Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3246 posts
229 upvotes
blackdrogon wrote: How much of it will be reduced by the Judge?

Also do you know why the city even bothers to send me into court for only $40 when they have so many other tickets that are above $100? Do they ever call people in for $30 parking tickets? My friend said in his 7 years he's never been called in after submitting a his tickets.

I would think because otherwise people would feel like they could just file for a court date to essentially get rid of the ticket.
Feedback: HoFo, RFD
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
blackdrogon wrote: How much of it will be reduced by the Judge?

Also do you know why the city even bothers to send me into court for only $40 when they have so many other tickets that are above $100? Do they ever call people in for $30 parking tickets? My friend said in his 7 years he's never been called in after submitting a his tickets.

are you saying the ticket should be dropped because you want to dispute it? or do you want the government to revoke your right to dispute small tickets? in the latter case, feel free to complain to your MMP
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
blackdrogon wrote: How much of it will be reduced by the Judge?
First of all it is a JP that presides over parking ticket court, not a Judge. Second the JP will generally only reduce the fine at the recommendation of the prosecutor. They don't usually do so on their own initiative. If you make a deal with the prosecution to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced fine, how much of a reduction is up to the prosecutor and there are no regulations about how much it must be. It is completely at the discretion of the prosecutor. The JP is not bound by that recommendation and can reduce or even increase the fine if they so choose but they usually go with the prosecutor.
blackdrogon wrote: Also do you know why the city even bothers to send me into court for only $40 when they have so many other tickets that are above $100?
You don't get sent to court by the city. You only go to court if YOU request a trial. The amount of the fine on the ticket is irrelevant to any court proceeding.
blackdrogon wrote: Do they ever call people in for $30 parking tickets?
Trials for $30 tickets are conducted every single day.
blackdrogon wrote: My friend said in his 7 years he's never been called in after submitting a his tickets.
Then he has been lucky.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
108 upvotes
Vaughan, On
I got a $15 parking ticket for violation of the 3hours rule and another $40 dollars for parking over night. It was a very small road, almost dead ended.

I supposed some ass twat neighbor reported my car.

The point is that I was doing roof working and the roofing company had a big dump truck on my drive way and I have to leave my car on road overnight. Shall I fight it on court with the proof of roofing work(receipt date coincides with tickets date) and explain that the truck prevented me from parking my car on my driveway?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
jian1 wrote: I got a $15 parking ticket for violation of the 3hours rule and another $40 dollars for parking over night. It was a very small road, almost dead ended.

I supposed some ass twat neighbor reported my car.

The point is that I was doing roof working and the roofing company had a big dump truck on my drive way and I have to leave my car on road overnight. Shall I fight it on court with the proof of roofing work(receipt date coincides with tickets date) and explain that the truck prevented me from parking my car on my driveway?

Take your tickets and documentation to one of the Parking Tag Operations offices and speak to them. If they won't cancel the ticket, you can set a date for trial. The prosecutor will probably be willing to negotiate a reduced fine in exchange for a guilty plea. If you are lucky you might get the matter withdrawn or possibly a suspended sentence. I have seen this happen before in similar circumstances. No guarantees but it doesn't hurt to try.

For future reference you can get a temporary consideration to park on the street if you are not able to park in your driveway. Here is the link below.

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/pa ... ns.htm#con
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 2, 2007
32 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I got a ticket earlier this morning for leaving the car at a drop off zone for around 2 mins at UofT Mississauga campus. There were other cars around at the drop off zone but only mine was fined, I believe it was because no one was at the driver's seat. There was someone else in my passenger seat but no has no driver's license. The infraction was "parking on a designated fire route" for $75/$100 based on payment date.

My questions are:
i) Can I dispute the ticket for incorrect information? The make was typed as "Suzi" and my model is a suzuki, is that correct or wrong? (I have never had a ticket before so I don't know if they abbreviate)
ii) Should I just pay the ticket? Is there any way to reduce the fine?

