Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I have a similar situation with 2 tickets that I disputed online and got the result back a few months later. Both were rejected, so I decided to request a trial. It's not almost one year since the infraction (Feb 28th, 2020) and have not heard a thing about the trial. Online it says "Outstanding (Trial Requested)" but the due date for the ticket says Feb 16th, 2021. I am not paying that when I have requested a trial and they haven't sent me a date, but why does it say outstanding and will I get dinged if I don't pay it even though I am waiting for a trial? The other ticket was same scenario in terms of requesting a trial, but it says "Hearing date not yet scheduled" - infraction was on March 2nd, 2020 and due date says Feb 10th, 2021.
If the trial occurs over one year later, is it still possible to evoke section 11(b) of the Canadian Charter?: https://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parkingstay.php
the_triller wrote: I disputed this online and periodically checked the status. I think it was previously "Screening Scheduled" and now it's "Outstanding (Trial Requested)".

I was hoping this would get reduced or cancelled. What's supposed to happen next?
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Take a look at this: https://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parkingstay.php
cardenas wrote: So it has been 1 year and 7 months since I got the parking ticket and initiated a dispute. Until now, the status has not changed. It still says "Screening Scheduled".

Has anyone else waited this long or longer for a verdict?

Is there any way for me to get them to drop the fine since it's been so long?
Jan 8, 2021
1 posts
Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Request a trial and at the trial, you can tell them your financial situation and ask for it to be reduced.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2100 posts
1351 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
ShahA45873 wrote: Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Sell your phone to offset the cost. You used your phone while driving, you may have been stopped but you were still in traffic and not parked off the travel lanes.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8700 posts
5075 upvotes
ON
rcmpvet wrote: Sell your phone to offset the cost. You used your phone while driving, you may have been stopped but you were still in traffic and not parked off the travel lanes.
Not sure if it will help, apparently this phone doesn't have hands free capability, must be really old...
I am appalled at the number of people holding their phones while driving despite of the salty fines. It's just complete disregard and there's no excuse for it, since there's many ways one can have a phone call while obeying the law. Then there's the dimwits texting while driving which is a completely idiotic move IMHO...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11725 posts
7987 upvotes
Edmonton
ShahA45873 wrote: Anyone knows what should l do? There was demonstrations in downtown on 8th January. Police stopped the traffic, all cars was stopped to moving slowly. I tried to video it, a cob came and pulled me over, asked me documents and give me 490 bucks fine. Because l was talking and driving. I said traffic was stopped, he said l wasn't parking l was on the road. I don't know what to do. I'm on ei l , can pay even 20 buck. 500 bucks kills me.
Unless you’re parked legally, you’d be guilty. Stopped car or not. Just like you can’t use your phone when stopped at a red light.

You may want to post in the stickied “Ticket” thread, as well.

As far as the fine... that’s just the start of your fun. Your insurance is likely to take a major hit.

C
Jan 18, 2021
1 posts
cardenas wrote: So it has been 1 year and 7 months since I got the parking ticket and initiated a dispute. Until now, the status has not changed. It still says "Screening Scheduled".

Has anyone else waited this long or longer for a verdict?

Is there any way for me to get them to drop the fine since it's been so long?
Mine too! since Oct 2019 just says "Screening Scheduled"..... it's so long. What happens?
Jul 24, 2020
4 posts
I have 3 cars and my driveway is split by a sidewalk, i keep getting tickets for "obstructing sidewalk" because my bumper spills over the to the sidewalk. There is literally no room for me to park it any other way (can't do parallel because shared driveway with neighbour). Is there any other options for me? Seems unreasonable to keep getting tickets for parking on our own driveway..