Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3551 posts
248 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
EPcjay wrote: Though the ends of the street (before the loop) indicate no parking with both arrows < >, on both sides is there, you may be able to fight that the sign is too far. I'm not exactly sure how spaced out a sign should be but look it up and see if if that helps your case.
What I mean is no parking is good because then my ticket would be cancelled because on the parking consideration for the condo building, no parking is included in the parking consideration but if I was in a no standing zone then I wouldn't be able to have the ticket cancelled. The problem is the parking enforcement wrote the infraction of no standing even though there's not a sign in sight for no standing sign.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
368 upvotes
Got a ticket for parking within 3m of a fire hydrant. I was baffled by this until I saw that the building that I was parked in front of has a fire hydrant in its flower bed, several metres in from the curb, surrounded by flowers, with a tree's branches hanging in front of it, all of which was behind the line of garbage and recycling bins. Yes, you can see it from certain angles, but only if you're looking for it. There is also another fire hydrant less than a block away from this one, which lead me to think there was no reason to look for another. Also there is no paint on the curb to indicate anything out of the ordinary. I've seen cars parked here before and while I was taking pictures of the hydrant, someone walked by and said they had received a similar ticket over a year ago and had fought it in court, getting it reduced from $100 to something else.

My question is whether this is something that I can hope to win in court and, if so, what kinds of evidence do I need to provide?
Thanks!!!

edit: the hydrant is between 5 and 6 metres recessed back from the curb
Member
May 26, 2006
339 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi RFDers I got a ticket last night for parking at the curb outside my own home for $30. It is a residential crescent in Mississauga. The infraction is 555-00 section 7-10. The ticket was issued at 4:28 am. I understand this is only triggered by a complaint? Is there anything I can do besides challenge it in court?
Newbie
Jun 26, 2008
32 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, On
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tsTw ... 212540.jpg[/IMG]

He probably wanted to give a ticket for parking more then 2 hours, but we were not there for more then 2 hours.

So he gave me a ticket for "park signed highway during prohibited" but my car was only about 2 feet past the poll.

2 questions:

1. Would the photo count as evidence in court, enough for an acquittal?

2. I have evidence that I was there for less then 2 hours, is that even relevant and worth mentioning?
Newbie
Oct 15, 2006
21 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Received 2 parking tickets in the mail. One for a car we own, and another for a car that we've never even heard about. Can that be used as leverage to say the whole thing is a mistake?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8762 posts
2393 upvotes
Liquid5n0w wrote: He probably wanted to give a ticket for parking more then 2 hours, but we were not there for more then 2 hours.

So he gave me a ticket for "park signed highway during prohibited" but my car was only about 2 feet past the poll.

2 questions:

1. Would the photo count as evidence in court, enough for an acquittal?

2. I have evidence that I was there for less then 2 hours, is that even relevant and worth mentioning?

"Parked signed highway during prohibited" mean you parked in a no parking zone. Because your butt was sticking out by 6 inches past the pole (hard to tell exactly how much), the ticket is still valid.
JL wrote: Received 2 parking tickets in the mail. One for a car we own, and another for a car that we've never even heard about. Can that be used as leverage to say the whole thing is a mistake?
Not quite sure how thats possible? They mail the tickets based on your address on file with MTO by plate number. If you can prove that you were not there on the offence date, the make, the model, and the expiry are different then the second ticket will be dropped.
Newbie
Oct 15, 2006
21 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
EPcjay wrote: "Parked signed highway during prohibited" mean you parked in a no parking zone. Because your butt was sticking out by 6 inches past the pole (hard to tell exactly how much), the ticket is still valid.



Not quite sure how thats possible? They mail the tickets based on your address on file with MTO by plate number. If you can prove that you were not there on the offence date, the make, the model, and the expiry are different then the second ticket will be dropped.
I think it was simply human error. It's not our plate number.
Newbie
Jun 26, 2008
32 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, On
EPcjay wrote: "Parked signed highway during prohibited" mean you parked in a no parking zone. Because your butt was sticking out by 6 inches past the pole (hard to tell exactly how much), the ticket is still valid.
Earlier in this thread it says the rule is you need to have 1/3 of the vehicle in the no parking zone for it to apply. Or is that only for timed parking zones that have the leeway?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2005
3235 posts
368 upvotes
scottyboy2k5 wrote: Got a ticket for parking within 3m of a fire hydrant. I was baffled by this until I saw that the building that I was parked in front of has a fire hydrant in its flower bed, several metres in from the curb, surrounded by flowers, with a tree's branches hanging in front of it, all of which was behind the line of garbage and recycling bins. Yes, you can see it from certain angles, but only if you're looking for it. There is also another fire hydrant less than a block away from this one, which lead me to think there was no reason to look for another. Also there is no paint on the curb to indicate anything out of the ordinary. I've seen cars parked here before and while I was taking pictures of the hydrant, someone walked by and said they had received a similar ticket over a year ago and had fought it in court, getting it reduced from $100 to something else.

