Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Jan 17, 2010
777 posts
283 upvotes
ok i got my first parking ticket since the City takes care of it now. Has anyone been successful in getting their tickets reduced beyond the the officer beyond the window. I liked the old system with the province where a judge and the lawyer reduce the amount up to 75%. While these screening officers just knock it down 33% .

I went to dispute the fine was high. There was a form stating hardship but he wanted personal info of income and expenses that would be public record. We never used to need that info for the Provincial courts. Anyone find that its harder to get the fines reduced?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
FigNewton wrote: ok i got my first parking ticket since the City takes care of it now. Has anyone been successful in getting their tickets reduced beyond the the officer beyond the window. I liked the old system with the province where a judge and the lawyer reduce the amount up to 75%. While these screening officers just knock it down 33% .

I went to dispute the fine was high. There was a form stating hardship but he wanted personal info of income and expenses that would be public record. We never used to need that info for the Provincial courts. Anyone find that its harder to get the fines reduced?
The reduction of fines in the provincial court has been stopped since early 2014 if I remember correctly because the City of Toronto passed a bylaw that if you were guilty, you MUST pay the fixed fine on the ticket.

So, the current process is somewhat if a relief compared to the last system in place.
Jan 17, 2010
777 posts
283 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: you MUST pay the fixed fine on the ticket.

So, the current process is somewhat if a relief compared to the last system in place.
hmm the screening officer knocked it down with no needed reason from my end. so not sure if we MUST pay the fixed fine.. unless you saying we must pay it if we dont attempt to fight it.

anyways i got a tribunal date set in march. Ill update then to see what happens
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
FigNewton wrote: hmm the screening officer knocked it down with no needed reason from my end. so not sure if we MUST pay the fixed fine.. unless you saying we must pay it if we dont attempt to fight it.

anyways i got a tribunal date set in march. Ill update then to see what happens
No, in reference to what you wrote. The last system in place was that you had to pay the fixed fine on the ticket if guilty even if you tried to get it lowered. This was because city council passed a bylaw to enforce this around 2014.

The current system is somewhat better now, but not as good as prior to 2014. A JP tried to fight the bylaw, however a judge ruled that it was ok for city council to pass and enforce such bylaw.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8121 posts
2075 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a parking ticket on Dec 23, 2017. Filed an online dispute with my statement within 15 days, current status on the web shows - "Screening Scheduled". I didn't get any emails about it. Anyone know what this means? Do I keep waiting for the email on what to do next? I feel like I may forget about this ticket(if the process takes so long) and then it'll be on my record during renewal time.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3149 upvotes
Markham
jeeva86 wrote: I got a parking ticket on Dec 23, 2017. Filed an online dispute with my statement within 15 days, current status on the web shows - "Screening Scheduled". I didn't get any emails about it. Anyone know what this means? Do I keep waiting for the email on what to do next? I feel like I may forget about this ticket(if the process takes so long) and then it'll be on my record during renewal time.
I've been waiting on mine since Nov 2017!

It'a a stupid system as far as I'm concerned so I've just put the ticket up on my notice board and continue to check the website every week to see what happens as I also never received any notification.

I asked earlier if anyone knew of a time limit for the city to respond but no one responded and I also can't find any online info.
Aug 16, 2016
39 posts
9 upvotes
I got a ticket for parking in a fire zone, $250. I was parked behind a line of taxis at a department store. It was a Sunday afternoon, and extremely busy and I went in for a few mins, maybe 10 at the most. There was snow on the ground and I really didn't know it was a fire zone, I didn't think to look down for yellow paint - there were no visible signs at eye level. Since there were already cars there, I thought I would pop in and use the washroom. I came out to find the other cars gone and mine with a shiny yellow ticket on the windshield.

