Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2003
622 posts
149 upvotes
Got a ticket for parking too close to a hydrant. I was told to go in to setup a court date (by a friend that gets a lot of tickets), and hope that they just throw the ticket out, but if they setup the court date, then just pay the ticket (to avoid the hassle). Does this really work? Is there actually a chance they will dismiss it, if I go in to setup a court date?
Member
Dec 11, 2009
256 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
Got a ticket for being in the "No Standing" area. Am I too far back from being under the pay parking sign? Can I fight this?
Image
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7897 posts
1569 upvotes
LE-37 wrote: Got a ticket for being in the "No Standing" area. Am I too far back from being under the pay parking sign? Can I fight this?
Image
Your behind the poll. Go to court, get it lowered.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7897 posts
1569 upvotes
Nolan wrote: Got a ticket for parking too close to a hydrant. I was told to go in to setup a court date (by a friend that gets a lot of tickets), and hope that they just throw the ticket out, but if they setup the court date, then just pay the ticket (to avoid the hassle). Does this really work? Is there actually a chance they will dismiss it, if I go in to setup a court date?
It's a chance for sure.

Yes you can pay it if you get cold feet before your court date.
Newbie
Dec 29, 2013
10 posts
Toronto
I parked on 12 Mowat Ave(across from construction site) since there was no parking sign whatsoever on the entire street. There were about 5 cars parked including mine which all got ticketed by 2:30 PM. Ticket is $40 'PARK - SIGNED HIGHWAY - DURING PROHIBITED (DAY/TIME) but there was no parking sign whatsoever - does this make sense?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6352398, ... !8i6656?hl

(FYI everybody parked on the actual road next to the curb unlike what you see on the google street view)

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
jasonbk wrote: I parked on 12 Mowat Ave(across from construction site) since there was no parking sign whatsoever on the entire street. There were about 5 cars parked including mine which all got ticketed by 2:30 PM. Ticket is $40 'PARK - SIGNED HIGHWAY - DURING PROHIBITED (DAY/TIME) but there was no parking sign whatsoever - does this make sense?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6352398, ... !8i6656?hl

(FYI everybody parked on the actual road next to the curb unlike what you see on the google street view)

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Did you park there for more than 3 hours?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
gbhuwana wrote: how they measure time of vehicle parked
They will normally mark one of your tires with chalk. They will then come back past the legal limit that you're allowed to park. If the chalk is still in the original spot...
Newbie
Nov 18, 2011
17 posts
Brampton
Thx... any other ways they can do it. If I move the car erase the marks do you think they can still find out
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
gbhuwana wrote: Thx... any other ways they can do it. If I move the car erase the marks do you think they can still find out
You actually have to physically move the car to another location - 5/10 meters away isn't going to cut it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7897 posts
1569 upvotes
jasonbk wrote: I parked on 12 Mowat Ave(across from construction site) since there was no parking sign whatsoever on the entire street. There were about 5 cars parked including mine which all got ticketed by 2:30 PM. Ticket is $40 'PARK - SIGNED HIGHWAY - DURING PROHIBITED (DAY/TIME) but there was no parking sign whatsoever - does this make sense?
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6352398, ... !8i6656?hl

(FYI everybody parked on the actual road next to the curb unlike what you see on the google street view)

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
I'd take some pictures and pled your case. The closest no parking sign is like 30m away.
Newbie
Sep 1, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone, I'm new here and could really use some help.

Today, I received a $150 rush-hour fine (Code#403). I want to fight this but I am a recent graduate student (looking for work) and new to the country, so not quite sure about the process or my chances.

Here's what happened:
a. I was 'parked' or pulled over (engine running) for less than 1 minute (on Bloor St E to put GPS directions on my phone)
b. I did not get out of the car

Additional info:
a. I rented a car for 2 hours to drop my brother off at the airport. (Rental cost = $40 ~ 4x the cost of the ticket.)
b. $150 for me = 1 month's grocery
c. $150 for me = 15 days of rent
d. I got my G license last year and have a clean record here. And I would like to buy a car someday so worried about insurance repurcussions.

My questions:
1. Should I fight this? Is it worth it?
2. What are my chances, given my personal situation and circumstances of the ticket?

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7897 posts
1569 upvotes
WhosTBG wrote: Hi everyone, I'm new here and could really use some help.

Today, I received a $150 rush-hour fine (Code#403). I want to fight this but I am a recent graduate student (looking for work) and new to the country, so not quite sure about the process or my chances.

