Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Jun 8, 2010
7 posts
whitby
Thanks vero95, I phoned the Tags line and went through the automatic phone stuff and the Court Date has yet to be assigned......should I just let it go longer and see where it leads to...what is a good timeframe that this could get tossed? I do have a defense that the machine I was using was not accepting the dimes I had which that was all the change I had, was 6 dimes none were accepted in machine, which I stated in a earlier post back in 2009, I had to duck into a store to make change, put money in the meter whet back to the car and a ticket was on the windshield...ticket time was 12:12 my purchase time was 12:16, PKE officer referenced a stub on my dash from futher down Bloor St West which expired at 12:02
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
pfs67 wrote: Thanks vero95, I phoned the Tags line and went through the automatic phone stuff and the Court Date has yet to be assigned......should I just let it go longer and see where it leads to...what is a good timeframe that this could get tossed? I do have a defense that the machine I was using was not accepting the dimes I had which that was all the change I had, was 6 dimes none were accepted in machine, which I stated in a earlier post back in 2009, I had to duck into a store to make change, put money in the meter whet back to the car and a ticket was on the windshield...ticket time was 12:12 my purchase time was 12:16, PKE officer referenced a stub on my dash from futher down Bloor St West which expired at 12:02

you need to wait for the trial day. for the traffic tickets 12 months is enough to apply for chapter 11b
search many posts about chapter 11b defence on this forum. here is one:
another-successful-section-11-b-argument-799503/
it's good that you called and inquired. it may be useful to keep the date and time to show that you were interested in the speedy trial

what I am trying to tell you is you have an additional option to not even go to the trial. if your chapter 11b application is refused, you will still have your trial
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1267 posts
47 upvotes
How does parking on a court type street (shaped like a key) work? Are you allowed to park anywhere along the perimeter as long as you don't obstruct a driveway? Along the circle area though seems to cause space problems for example if there are cars all along the perimeter.

I've seen instances of cars parking right in the middle of the circle because it seems to be the least intrusive in terms of blocking people from getting in/out but I believe this is illegal.

Here's a (very bad) picture representation:

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/courtg.jpg/

The green lines are driveways.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was actually called a cul-de-sac.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Macross_Freek wrote: How does parking on a court type street (shaped like a key) work? Are you allowed to park anywhere along the perimeter as long as you don't obstruct a driveway? Along the circle area though seems to cause space problems for example if there are cars all along the perimeter.

I've seen instances of cars parking right in the middle of the circle because it seems to be the least intrusive in terms of blocking people from getting in/out but I believe this is illegal.

Here's a (very bad) picture representation:

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/courtg.jpg/

The green lines are driveways.

According to the Driver's Handbook, see below, and the municipal by-laws vehicles should be parked parallel to and no more than 30cm from the raised curb. Parking in the middle of the cul-de-sac is a clear violation of this and can be a dangerous obstruction to emergency personnel who may need to gain clear access to addresses at the end of the street and impede their ability to position rescue equipment effectively. This is an offence that can be enforced immediately without any complaint being called in to the city.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .8.4.shtml
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
FFfff, I have a court date scheduled for some time this month (I actually think it's tomorrow), but I lost the letter they sent me with the date. I've also lost my original parking ticket. I know I should call first, but it's 12:40am and there's no one else to ask about this. I'm in the middle of finals, so if the court date is this week I won't be able to make it. What can I do??? Can I just call them to cancel the trial and pay the fine? :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Free Willy wrote: FFfff, I have a court date scheduled for some time this month (I actually think it's tomorrow), but I lost the letter they sent me with the date. I've also lost my original parking ticket. I know I should call first, but it's 12:40am and there's no one else to ask about this. I'm in the middle of finals, so if the court date is this week I won't be able to make it. What can I do??? Can I just call them to cancel the trial and pay the fine? :facepalm:

