Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
aokec wrote: If you have parking tickets being contested ie no court date booked yet, if you sell your car, will it show up on the MoT history?
Parking tickets are forwarded to the MTO only after a guilty verdict has been rendered, the fine has not been paid and no response has been received from the registered owner. Once defaulted fines have been forwarded to the MTO they will remain on record until they are paid regardless of what vehicles you own. All unpaid fines must be paid before any new license plates or validation stickers will be issued.
aokec wrote: Also, there's some service that charges a fee for registering your court date for you so you don't have to show up. Is it worth it?
You are the only person who can answer that question.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2300 posts
131 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: Parking tickets are forwarded to the MTO only after a guilty verdict has been rendered, the fine has not been paid and no response has been received from the registered owner. Once defaulted fines have been forwarded to the MTO they will remain on record until they are paid regardless of what vehicles you own. All unpaid fines must be paid before any new license plates or validation stickers will be issued.



You are the only person who can answer that question.

So basically, if a parking ticket is pending court date (not issued yet), the vehicle can be sold without the parking ticket being registered on the history yet?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
aokec wrote: So basically, if a parking ticket is pending court date (not issued yet), the vehicle can be sold without the parking ticket being registered on the history yet?

If you are hoping that the ticket will just disappear if you sell the car fast enough...forget it. The ticket is attached to the registered owner via the plate, not the vehicle and you will get your date for trial. If you are convicted and don't pay the ticket it will be forwarded to the MTO and you will not only be responsible for the set fine but additional administrative fees that can make the amount owing double. Selling the vehicle will change nothing.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17121 posts
4582 upvotes
got a $40 parking ticket last weekend during TO Door Open..

question:
1. Where is the court if I prefer to fight? I live in RH but got the ticket in downtown TO
2. For $40, if I please guilty at the court and will the judge lower the fine? How likely?

Thank you.
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 26, 2010
893 posts
153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got a york region parking ticket for parking in a disable parking space at richmond hill central library. Basically i was idling my car (1-2mins max) waiting to pick up my sister and my car was partially in the disable spot. The ticketing officer didn't give me a chance to move and just quickly gave me a ticket for $300.

So, I was wondering what my next step should be, either
A) Plead Guilty with an Explanation, hoping to reduce the fine.
B)Scheduling an Appointment. (This is called a First Attendance hearing)

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 19, 2005
16161 posts
773 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
oh yeah, I forgot to mention last week or so I went to court for a $30 parking ticket that happened back in 2009 and won!

always challenge, you can't lose! Unless you actually did commit a parking offence
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2005
651 posts
235 upvotes
I got a parking ticket few weeks ago and I paid it off right away within few hours. Now I get a letter in mail saying I did not pay - turns out that I accidently paid somebody elses ticket (ticket number was off by one). I guess I have to pay again? Any other options?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17121 posts
4582 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: oh yeah, I forgot to mention last week or so I went to court for a $30 parking ticket that happened back in 2009 and won!

always challenge, you can't lose! Unless you actually did commit a parking offence

wow...2009? have to wait so long? so what is your ground to defence yourself? mind share?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sr. Member
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
Hey guys with regards to fire hydrants, does the 3 meter rule concern the distance from the car to the curb that is parallel to the hydrant OR the distance from the car to the actual fire hydrant? I got a ticket but the measured distance from the curb, where my car was parked, to the fire hydrant was 4.6 meters. (yes, I measured it). If it is the latter, shouldn't the parking officer actually measure instead of guessing the actual distance?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
lear wrote: Hey guys with regards to fire hydrants, does the 3 meter rule concern the distance from the car to the curb that is parallel to the hydrant OR the distance from the car to the actual fire hydrant? I got a ticket but the measured distance from the curb, where my car was parked, to the fire hydrant was 4.6 meters. (yes, I measured it). If it is the latter, shouldn't the parking officer actually measure instead of guessing the actual distance?

it's the first
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
kiasu wrote: got a $40 parking ticket last weekend during TO Door Open..

question:
1. Where is the court if I prefer to fight? I live in RH but got the ticket in downtown TO
2. For $40, if I please guilty at the court and will the judge lower the fine? How likely?

Thank you.

quite likely to get it reduced if you change your plea to guilty
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
RedLego wrote: I got a york region parking ticket for parking in a disable parking space at richmond hill central library. Basically i was idling my car (1-2mins max) waiting to pick up my sister and my car was partially in the disable spot. The ticketing officer didn't give me a chance to move and just quickly gave me a ticket for $300.

So, I was wondering what my next step should be, either
A) Plead Guilty with an Explanation, hoping to reduce the fine.
B)Scheduling an Appointment. (This is called a First Attendance hearing)

Thanks

to get it reduced you need to plead not guilty
the PEO did not have to give you a chance to drive away. even if you are in a vehicle, it means you parked the car so the ticket is legit
check this site: www.ticketcombat.com
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
__wizard__ wrote: I got a parking ticket few weeks ago and I paid it off right away within few hours. Now I get a letter in mail saying I did not pay - turns out that I accidently paid somebody elses ticket (ticket number was off by one). I guess I have to pay again? Any other options?