Here's what happened:
a. I was 'parked' or pulled over (engine running) for less than 1 minute (on Bloor St E to put GPS directions on my phone)
b. I did not get out of the car

Additional info:
a. I rented a car for 2 hours to drop my brother off at the airport. (Rental cost = $40 ~ 4x the cost of the ticket.)
b. $150 for me = 1 month's grocery
c. $150 for me = 15 days of rent
d. I got my G license last year and have a clean record here. And I would like to buy a car someday so worried about insurance repurcussions.

My questions:
1. Should I fight this? Is it worth it?
2. What are my chances, given my personal situation and circumstances of the ticket?

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated.
Rental company will not let renters fight parking tickets. It's stated in the contract somewhere.

You should have drive off as soon as you saw him writing.

Parking tickets have no implications on car insurance.
Member
User avatar
Feb 11, 2012
268 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: Rental company will not let renters fight parking tickets. It's stated in the contract somewhere.

You should have drive off as soon as you saw him writing.

Parking tickets have no implications on car insurance.
NOT TRUE! Yes you can fight a car rental parking ticket. Every major rental car company has a department just for parking and traffic tickets usually called "Citations" (where they will WRITE YOU A LETTER ON THEIR LETTERHEAD addressed to the City of Toronto - Parking a Tag Operatiions specifically listing the infraction number) ALLOWING you to fight the parking ticket. You'll need to contact them as soon as possible so that they don't pay the "Notice of Impending Conviction." Otherwise you'll be paying more in administration fees.

We get these letters many times and have first hand experience with all the major rental car companies. Again on this forum legal advice is given by people not knowing the facts and guessing answers. Like giving directions to someone lost. If you don't know the answer, say that you don't know.

Driving off may not have been a safe move, and our visitor didn't know about the officer having to place the ticket underneath the windshield wiper of the car or handing the ticket to him personally.

Yes. Parking tickets have no implications on your car insurance.
Member
User avatar
Feb 11, 2012
268 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: It's a chance for sure.

Yes you can pay it if you get cold feet before your court date.
They don't just "throw out" parking tickets.

NOBODY here is talking about FIXED FINES! So be warned that you may not get a reduction in the fine if you attend court as they had offered in the past for a guilty plea.

The hassle of having to first file the "Notice of Intention to Appear" in person at one of four city parking tag offices. Then appearing again at a later date in court on a working week day.

Unless the officer doesn't show or has no evidence for trial you'll be paying the FIXED FINE on the ticket. Only benefit is that you can ask for more time to pay.
Newbie
Sep 2, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi, Last night at 12:11 AM I got a parking ticket at Bluffer's park. It was for $100 and the infraction read:

PARK VEHICLE IN PARK (NOT IN DEISGNATED SPACE/CONTRARY TO POSTED CONDITIONS)

After doing some reading online it may be because I parked in a spot designated for cars towing boats?
It was after 11pm when I arrived and there didn't appear to be any obvious signs, and the parking lot was mostly empty anyway.
$100 is nuts, what are the odds of getting this dismissed or reduced significantly?

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 15, 2005
3375 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone here attempted to dispute a parking ticket by fax or email? How was the process, turn-around time and resolution (if there was any)?

Here are the steps listed on the City of Toronto's website:
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte ... d60f89RCRD

1. Download a copy of the Dispute Application Form
2. Complete the form and include any relevant information or supporting documentation to support your claim.
3. Submit the form and the proof by email at parkingdisputes@toronto.ca or by fax at 416-696-4194.
4. After we receive the fax/email/mail, we will conduct the investigation and advise the sender/registered owner of the results of the investigation either by mail/phone or email.


Also are there any companies I can simply pay a portion of the ticket value towards and have them get it thrown out?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 29, 2005
2410 posts
140 upvotes
Brampton
@kingrukus Have you received a reply yet? I got a ticket and they recorded the make incorrectly. Can anyone confirm if I can dispute it through email, or if I have to appear in person at a Parking Tag Operations.
Newbie
Sep 10, 2015
3 posts
Hi work as pizza delivery driver and I Parker outside the building just to deliver pizza.. Since there was no visitor parking available I decided to park my car in front of the building as I went for delivery and when I came back I saw a parking ticket for $250 :( yes $250! Now how we can go about tht? If there's no visitor parking we still have to park somewhere and we can't park on tenants parking spot! I work for pizza delivery as a part time 2/3 days a week I don't even make $250 in 2 weeks! And it just took me 5 mins and also I had a pizza delivery sign on my dashboard too bad I forgot to take the picture but I have the receipt for the delivery which exactly says how long it took me to get back. Now what do u suggest what should do as there's no way tht I can afford to pay $250! Please help

Top