Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
highway wrote: You can get all the notes you want it still is not an defence to the charge. If it were truly an EMERGENCY then 911 should have been called!
so your point is fight every ticket but do not collect evidence?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: I can get Nikita in here too if you want?
if you feel insecure, call him/her
Fox1971 wrote: The child wasn't hospitalized or the poster would have said so initially and he wasn't in such distress that an ambulance was needed
the car was left open. the purse was inside. obviously someone left in distress. you can run and issue a ticket or wait and figure out why. that's what I call common sense
Fox1971 wrote: He and I have a history where he likes to think he knows about legal matters and I have to teach him how wrong he is
point me where I was wrong :lol:
you make up stories again
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1251 posts
101 upvotes
I don't want to pay for parking/don't read the parking signs/think I'm exception to the law and got a parking ticket. This is not fair/an outrage/a cash grab and I don't think I should have to pay the ticket becuase I'm special/an exception to the law/pay enough in taxes. What can I do to get out of this?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: if you feel insecure, call him/her
You should have realized from our previous exchanges that I have absolutely no sense of insecurity when dealing with you. I just find it funny to see you get beat up on by a girl. [IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ey/lol.gif[/IMG]
vero95 wrote: the car was left open. the purse was inside. obviously someone left in distress. you can run and issue a ticket or wait and figure out why. that's what I call common sense
Or they were just careless. In any case it is irrelevant to the charge and NOT a valid defence. It is also an inefficient use of my time to wait around by an illegally parked vehicle for the driver to return so I can lecture them, that's not my job. My job is to issue the ticket and move on.
vero95 wrote: point me where I was wrong :lol:
you make up stories again
Oh, you want to go down that road do you? How about the entire thread I linked to below, starting with my first comment on the relevant law, where you argued rights versus privilege to drive and were repeatedly proven wrong with links to statutes and SCC rulings. While we're on the topic of making things up, please present any example where I made anything up. And don't bother with the Nikita boy/girl mix up as that was just an erroneous assumption on my part that I immediately corrected when I realized my mistake. I encourage everyone reading this to check out the thread linked below and decide for themselves whose position was better crafted with the facts laid out in a clear manner and whose argument, well...wasn't. It can be quite entertaining as I have been told.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/poli ... st10280276
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: so your point is fight every ticket but do not collect evidence?
So let me see if I've got this right. Your advice to the OP is to collect and present evidence in court that would absolutely guarantee that the prosecution gets a conviction? With a defense strategy like that, I wouldn't even need to show up for court and I'd still win. As a paralegal, vero95, you make a great software engineer. Don't give up you day job, douche.
[IMG]http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr28 ... lleyes.gif[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2426 posts
202 upvotes
I received a 'Trial of Notice' for a parking ticket in the mail but the time/location makes it difficult for me to attend, so instead of re-scheduling (which may be rejected) can I pay the ticket instead of going to trial?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Sepiraph wrote: I received a 'Trial of Notice' for a parking ticket in the mail but the time/location makes it difficult for me to attend, so instead of re-scheduling (which may be rejected) can I pay the ticket instead of going to trial?
Yes. I recommend doing it in person at the Parking Tag Operations office. That way you can verify that your trial will be canceled. If you pay it online there is no guarantee that the courts will be notified that a trial is no longer necessary.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: so your point is fight every ticket but do not collect evidence?
I missed this earlier. I do agree that one should fight every ticket and I also agree that you should gather any evidence that will help your defence if in fact you have a defence to the charge! Gathering evidence to hang yourself is useless.

I have seen a J.P convict an elderly gentleman for parking in the fire route and his explanation was that he was having symptoms of a heart attack. He parked there to call his Doctor. It's a great excuse but again it's not a defence. Of course the JP was sympathatic and gave him a suspended sentence on the fine but the point is he was guilty.

I also agree that one should always order disclosure. It keeps officers on their toes :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
highway wrote: I missed this earlier. I do agree that one should fight every ticket and I also agree that you should gather any evidence that will help your defence if in fact you have a defence to the charge! Gathering evidence to hang yourself is useless.
so your advice is not to get the evidence from school that there was an emergency?
Sr. Member
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
So here's my friend's situation ;)

He parked his car on Adelaide at 2 AM, tow truck tows it away because of of a 'No Standing' law. There was no signs or anything. The car is dropped off at the impound on York street. He heads there and went through the gates and drives off the impound without paying the fines and everything to release it. What's going to happen?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: You should have realized from our previous exchanges that I have absolutely no sense of insecurity when dealing with you. I just find it funny to see you get beat up on by a girl. [IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ey/lol.gif[/IMG]
I did not realize I was beat up. point me where it happened
Fox1971 wrote: Oh, you want to go down that road do you? How about the entire thread I linked to below, starting with my first comment on the relevant law, where you argued rights versus privilege to drive and were repeatedly proven wrong with links to statutes and SCC rulings. While we're on the topic of making things up, please present any example where I made anything up. And don't bother with the Nikita boy/girl mix up as that was just an erroneous assumption on my part that I immediately corrected when I realized my mistake. I encourage everyone reading this to check out the thread linked below and decide for themselves whose position was better crafted with the facts laid out in a clear manner and whose argument, well...wasn't. It can be quite entertaining as I have been told.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/poli ... st10280276
dude, you ask me to show you what you did wrong but to skip some small mistakes. the point is you keep making up stories, accusing people and calling names for no reason. isn't that what you said?
All that's required for stupidity to triumph is that smart people remain silent. I know I'm not going to penetrate the thick skulls of most of the people who post here but I just have to believe that there are a few reading what I've written and actually learning something. I'm an optimist that way. I also like to wind some of these morons up and watch them start foaming at the mouth because it's just good clean fun.
geez, dude. you are a public employee. the reason I told you it was brave to reveal your profession was not a complement. dude, you amuse me but someone may get really offended and do something about that
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Invasionmix wrote: So here's my friend's situation ;)

