Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Jul 21, 2014
58 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Hi, I received a no standing (code No.00008) ticket yesterday for $100. It was an honest mistake as I wasn't aware of what a no standing sign meant and still tried to park as far as possible from it but nonetheless it was my fault. I want to dispute the ticket to a lower amount. What can I say in my dispute? Thanks in advance.
Oct 15, 2020
146 posts
57 upvotes
supermike wrote: So they can track you down based on the pictures even though the info on the tickets is incorrect.
In Toronto parking enforcement officers routinely take pictures of the vehicles ticketed. Not sure whether the wrong plate number in the ticket still renders it invalid despite the pics show the right number, or its now considered a minor typo allowed to be corrected on the spot. The question also is who is allowed to correct such typos: only the officer who issued the ticket, or any fine review officer?

Does anyone know what sections of Toronto Municipal Code or Ontario Regulation describe what kind of errors render a parking ticket invalid regardless of any photos? I ask namely about regulation or guideline, not about common assumptions.
Apr 28, 2014
292 posts
58 upvotes
Ontario
I got a parking ticket downtown because my ticket (13:13-14:13) expired before we came back. But the driver next to us gave us their parking ticket (14:14-15:15). I tried to dispute online but here's what I got from notice of screening decision. Can I still dispute online??

Upon review of the above noted Parking Violation, its history and submissions, I have made the following determination: The Administrative Penalty and all associated fees are AFFIRMED, as the screening review officer is satisfied on a balance of probabilities. Under the by-law, the onus is on the recipient to prove on a balance of probabilities that the parking violation did not occur. Evidence provided shows the GreenP payment expired. Based on submissions, consideration provided by way of extra time to make payment.
Signature
Oct 15, 2020
146 posts
57 upvotes
I parked on private property Visitor Parking overnight and got ticketed by $30. The ticket says: "Park vehicle on private property without consent. TMC chapter 915-2B". However, I think details are important here:

1) there was a sign erected at parking slots stating "No visitor parking without permit". Presence of the sing requires officer to enter the violation 915-C instead of 915-B. Does that wrong charge invalidates the ticket?
2) further, the sign did not contain any info on how to obtain the permit, which is contrary to 915-5 (A-5). Meaning the sign did not adhere to the standard set by the Police Chief. This seems to mean even if the charge was corrected by a review officer or prosecutor, it still must be dropped since the sign was faulty while still directing to obtain the permit, which seems to invalidate both charge options for that violation.

Is my reasoning correct, and for what scenario: the court hearing or ticket review by admin offences officer?

Also, can anyone give a known list of "fatal ticket errors" that guarantee to invalidate any parking ticket?
Jul 29, 2019
80 posts
13 upvotes
Mikki37 wrote: In Toronto parking enforcement officers routinely take pictures of the vehicles ticketed. Not sure whether the wrong plate number in the ticket still renders it invalid despite the pics show the right number, or its now considered a minor typo allowed to be corrected on the spot. The question also is who is allowed to correct such typos: only the officer who issued the ticket, or any fine review officer?

Does anyone know what sections of Toronto Municipal Code or Ontario Regulation describe what kind of errors render a parking ticket invalid regardless of any photos? I ask namely about regulation or guideline, not about common assumptions.
Hi there, despite the photographic evidence (which does include the vehicle's license plate) if the plate is typed in incorrectly then it is considered invalid.
Once issued, they cannot go back and change the plate based on the error.

The officer would be responsible for fixing that error on the spot, not after the fact.
Jul 29, 2019
80 posts
13 upvotes
X4xtraordinary wrote: I got a parking ticket downtown because my ticket (13:13-14:13) expired before we came back. But the driver next to us gave us their parking ticket (14:14-15:15). I tried to dispute online but here's what I got from notice of screening decision. Can I still dispute online??

Upon review of the above noted Parking Violation, its history and submissions, I have made the following determination: The Administrative Penalty and all associated fees are AFFIRMED, as the screening review officer is satisfied on a balance of probabilities. Under the by-law, the onus is on the recipient to prove on a balance of probabilities that the parking violation did not occur. Evidence provided shows the GreenP payment expired. Based on submissions, consideration provided by way of extra time to make payment.
The officers do take photos of your dashboard including the displayed receipt.
So when you provide "evidence" of a receipt which doesn't match the one displayed in the photo, that raises some flags.
The screening officers don't always catch it when you give them a different receipt but in this case they did.
Jul 29, 2019
80 posts
13 upvotes
Mikki37 wrote: I parked on private property Visitor Parking overnight and got ticketed by $30. The ticket says: "Park vehicle on private property without consent. TMC chapter 915-2B". However, I think details are important here:

1) there was a sign erected at parking slots stating "No visitor parking without permit". Presence of the sing requires officer to enter the violation 915-C instead of 915-B. Does that wrong charge invalidates the ticket?
2) further, the sign did not contain any info on how to obtain the permit, which is contrary to 915-5 (A-5). Meaning the sign did not adhere to the standard set by the Police Chief. This seems to mean even if the charge was corrected by a review officer or prosecutor, it still must be dropped since the sign was faulty while still directing to obtain the permit, which seems to invalidate both charge options for that violation.

Is my reasoning correct, and for what scenario: the court hearing or ticket review by admin offences officer?

Also, can anyone give a known list of "fatal ticket errors" that guarantee to invalidate any parking ticket?
"Park vehicle on private property without consent" is an all encompassing offence for ANY vehicle parked on private property without consent.
This covers Chapter 915 and ALL of its revisions.