Should I challenge the ticket or just pay and move on with my life. If I dispute/review, can I decide to pay later if the court date is too far into the future? I just want to reduce the amount, 250 is very steep. I already feel ashamed for making the mistake, I wouldn't knowingly park in a fire zone.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
LonelyIsland wrote: I got a ticket for parking in a fire zone, $250. I was parked behind a line of taxis at a department store. It was a Sunday afternoon, and extremely busy and I went in for a few mins, maybe 10 at the most. There was snow on the ground and I really didn't know it was a fire zone, I didn't think to look down for yellow paint - there were no visible signs at eye level. Since there were already cars there, I thought I would pop in and use the washroom. I came out to find the other cars gone and mine with a shiny yellow ticket on the windshield.

Should I challenge the ticket or just pay and move on with my life. If I dispute/review, can I decide to pay later if the court date is too far into the future? I just want to reduce the amount, 250 is very steep. I already feel ashamed for making the mistake, I wouldn't knowingly park in a fire zone.
Just go into the parking office, and they'll reduce it by 30% on the spot. Good luck
May 14, 2016
43 posts
47 upvotes
Ticketed on November 22, 2017
Got an email with the pdf of Notice of Screening Decision today (penalty cancelled, $0 due, yay)

Looks like 3 month turnaround for the online screening
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2041 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto auto show is tomorrow - where can I park for cheap? Walk in distance too.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3149 upvotes
Markham
X24Secret wrote: I've been waiting on mine since Nov 2017!

It'a a stupid system as far as I'm concerned so I've just put the ticket up on my notice board and continue to check the website every week to see what happens as I also never received any notification.

I asked earlier if anyone knew of a time limit for the city to respond but no one responded and I also can't find any online info.
Just as a data point for reference: Just got decision email finally. Fine halved and sent as attachment which is what I had hoped for!
Sep 6, 2009
384 posts
335 upvotes
I got a 150 dollar no stopping during rush hour ticket on Yonge street. I was in the vehicle with emergency lights on behind a line of parked vehicles (maybe 3 or 4) to pick someone up. I tried to communicate with the officer but she was firm with her decision. I do believe I violated a law but not on the same level as cars parked both in front and behind me. Should I be summoning the officer at the court or is an online dispute enough to get a reduction?
Aug 16, 2016
39 posts
9 upvotes
Can you tell me the specifics of your ticket? Did you merely file a dispute for online screening and this resulted in your ticket being cancelled?

I filed a request for online screening myself last week.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1067 posts
447 upvotes
MTL/TO
So if I'm paying for my parking and come back to the car and notice a ticket... Can I contest that with proof of purchase? How long after we get a ticket is a proof of purchase reasonable? 2-3 minutes? 5? 10?

Is this part of the 10 minute grace period rule?
Feb 26, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
I received a parking ticket for parking in a fire route at the Etobicoke olympiam. the ticket says i violated by-law 880-14. When I looked up the by law it said that a Fire route sign shall have several features such as Prominently show the symbols words and colours as outlined in Schedule B of the by-law. When I looked at schedule B it provided a detailed picture. I've attached the link below.

Your text to link here...

The sign close to where I parked had all the red removed. So there was a P but red circle with a line through it. Schedule B clearly says tat this colour and symbol must be present. I believe it is the responsibility of the Etobicoke Olympiam to keep the signs in good repair.

I have a few other points but I was wondering if the fact that the sign was not as the schedule B says it must be is a good enough reason to get out of the ticket.

I'll also add that I did not intentionally park in a fire route. I was dropping off my daughter for an early morning swim practice; it was dark and their was a row of cars parked - they all got tickets -
in what I now know is a fire route. I never park in that area and I assumed it was ok. (the lot was packed due to a swim meet). The sign is also adjacent to an area where only employees can park so it looks like any signs prohibiting parking is for that area. So on one side of the sign is the employee parking lot and then on the other side of the sign is a paved path that leads to the park. I parked on the other side of this paved path. Again it appears the sign has to do with the employee parking area and not with anything after the path.

