Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
joep wrote: This one is strange

I received in the mail that I had a Park Machine-Reqd Fee not Paid violation, in downtown Toronto.

The thing is I wasn't even in Toronto during that time, in fact I have never been to the address specified in the violation location.

How do I go about to dispute this ticket?
You should have the option to respond to the ticket online, at which point there's instructions to request disclosure. You want them to disclose the evidence they have against you, as it'll generally include a picture of the plate/vehicle/etc. so you can proceed to fight the invalid ticket with evidence in hand (their own evidence, which presumably is incorrect, and to your benefit).
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 25, 2010
766 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Do they just take a picture of your parking violation and send you a ticket or do they still print out the yellow paper? I’m trying to see if I got any outstanding parking tickets but when I check online I need to provide the violation.
Selling cheap textbooks & books. Price is negotiable!
Newbie
Jul 29, 2019
72 posts
11 upvotes
grumps312 wrote: Do they just take a picture of your parking violation and send you a ticket or do they still print out the yellow paper? I’m trying to see if I got any outstanding parking tickets but when I check online I need to provide the violation.
Yes, They do take photos of your vehicle as part of the evidence.
Newbie
Oct 19, 2013
12 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
Hi Everyone,

I got a parking ticket at 40 Orchard View Blvd. Toronto $450. This is an area with many confusing signs on top of each other (No standing to the left, Green P to the right) and an area where the parking officer sits and waits to give out big tickets. I parked and purchased a green P ticket at 7:28. I went out of the car and walked acrosss the street. and by 7:30 I had a $450 ticket. At 7:31 I was back at the car pleading with the officer. I disputed the charge and they gave me a "VARIED" result reducing the ticket to $300.

Questions
1) Should I attempt to dispute this further?
2) If I do, will I need to have an in-person hearing?

Thank you,
Newbie
Aug 1, 2022
3 posts
3 upvotes
Just received notice of overdue parking penalty in the mail today Dec 28 for a violation that occurred on dec. 5 park - longer than 3 hours . Thing is I've never been to Toronto, I went through the dispute process on the site and submitted proof (security camera screenshots) that i was home in another city with my car. Does anyone have any clue on the response timing?
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
eymandel2 wrote: Hi Everyone,

I got a parking ticket at 40 Orchard View Blvd. Toronto $450. This is an area with many confusing signs on top of each other (No standing to the left, Green P to the right) and an area where the parking officer sits and waits to give out big tickets. I parked and purchased a green P ticket at 7:28. I went out of the car and walked acrosss the street. and by 7:30 I had a $450 ticket. At 7:31 I was back at the car pleading with the officer. I disputed the charge and they gave me a "VARIED" result reducing the ticket to $300.
So .... You bought a ticket, and parked in an accessible/handicap spot? Struggling to think of what else would be $450'ish....?
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
ownage365th wrote: Just received notice of overdue parking penalty in the mail today Dec 28 for a violation that occurred on dec. 5 park - longer than 3 hours . Thing is I've never been to Toronto, I went through the dispute process on the site and submitted proof (security camera screenshots) that i was home in another city with my car. Does anyone have any clue on the response timing?
If you've followed the correct procedure online? Request disclosure, the wait is consistently several months long for any sort of response.

FWIW, I doubt the camera footage means much, since it's not really proof of anything (after all, you can set the date/time on your camera system to anything, the cameras could be located literally anywhere, the officer doesn't know any better, it's not actual proof).

