Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Nov 29, 2017
2 posts
Yes its in Toronto. does it matter if I was using someone else's car? and thanks!
Dec 1, 2017
3 posts
Hi sorry if this has come up in earlier thread i looked but there are a lot of posts.

I live in an area where there isnt permit parking available and all street parking is unsigned 3 hour - which in earlier posts u say is only enforced on complaint. Im having an issue where me and my neighbours who have 2 cars but only space for one car in the driveway are getting $15 tickets every other night and its starting to add up. I thought it had to do with the sidewalk replacement that was happening here but theyve been fixed and the ticketing is still happening.

Is there anyway to find out what the complaint is? I feel like its only my block that is being targeted - i drive around the neighbourhood and no one else is being ticketed. I dont have any options, there arent any parking lots close and i need to be close as i have a family and kids to get to school etc.

How long is a complaint allowed to be in force? Is someone actually calling every day and complaining? Can it be so targeted?

Do the parking enforcers have to chalk the tires? I have a camera on the side of my house and at the times stated on the ticket as the "start time" i dont see anyone in the camera or some times i will see the enforcer drive by, slow down, but doesnt mark the tires. And then i get a ticket. Normally when i see him drive by ill move the car but i havent seen them and then gotten a ticket.

I live here, the plates on my car are registere to the address im parked by - do they not check that type of thing?

Ive contacted my councillor and they say tjere isnt much they can do aside from starting a petition to have the area permitted. I would be fine with that but since its only my block being affected im not sure wed get the votes considering everyone else in the hood is parking on the street for free.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.
Dec 4, 2017
2 posts
Hi sorry if this appears earlier in thread, my thread-searching skills haven't helped me find an answer to this.

Just got a ticket today: Stopped - Signed Highway - During Rush Hour Period - (950-405d.1). I got the ticket fair and square - time stamped 4:05pm. I have a parking stub for that location that has been paid up to 4pm (which was the cut-off time). My doctor's appointment ran a little late and I got there at 4:07, just as the tow truck was about to hoist my car :) They let it back down (mercifully), Parking Authority Officer handed me the ticket, explained it and said have a nice day. Everyone was nice and professional in the encounter - including me.

Looking up my options right now and I see that there is a provision to have a parking ticket cancelled if it is given within 10 minutes of the parking stub expiry time (10 minute grace period).

MY QUESTIONS:

#1. Does that 10 minute grace period still apply to Toronto's Municipal Code CH 950-405d.1? I've read the code and I'm not seeing anything that would exclude it from that 10 minute grace period. However, given the spirit of that code - to clear the streets up for rush hour traffic - I worry that the 10 minute grace period is not extended to this parking infraction.

#2. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks all for any help :)

Here is that particular part of the code I was ticketed for:
§ 950-405. Stopping, standing and parking restrictions and prohibitions on certain highways.
D.1 No stopping during rush hour times. [Added 2012-02-07 by By-law 165-2012; amended 2012-07-13 by By-law 1021-2012; 2014-02-20 by By-law 141-2014]
Notwithstanding § 950-405D, where official signs prohibiting stopping are displayed, no person shall stop a vehicle on any highway at the side and between the limits set out respectively in Schedule XIV in § 950-1313 during the portion of the rush hour period set out under Column four (Prohibited Times and/or Days) in Schedule XIV, where the hours as set out under Column four (Prohibited Times and/or Days) in Schedule XIV begin, end and are contained entirely within the time period of 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and/or the time period of 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. of the rush hour period, provided that this subsection shall not be deemed to prohibit a taxicab from stopping while actually engaged in loading or unloading passengers on any highway, a limousine from stopping while actually engaged in loading or unloading passengers on any highway, or to prohibit a school bus from stopping while actively engaged in picking up or dropping off school children in a designated school bus loading zone.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
badluck777 wrote: Yes its in Toronto. does it matter if I was using someone else's car? and thanks!
In the past, you were required to have the owner's information (i.E owner of name, and address). I am not so sure now.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Batesdm wrote: Hi sorry if this has come up in earlier thread i looked but there are a lot of posts.

I live in an area where there isnt permit parking available and all street parking is unsigned 3 hour - which in earlier posts u say is only enforced on complaint. Im having an issue where me and my neighbours who have 2 cars but only space for one car in the driveway are getting $15 tickets every other night and its starting to add up. I thought it had to do with the sidewalk replacement that was happening here but theyve been fixed and the ticketing is still happening.

Is there anyway to find out what the complaint is? I feel like its only my block that is being targeted - i drive around the neighbourhood and no one else is being ticketed. I dont have any options, there arent any parking lots close and i need to be close as i have a family and kids to get to school etc.