As long as Private Property signs are clearly posted (Private property, Authorized Parking Only, Visitor's Parking Only, Parking by Permit etc.) then this offence is legal.

The signs are not at all required to tell you how to get a visitor's pass.

Fatal Errors are things like; Wrong address, wrong plate.

Next time, spend as much time getting a visitor's permit as you are trying to fight this ticket.
Oct 15, 2020
146 posts
57 upvotes
dman2019 wrote: The signs are not at all required to tell you how to get a visitor's pass.
Thanks for your comment. But... did you actually read CHAPTER 915-5.A(2) and 915-5.A(5)? If Yes, pls elaborate. :)
Jul 29, 2019
80 posts
13 upvotes
Mikki37 wrote: Thanks for your comment. But... did you actually read CHAPTER 915-5.A(2) and 915-5.A(5)? If Yes, pls elaborate. :)
915-5 a(2) refers to the standards required for legal signage (i.e. size and dimensions of signs as well as number posted based on the size of the property)

(2) Signs with dimensions, contents and in sufficient locations as approved by the Chief are posted on the property

915-5 a(5) refers to the very fact that the signage stating that a visitor's pass is required does actually count as your posted notice. Plus there's a little allowance for common sense on the part of the driver, buildings will have security or a superintendent to accommodate this, in addition to the person you are visiting should be able to advise you accordingly.

If the property is a residential property with visitor parking for which a permit is required, signs satisfactory to the Chief have been posted on the property advising visitors of the means by which to obtain a permit and the Chief is satisfied that a permit may readily be obtained within a thirty-minute waiting period;
Oct 15, 2020
146 posts
57 upvotes
dman2019 wrote: a little allowance for common sense
I disagree with this statement. The sign content MUST adhere to the standard, it MUST contain info on how to obtain the parking permit - this is clearly stipulated by the above sections. We can talk all night about "common sense", but... its all legally insignificant. Forum votes are irrelevant, only letter of the law applies. Reason for this is simple: By-laws are enacted by the city counsel, which is elected by Toronto population. As per Chapter 610-1.2(C) the city employees, including administrative penalty review and hearing officers can't interpret, question validity or applicability of city by-laws, they must comply with by-laws to the letter.
Jul 29, 2019
80 posts
13 upvotes
Mikki37 wrote: I disagree with this statement. The sign content MUST adhere to the standard, it MUST contain info on how to obtain the parking permit - this is clearly stipulated by the above sections. We can talk all night about "common sense", but... its all legally insignificant. Forum votes are irrelevant, only letter of the law applies. Reason for this is simple: By-laws are enacted by the city counsel, which is elected by Toronto population. As per Chapter 610-1.2(C) the city employees, including administrative penalty review and hearing officers can't interpret, question validity or applicability of city by-laws, they must comply with by-laws to the letter.
I'm not here to change anyone's mind about anything. If you think you have a case, and it's obvious that you do, feel free to dispute the tag.
Re-post to advise if it was successful. Good luck.
Jun 18, 2009
129 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
I disputed this online and periodically checked the status. I think it was previously "Screening Scheduled" and now it's "Outstanding (Trial Requested)".

I was hoping this would get reduced or cancelled. What's supposed to happen next?
Images
  • parking.png
Nov 13, 2020
1 posts
I just received two municipal letters stating I have not paid two seperate parking fines I got back in May. The tickets are now double the price due to late payment. Can I dispute the late payment additional fee since I never physically saw any ticket and this is the first I am hearing about it?
Oct 18, 2010
399 posts
287 upvotes
So it has been 1 year and 7 months since I got the parking ticket and initiated a dispute. Until now, the status has not changed. It still says "Screening Scheduled".

Has anyone else waited this long or longer for a verdict?

Is there any way for me to get them to drop the fine since it's been so long?
Images
  • Parking Ticket 5 May 2019 Dispute - 26 Nov 20.png
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Take a look at this: https://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parkingstay.php
cardenas wrote: So it has been 1 year and 7 months since I got the parking ticket and initiated a dispute. Until now, the status has not changed. It still says "Screening Scheduled".

Has anyone else waited this long or longer for a verdict?

Is there any way for me to get them to drop the fine since it's been so long?
Jan 8, 2021
1 posts
Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Request a trial and at the trial, you can tell them your financial situation and ask for it to be reduced.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
ShahA45873 wrote: Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Sell your phone to offset the cost. You used your phone while driving, you may have been stopped but you were still in traffic and not parked off the travel lanes.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10499 posts
7632 upvotes
ON
rcmpvet wrote: Sell your phone to offset the cost. You used your phone while driving, you may have been stopped but you were still in traffic and not parked off the travel lanes.
Not sure if it will help, apparently this phone doesn't have hands free capability, must be really old...
I am appalled at the number of people holding their phones while driving despite of the salty fines. It's just complete disregard and there's no excuse for it, since there's many ways one can have a phone call while obeying the law. Then there's the dimwits texting while driving which is a completely idiotic move IMHO...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
ShahA45873 wrote: Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Unless you’re parked legally, you’d be guilty. Stopped car or not. Just like you can’t use your phone when stopped at a red light.

You may want to post in the stickied “Ticket” thread, as well.

As far as the fine... that’s just the start of your fun. Your insurance is likely to take a major hit.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)