Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1240 posts
423 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Fox1971 wrote: What will your telephone bill prove? Only that you called but not that you provided the required information in order for the consideration to be validated. Did you get a tracking number of some sort? If you did then they should be able to track the call. If not, you are SOL.

It will prove that I called, which they say "they have no record of any call", which is incorrect. The length of the call would also indicate that I didn't just call and hang up. I gave the correct information, I've done it a hundred times. What would a tracking number do? As far as I know, I can't obtain a voice recording of my call, so there are no other options for proof.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
richuwo11 wrote: It will prove that I called, which they say "they have no record of any call", which is incorrect. The length of the call would also indicate that I didn't just call and hang up. I gave the correct information, I've done it a hundred times. What would a tracking number do? As far as I know, I can't obtain a voice recording of my call, so there are no other options for proof.

All I am saying is that your phone bill isn't actually proof of anything except that a telephone call was made. Whomever you speak to about this matter may or may not accept that as proof if they don't have any record on their end. As for the tracking number, most cities have a system in place so that when parking considerations are given, the caller gets a tracking number to use as a "receipt" of sorts for circumstances just like yours. I'm surprised that Oakville doesn't have something similar. Good luck but don't get your hopes up.
Jan 4, 2009
118 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I came across this in today's Toronto Star (June 16th 2011)
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/101 ... flaws?bn=1

The City of Toronto is considering hiring a company to chase down out of province drivers with unpaid parking tickets. What's interesting is the following line in the article:

"The city is seeking to sign only a one-year contract with a company, with a city option to renew for additional years if all goes well."

So it sounds like if this one year pilot project is not considered successful they could drop it anyway.

City takes aim at out-of-province parking scofflaws
Daniel Dale
Urban Affairs Reporter

Toronto’s No Parking signs might as well include a fine-print caveat: “Unless You Happen To Be An American Or Albertan Or Quebecer.”

The city government, like every other city government in Ontario, has no way to pursue out-of-province ignorers of parking rules. And the rule-ignorers know it: about 90 per cent of them decline to pay their Toronto tickets. Their impunity costs the city more than $3 million per year.

Following the lead of the for-profit 407 toll highway, the cash-strapped city is now attempting to lay down the law. If the price is right, the parking department will hire a company to find the home addresses of out-of-province scofflaws beginning in the fall. That will allow a collections agency to pester them.

“This is more about bringing fairness into the system more than the money,” said manager of parking operations Anthony Fabrizi.

The city issued about 2.8 million parking tickets in 2010. It collected on about 80 per cent of them. But of 115,000 tickets issued to people with out-of-province plates, only about 11,500 were paid — a 10 per cent collection rate.

When Ontario drivers are ticketed, the provincial government sends the city their home addresses within a day. But when out-of-province drivers are ticketed, the city has no access to their addresses. With no real prospect of collection, it usually has to cancel the ticket.

The problem is not specific to Toronto, or to parking tickets. The Ontario government loses millions every year to out-of-province speeding ticket scofflaws.

Fabrizi said he believes the use of outside companies to collect address information has been successful for the 407. He said, however, that he is not certain of its success in Toronto. The city is seeking to sign only a one-year contract with a company, with a city option to renew for additional years if all goes well.

“We’re testing the waters with this model,” he said. “Conceivably we can get all of this information and then nobody pays us.”

As of 2009, more than half of out-of-province parking violators were from Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, New York, Michigan and Florida.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/101 ... st-you?bn=

"Each year the city issues about 2.8 million parking tickets to individuals and businesses. About 307,000 go to trial, with some drivers believing they are innocent and others hoping for a reduced fine or no-show by the officer.

Most motorists who go to trial are convicted and justices of the peace give most of them a break — on average slashing the cost on the ticket in half."

I've got a ticket for $60.. and paid for towing of $180. I'm fighting the ticket (most bc the tow is outrageous). I was advised that if I'm found not guilty that I'll have the tow portion refunded.

Does anyone know what I can expect to pay when I go to trial? (i.e. like how most speeders are given the option of pleading guilty to 15 over paying a fine, and not getting any points).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/101 ... st-you?bn=

"Each year the city issues about 2.8 million parking tickets to individuals and businesses. About 307,000 go to trial, with some drivers believing they are innocent and others hoping for a reduced fine or no-show by the officer.