Be prepared to fight the ticket based on the evidence they produce, not stills from a random camera with dates/times on 'em.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
eymandel2 wrote: Yes that is correct. The signage was confusing.
Assuming it's this spot? https://goo.gl/maps/FvUPZATPbb8KSTdFA

Good luck. They'll have a picture of the spot, and with only 2 signs on the post, and the spot being outside of the paid parking, It seems unlikely you'd win that argument, but you can always try!
Newbie
Oct 19, 2013
12 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan
porcupine5 wrote: Assuming it's this spot? https://goo.gl/maps/FvUPZATPbb8KSTdFA

Good luck. They'll have a picture of the spot, and with only 2 signs on the post, and the spot being outside of the paid parking, It seems unlikely you'd win that argument, but you can always try!
Yes - this is the spot. If I choose to ask for a hearing, is it in person? Also, once I ask for a hearing, can I change my mind and just pay it?
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
eymandel2 wrote: Yes - this is the spot. If I choose to ask for a hearing, is it in person? Also, once I ask for a hearing, can I change my mind and just pay it?
Unless it's recently changed, it's a phone call with the arbiter (ac ting as an all-in-one prosecutor & judge effectively). Not sure on the just pay it bit, not sure it matters by that time, aside from the additional months of waiting for the hearing/etc?
Newbie
Sep 27, 2022
8 posts
4 upvotes
eymandel2 wrote: Yes - this is the spot. If I choose to ask for a hearing, is it in person? Also, once I ask for a hearing, can I change my mind and just pay it?
As porcupine5's screenshot from Google Street View shows, the signs are there and they are clear. You are not going to get this reduced any further unless you prove extenuating circumstances (like an emergency or a car breakdown or a medical issue or something out of the ordinary like that) or financial hardship. "Financial hardship" does not mean high inflation and high interest rates -- all of us who eat food and put gas in a car and have debts are dealing with high inflation and high interest rates. It means something like (for example) being a single parent with 2 kids and no income except, say, Ontario Disability Support Program payments of $1300 a month, for example.

The hearings are done over WebEx, which is an online platform like Zoom. You can dial in on a phone if you want, but then the Hearing Officer cannot share his/her screen with you (for example to show you the photos the parking enforcement officer took), and you cannot share your screen with him/her or show him/her anything by holding it up to your camera.

Once you ask for a hearing, you can instead just pay the outstanding penalty and the hearing will be cancelled automatically. Don't ask for a hearing and then no-show, because they will tack on an additional no-show penalty of around 75 bucks. But if you pay the outstanding penalty before the hearing, the hearing will be cancelled and you won't be charged a no-show penalty.
Newbie
Feb 3, 2023
1 posts
Hello all,

I got a parking ticket with "Park - Signed Highway - During Prohibited (Day/Time)". The ticket also mentions Code Ch. 950-405A.

I tried to do some digging, and found that 950-405A refers to limits mentioned in Schedule XIII. In Schedule XIII, they mention that parking is prohibited on Mavety Street between Annette and Hillsview at any time.

Now the ticket mentions that my car was parked at 175 Mavety which is actually outside of the prohibited section I mentioned above. Hopefully, the following link demonstrates to you what I'm saying. In short, no parking zone as per Sch. XIII is indicated in red on the linked image. Car parking location as per ticket is shown as blue. And the actual car parking location is shown in green.
https://imgur.com/wb5Ld8F

Questions for you are:
1. Do I have a reasonable chance to succeed in challenging the ticket, given that the car was parked outside of the no parking zone as per Schedule XIII. (Note that in reality there were signs posted where I parked, I just didn't notice them in a rush). Not sure if the actual signs posted on the street matter, or if I only need to worry about Sch XIII.
2. Is it even worth mentioning the difference between the green and the blue, when filing for dispute, or do I just ignore that my car was parked at a slightly different place than what the officer wrote?
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
74 posts
52 upvotes
ParkingTicket wrote: 1. Do I have a reasonable chance to succeed in challenging the ticket, given that the car was parked outside of the no parking zone as per Schedule XIII. (Note that in reality there were signs posted where I parked, I just didn't notice them in a rush). Not sure if the actual signs posted on the street matter, or if I only need to worry about Sch XIII.
2. Is it even worth mentioning the difference between the green and the blue, when filing for dispute, or do I just ignore that my car was parked at a slightly different place than what the officer wrote?
You parked beside a no parking sign, they'll presumably have a picture of your car/plate/etc., with the sign visible. You have zero prospect of winning based on that information.

Top