Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Dec 26, 2022
5 posts
rcmpvet wrote: Yes it is. The regulation is for 7 days a week between 0800 and 1700 hrs.

Portugal Square North A point 67 metres west of Bathurst Street and a point 32 metres further west
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Within a school bus loading zone during the times set out in Schedule XXXVII in § 950-1336, unless that vehicle is a school bus as defined in the
Highway Traffic Act

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode ... 950-37.pdf
Firstly, thank you for responding and providing this information. Accepting this information as accurate, I would agree that I parked in this location at a time to which I shouldn't have. However, I've only come to realize this as a result of coming to the RFD community for assistance. Appreciate you providing that link with the set times as well, it appears to vary from one location to another. How is one to know the times they cannot park (outside of typical school hours) if it not posted on the sign? I get it most people have internet on their phones these days but is that a realistic expectation of drivers to go online to check times or should it be clearly posted? The only times posted are on the no parking sign directly below the school bus sign, which indicates Monday-Friday 7a-6p, and aligns with typical school hours.

Do I have a reasonable defence in disputing the ticket? It is my understanding in legal and regulatory contexts, clear and unambiguous signage is crucial for enforcement actions to be considered reasonable. If the signs are unclear, inconsistent, or insufficiently informative, it can undermine the enforceability of the restrictions they're meant to convey. I parked in good faith and checked the signage for the posted times, and attempted to comply based on the information available on the pole, not what can be found on the internet.

I ask because I'm not one to park where I shouldn't and not sure how the screening process works in this particular situation. Is a favourable outcome at all possible?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@tdshop I think I understand your concerns and you very well may have a good argument as to conflicting information at a specific location.

That said, ignorance of the law is no excuse. This is even more so now than it was over 20 years ago. Back then one had to actually go to the library or the City Hall to actually be able to review such laws. Now it is easily done on the Internet, depending on which city/town we are talking about. I say depends on location as not every municipality or province may have easy access. Canada, Ontario and Toronto all have easy access. I am sure most, if not all the other Provinces have the same easy access.

Example - Federal - Canada.ca - 3 clicks will bring you to all the Federal Statutes/Regulations.
- Ontario - Ontario.ca - 2 clicks will bring you to all the Provincial Statutes/Regulations.
- Toronto - Toronto.ca - 3 clicks will bring you to all the Bylaws as listed by number and year enacted/amended.

Note - Toronto has to be the most convoluted registry I have seen. A couple of more clicks will eventually bring you to a search function that you can use the actual By-law number or phrase search.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Feb 26, 2024
1 posts
Got a parking ticket last Saturday at York University for "park on private property without consent", $75 fine with the recent increase from $30. Handwritten ticket. States "Contrary to: (Bylaw or Code) TORONTO" with no bylaw section or name, as several others here have received. Has anyone successfully got the ticket cancelled for this? It should be an easy cancellation based on section 1.1 of the Cancellation Guidelines (incorrect or missing bylaw section) but I'm not 100% sure. The location of the offence was incorrect as well -- they used the general university address and not the parking garage address, but I don't think it can be cancelled based on that alone.
I'll request a Screening Review once the ticket is available online.
Oct 6, 2023
3 posts
clutch31 wrote: Wow, I also just received a notice of overdue parking penalty and could be the exact same issue. It cites a time and location that I never parked at.

What's annoying is that an option to dispute is not available online. I'm on hold calling them to dispute the ticket.
Exact same thing happened to me today. I submitted a request to dispute the charge online. I also called the Toronto police to notify them of the fraud and the response was to wait until you hear back from the dispute review process as it could just be a clerical error.
It would be helpful if the City included a photo of the offending vehicle in the penalty letter.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1480 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
MSERFD wrote: Exact same thing happened to me today. I submitted a request to dispute the charge online. I also called the Toronto police to notify them of the fraud and the response was to wait until you hear back from the dispute review process as it could just be a clerical error.
It would be helpful if the City included a photo of the offending vehicle in the penalty letter.
Just to update. I had to go to Metro Hall in person to see a screening officer. He took a look at the photo which I assume showed a different vehicle/plate and said it will be cancelled. It's baffling that I had to go all the way there in person wasting my work hours.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2019
1127 posts
799 upvotes
ONTARIO
Got a ticket in Toronto says drove away
Ticket was for stop -signed highway - during rush hour

Worth disputing? Don't remember the location on Queen Street.
Do they have to prove that my car was there? I don't see any pics on this paper.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11765 upvotes
GTA
MSERFD wrote: Exact same thing happened to me today. I submitted a request to dispute the charge online. I also called the Toronto police to notify them of the fraud and the response was to wait until you hear back from the dispute review process as it could just be a clerical error.
You called the police to report fraud! :rolleyes:
Jul 14, 2019
71 posts
68 upvotes
My wife got a ticket of 350$ first time for parking in accessible parking.
She just stopped to pick a call from employer who terminated her last week & was inside car itself (as other spot were all full while picking son from daycare infront of it). She called city to cancel for first time offence, but they reduced just 100$. Is there a way to dismiss/fight it/reduce further?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@SandyCanada Pay the fine. Disabled people definitely have priority over a telephone call.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)