903 posts
1258 upvotes
BC
Fox1971 wrote: Common sense would would dictate that one would not try to correct an error by repeating the exact same error a second time. I stand by what I said earlier. The OP admitted that it was his own mistake that caused this circumstance in the first place and instead of doing what most other people would have done by just purchasing a second P&D permit with the appropriate expiry time, he tried to save a couple of bucks and hope the PEO would let it slide. Pay & Display parking is only intended to be used for short periods of time, generally 3 hours maximum, and stacking of permits is not allowed because of these limits. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Do you feel superior now by disparaging and entire group of people who you don't even know? I know that we have been on the same side for some discussions but you are off base on this one.
you should get a ticket for your attitude....
Apr 9, 2010
31 posts
3 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: That is when you are convicted but the JP says you don't have to pay a fine.

No. You can make a deal with the prosecutor for a reduced fine in exchange for a guilty plea.

No. It is your responsibility to ensure that you purchase a P&D permit that expires at the appropriate time, not the city's to accommodate you when you fail to do so.

No, it isn't like that at all. You freely admitted that it was your error that caused you to purchase a permit with not enough time. If the machine had malfunctioned and not given you enough time, then you might have had a leg to stand on but that wasn't the case. Instead of purchasing a new permit with the appropriate amount of time, your solution was to commit the exact same error over again in an effort to save a couple of dollars and hope that would be good enough. You can't correct a mistake by repeating the same mistake a second time and you shouldn't be rewarded for doing so. Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? You made a mistake so man-up, accept the consequences, move on with your life and stop whining about how you think it isn't fair.
Thanks for the life advice Dad. You must be a ladies man, you could have responded with the exact same answer minus the last 3 sentences but chose to come off as an arrogant, pride-ridden, ex-military vet, grandfather. In all my prior posts, I have never "whined", nor resorted to attacks on the PEO. I typed out a simple "recommendation" (in a polite way too if I might add) which got misconstrued as "whining" for some odd reason. I had a polite inquiry which got devolved by you into some kind of personal vendetta against my action.
Jul 1, 2003
394 posts
8 upvotes
Nyte7 wrote: Does that imply I can park at Air Canada Centre underground parking (private parking company) for free without consequence? It's usually $20-30 for parking but if it isn't enforced, then I save copious amounts of cash every time I go to watch a game.
You do that at the risk of them towing you.
Jul 1, 2003
394 posts
8 upvotes
Nyte7 wrote: Thanks for the life advice Dad. You must be a ladies man, you could have responded with the exact same answer minus the last 3 sentences but chose to come off as an arrogant, pride-ridden, ex-military vet, grandfather. In all my prior posts, I have never "whined", nor resorted to attacks on the PEO. I typed out a simple "recommendation" (in a polite way too if I might add) which got misconstrued as "whining" for some odd reason. I had a polite inquiry which got devolved by you into some kind of personal vendetta against my action.
He's just being a little harsh when he gives out his opinion. But facts wise he's actually rather informative. So just let it be.

In your particular case, yes, your fine will get reduced, and more than likely even completely waived. Courts/prosecutors dealing with parking tickets issued due to drivers' good faith errors aren't punitive. If you arrive to court with your two permits, I see no reason why the charge won't be withdrawn or a suspended sentence given.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Nyte7 wrote: Does that imply I can park at Air Canada Centre underground parking (private parking company) for free without consequence? It's usually $20-30 for parking but if it isn't enforced, then I save copious amounts of cash every time I go to watch a game.
Last time I checked the security at the ACC were certified MLEO's and they issue real City of Toronto parking tickets. Why don't you park there without paying and let us all know how that turns out for you?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Nyte7 wrote: Thanks for the life advice Dad. You must be a ladies man, you could have responded with the exact same answer minus the last 3 sentences but chose to come off as an arrogant, pride-ridden, ex-military vet, grandfather. In all my prior posts, I have never "whined", nor resorted to attacks on the PEO. I typed out a simple "recommendation" (in a polite way too if I might add) which got misconstrued as "whining" for some odd reason. I had a polite inquiry which got devolved by you into some kind of personal vendetta against my action.
Sensitive much?
[IMG]http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww17 ... hing02.gif[/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)