You can pay the fine but it is probably too late to cancel the trial. Go to one of the Parking Tag Operations offices and they can help you sort this out.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Fox1971 wrote: You can pay the fine but it is probably too late to cancel the trial. Go to one of the Parking Tag Operations offices and they can help you sort this out.
That's sort of good to know, thanks. I've been trying to get someone on the phone at the Parking Tag offices and their system apparently doesn't put you on hold when the reps are busy -- it simply hangs up on you. Ugh, I don't live in Toronto. If I had time to visit a P Tag office, I'd simply go to my trial. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
pfs67 wrote: Thanks vero95, I phoned the Tags line and went through the automatic phone stuff and the Court Date has yet to be assigned......should I just let it go longer and see where it leads to...what is a good timeframe that this could get tossed? I do have a defense that the machine I was using was not accepting the dimes I had which that was all the change I had, was 6 dimes none were accepted in machine, which I stated in a earlier post back in 2009, I had to duck into a store to make change, put money in the meter whet back to the car and a ticket was on the windshield...ticket time was 12:12 my purchase time was 12:16, PKE officer referenced a stub on my dash from futher down Bloor St West which expired at 12:02

Keep waiting ....I have no idea how the city organizes these tickets and trial dates. I already went to court for a ticket I got in May 2010, and I just received a court date for a ticket that I got in Nov 2009 scheduled for Nov 2011.
Jun 8, 2010
7 posts
whitby
Now, will you use the Chapter 11b- right to a speedy trial, If so how do you go about it?
Thanks
Apr 30, 2009
348 posts
28 upvotes
I was waiting in my car for my wife to arrive.Meanwhile the building security guy came and said hes going to give me a 25$ parking ticket for parking the vehicle on fire route.I told him i will leave in 2-5 mts .He started yelling and said m going to get the ticket and walked away.Mean while my wife came and we left the place.
Can he actually issue a ticket?

bmgraphix wrote: DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE BECOME REALLY BUSY WITH SCHOOL I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS , SORRY ABOUT THAT, THERE SHOULD BE MORE THEN ENOUGH INFORMATION TO COVER ALL SCENARIOS.

Hey guys

I saw a lot of questions regarding parking tickets in Toronto, and thought I would make one convenient thread. I use to work for the City Parking Tag office and pretty much know everything there is to know about parking tickets and thought I lend myself to help the RFD Community.

FYI this is only for TORONTO parking tickets, not MISSISAUGA OR BRAMPTON, JUST THE GTA

Disclaimer: The process and information may change over time, use at your own discretion.

Some BASIC information.

PARKING TICKET PROCESS

1) Once you get that yellow ticket on your windshield (For example $30 ticket), you have exactly 15 days to pay the ticket or go to court.
2) Once the ticket has passed 15 days you will be sent a "Notice of IMPENDING Conviction� and the cost of the ticket is still the same ($30). Once you receive that you will have another 15 days to pay the ticket or send it for court.
3) Once the due date has been reached you will then receive a �Notice of FINE and DUE DATE� which means you have been convicted and it is too late to send to court. At this time they charge you an additional $16 in court fees (Eg. the $30 ticket is now $46). You will now have an additional 30 days to pay for the ticket.
[INDENT]a) If you still want to take it to court you have to go see a JP(Justice of the Peace) to reopen the case, in which he may or may not grant a reopening.[/INDENT]4) If you ignore that notice and do not pay for your ticket after you have been convicted and after the 30 days, the ticket is then forward to the MTO(Ministry of Transportation) in which they add their charge of $20 (eg. The $30 ticket -> $46-> $66 that is due) When is sent to the ministry you have three options
[INDENT]a) go to the ministry and pay the fine off as soon as you can
b) don�t pay the fine until you need to get your sticker renewed as the ticket will not increase any more
c) go to the parking office, request a print out($1/ticket) and then see the JP and request a reopening, which he may or may not grant[/INDENT].
5) When it is forwarded to the ministry, it will stay there until you need a sticker renewal for your car, at that time the ministry will ask for any outstanding parking tickets. If for whatever reason you do not need the sticker renewed, after about 2 years it eventually gets forwarded to collections.

COURT

To file a court date you have to appear in person to any of the Parking Tag Offices. Grab court document and fill out the former with the owners information. If you don't own the car but got the ticket you still have to put the owners information on top and put your name as the agent at the bottom. Not matter what they will get the notice for court.