My question is whether this is something that I can hope to win in court and, if so, what kinds of evidence do I need to provide?
Thanks!!!

edit: the hydrant is between 5 and 6 metres recessed back from the curb
here's a pic with the hydrant circled for clarity.
[IMG]http://seeclickfix.com/files/issue_imag ... ydrant.JPG[/IMG]
Newbie
Aug 14, 2008
35 posts
3 upvotes
[quote="EPcjay" post_id="17055882" time="1372815494" user_id="193749"]RFD dima14riga appears to have gotten off with wrong information on the face of the ticket. Read his posts a few posts above. I've personally never been able to get a ticket dropped because of wrong information.

Thanks for your reply. I managed to get off a couple parking tickets before due to incorrect information (wrong make of the vehicle) back then. I just received the "Notice of IMPENDING Conviction" by mail. I will go to request a trial on the last day and give you guys an update later.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8762 posts
2393 upvotes
Liquid5n0w wrote: Earlier in this thread it says the rule is you need to have 1/3 of the vehicle in the no parking zone for it to apply. Or is that only for timed parking zones that have the leeway?
I believe it's just a courtesy rather than a rule. If its a rule, it has to be documented. I can't find anything like that written. Can you?
Newbie
May 20, 2006
22 posts
1 upvote
Does anybody have any links to where I can find the details on the guidelines/requirements on how parking signs are located? Got a ticket for parking on the street where a permit is required, look at the usual post and see 9AM-5PM as paid parking but there were no other signs on that same post indicating that from 5PM-9AM is for permits only (signage was on another post which was on the other side of the sidewalk and about 5-8 feet down the road). This is in Toronto.
Newbie
Apr 14, 2008
10 posts
hey,i got a city yellow ticket last night, when i parked my car in the condo's underground,but forgot to sign in as a vistor, so i got the ticket(hand written), code.No.3/the fine is $30. however when i try to pay the ticket online this morning, the systeam said:Parking ticket numberXXXXXX is not registered in our system at this time.
so what should i do, why i cant pay online? do i have to wait the systeam another week something? or i can pay by phone? can i ignored the ticket?
thank you!
Member
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
muyy1 wrote: hey,i got a city yellow ticket last night, when i parked my car in the condo's underground,but forgot to sign in as a vistor, so i got the ticket, the fine is $30. however when i try to pay the ticket online this morning, the systeam said:Parking ticket numberXXXXXX is not registered in our system at this time.
so what should i do, why i cant pay online? do i have to wait another week something? or i can pay by phone? can i ignored the ticket?
thank you!
The officer got 2days to submit the tickets written for the night & than it could take another 1-5days for ticket to be entered into the system.
Plus officer will not submit anything untill his shift is done.
If its a printed ticket it will be in system alot faster than handwritten 1.
Hope it helps
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
87 upvotes
I got a ticket on Saturday, paid for street parking for an hour on bloor was there about 90 mins instead. Ticket is for 30 bucks, was going to pay it. Someone at work told me to use "parking ticket guys" as they charge 15 bucks win or lose and everything is done online. Worth going that route or spend the extra 15 and just pay city?
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2012
639 posts
148 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
ddp wrote: I got a ticket on Saturday, paid for street parking for an hour on bloor was there about 90 mins instead. Ticket is for 30 bucks, was going to pay it. Someone at work told me to use "parking ticket guys" as they charge 15 bucks win or lose and everything is done online. Worth going that route or spend the extra 15 and just pay city?
It is not worth it over a $30 ticket. Just wait for the letter to come and pay online $31.50 or mail a cheque.
If you pay the "guys", they will lose (if they ever appear in court on your behalf) and you will end up paying the fine (possibly reduced to $10-15) anyway. If they guys mishandle your case by accident, you will have to pay extra fees to renew your license plate.
Newbie
May 21, 2013
14 posts
Hi, I got a $105 ticket at a public parking lot in High Park, Toronto. I actually ran out of fuel, circling the lot looking for a spot - (damn needle on the fuel gauge!). Anyway, I parked temporarily outside the solid yellow line (where the truck is parked in the attached google screenshot). I called CAA, they gave me a wait time of 60min., so I went in to the restaurant and sat down for lunch. When I came out to meet the CAA guy for fuel delivery, the ticket was there. I am in the process of getting an official 'service statement' from CAA, as the driver couldn't provide one. What's my best course of action - should I explain this?

Any help is greatly appreciate. Thanks!

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/fn4o5u.jpg[/IMG]
Newbie
May 21, 2013
14 posts
zacko2013 wrote: I am in the process of getting an official 'service statement' from CAA, as the driver couldn't provide one. What's my best course of action - should I explain this?
From what I can tell, I may qualify for cancellation under 6.0 - Extenuating Circumstances of the cancellation guidelines. Should I see if the clerk will cancel this? Or set a trial? Plea Bargain?Guilty with an explanation?
Newbie
Jul 15, 2013
4 posts
I got my parking ticket in September 2012 and now is August 2013. It was a $30 ticket and I applied for my court date back in September and I am still awaiting the trial date. Is there a chance that the ticket got dismissed? If so do they send me a letter stating my ticket was dismissed or do they even notify me at all?

Top