When you paid, you should have gotten a receipt with the parking ticket number on it. If you attend one of the Parking Tag Operations offices with the receipt and the letter they should be able to help you sort it out. And before you ask, no, you won't be able to do this over the telephone.

http://www.toronto.ca/pay-toronto-ticke ... person.htm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: got a $40 parking ticket last weekend during TO Door Open..

question:
1. Where is the court if I prefer to fight? I live in RH but got the ticket in downtown TO
The court where your trial will be conducted is determined by where you received your ticket. You'll receive a Notice of Trial with the address. And before you ask, no, you can't request to have the trial held in Richmond Hill. The ticket was issued in Toronto and the trial must also be held in Toronto.
kiasu wrote: 2. For $40, if I please guilty at the court and will the judge lower the fine? How likely?
First of all it is a Justice of the Peace that presides over Provincial Offences court, not a Judge. Second, if you make a deal with the prosecutor to plead guilty in exchange for a reduced fine the JP will typically accept the sentence recommendation even though they are not bound to do so. The amount of the reduction is up to the prosecutor and you'll just have to find out when you arrive in court.
kiasu wrote: Thank you.
You're welcome.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
RedLego wrote: I got a york region parking ticket for parking in a disable parking space at richmond hill central library. Basically i was idling my car (1-2mins max) waiting to pick up my sister and my car was partially in the disable spot. The ticketing officer didn't give me a chance to move and just quickly gave me a ticket for $300.

So, I was wondering what my next step should be, either
A) Plead Guilty with an Explanation, hoping to reduce the fine.
B)Scheduling an Appointment. (This is called a First Attendance hearing)

Thanks

Answered in the other thread you created about this incident.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
lear wrote: Hey guys with regards to fire hydrants, does the 3 meter rule concern the distance from the car to the curb that is parallel to the hydrant OR the distance from the car to the actual fire hydrant? I got a ticket but the measured distance from the curb, where my car was parked, to the fire hydrant was 4.6 meters. (yes, I measured it). If it is the latter, shouldn't the parking officer actually measure instead of guessing the actual distance?

The enforceable area is measured from the point at the curb or edge of the road directly in front of the hydrant for 3 meters to the left and 3 meters to the right along the curb or edge of the road for a total enforceable area of 6 meters. It does not matter how far back from the curb or edge of the road the hydrant is placed or what the actual straight-line distance from the hydrant to the vehicle is. Typically I only enforce this offence if some portion of the vehicle is directly blocking the hydrant but if the vehicle is not directly blocking the hydrant but is still in violation, we will use a tape measure to get a precise distance. We don't guess at that sort of thing. Here is an image I found that clearly illustrates how the 3 meter distance is measured.

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... ydrant.gif[/IMG]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: oh yeah, I forgot to mention last week or so I went to court for a $30 parking ticket that happened back in 2009 and won!

always challenge, you can't lose! Unless you actually did commit a parking offence

Actually you can lose and most of the time you will lose.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1257 posts
442 upvotes
Oakville, ON
This isn't specifically for Toronto, but from Oakville, which is in the GTA... So two weeks ago I got a parking ticket for parking in front of my gf's house. There is a by-law for parking >4hrs on the road. The thing is the town of Oakville has a call in system, where you can call in for parking consideration. I did call in that night. But I still got the ticket.

I called the town of Oakville and they said that they had no record of my call. Obviously I can present my phone records from Rogers (cell phone) to show that I did call the number. So do I have to go to city/town hall to fill out paperwork that I want to fight the ticket? Or do I wait a few weeks until my next bill comes out and I can send proof to the Town and have the ticket withdrawn?

The ticket says I have 15 days to pay or plead not guilty. Getting access to my phone records will take longer than the 15 days.

What to do?
Sr. Member
Sep 1, 2005
651 posts
235 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: When you paid, you should have gotten a receipt with the parking ticket number on it. If you attend one of the Parking Tag Operations offices with the receipt and the letter they should be able to help you sort it out. And before you ask, no, you won't be able to do this over the telephone.

http://www.toronto.ca/pay-toronto-ticke ... person.htm

Thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
richuwo11 wrote: This isn't specifically for Toronto, but from Oakville, which is in the GTA... So two weeks ago I got a parking ticket for parking in front of my gf's house. There is a by-law for parking >4hrs on the road. The thing is the town of Oakville has a call in system, where you can call in for parking consideration. I did call in that night. But I still got the ticket.

I called the town of Oakville and they said that they had no record of my call. Obviously I can present my phone records from Rogers (cell phone) to show that I did call the number. So do I have to go to city/town hall to fill out paperwork that I want to fight the ticket? Or do I wait a few weeks until my next bill comes out and I can send proof to the Town and have the ticket withdrawn?

The ticket says I have 15 days to pay or plead not guilty. Getting access to my phone records will take longer than the 15 days.

What to do?

What will your telephone bill prove? Only that you called but not that you provided the required information in order for the consideration to be validated. Did you get a tracking number of some sort? If you did then they should be able to track the call. If not, you are SOL.

Top