Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
FunRing wrote: I am confused, then would ppl not use this as an excuse to get out of parking tickets? "ohh the ticket was never served to my vehicle or handed to me, I never even saw it" In this case what happens?

No, you cannot simply claim that you never received the ticket. When we issue a ticket there are actually two copies, the actual parking ticket that is served to the vehicle/driver and the officer's copy that legally certifies that the first copy was served and how. It is part of our evidence that we present in court.

People try all the time to claim that they never got the ticket but that never works. Do you really think it would be that simple to get rid of a parking ticket or that the city would leave a loophole like that wide open? Apparently you are easily confused. Thanks for coming out. :facepalm:
May 7, 2006
303 posts
13 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: No, you cannot simply claim that you never received the ticket. When we issue a ticket there are actually two copies, the actual parking ticket that is served to the vehicle/driver and the officer's copy that legally certifies that the first copy was served and how. It is part of our evidence that we present in court.

People try all the time to claim that they never got the ticket but that never works. Do you really think it would be that simple to get rid of a parking ticket or that the city would leave a loophole like that wide open? Apparently you are easily confused. Thanks for coming out. :facepalm:

Not sure why you are being so defensive/bitter here, I was simply asking you a question, not trying to attack you. Just wanna know the system better.

It is because I did not think it would be that simple to get rid of a parking ticket, which is why I asked the question.

So technically, the officer can 'certify' that the first copy was served and he can still get the ticket mailed to him.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
FunRing wrote: Not sure why you are being so defensive/bitter here, I was simply asking you a question, not trying to attack you. Just wanna know the system better.

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/livin ... nsecurity/
Some people hide their insecurities by bullying others by displaying an arrogant and aggressive façade. These symptoms differ from one person to the next because insecurity is based on your personal emotions, instead of an overall coherent logic. Adults aren't immune to this emotional agitation, although it is most common in teenagers, especially those who never received sufficient positive and encouraging remarks from others.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2372 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
aokec wrote: I was wondering,

I got a parking ticket trial for a ticket that belonged to my older car which I sold this year.
I assume I am still responsible for the ticket from the older license plate.

How do I pay this ticket, because I can't attend the trial date?

THanks

bump
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
FunRing wrote: Not sure why you are being so defensive/bitter here, I was simply asking you a question, not trying to attack you. Just wanna know the system better.

It is because I did not think it would be that simple to get rid of a parking ticket, which is why I asked the question.

So technically, the officer can 'certify' that the first copy was served and he can still get the ticket mailed to him.

How many times do I have to repeat myself before you get it? Parking tickets do NOT get mailed to anybody! Period. They are either served directly to the vehicle or directly to the driver. That's it. And for the record I am neither bitter nor defensive but I do not have a whole lot of patience for people like you who fail to read the information that is clearly posted multiple times and continue to ask dumb questions after they have already been answered.
May 7, 2006
303 posts
13 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: How many times do I have to repeat myself before you get it? Parking tickets do NOT get mailed to anybody! Period. They are either served directly to the vehicle or directly to the driver. That's it. And for the record I am neither bitter nor defensive but I do not have a whole lot of patience for people like you who fail to read the information that is clearly posted multiple times and continue to ask dumb questions after they have already been answered.

no need to get all worked up, take it easy? if you dont want to answer then you don't have to..lol
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
FunRing wrote: no need to get all worked up, take it easy? if you dont want to answer then you don't have to..lol

But that's the point, I already have answered the question multiple times but you're apparently too dense to understand. :rolleyes:
May 7, 2006
303 posts
13 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: But that's the point, I already have answered the question multiple times but you're apparently too dense to understand. :rolleyes:

chill and relax.
never once did I attack you but every reply you made contained some sort of insult but if that makes you feel better than sure lol
you are on an open forum, and specifically you are in a thread that is titled ask anything about parking ticket..so why the fuss? anyway no need to answer, the other member already provided a link that explained this type of behaviour so lets just leave it at that lol :lol:
Sep 13, 2008
741 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
this is ridiculous, i got out of my car for a minute to buy a parking permit and when i come back i see a parking ticket on my windshield wiper charging me $30 for not having a valid parking permit. so i looked around for the parking officer with the parking permit in hand and he was nowhere in sight.