How long is a complaint allowed to be in force? Is someone actually calling every day and complaining? Can it be so targeted?

Do the parking enforcers have to chalk the tires? I have a camera on the side of my house and at the times stated on the ticket as the "start time" i dont see anyone in the camera or some times i will see the enforcer drive by, slow down, but doesnt mark the tires. And then i get a ticket. Normally when i see him drive by ill move the car but i havent seen them and then gotten a ticket.

I live here, the plates on my car are registere to the address im parked by - do they not check that type of thing?

Ive contacted my councillor and they say tjere isnt much they can do aside from starting a petition to have the area permitted. I would be fine with that but since its only my block being affected im not sure wed get the votes considering everyone else in the hood is parking on the street for free.

Certain areas are prone to "abuse", especially downtown so it eventually gets added to the list of regular enforcement. There's not much you can do about that. The 3 hour rule is there to ensure everyone gets a chance to park for whatever reason they have. What street is this that doesn't have permit parking?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Smythers00 wrote: Hi sorry if this appears earlier in thread, my thread-searching skills haven't helped me find an answer to this.

Just got a ticket today: Stopped - Signed Highway - During Rush Hour Period - (950-405d.1). I got the ticket fair and square - time stamped 4:05pm. I have a parking stub for that location that has been paid up to 4pm (which was the cut-off time). My doctor's appointment ran a little late and I got there at 4:07, just as the tow truck was about to hoist my car :) They let it back down (mercifully), Parking Authority Officer handed me the ticket, explained it and said have a nice day. Everyone was nice and professional in the encounter - including me.

Looking up my options right now and I see that there is a provision to have a parking ticket cancelled if it is given within 10 minutes of the parking stub expiry time (10 minute grace period).

MY QUESTIONS:

#1. Does that 10 minute grace period still apply to Toronto's Municipal Code CH 950-405d.1? I've read the code and I'm not seeing anything that would exclude it from that 10 minute grace period. However, given the spirit of that code - to clear the streets up for rush hour traffic - I worry that the 10 minute grace period is not extended to this parking infraction.

#2. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks all for any help :)

Here is that particular part of the code I was ticketed for:
10 minute grace period only applies if the section you are in continues to have pay parking. (i.E Parking is allowed from 12pm to 9pm, and I paid from 12pm to 1pm. Paid parking is still allowed after 1pm)

Go visit the parking office and plead your case though I haven't seen anyone getting it reduced.
Dec 4, 2017
2 posts
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: 10 minute grace period only applies if the section you are in continues to have pay parking. (i.E Parking is allowed from 12pm to 9pm, and I paid from 12pm to 1pm. Paid parking is still allowed after 1pm)
Thanks AzNCrAzYcOoLeR :) That wasn't clear to me from reading the code, but my spidey senses were telling me something like that was the case.

The officer who handed me the ticket advised me to go online and tell them that my doctor's appointment was running late and they may reduce the fine... which would be great if I can't get it cancelled altogether. I was thinking of mentioning (truthfully) the following:

- My Doctor's appointment ran a touch late, despite my best efforts to be out of the area on time. My car was tagged at 4:05, I arrived at 4:07. Parking ended at 4pm. (This is essentially what the enforcement officer suggested I do, although he didn't give me legal advice, but just mention that the appointment ran late).
- Despite many years of driving and living in the area, I've had very few parking infractions, public or private. Those I've had, I did not dispute and paid my fines promptly.
- The interaction with the enforcement officer and tow truck personnel at the time of ticketing was polite, professional and entirely non-confrontational on all sides. I did not complain, protest or try to talk my way out of the ticket or tow.
- We're a low income family with a 2 year old special needs child (who was with me in a stroller at the time).
- If i cannot have the ticket cancelled, I can pay it immediately. But I would ask for any kind of leniency, given the above circumstances - if possible, as the fine presents a financial hardship. In any event, I am now much more careful about my street parking practices during rush hours.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether those kinds of statements (again, they are true statements) would help the screening officer reduce the fine?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Batesdm wrote: Hi sorry if this has come up in earlier thread i looked but there are a lot of posts.

Do you not have any off-street parking either? What about parking on one of the other streets that apparently are magically protected from parking tickets?

C
Dec 1, 2017
3 posts
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: Certain areas are prone to "abuse", especially downtown so it eventually gets added to the list of regular enforcement. There's not much you can do about that. The 3 hour rule is there to ensure everyone gets a chance to park for whatever reason they have. What street is this that doesn't have permit parking?
I certainly understand the abuse issue, but i assure you, this is an area where on street spaces are not in short supply, especially on the flank of a corner lot (such as this case) there is space for I would say 6-8 cars in this section and there are ALWAYS at least 3-4 spaces available.
The particular street in question is Bruton Road - the whole neighbourhood is a non-permit area, i know its rare...
Dec 1, 2017
3 posts
CNeufeld wrote: Do you not have any off-street parking either? What about parking on one of the other streets that apparently are magically protected from parking tickets?