Most motorists who go to trial are convicted and justices of the peace give most of them a break — on average slashing the cost on the ticket in half."

I've got a ticket for $60.. and paid for towing of $180. I'm fighting the ticket (most bc the tow is outrageous). I was advised that if I'm found not guilty that I'll have the tow portion refunded.

Does anyone know what I can expect to pay when I go to trial? (i.e. like how most speeders are given the option of pleading guilty to 15 over paying a fine, and not getting any points).

Once again the Toronto Star gets their facts wrong. Motorists who go to trial and are convicted will not likely get a break from the JP and will be on the hook for the full amount of the fine plus court costs. They will not have their fines reduced by half. Any reduction will only come from pleading guilty to the charge and saving the prosecutor the trouble of conducting a trial. And the amount of that reduction is up to whatever the prosecutor decides to offer and what the JP accepts. It will not automatically be a 50% reduction.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2942 posts
1632 upvotes
When did the cost for parking in a no-parking area go from $30 to $40?

I didn't buy a $23 permit because I was told on the phone the ticket was only $30!
Oct 6, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
I've got a $30 parking ticket for parking on a private property without consent
when I actually have the $165 monthly parking permit on that property.
It seems that the ticket on the dashboard slided towards the front side of the dashboard
and was not shown clearly. It was still legible and visible when I took a closer look.
I was given two options:
1) Go to court
2) Pay the $30
According to their rule book it seems the ticket has to be properly displayed.
I do not agree with their decision but I have no evidence that it was properly displayed.
How likely am I to win the case?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
RubberCheese wrote: When did the cost for parking in a no-parking area go from $30 to $40?

I didn't buy a $23 permit because I was told on the phone the ticket was only $30!

When you spoke to the person on the phone you were asking about permit parking and I bet you wanted to know what the fine would be if you didn't buy a permit, right? They appropriately quoted you the fine of $30 which would be proper for Offence #29 "Park Permit Parking Location Without a Valid Permit". The fact that you got a $40 ticket means that you were probably charged with Offence #5 "Parked Signed Highway During Prohibited Times/Days" and it wouldn't have mattered if you did have a permit because you left your vehicle where you shouldn't have. I suspect that you parked at the end of a row of cars on the street and some portion of your vehicle, at least 1/3 of the total length, was in the posted "No Parking" area and permit or not, you can't park there.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
LaCreme wrote: I've got a $30 parking ticket for parking on a private property without consent
when I actually have the $165 monthly parking permit on that property.
It seems that the ticket on the dashboard slided towards the front side of the dashboard
and was not shown clearly. It was still legible and visible when I took a closer look.
I was given two options:
1) Go to court
2) Pay the $30
According to their rule book it seems the ticket has to be properly displayed.
I do not agree with their decision but I have no evidence that it was properly displayed.
How likely am I to win the case?

Failing to properly display a permit is a completely valid reason to receive a private property ticket. By your own admission it was not "shown clearly" and it is your responsibility to ensure that your permit is properly displayed and clearly visible before leaving your vehicle. The PEO shouldn't have to search for it. If you go to court and plead guilty the prosecutor will almost certainly offer to accept a reduced fine.
Jul 20, 2007
3 posts
Ottawa Ontario Canad…
Hello people,

I've just moved from Ottawa into a condo in Scarborough since last Saturday. When I returned on Sunday at around 10 pm to the underground parking garage, there was a New York plate vehicle parked on my spot. Since the condo's superintendent didn't work during weekends, I didn't know who to call or what to do because I've never lived in a condo or an apartment. It was quite empty all around at the time so I parked my car in the parking spot right next to this vehicle thinking that I will just have to move my car Monday morning and will leave a note on that new york plated vehicle to ask the owner to move out. As you may have guessed when I walked to my car on Monday morning I saw a note from the owner of that parking lot asking me to move my car out, a yellow parking ticket of $250, and some physical scratch and dirt on my car's front hood.