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Ryshi wrote: I got a ticket earlier this morning for leaving the car at a drop off zone for around 2 mins at UofT Mississauga campus. There were other cars around at the drop off zone but only mine was fined, I believe it was because no one was at the driver's seat. There was someone else in my passenger seat but no has no driver's license. The infraction was "parking on a designated fire route" for $75/$100 based on payment date.
Depending on the circumstances we do not typically issue tickets to vehicles when the driver is present even though it is perfectly legal to do so. The fact that you were not at your vehicle is absolutely the reason that you were ticketed in the fire route. We do not ask any passengers to move the vehicle because we have no way of knowing if they have a valid license or are covered under the insurance policy.
Ryshi wrote: My questions are:
i) Can I dispute the ticket for incorrect information? The make was typed as "Suzi" and my model is a suzuki, is that correct or wrong? (I have never had a ticket before so I don't know if they abbreviate)
"Suzi" is just an abbreviation for Suzuki, it is not an error and it is not grounds to dispute the ticket.
Ryshi wrote: ii) Should I just pay the ticket? Is there any way to reduce the fine?
As for a reduction, yes this is possible. You can meet with a first attendance administrator at 950 Burnhamthorpe Road West. Call the number on the back of the ticket to make an appointment. When you meet with him, be polite, be truthful and just explain what happened. The administrator will listen to your side, consult the by-laws and read the officer's notes about the ticket and make a determination based on what he finds.
Ryshi wrote: Thanks
You're welcome.
Newbie
May 11, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out with some advice.

I'm in Toronto. Received a "Parking in fire route" ticket for $250 - parked in front of a condo downtown (not on a street) to go in and get some takeout from a restaurant nearby.
While inside the restaurant I noticed the parking van pulling up to my car so I immediately walked out, went up to the car and assured the parking officer I will move the car right away.
I was pretty much ignored by the officer as he placed the ticket under my wiper and drove away.

I realize that I'm technically at fault, but $250 is a really steep price to pay, so I would like to dispute the charges in the hopes of at least reducing the fine.

So, here are my questions:
1. If I submit my intent to dispute the ticket - do I need to pay it anyways or do I only pay if I'm convicted after the trial?
2. What are my chances in court to either have it dropped or being found not guilty?
3. Any advice on what should I stress in court?

Thanks in advance for help, much appreciated!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
kladan wrote: Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out with some advice.

I'm in Toronto. Received a "Parking in fire route" ticket for $250 - parked in front of a condo downtown (not on a street) to go in and get some takeout from a restaurant nearby.
While inside the restaurant I noticed the parking van pulling up to my car so I immediately walked out, went up to the car and assured the parking officer I will move the car right away.
I was pretty much ignored by the officer as he placed the ticket under my wiper and drove away.

I realize that I'm technically at fault, but $250 is a really steep price to pay, so I would like to dispute the charges in the hopes of at least reducing the fine.

So, here are my questions:
1. If I submit my intent to dispute the ticket - do I need to pay it anyways or do I only pay if I'm convicted after the trial?
2. What are my chances in court to either have it dropped or being found not guilty?
3. Any advice on what should I stress in court?

Thanks in advance for help, much appreciated!

well, you parked illegally. I do not know why people think that if they leave a car and stick around, it's not considered parking. then they think they show up and just because they are near the car and can move the car on demand, it should save them from getting a ticket. if you read that thread carefully, you will find cases when people got tickets even when they were in the car
now, to answer you questions
1. by paying the ticket now you automatically plead guilty
2. if you plead not guilty and request a trial, you will have to pay for the ticket after you are convicted. in your case the chances of winning may be slim if you yourself admit it was your fault. you may win if the officer does not show up in court for the trial though.
you may consider an option to plead guilty in exchange for reduced fine. you will need to talk to the prosecutor and they may simply lower the fine
this site provides some useful info:
http://ticketcombat.com/
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
I think I know the answer to this, but just want to be sure. On statutory holidays, the blue hornets do not work; thus is it fair to assume metered parking is free on these days?
Sr. Member
Oct 29, 2009
652 posts
337 upvotes
I've always wondered, if I come back to my car and my pay/display permit has elapsed and there's a parking parasite there writing me up a ticket. Do I have to wait for him to finish? Can't I just jump in my car and leave? Surely said parking parasite can't hold me there against my will, and if I never received the ticket how can I be expected to pay it?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1811 upvotes
McGuillicuddy wrote: I've always wondered, if I come back to my car and my pay/display permit has elapsed and there's a parking parasite there writing me up a ticket. Do I have to wait for him to finish? Can't I just jump in my car and leave? Surely said parking parasite can't hold me there against my will, and if I never received the ticket how can I be expected to pay it?

they may mail it to you or you will need to pay for it when trying to get the sticker
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1679 posts
468 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got a ticket for: Code No. 5, Park signed highway during prohibited (time/days), contrary to bylaw or code of Metro Toronto. There's nothing in the comments section. Does this mean what it states, ie I parked in an area during a time where parking is disallowed? I checked the sign beside my car and it showed no parking between 9 - 12 and 4-8 or something like that, but I was quite certain that the time stamped on the ticket was not among the prohibited time. I still have my green parking slip.

Could it mean anything else? I did notice a portion of my car was behind the sign that said no parking.