C
There isnt much off street parking available, most houses have a single lane driveway and have a car in it, so renting a spot anywhere close isnt really an option - yes, parking on one of the other streets is an option and Ive had to resort to that...
But, with a young family and getting kids out the door in the morning especially when its cold....its just a pain....I mean, if street parking was an issue and people couldnt find places to park, then fine I get it, but there are more than enough spaces available.
ticketing on this particular street is actually forcing people to park on a much busier throughfare....where there are still plenty of available spaces....but in between driveways...it just doesnt make sense.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Smythers00 wrote: Thanks AzNCrAzYcOoLeR :) That wasn't clear to me from reading the code, but my spidey senses were telling me something like that was the case.

The officer who handed me the ticket advised me to go online and tell them that my doctor's appointment was running late and they may reduce the fine... which would be great if I can't get it cancelled altogether. I was thinking of mentioning (truthfully) the following:

- My Doctor's appointment ran a touch late, despite my best efforts to be out of the area on time. My car was tagged at 4:05, I arrived at 4:07. Parking ended at 4pm. (This is essentially what the enforcement officer suggested I do, although he didn't give me legal advice, but just mention that the appointment ran late).
- Despite many years of driving and living in the area, I've had very few parking infractions, public or private. Those I've had, I did not dispute and paid my fines promptly.
- The interaction with the enforcement officer and tow truck personnel at the time of ticketing was polite, professional and entirely non-confrontational on all sides. I did not complain, protest or try to talk my way out of the ticket or tow.
- We're a low income family with a 2 year old special needs child (who was with me in a stroller at the time).
- If i cannot have the ticket cancelled, I can pay it immediately. But I would ask for any kind of leniency, given the above circumstances - if possible, as the fine presents a financial hardship. In any event, I am now much more careful about my street parking practices during rush hours.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether those kinds of statements (again, they are true statements) would help the screening officer reduce the fine?
The mayor being tough on cars parked during rush hour, i am not sure. YMMV. Doesn't hurt to try.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
How long does the city have to respond to an online dispute generally? And does this affect the validity of the ticket? (i.e if they don't respond in X days, you can argue for dismissal?) I have a ticket that's going on for almost a month stuck in "dispute scheduled" when I check it online. It's a bit unnerving to have unpaid tickets (even if suspended while in dispute) so just wanna set some reminders for myself if there are any cut off dates for this process.
Dec 6, 2009
151 posts
40 upvotes
Just thought I would share this story which happened to me some years ago. I decided to pay the fine but in hindsight should have sought a reduction or cancellation pre-trial.

I parked on Pearl Street just west of Simcoe in a legal spot during a legal time. The parking machine next to that spot wouldn’t accept my credit card as it was malfunctioning and I didn’t have any cash. Being a good Toronto citizen I went to the closest machine which was immediately around the corner on Simcoe (and made sure that the same hours and same parking rate were consistent) to obtain my receipt which I placed in a highly visible location on the dash.

I come back well within the time allowed on the receipt and the legal time to park. A ticket greets me which indicated I failed to display proper permit (sorry, forgot wording and cited section). I see a parking enforcement car ahead so I walk up to the pair of officers and asked whether they issued the ticket. One replied he did. I explained the situation and asked for it to be cancelled but they said it didn’t matter. Remaining cordial, I asked if the officers were allowed to excercise discretion and common sense. They replied they could not. So I left and as I said I decided to pay the fine rather than go through the process.

Did I commit a parking violation? Perhaps technically I did. Should I have beared the full brunt of the punishment? Even though I accepted it at the time it seems heavy handed given the circumstances (and yes I would have been able to prove that I bought the receipt and not that it was transferred to me by someone else - a fact I mentioned to the officers as well).

Parking Enforcement officers have a necessary and thankless job to do ... but it is no wonder to me why so much negativity and cynicism exists between the Parking Enforcement system and the general public due to stories such as mine and some others in this thread.
Mar 15, 2009
386 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
ParkingTicketGuys wrote: Sleep well. Don't worry, they can't YET issue the ticket if you drove off. In Calgary they issue tickets from roof mounted cameras on moving CPA cars that take a photo of your plate (just like a red light camera ticket) and mail it to you.
Is this still the case in Toronto?

I know there was talk of changes proposed to take place in 2016 where the city would be able to mail out tickets if someone drove off before they had a chance to put it on your windshield or physically hand you the ticket, but did those changes actually go through?