I spoke about my experience to the condo's superintendent right away, who showed compassion and ask to have my parking ticket so he could call cops to find out what was the deal. Since Monday was still a holiday he was to give me feedback on Tuesday. I agreed and gave him my ticket. Today morning when I saw him he told me that he knew this cop who is his buddy. As a favor to the superintendent this cop can cancel the ticket on the computer located in a Toronto downtown police station. (Strangely the superintendent said that's the only place the ticket can be canceled, not from any other computers from other police station branches.) The cop will do this if he can be paid $50 gas money for driving to there. I told the superintendent that I thought normally parking ticket is $40 in Toronto which was hearsay from others. Right away the superintendent said then $40 will do. I found it getting phish so I didn't reply to his offer immediately. He didn't have the ticket with him so he couldn't return it to me. Otherwise I will include more info from the ticket.

What do you guys think about this? What should I do? This is my first parking ticket ever so I will really appreciate your help. Sorry for the long read.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
I got a parking ticket, the plate info was wrong, the City of Toronto website says that's enough grounds to have the ticket cancelled. I went to one of the parking offices and the clerk told me the info on the website is wrong and outdated by about ten years, but it's only from last year.

I paid the ticket, it was only 30 bucks, but are they right? And where is the new updated info?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
Armstrong800 wrote: Hello people,

I've just moved from Ottawa into a condo in Scarborough since last Saturday. When I returned on Sunday at around 10 pm to the underground parking garage, there was a New York plate vehicle parked on my spot. Since the condo's superintendent didn't work during weekends, I didn't know who to call or what to do because I've never lived in a condo or an apartment. It was quite empty all around at the time so I parked my car in the parking spot right next to this vehicle thinking that I will just have to move my car Monday morning and will leave a note on that new york plated vehicle to ask the owner to move out. As you may have guessed when I walked to my car on Monday morning I saw a note from the owner of that parking lot asking me to move my car out, a yellow parking ticket of $250, and some physical scratch and dirt on my car's front hood.

I spoke about my experience to the condo's superintendent right away, who showed compassion and ask to have my parking ticket so he could call cops to find out what was the deal. Since Monday was still a holiday he was to give me feedback on Tuesday. I agreed and gave him my ticket. Today morning when I saw him he told me that he knew this cop who is his buddy. As a favor to the superintendent this cop can cancel the ticket on the computer located in a Toronto downtown police station. (Strangely the superintendent said that's the only place the ticket can be canceled, not from any other computers from other police station branches.) The cop will do this if he can be paid $50 gas money for driving to there. I told the superintendent that I thought normally parking ticket is $40 in Toronto which was hearsay from others. Right away the superintendent said then $40 will do. I found it getting phish so I didn't reply to his offer immediately. He didn't have the ticket with him so he couldn't return it to me. Otherwise I will include more info from the ticket.

What do you guys think about this? What should I do? This is my first parking ticket ever so I will really appreciate your help. Sorry for the long read.

who issued the ticket? was it some private company? if yes, you may not need to pay it at all and the sup is bsing you
re your parking spot if the sup was not on duty, you could call parking cops and have the other car towed away. only PEOs have the authority to order towing of a car. since your car was not towed, I suspect your ticket was issued by a private company
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
umop wrote: I got a parking ticket, the plate info was wrong, the City of Toronto website says that's enough grounds to have the ticket cancelled. I went to one of the parking offices and the clerk told me the info on the website is wrong and outdated by about ten years, but it's only from last year.

I paid the ticket, it was only 30 bucks, but are they right? And where is the new updated info?

wrong license plate is not a fatal error
http://ticketcombat.com/offences/fatal.php
however, if you did not pay, how would they identify your car if the plate was wrong? read how to handle parking tickets in the above link
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Armstrong800 wrote: Hello people,

