Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Newbie
Oct 23, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO
Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if this has been addressed already. I am not a resident of Ontario, but I am currently in Toronto and I come here often. I have received 3 parking tickets in the past two years, the third being issued at 4am this morning for parking within 3 meters of a fire hydrant. I didn't realize I wasn't parked far enough away, since it's a space everyone on the block parks and in which I have never before been ticketed, but it is what it is. I have US plates, so I understand that I do not have to worry about them right now because of the lack of reciprocal agreements and such, but I'm wondering if the tickets will come back to haunt me if I were to import my car and attempt to register it in Ontario. Will I be presented with a bill full of fines and fees when I go to get plates?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2007
3181 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
so my dad parked on No standing zone and got a ticket due to his lack of english and not understanding if he was able to park there or not. He has a handicap permit so i assume he thought it was ok to park there. my question is there any argument he can make to fight off this ticket completely?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
shoei wrote: so my dad parked on No standing zone and got a ticket due to his lack of english and not understanding if he was able to park there or not. He has a handicap permit so i assume he thought it was ok to park there. my question is there any argument he can make to fight off this ticket completely?
a handicap permit does not mean you can park anywhere. it means you can park in the handicap spots
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
Fight4urRights wrote: I got a parking ticket at Humber College yesterday, for not playing and displaying. I'm fine with paying it because, I know I didn't pay for parking. Except the security guard that filled out my ticket spelt "Wolks Wagon" instead of Volks Wagon. Does this mean it can be cancelled and I don't have to pay? :)
no. it's not a fatal error
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
LadyDee wrote: Hi, I'm new here, so I apologize if this has been addressed already. I am not a resident of Ontario, but I am currently in Toronto and I come here often. I have received 3 parking tickets in the past two years, the third being issued at 4am this morning for parking within 3 meters of a fire hydrant. I didn't realize I wasn't parked far enough away, since it's a space everyone on the block parks and in which I have never before been ticketed, but it is what it is. I have US plates, so I understand that I do not have to worry about them right now because of the lack of reciprocal agreements and such, but I'm wondering if the tickets will come back to haunt me if I were to import my car and attempt to register it in Ontario. Will I be presented with a bill full of fines and fees when I go to get plates?
I doubt but I would call mto and ask them. sounds stupid to ask but maybe they will tell you
if you find a nice PEO, they also could tell you. I do not think they keep those tickets for non residents in their system (what for if they do not share it anyway?) but it's just my guess
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
@danlin
the question is not if you can prove you were using the park but if the officer can prove you were not using the park. did you spend 100% of the time while you were parked in the park?
his words will be enough to convict you
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2007
3181 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: a handicap permit does not mean you can park anywhere. it means you can park in the handicap spots
i understand that but is there anything he can say to get this ticket waived?
Newbie
Oct 23, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO
vero95 wrote: I doubt but I would call mto and ask them. sounds stupid to ask but maybe they will tell you
if you find a nice PEO, they also could tell you. I do not think they keep those tickets for non residents in their system (what for if they do not share it anyway?) but it's just my guess
Thank You. I wont worry about it too much, but I'll think about calling MTO when the time comes to decide whether to import :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5186 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
is there anything that can be done for tickets that are outstanding? can you ask to settle on a lower fine?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: is there anything that can be done for tickets that are outstanding? can you ask to settle on a lower fine?
You will need to reopen them. Check the website how to reopen tickets where you live
Member
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
sergiok wrote: Can a parking ticket be given to a car with hidden/no license plates?
Mississauga & Brampton will tag the car of the vin # is vissible and only part of the vin have to be visible for tag to be valid- i think its 16 characters or something. Toronto on the other wont tag it car got no plates. But if vin was obstructed & the officer really wants to he will contact police and tow truck driver will open the car in front of officer to have vin visible and than they will tow the car- but you really have to piss them off for them to do that to you bc its very time consuming and cops will take their sweet time to come out to do it.
Now if you car just happen to be left open some how all the officer will do and remove what ever is obstructing the vin and tow the car which is the easier way.
Member
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
GemInite wrote: I got a parking ticket but it was one of those old city of toronto tickets where they have to manually write everything out. I thought City of Toronto had all gone to those auto print machines? Can someone verify that old manual tickets are still in circulation.
yes they are. They are primary used by private security companies and police since cops dont car digital machines for parking. Parking enforcement are the only ones that cary electronic machines but if the machine breaks down they will resort to manual tags
Newbie
Jul 22, 2012
7 posts
RICHMOND HILL
Hi there,

I received a parking ticket last thursday night on November 1st. It's a $60.00 fine with the offence of "stand vehicle - signed highway - transit stop zone" (code no.192). I didn't see a sign regarding this but there could have been one. I had just left a social event with some friends and wasn't able to take any pictures. I'm really upset because I had paid for the parking with my ticket on the dash having more than enough time left...I ALWAYS pay for my tickets, which is what really upsets me...I mean, if I was parking in an illegal zone why the hell would I bother to pay the time for a ticket anyways right? There were cars parked near where I was as well. What is the best thing I should do in this situation? I took a look at the site below, and it tells me the first step is to ignore the ticket entirely and let them send me a notice in the mail...is this correct? Thank you for your help...

http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parking.php

Sincerely,
Mr. B
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
benrey15 wrote: Hi there,

I received a parking ticket last thursday night on November 1st. It's a $60.00 fine with the offence of "stand vehicle - signed highway - transit stop zone" (code no.192). I didn't see a sign regarding this but there could have been one. I had just left a social event with some friends and wasn't able to take any pictures. I'm really upset because I had paid for the parking with my ticket on the dash having more than enough time left...I ALWAYS pay for my tickets, which is what really upsets me...I mean, if I was parking in an illegal zone why the hell would I bother to pay the time for a ticket anyways right? There were cars parked near where I was as well. What is the best thing I should do in this situation? I took a look at the site below, and it tells me the first step is to ignore the ticket entirely and let them send me a notice in the mail...is this correct? Thank you for your help...

http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parking.php

Sincerely,
Mr. B
paying for parking does not mean you can park anywhere you want. if you parked in no standing zone, the ticket is legit
Newbie
Jul 22, 2012
7 posts
RICHMOND HILL
^ Agreed. I just wish the sign was more visible bc I don't remember there being one. Is there anything I can do to at least lower the fine?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
benrey15 wrote: ^ Agreed. I just wish the sign was more visible bc I don't remember there being one. Is there anything I can do to at least lower the fine?
sure. you can contest the ticket and then you can get a plea bargain, ie they usually offer lower fine if you plead guilty
I know it s*cks that you paid and still got a ticket.
parking violations are strict liability offences. you can use a due diligence defence as described here if it applies in your case:
For example a reasonable and prudent person would have checked the street for signage whether parking was permitted on the street. You can argue that you did this but did not see the sign. You would never park illegally. Perhaps the sign was covered by a tree branch or blocked by a large truck. Perhaps other cars were parked on the street so you though it was safe to do so in the absence of any other visible signage.

This is a due diligence defence. You took steps that a reasonable and prudent person would do to park legally on the street. You did not park out of convenience or because you could not be bothered driving around the block. You parked there because you thought you could park there. You are not arguing that you did not see the sign. You are arguing that you are morally innocent because you did not see the sign.
http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/strict.php

the good thing about parking tickets is they do not impact your insurance rate
Newbie
Mar 8, 2012
5 posts
NEWMARKET
I just got a ticket from "Provincial parking enforcement corporation" this morning, but no official's name, signature and ID on the ticket, besides it's altered by correction fluid on the blank of signature and ID.

Is this a prank or a real ticket? Is it valid if it is a ticket?

Top