Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1298 posts
1249 upvotes
platonic wrote: I understand that, but I paid the $10 to park, a bit late when I'm there to move the car and he sees me there, and the lot is empty anyway..that is not how a good business makes their money imo

They don't care. Parking is scarce in Toronto. Because of this, people will tolerate this (I'm not saying they agree with it) because they don't have many options.

One more reason to ditch the car IMO.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
platonic wrote: I JUST got a ticket - was parked in a Impark above ground lot overnight, I paid the 10 dollars which was valid until 8am, i got there at 8:14 when I saw the guy and ran to him and asked him to stop, he continued and issued the ticket, and also took a picture of my parking ticket on my dashboard!

This is at 411 Church St. Surface lot. I think it is a Green P, says Impark on the ticket.

Any way I can fight this?

It isn't a Green P lot. Impark is a private company that manages parking lots all across North America. They do not issue real City of Toronto parking tickets, they issue private "invoices" to vehicles that, unlike all other fake tickets, have been deemed legal by the courts. If you don't pay the "invoice" it is possible that Impark could initiate collection actions against you but that is not likely over one infraction. However they do keep track of all unpaid invoices and the next time they catch you in violation they might have your vehicle towed.
Aug 15, 2003
353 posts
2 upvotes
just got hit with a 250 parked in a fire route ticket at work .. me and like 45 other cars. I arrived at 4pm, ticket at 3:46 :o

I cant afford to pay it .. student bills etc and there is an explanation. Should I just take to trial or get some paralegal help? Seriously though, with this many tickets, its easily over 7G in one lot.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3235 posts
227 upvotes
Xavier wrote: just got hit with a 250 parked in a fire route ticket at work .. me and like 45 other cars. I arrived at 4pm, ticket at 3:46 :o

I cant afford to pay it .. student bills etc and there is an explanation. Should I just take to trial or get some paralegal help? Seriously though, with this many tickets, its easily over 7G in one lot.

How'd so many cars manage to park in a fire route?
Aug 15, 2003
353 posts
2 upvotes
its a big parking lot at work, but apparently policed by toronto parking authority or whatever .. :(

there are random signs all over said lot .. most of them not visible cause of big snow banks and wayyy too many cars parked in random spots cause 0 spots left after 9am it seems.
Sep 14, 2009
338 posts
9 upvotes
i dont' have the ticket with me atm.
i'm basically ticket 30$ for parking in private property without consent or something. it's the first one of the yellow ticket list. and the officer filled the $.
wtf does that mean. i have parking permit for this school parking lot and i paid 700-800$ for it.
my permit is always displayed on the rear mirror.
where can i dispute?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Xavier wrote: its a big parking lot at work, but apparently policed by toronto parking authority or whatever .. :(

there are random signs all over said lot .. most of them not visible cause of big snow banks and wayyy too many cars parked in random spots cause 0 spots left after 9am it seems.

The snow banks are all 9 feet tall? That's how tall they would have to be in order to obstruct the Fire Route signs. I think the more likely scenario is that you just didn't look for the signs before you parked.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
okevino wrote: i dont' have the ticket with me atm.
i'm basically ticket 30$ for parking in private property without consent or something. it's the first one of the yellow ticket list. and the officer filled the $.
wtf does that mean. i have parking permit for this school parking lot and i paid 700-800$ for it.
my permit is always displayed on the rear mirror.
where can i dispute?

There are countless reasons why you might have been ticketed. Parked on Private Property Without Owners Consent is just the catch-all charge that covers all of those possible scenarios and the specific reason for the ticket would be detailed in the PEO's notes. Just because you have a permit that does not mean that you were not in violation of the parking rules for that property. A permit does not automatically give you the right to park wherever you want, whenever you want or for as long as you want at that location and you are still expected to comply with parking regulations. If you want to dispute the charge, your options are clearly detailed on the back of the ticket.
Aug 15, 2003
353 posts
2 upvotes
whatever your logic is 250 is a lot to pay. The parking situation at work is chaotic and I won't be driving in anytime soon again. I guess I have no option but to dispute. I was hoping for tips in this forum though... :razz:
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Xavier wrote: whatever your logic is 250 is a lot to pay. The parking situation at work is chaotic and I won't be driving in anytime soon again. I guess I have no option but to dispute. I was hoping for tips in this forum though... :razz:

you can always plead not guilty and then ask to lower the fine
it is a lot of money
Mar 26, 2008
58 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting thread. I just got a notice of conviction for parking at 700 Gerrad Street East on Jan 16. Well problem is my car was in Richmond Hill at the time. So I have no idea how the person got my plates and description of vehicle? Anyone else had this happen to them? I'm thinking this particular officer takes down random plates and then issues tickets while sitting at home to meet a quota. I went to the parking office and they told me to go to court which I filed for or else I would be convicted.

But does anyone have nay suggestions as to what else I could do?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2169 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
I got a parking ticket yesterday for $40.

Under the section about my infraction, it says "Code No. 5 - Park signed highway during prohibited (Times/Days)"

The ticket was issued at 9:06 PM.

I parked my car on the street at 9PM and returned at 11PM.

The parking sign clearly allow me to park after 9PM. It says "Pay parking enforced: Mon - Fri 9:30 AM to 9:00PM"

1) Why did I get this ticket?
2) Should I bother fighting it?
Feb 11, 2011
2 posts
Ontario
This morning I got a parking ticket while I was in the car with my children. I remained in the car with my kids while my husband was literally running into the store we were in front of to drop something off. The parking enforcement officer knocked on my window (passenger side) and asked me to buy a ticket. I told him that my husband was coming out any second and was literally just running in. The officer was also speaking on his cell phone and wearing sunglasses even though it was overcast and snowing. He said something else that I didn't understand. Because I couldn't see his eyes and he did not appear to be looking in my direction, I asked him if he was speaking to me. I didn't say this in a belligerent tone and was nothing but polite to him. Without answering, the officer went to the back of my vehicle and began to give me a ticket. I immediately opened my door and said "wait, i'll buy a parking ticket" and as i was getting money he put the infraction ticket on my windshield and said "I only ask once" and quickly walked off. THe incident took less than one minute and my husband returned as the officer was walking away! I have two questions:

I'd like to know if I was technically parked. I was in the vehicle with my children and was not getting out of the car. I have lived in Toronto for over 10 years and this has never garnered me a ticket before. I would have said we were stopped and not parked as I never left the vehicle and the extent of our time stopped was approximately 3 mins. I am opposed to idling b/c of the environment (and also the infraction that would bring!)

Secondly, Do I have any recourse for his rudeness? I found this person incredibly abrupt and rude and that is the most upsetting part to me. My 6 year old daughter actually started to cry because she thought the incident was so unfair (and was intimidated by the uniform).

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't remember the last time I received a parking ticket.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Xavier wrote: whatever your logic is 250 is a lot to pay. The parking situation at work is chaotic and I won't be driving in anytime soon again. I guess I have no option but to dispute. I was hoping for tips in this forum though... :razz:

A fine of $250 might be too low for this offence. Parking in a Fire Route puts the public at risk in the event of an emergency and heavy fines are completely appropriate. However if you talk to the prosecutor before trial it is almost certain that he/she will be willing to negotiate a reduced fine in exchange for a guilty plea. Don't try to float any BS stories about the signs being obstructed by snow banks because they weren't otherwise the tickets would not have been issued.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
shanninder wrote: This morning I got a parking ticket while I was in the car with my children. I remained in the car with my kids while my husband was literally running into the store we were in front of to drop something off. The parking enforcement officer knocked on my window (passenger side) and asked me to buy a ticket. I told him that my husband was coming out any second and was literally just running in. The officer was also speaking on his cell phone and wearing sunglasses even though it was overcast and snowing. He said something else that I didn't understand. Because I couldn't see his eyes and he did not appear to be looking in my direction, I asked him if he was speaking to me. I didn't say this in a belligerent tone and was nothing but polite to him. Without answering, the officer went to the back of my vehicle and began to give me a ticket. I immediately opened my door and said "wait, i'll buy a parking ticket" and as i was getting money he put the infraction ticket on my windshield and said "I only ask once" and quickly walked off. THe incident took less than one minute and my husband returned as the officer was walking away! I have two questions:

I'd like to know if I was technically parked. I was in the vehicle with my children and was not getting out of the car. I have lived in Toronto for over 10 years and this has never garnered me a ticket before. I would have said we were stopped and not parked as I never left the vehicle and the extent of our time stopped was approximately 3 mins. I am opposed to idling b/c of the environment (and also the infraction that would bring!)

Secondly, Do I have any recourse for his rudeness? I found this person incredibly abrupt and rude and that is the most upsetting part to me. My 6 year old daughter actually started to cry because she thought the incident was so unfair (and was intimidated by the uniform).

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't remember the last time I received a parking ticket.

here is the definition of prohibited parking from Highway Traffic Act:
“park” or “parking”, when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers; (“stationnement”)
so the fact that you did not leave the car did not mean that you did not park
re rudeness, why do you think they call them parking nazis?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
shopmenow wrote: Interesting thread. I just got a notice of conviction for parking at 700 Gerrad Street East on Jan 16. Well problem is my car was in Richmond Hill at the time. So I have no idea how the person got my plates and description of vehicle? Anyone else had this happen to them? I'm thinking this particular officer takes down random plates and then issues tickets while sitting at home to meet a quota. I went to the parking office and they told me to go to court which I filed for or else I would be convicted.

But does anyone have nay suggestions as to what else I could do?

The PEO "takes down random plates and then issues tickets while sitting at home to meet a quota"? That has got to be one of the dumbest things ever said in this thread. The most likely explanation is that your vehicle was present at 700 Gerrard Street when the ticket was issued and you just don't want to accept responsibility. However if you were in fact not there then the probable explanation is that the PEO made a simple mistake when recording the plate on the ticket which is a lot more likely than your "theory".

As for quotas, I read a lot of BS about them in this forum so let me dispel some of the myths. First of all, yes, they do exist, but they are not enforced for the reasons you might think. We are not paid on commission, by piece work or get performance bonuses. We are like any other government employee and get paid a set salary that does not increase or drop according to the number of tickets we issue. We do not issue more tickets just to get overtime in court. Court time is typically scheduled to coincide with our regular duty shifts and as such does not qualify us for overtime. When court time does occasionally fall on our days off, we will get paid overtime but in that respect we are no different than any other full time worker in this country who has to work beyond their regularly scheduled hours. You're entitled to overtime pay when you work extra hours and so are we. The idea that we would issue bogus tickets to fill the quota is just an excuse people give to rationalize their own poor choices. The PEO's who work in Toronto don't have any trouble meeting quota because of the sheer volume of cars in the city. Anybody who spends any time in Toronto can clearly see that there are more illegally parked cars than you can shake stick at and as such they have enough real offenders to keep them busy so that they don't have to make up bogus tickets. Finally, there is not doubt that tickets generate revenue for the city but the PEO's who go out on the streets every day don't give a damn about that. Other than earning our pay cheque, we don't get anything extra for writing more tickets. The quota system is a way to ensure that PEO's are out there performing their assigned duties and not just walking in circles for their whole shift doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
zero_2003 wrote: I got a parking ticket yesterday for $40.

Under the section about my infraction, it says "Code No. 5 - Park signed highway during prohibited (Times/Days)"

The ticket was issued at 9:06 PM.

I parked my car on the street at 9PM and returned at 11PM.

The parking sign clearly allow me to park after 9PM. It says "Pay parking enforced: Mon - Fri 9:30 AM to 9:00PM"

1) Why did I get this ticket?
2) Should I bother fighting it?