When filling out the form, the question relating whether you want to challenge the officer's evidence, you should check yes , unless you are pleading guilty. It does not hurt for him to be there, but it may hurt if hes not there as if you challenge his word with a judge and you requested him to not be there then you will lose your case. If you check yes it is always better as if the officer does not show up you automatically win the case.

Court dates take anywhere between 6-8 months on average to recieve a court date. I have seen it where people have been waiting for more then 2 years, its just a process, but rest assured its not going away you will evenutally get your court date.

Make sure that if you move address after you set the court date to return to the office and change your address as it will not automatically update and you could potentially miss a court date.

Once you have set a court date you have up until the day before your trial to return to the office and pay off the ticket without going to court.

If you missed your court date, then you will be convicted and charged an additional $12.75 on top of your ticket.

If you cannot attend your court then you have upto 10 business days prior to the date to go to the office and file a motion to change the date.

If you cannot attend your court then you can send any representative over the age of 16 to attend for you.

There is ONLY DAY COURT there is NO night court.

SOME FACTS AND MISCONCEPTIONS

FACT � DON�T ignore parking tickets cause they will never go away, they will catch up to you eventually and usually a high price to pay.
FACT � Parking tickets NEVER affect your insurance
FACT � IF the officer issues you the ticket and doesn�t put it on your windshield, because you drove away, you are still going to get the ticket, it will be sent as a Notice of Impending Conviction, unless the officer decides to cancel it.
FACT � Only a judge can reduce parking tickets, not the parking tag staff.
FACT � Parking tickets can only be cancelled for valid reasons listed in the Cancellation section of this post. No matter how much you think you are innocent, the parking staff cannot cancel your ticket only a judge.

VALID REASON TO CANCEL A TICKET AT PARKING OFFICE

These reasons can be used to cancel tickets at the parking office, if the reason is not listed then it cannot be cancelled at the office, GO TO COURT.

1) The MAKE of your vehicle is incorrect. For example, it says you own a NISSAN, but really you own an INFINITI . Bring your valid ownership to the parking office and they will cancel it for you.
2) Missing Information. If there is any missing information such as PRICE, OFFENCE, OFFICER ID, OFFICER SIGNATURE, then the ticket can be cancelled.
3) HANDICAP sign. If you own a handicap sign you are exempt from certain situations not ALL. You are not exempt from NO PARKING/ NO STOPPING zones, LOADING ZONE. If anyone other then yourself was driving the car without you present.
4) The sticker EXPIRATION DATE stated on the ticket is incorrect, the ticket can be cancelled, bring valid ownership.
5) If you have a GREENP Parking Receipt, valid for the time you received the ticket, your ticket states the following offence then your ticket can be cancelled.
[INDENT]a.FAIL TO DISPLAY RECIEPT
b.FAIL TO DEPOSIT FEE IN THE MACHINE[/INDENT]
If it is any other offence the ticket will NOT be cancelled under any circumstance. For example, NO PARKING/STAND SIGNED PROHIBTED TIMES AND DAY is not a valid cancellation.

GENERAL CONSENSUS WITH PARKING TICKETS

Tickets for $15 under no circumstance should be sent to court. It is an utter waste of time, because the judge will laugh and make you pay the $15 anyways, plus you waste your own time, your wages, parking cost. Not worth it at all.

In my opinion tickets OVER $60 should be sent to court, anything else is simply not worth it as the judge will doc maybe doc half of the ticket off and the cost of fighting the ticket is not worth it.

�PARKING LONGER THAN 3 HOURS � OFFENSE EXPLANATION

This is a $15 ticket that is commonly issued and people have a hard time understanding the meaning of it.

In the CITY OF TORONTO, there is an UNSIGNED (Means no sign) BY LAW that states no vehicle can be parked longer then 3 HOURS on any City of Toronto street.

Parking Enforcement does not go looking around neighbourhoods to give these $15 tickets out, they have better fish to catch, they only issue tickets when SOMEONE complains that there are too many cars on the street.