Oh yeah, I went to my car two minutes after the ticket was issued, talk about bad timing.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
wolverine07 wrote: I think I know the answer to this, but just want to be sure. On statutory holidays, the blue hornets do not work; thus is it fair to assume metered parking is free on these days?

Parking enforcement officers work 365 days a year including statutory holidays but Pay & Display and metered parking is free on those days. All other parking laws apply and will be enforced.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
kladan wrote: Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out with some advice.

I'm in Toronto. Received a "Parking in fire route" ticket for $250 - parked in front of a condo downtown (not on a street) to go in and get some takeout from a restaurant nearby.
While inside the restaurant I noticed the parking van pulling up to my car so I immediately walked out, went up to the car and assured the parking officer I will move the car right away.
I was pretty much ignored by the officer as he placed the ticket under my wiper and drove away.
The PEO is not required to stop issuing the ticket just because you offer to move the car. Parking in a fire route is a public safety concern and your selfish decision to put the others at risk just so that you could get take out food was a poor one. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get towed.
kladan wrote: I realize that I'm technically at fault, but $250 is a really steep price to pay, so I would like to dispute the charges in the hopes of at least reducing the fine.
You were not technically at fault, you were completely at fault. You clearly violated the law and were charged accordingly.
kladan wrote: So, here are my questions:
1. If I submit my intent to dispute the ticket - do I need to pay it anyways or do I only pay if I'm convicted after the trial?
You only have to pay after you are convicted.
kladan wrote: 2. What are my chances in court to either have it dropped or being found not guilty?
Almost zero.
kladan wrote: 3. Any advice on what should I stress in court?
The truth. Anything else would be perjury.
kladan wrote: Thanks in advance for help, much appreciated!
You're welcome. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
McGuillicuddy wrote: I've always wondered, if I come back to my car and my pay/display permit has elapsed and there's a parking parasite there writing me up a ticket. Do I have to wait for him to finish? Can't I just jump in my car and leave? Surely said parking parasite can't hold me there against my will, and if I never received the ticket how can I be expected to pay it?

You do not have to stand by and wait for the ticket to be issued but you are still expected to drive away in a manner that is safe and conforms with the HTA. If you fail to do so and anyone is injured or damage is caused in your attempt to escape the "parking parasite" you could find yourself with much bigger problems than just a parking ticket. In any case it only takes about 8-10 seconds to issue a parking ticket with the handheld ticketing computers that the PEO's use these days so it is unlikely that you would be able to enter your vehicle, start the engine, put it in gear and drive away before the ticket is served. Many cities, including Toronto, are also exploring the possibility of petitioning the province to streamline the process to mail tickets to "drive-aways" that would include the set fine plus additional administrative fees. Currently the law does allow for parking tickets to be served to registered owners at home via the Provincial Offences Act Part III but it is a cumbersome and involved process that is hardly worth the effort.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
whatsinaname wrote: I got a ticket for: Code No. 5, Park signed highway during prohibited (time/days), contrary to bylaw or code of Metro Toronto. There's nothing in the comments section. Does this mean what it states, ie I parked in an area during a time where parking is disallowed?
It means that at least one third of the total length of the vehicle was parked in the prohibited parking area. There is no time restriction noted in the comments section because at the location you were ticketed it is enforced 24/7.
whatsinaname wrote: I checked the sign beside my car and it showed no parking between 9 - 12 and 4-8 or something like that, but I was quite certain that the time stamped on the ticket was not among the prohibited time. I still have my green parking slip.
That was the Pay & Display parking sign you were looking at that tells you when you must pay for parking. It doesn't matter if you still have your parking receipt because you can't pay to park in a No Parking zone. The time restrictions are to accommodate the rush hour traffic and are reflected on the No Stopping signs that would also have been posted there.
whatsinaname wrote: Could it mean anything else? I did notice a portion of my car was behind the sign that said no parking.
That is exactly why you were ticketed. At least 1/3 of your vehicle was in the prohibited parking zone. I guarantee if you looked at the signs you would have seen something like this like I have posted below.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 3,,2,-4.98
whatsinaname wrote: Oh yeah, I went to my car two minutes after the ticket was issued, talk about bad timing.
Bad timing for you, not the PEO.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
165 upvotes
GTA
Fox1971 wrote: Parking enforcement officers work 365 days a year including statutory holidays but Pay & Display and metered parking is free on those days. All other parking laws apply and will be enforced.

I didn't know the they worked 365 days a year, that's tough, even retail and restaurants are closed on stat days usually. We did park on Cumberland on Easter and did some shopping when everything was closed except a few stores on Bloor/Yorkville, no ticket.

Top