What is the exact address where you were ticketed? Did you take pictures? I'm sure you did so please post them. How much do you want to bet I can prove that you were wrong and the PEO was correct to ticket you?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
shanninder wrote: This morning I got a parking ticket while I was in the car with my children. I remained in the car with my kids while my husband was literally running into the store we were in front of to drop something off. The parking enforcement officer knocked on my window (passenger side) and asked me to buy a ticket. I told him that my husband was coming out any second and was literally just running in. The officer was also speaking on his cell phone and wearing sunglasses even though it was overcast and snowing. He said something else that I didn't understand. Because I couldn't see his eyes and he did not appear to be looking in my direction, I asked him if he was speaking to me. I didn't say this in a belligerent tone and was nothing but polite to him. Without answering, the officer went to the back of my vehicle and began to give me a ticket. I immediately opened my door and said "wait, i'll buy a parking ticket" and as i was getting money he put the infraction ticket on my windshield and said "I only ask once" and quickly walked off. THe incident took less than one minute and my husband returned as the officer was walking away! I have two questions:

What makes you entitled to park for free when everybody else has to pay? It doesn't matter if you were in the car or not, whether you said you were stopped instead of parked or whatever other lame excuse you think would have worked, the ticket is valid. As for the POE's demeanour, it's just your opinion that he was rude but why do you think he asked you to pay for parking? He was being nice by giving you a chance to avoid the ticket and instead you made it clear to him that you had no intention of paying for parking as you are required by law to do. He acted accordingly in the face of your refusal to comply with the law so whether you agree with his actions or not, you are still the one who is wrong and he was correct. You can complain all you want but there will be no disciplinary action taken against the PEO just because he didn't, in your opinion, cut you enough of a break even though he clearly by your own admission gave you the option of not being tagged. It was only after it became clear you were going to be ticketed that you decided to comply. Too little, too late and I guarantee if you try to fight this the PEO's evidence will reflect that he gave you the opportunity to pay but you refused.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7534 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Fox1971 wrote: What makes you entitled to park for free when everybody else has to pay? It doesn't matter if you were in the car or not, whether you said you were stopped instead of parked or whatever other lame excuse you think would have worked, the ticket is valid. As for the POE's demeanour, it's just your opinion that he was rude but why do you think he asked you to pay for parking? He was being nice by giving you a chance to avoid the ticket and instead you made it clear to him that you had no intention of paying for parking as you are required by law to do. He acted accordingly in the face of your refusal to comply with the law so whether you agree with his actions or not, you are still the one who is wrong and he was correct. You can complain all you want but there will be no disciplinary action taken against the PEO just because he didn't, in your opinion, cut you enough of a break even though he clearly by your own admission gave you the option of not being tagged. It was only after it became clear you were going to be ticketed that you decided to comply. Too little, too late and I guarantee if you try to fight this the PEO's evidence will reflect that he gave you the opportunity to pay but you refused.

You know, sometimes I value what you have to add to this site...and sometimes I think you're a complete a-hole. There's something called compassion and empathy...and if not that, then just a proper way of speaking to people without your supremely condescending attitude. If you're here to provide advice, then provide it, but check your snarky holier than thou attitude at the door.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: here is the definition of prohibited parking from Highway Traffic Act:
She wasn't ticketed for a "No Parking" so your HTA quote is irrelevant but thanks for coming out. The ticket would have been for not paying for parking which is a completely different offence.
vero95 wrote: so the fact that you did not leave the car did not mean that you did not park
At least you got that one right. By accident, not by design.
vero95 wrote: re rudeness, why do you think they call them parking nazis?

Because "they" have no idea what a real Nazi was and if they did, they should be ashamed of making that analogy. A PEO is simply a law enforcement officer. A Nazi is a member of a German political party that instituted an official policy of anti-Semitism and attempted the genocide of just about anybody they decided didn't fit their definition of a proper Aryan. Millions of people, mostly Jews, died at the hands of the Nazis in their quest for world domination and racial purity. That is just a little more than rude and it is offensive of you to trivialize that for the sake of your extremely unfunny comments.