CONCLUSION

I hope the above information is helpful and provides a base understanding for people with parking tickets. Because of the large amounts of issues that can arise I cannot list them here as this post is already long enough
Jan 7, 2009
2 posts
Toronto
I've had a parking officer give me tickets that were clearly wrong. I purchased temporary street parking permits for my street. This is for the 12am to 7am permit parking. Two tickets said my permit was expired when it was very clearly not. They just didn't bother to check. Another was for parking in the disabled spot next door. Since the old man (who happens to be a friend and laughed about it) always park there at night, there is just no way for this to happen. His car almost never moves. The disabled spot is room for just one car. So what do I have to present to fight these? I asked for trials. I feel like I'm being harassed on my own street. I have the print out of the parking permit, which has the dates. I could ask my neighbor for a written statement? What do you think? Thanks ahead of time!!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
dealbarons wrote: I was waiting in my car for my wife to arrive.Meanwhile the building security guy came and said hes going to give me a 25$ parking ticket for parking the vehicle on fire route.I told him i will leave in 2-5 mts .He started yelling and said m going to get the ticket and walked away.Mean while my wife came and we left the place.
Can he actually issue a ticket?

Fire Routes have one use and one use only: to provide unencumbered access for police, fire and EMS vehicles in the event of emergency. Period. They are NOT to be used as short term parking for even 2-3 minutes while you run errands or wait for passengers. The fine in Toronto for this offence is $250, not $25 and it doesn't matter if you are in the car or not, you can be ticketed. Since you left the location before the security guard returned with his ticket book you will not receive a ticket in the mail. Count your blessings that he didn't get back in time because he had every right to ticket you and it would have been completely legal. Next time wait somewhere else.
Feb 6, 2010
289 posts
95 upvotes
What is the rule on how far my car can pass the pole? Is it before your tire or before the bumper?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blackdrogon wrote: What is the rule on how far my car can pass the pole? Is it before your tire or before the bumper?

I am going to guess that you are trying to find out how much of your vehicle must be in the "No Parking" zone in order to get a ticket? The answer is that at least one third of the total length of the vehicle is all that is required to be in the prohibited area in order for enforcement to be carried out. Tire position has nothing to do with prohibited parking enforcement.
Jan 16, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
hi. i have tried several searches of this thread as well as the whole RFD and googling but cannot get a straight answer to my question, which is:

What is the max enforceable distance of a no-parking sign? i recently got a ticket on a street that i did not see any no-parking or pay meters etc. but ended up getting one. the next day a buddy went down the street and he found a no-parking sign perhaps 50 meters from the car. is one expected to travel such distances to verify signage? any help is appreciated. thanks guys.
Feb 6, 2010
289 posts
95 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: I am going to guess that you are trying to find out how much of your vehicle must be in the "No Parking" zone in order to get a ticket? The answer is that at least one third of the total length of the vehicle is all that is required to be in the prohibited area in order for enforcement to be carried out. Tire position has nothing to do with prohibited parking enforcement.

Thx for the reply

I feel like its such a subjective matter. Should I bother to challenging the $40 ticket? I'm a student so time is not a problem for me.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blackdrogon wrote: Thx for the reply

I feel like its such a subjective matter. Should I bother to challenging the $40 ticket? I'm a student so time is not a problem for me.

Do whatever you feel is right for you. Just know that your odds of winning are very slim.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
expat247 wrote: hi. i have tried several searches of this thread as well as the whole RFD and googling but cannot get a straight answer to my question, which is:

What is the max enforceable distance of a no-parking sign? i recently got a ticket on a street that i did not see any no-parking or pay meters etc. but ended up getting one. the next day a buddy went down the street and he found a no-parking sign perhaps 50 meters from the car. is one expected to travel such distances to verify signage? any help is appreciated. thanks guys.

Where exactly did he receive the ticket?
Feb 6, 2010
289 posts
95 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: Do whatever you feel is right for you. Just know that your odds of winning are very slim.

How much of it will be reduced by the Judge?

Also do you know why the city even bothers to send me into court for only $40 when they have so many other tickets that are above $100? Do they ever call people in for $30 parking tickets? My friend said in his 7 years he's never been called in after submitting a his tickets.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)