You should never park your car in another resident parking space assuming that it will be alright. For future reference you should call your condo's emergency number, the same one you would if a pipe burst or something like that and ask them what to do. They probably would have told you to park in the visitor parking lot or helped you arrange for parking enforcement to attend and remove the vehicle. And FYI the charge for parking in a reserved resident parking space is "Park on Private Property Without Owners Consent" and that carries a fine of $30, not $250.
Armstrong800 wrote: I spoke about my experience to the condo's superintendent right away, who showed compassion and ask to have my parking ticket so he could call cops to find out what was the deal. Since Monday was still a holiday he was to give me feedback on Tuesday. I agreed and gave him my ticket. Today morning when I saw him he told me that he knew this cop who is his buddy. As a favor to the superintendent this cop can cancel the ticket on the computer located in a Toronto downtown police station. (Strangely the superintendent said that's the only place the ticket can be canceled, not from any other computers from other police station branches.) The cop will do this if he can be paid $50 gas money for driving to there. I told the superintendent that I thought normally parking ticket is $40 in Toronto which was hearsay from others. Right away the superintendent said then $40 will do. I found it getting phish so I didn't reply to his offer immediately. He didn't have the ticket with him so he couldn't return it to me. Otherwise I will include more info from the ticket.
Get that "ticket" back and do NOT pay this guy one dime because you are being fed a line of ********. Toronto police officers do not even have access to the parking enforcement database and tickets can only be canceled by a parking enforcement supervisor after a formal review. A ticket cannot simply be deleted from the system with the few taps on the keyboard because all databases are monitored for precisely that kind of activity. It isn't something that just anybody in a uniform can do and it is very easily traced back to those who can. A Toronto PEO can access the database to check on any ticket but only a supervisor has the clearance level to cancel a ticket.
Armstrong800 wrote: What do you guys think about this? What should I do? This is my first parking ticket ever so I will really appreciate your help. Sorry for the long read.
The ticket doesn't sound legit if it was for $250 so when you do get it back read it carefully. Here are some images of what a legitimate parking ticket looks like on both the front and back. The first two images are of a computer printed ticket issued by a real PEO. The second is of a hand written ticket issued by a private agent, usually a security guard, certified to issue real parking tickets. If it doesn't match one of the samples below and/or the charge is something other than "Parked on Private Property Without Owners Consent" then the ticket is not proper.

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... arktag.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... t-back.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... ticket.gif[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
umop wrote: I got a parking ticket, the plate info was wrong, the City of Toronto website says that's enough grounds to have the ticket cancelled. I went to one of the parking offices and the clerk told me the info on the website is wrong and outdated by about ten years, but it's only from last year.

The ticket had a fatal error and should have been canceled. The clerk should have known better. I don't know why they wouldn't have told you this, it isn't like they get paid a commission for every ticket they collect the fine on.
Jul 20, 2007
3 posts
Ottawa Ontario Canad…
I just called the superintendent. He said "his buddy" had taken care of it so the ticket was canceled and he didn't ask for any money. And he said he doesn't have the ticket. I have a feeling that he knew by now I might have learned something about this ticket. Judged by the circumstance I think this is a ticket issued by a condo security guard who knows this superintendent. Don't know why they overcharge me though because I wouldn't think one dime of the ticket will go their way.

As I am settling in there are lots to deal with. Big Thanks to Vero95 and Fox1971. You guys have taken this load off my mind.

Regards!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Armstrong800 wrote: I just called the superintendent. He said "his buddy" had taken care of it so the ticket was canceled and he didn't ask for any money. And he said he doesn't have the ticket. I have a feeling that he knew by now I might have learned something about this ticket. Judged by the circumstance I think this is a ticket issued by a condo security guard who knows this superintendent. Don't know why they overcharge me though because I wouldn't think one dime of the ticket will go their way.

As I am settling in there are lots to deal with. Big Thanks to Vero95 and Fox1971. You guys have taken this load off my mind.

Regards!

There is no way that the superintendent has a "buddy" who could cancel the ticket like he claimed. It is very suspicious that he asked for money to get the ticket canceled and then says he did so free of charge. It doesn't matter if he says he got it canceled because neither he nor the issuing agent have the authority to do so. You shouldn't take his word that it was canceled because there is obviously something shady going on and it's possible that you could still get stuck with a Notice of Impending Conviction for $250. You should insist that he return the ticket to you and pursue the matter yourself. If you get the ticket back PM me for further information.
Feb 13, 2008
117 posts
46 upvotes
Pandora
i just received a notice of impending conviction in the mail today. the thing is i have never received a parking ticket nor do i know where the location of the place of offence is at. the funny thing was i was at work all day. how can this happen?