Sorry I know a picture would show this more clearly but I can't see how I can upload images.

Any advice/insight is appreciated
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10912 posts
754 upvotes
Scarborough
Parents got two tickets in a week for parking overnight on the street after doing so for over a decade. We then got ticketed for parking on the small part of the driveway without touching the sidewalk or the road. That's three in less than a month. Just to add insult to injury, no one else in the area who park on the road are getting tickets.

The last time it happened iwas in multiples cause the neighbors called. The cop who came in the middle of the night gave us a wink and a nod that it was the case.

What to do about this parking situation. We simply don't have garage space. This is already $100 worth of fines in less than a month.

Can I dispute a ticket if the cop wrote the wrong address? Like it's in another area of the city.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3856 posts
2262 upvotes
Toronto
I got a ticket parking right outside of 99 George Street at 1am since apparently that section of the street requires a permit for parking after midnight. But the street post with the Green P Parking Times on it doesn't have the "permit required" signage on it, I'd have to go up or down the street to find a street post with the signage. Do I have a case here?

Feb 19, 2010
9 posts
TORONTO
Received a ticket for $450. Thought it was $45 and went and paid in full before seeing my visa bill. Now they tell me they can't reverse that and let me dispute once i've paid. Do I have any options in getting a refund and going through a dispute?
Mar 8, 2018
2 posts
Good-day,

my wife was waiting for my son in front of his high school today and received a $200 ticket (parking in a fire zone). She was waiting in the car with the hazard lights on. A bylaw officer crept-up behind her and several others who were waiting and slapped tickets onto their cars. Everyone left their cars to complain and ask why they were not warned as they were in their cars. He indicated that he did warn them and then walked away. Pictures were taken from what she told me. If the driver was in the car, can the officer issue the ticket?

Thank you
Nov 26, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
lusiads wrote: I received a parking ticket for parking in a fire route at the Etobicoke olympiam. the ticket says i violated by-law 880-14. When I looked up the by law it said that a Fire route sign shall have several features such as Prominently show the symbols words and colours as outlined in Schedule B of the by-law. When I looked at schedule B it provided a detailed picture. I've attached the link below.

Your text to link here...

The sign close to where I parked had all the red removed. So there was a P but red circle with a line through it. Schedule B clearly says tat this colour and symbol must be present. I believe it is the responsibility of the Etobicoke Olympiam to keep the signs in good repair.

I have a few other points but I was wondering if the fact that the sign was not as the schedule B says it must be is a good enough reason to get out of the ticket.

I'll also add that I did not intentionally park in a fire route. I was dropping off my daughter for an early morning swim practice; it was dark and their was a row of cars parked - they all got tickets -
in what I now know is a fire route. I never park in that area and I assumed it was ok. (the lot was packed due to a swim meet). The sign is also adjacent to an area where only employees can park so it looks like any signs prohibiting parking is for that area. So on one side of the sign is the employee parking lot and then on the other side of the sign is a paved path that leads to the park. I parked on the other side of this paved path. Again it appears the sign has to do with the employee parking area and not with anything after the path.

Sorry I know a picture would show this more clearly but I can't see how I can upload images.

Any advice/insight is appreciated
Good Day:
Signage from legacy bylaws were grandfathered in under Chapter 880-10, item A.

In summary, if the sign was erected under a previous bylaw, the signage does not have to comply with Chapter B, so long as it complied with the bylaw in force at the time it was installed.

I know in my case at Eglinton Square that the signage was less than clear as to the beginning and end of the fire route.... it simply referred to "driveway" which is pretty ambiguous. And a former Scarborough bylaw number was printed on the sign.

Ensure that the address identified on the ticket is documented in Schedule A of Section 880 of the Municipal code. If the address on the ticket is not listed in Schedule A, then one could argue that the address on the ticket is not a legal fire route and that you were therefore not parked in a fire route.