He parked his car on Adelaide at 2 AM, tow truck tows it away because of of a 'No Standing' law. There was no signs or anything. The car is dropped off at the impound on York street. He heads there and went through the gates and drives off the impound without paying the fines and everything to release it. What's going to happen?
Tow trucks don't just tow vehicles away without first getting the authorization from a parking enforcement officer after the vehicle was tagged. The vehicle would have been logged in with Toronto Police and at the pound when it was dropped off. If your friend actually did what he told you, he can expect a visit from Toronto Police in the not too distant future. He can also expect to be taken to small claims court by the tow/pound operator for failing to pay the outstanding fees. However, given fact that the impound lot is staffed 24/7/365 and the gates are monitored and locked at all times to prevent exactly what your friend described, I doubt that he actually pulled it off. He's just telling you a BS story to impress you instead of the more likely story that he just paid the towing/storage fees to get his car back like everybody else.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: so your advice is not to get the evidence from school that there was an emergency?
There was NO emergency!!! How many times do you need to have things explained to you? No EMS attended, no visit to the hospital was made subsequent to the child being picked up by his mother. It was just a worried parent who didn't park where she should have and got caught.

[IMG]http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo12 ... mplied.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: I did not realize I was beat up. point me where it happened
Uhhh, try looking at any exchange between you and Nikita. Boy, the emperor really has no clothes where you're concerned, does he?
vero95 wrote: dude, you ask me to show you what you did wrong but to skip some small mistakes. the point is you keep making up stories, accusing people and calling names for no reason. isn't that what you said?
I don't call people names for no reason. I do it when I'm faced with unbelievable stupidity. BTW I still don't see any examples where I lied or "made up stories". But it does remind me that you never did answer my earlier question from that other thread: What qualifications do YOU, a software engineer, have that makes you think you know the law better than a lawyer or anybody else working in the courts? You constantly argue points of law that you obviously know nothing about but refuse to accept what other better qualified people are telling you. So answer the question. I'm going to keep asking it every time you reply to me until you do.
vero95 wrote: geez, dude. you are a public employee. the reason I told you it was brave to reveal your profession was not a complement. dude, you amuse me but someone may get really offended and do something about that
What the hell are you talking about? You are making no sense at all. What you quoted was from a conversation I had with another poster and has nothing to do with what we are discussing here or with your non-compliment. It was a reply I made to Nikita here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/poli ... st10292355 . Your non-compliment was made here : http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/poli ... st10313345 4 days and 89 posts later and one remark had nothing to do with the other. Did everybody reading this see how he tried to deflect the conversation away from himself and his own erroneous position?
Sr. Member
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: Tow trucks don't just tow vehicles away without first getting the authorization from a parking enforcement officer after the vehicle was tagged. The vehicle would have been logged in with Toronto Police and at the pound when it was dropped off. If your friend actually did what he told you, he can expect a visit from Toronto Police in the not too distant future. He can also expect to be taken to small claims court by the tow/pound operator for failing to pay the outstanding fees. However, given fact that the impound lot is staffed 24/7/365 and the gates are monitored and locked at all times to prevent exactly what your friend described, I doubt that he actually pulled it off. He's just telling you a BS story to impress you instead of the more likely story that he just paid the towing/storage fees to get his car back like everybody else.
lol I was there ;) Trust me he pulled it off.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Invasionmix wrote: lol I was there ;) Trust me he pulled it off.
Then like I said, he can expect a visit from the police and a small claims suit to be filed against him. It might take a little while but it will happen. He won't think it's so funny then. What he did was no different than if he took his car from a mechanic shop without paying the bill. If he wants to avoid trouble then he should return to the pound and pay his fees.
Sr. Member
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: Then like I said, he can expect a visit from the police and a small claims suit to be filed against him. It might take a little while but it will happen. He won't think it's so funny then. What he did was no different than if he took his car from a mechanic shop without paying the bill. If he wants to avoid trouble then he should return to the pound and pay his fees.
Well apparently he talked to his friend who's a police officer and the officer said that legally they can't take anything that's yours.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Invasionmix wrote: Well apparently he talked to his friend who's a police officer and the officer said that legally they can't take anything that's yours.
Now I am definitely calling BS on this story. I know the level of security at these pounds and already found the story fishy. But now you are telling me that a police officer said it was not legal for an illegally parked vehicle to be tagged and towed off the street? And that he said it was okay for your friend to steal his car from the Toronto Police contracted impound lot without paying his fees? Either your friends buddy is the stupidest police officer ever or you are just blatantly lying through your teeth now.
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Fox1971 wrote: Now I am definitely calling BS on this story. I know the level of security at these pounds and already found the story fishy. But now you are telling me that a police officer said it was not legal for an illegally parked vehicle to be tagged and towed off the street? And that he said it was okay for your friend to steal his car from the Toronto Police contracted impound lot without paying his fees? Either your friends buddy is the stupidest police officer ever or you are just blatantly lying through your teeth now.
Those places are more secure then Alcatraz :)
Sr. Member
Apr 20, 2003
631 posts
15 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote:
lol maybe he's a bad cop iuno but it did happen! I thought it was a funny story for me cause I was just the passenger. But yeah it's not THAT hard to get out of the gates. We just followed a guy who paid his fees and followed his car out unnoticed. :D

Top