From what I see of Sec. 15(4) of Provincial Offences Act dated Nov. 2017 still says:

The issuing provincial offences officer may serve the parking infraction notice on the owner of the vehicle identified in the notice,

(a) by affixing it to the vehicle in a conspicuous place at the time of the alleged infraction; or
(b) by delivering it personally to the person having care and control of the vehicle at the time of the alleged infraction.

So even if there is some city policy that says they can mail out tickets instead wouldn't the POA override it?

A couple days ago I stopped in a "No Standing" zone to run into a Starbucks to pick up a mobile order which wasn't ready yet. I saw the Parking Officer behind my car while I was waiting so I ran out and moved it and came back. Someone who was standing outside when it happened came up to me when I got back and said he saw the officer put the printed ticket in his pocket and when he asked the officer about it he told him that I would still be getting the ticket in the mail and it didn't matter that I drove off before he gave it to me.

Is this true? were there any changes made about this? or just the ramblings of a sanctimonious parking officer?
Nov 26, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I had the charge withdrawn for an alleged "Park in a Fire Route" offense @ Eglinton Square. Of course I was not blocking the driveway, and the sign was on the other side of the driveway, however the parking enforcement officer said that anywhere there was no yellow lines was considered the "driveway" and the fire route sign, located on the opposite side of the driveway said No Parking on driveway - Fire Route.

So, I took the ticket to court as this occurred prior to the new City of Toronto process.

The Justice of the Peace stated that if I was parked contrary to a sign, I was guilty. I explained that I was ticketed for allegedly parking in a fire route, not "park contravene a fire route sign".

This sign indicated that the fire route was designated under a former Scarborough bylaw which was repealed, however it was grandfathered under the current Chapter 880, section 7 of the Toronto Municipal Code, which essentially states that the roadway at the address must have been designed as a fire route under a previous law AND that the address be listed in Schedule A of Chapter 880.

Guess what, "1 Eglinton Square", which was the address on my ticket, was and is NOT listed in Schedule A of Chapter 880.

My argument was that since the address identified on the parking infraction notice (ticket) was not listed in Schedule A of Chapter 880, it is not a valid / legal fire route, therefore I could not have committed the offence "park in a fire route" as the fire route did not meet the requirements of a valid fire route.

The prosecutor called the parking enforcement officer and they had a private conversation, after which the prosecutor withdrew the charge.

I do NOT condone parking in a driveway and blocking the fire route, however, where I was parked was not blocking any access for fire vehicles (actually parked directly behind a vehicle in a legitimate space). I personally believe that the officer was simply taking advantage of poor signage and looking to meet his quota. It is also my belief that the parking enforcement officer did/does not know the requirements of the bylaw he attempted to enforce.

I also believe that the signage installed by Eglinton Square was inadequate as there was no fire route signage posted on the building.

In closing, I am not a lawyer and cannot take responsibility for any convictions of those using the above argument, but offer this post as how I had my charge withdrawn.

Please don't park in fire routes where you are blocking access for emergency vehicles.
Jan 10, 2018
1 posts
Hello and thanks for the info. The question I have is that I received a notice of overdue parking Penalty for a vehicle I don't even own nor have ever driven and received the letter a month after the so called infraction. I live no where near Toronto and really don't want to have to go Toronto to dispute this and cannot dispute it online because a month has passed by. Is there anything else I can do. Oh and when I try to renew my sticker I can is it possible this is a fake?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
BrianF509163 wrote: Hello and thanks for the info. The question I have is that I received a notice of overdue parking Penalty for a vehicle I don't even own nor have ever driven and received the letter a month after the so called infraction. I live no where near Toronto and really don't want to have to go Toronto to dispute this and cannot dispute it online because a month has passed by. Is there anything else I can do. Oh and when I try to renew my sticker I can is it possible this is a fake?
You don't own what? It can occur that the PEO might have mistyped the licence plate of the offending car. Sadly, you are the victim. Try emailing them parkingdisputes@toronto.ca and see what happens. Good luck
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1114 posts
521 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have received a ticket for unauthorized parking in private property from the city 2 days ago. The spot belonged to a bank.

When I go to Toronto.ca/aps for payment and put in my DL number, it shows no outstanding ticket !

Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
kooroshkabir wrote: I have received a ticket for unauthorized parking in private property from the city 2 days ago. The spot belonged to a bank.

When I go to Toronto.ca/aps for payment and put in my DL number, it shows no outstanding ticket !

Any thoughts?
Was it a hand written ticket? Sometimes they can take 2-3 business days to process before they show up on the website.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1114 posts
521 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes. Handwritten. Nothing as of today in the system.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)