my parking permit time was valid 6:47 to 7:02. the parking ticket time says 6:46.

reason why i took a minute was because i was going through my wallet wanting to spend small change first pennies, dimes, nickles and the parking dispenser was quite a walk away, about 20 seconds and it was dark so i didn't really see anyone near my car.

how should i go about fighting this ticket? basically my argument would be that i should have some grace time in buying a parking permit.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote: this is ridiculous, i got out of my car for a minute to buy a parking permit and when i come back i see a parking ticket on my windshield wiper charging me $30 for not having a valid parking permit. so i looked around for the parking officer with the parking permit in hand and he was nowhere in sight.

my parking permit time was valid 6:47 to 7:02. the parking ticket time says 6:46.

reason why i took a minute was because i was going through my wallet wanting to spend small change first pennies, dimes, nickles and the parking dispenser was quite a walk away, about 20 seconds and it was dark so i didn't really see anyone near my car.

how should i go about fighting this ticket? basically my argument would be that i should have some grace time in buying a parking permit.

are you sure it was just a min? it takes much longer to write a ticket and disappear
I doubt your argument will work. anyone can run to the machine after he finds a ticket on his car and then claim it was within some grace period
Jul 22, 2009
333 posts
28 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote: this is ridiculous, i got out of my car for a minute to buy a parking permit and when i come back i see a parking ticket on my windshield wiper charging me $30 for not having a valid parking permit. so i looked around for the parking officer with the parking permit in hand and he was nowhere in sight.

This is very easy fight. Don't think you even have to go to court. Just photocopy the permit and submit it with your ticket at MTO office. Ask if the prosecutor can cancel the ticket on the spot. My aunt did this few years ago and it worked.
Jul 22, 2009
333 posts
28 upvotes
vero95 wrote: are you sure it was just a min? it takes much longer to write a ticket and disappear
I doubt your argument will work. anyone can run to the machine after he finds a ticket on his car and then claim it was within some grace period

You forgot there is time on the ticket. If he bought the permit at say 7.30pm then of course its no go.
Jun 15, 2004
570 posts
42 upvotes
Hi OP

I got a parking ticket last year, and decided to fight it. I received the court date, but have changed my mind and would rather pay it since I won't be here. If I just pay it online, is that fine even though my court date is for next month?
I tried to read a few pages to see if anyone had the same question, but could not find it
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto

You bought your pay & display receipt after the parking ticket was issued so you are SOL. And since you didn't see the PEO it only stands to reason that he probably didn't see you either. It appears that based on your version of events all the PEO likely saw was an illegally parked car and did his job accordingly. What was he supposed to do, wait by your car for the unidentified driver to come back and pay for parking? Not likely. I find it interesting that you only purchased 15 minutes of parking time. In some locations that is the minimum amount of time you can purchase in order to get a P&D permit so you obviously didn't intended to stay for long. I think the more likely scenario is that you left you vehicle to quickly run whatever errand you were there for and didn't bother to pay for your parking thinking you wouldn't be there long. When you were returning from your errand you probably saw the PEO approaching your car and tried to purchase your P&D permit before he ticketed your car but you were too late.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
KBTT wrote: This is very easy fight. Don't think you even have to go to court. Just photocopy the permit and submit it with your ticket at MTO office. Ask if the prosecutor can cancel the ticket on the spot. My aunt did this few years ago and it worked.

That argument only works if the Pay & Display permit was purchased before the parking ticket was issued. In this case the OP purchased his P&D permit after the ticket was issued.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
aku wrote: Hi OP

I got a parking ticket last year, and decided to fight it. I received the court date, but have changed my mind and would rather pay it since I won't be here. If I just pay it online, is that fine even though my court date is for next month?
I tried to read a few pages to see if anyone had the same question, but could not find it
Thanks

Go in person to one of the parking tag operations offices listed on the back of the ticket. Tell them you requested a trial and changed your mind and just want to pay it now. They can take your payment and make sure that your trial is cancelled. You can pay the ticket online or over the telephone but that might not guarantee that your trial date is cancelled. Doing it in person is the best way to deal with this.
Jul 22, 2009
333 posts
28 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote: That argument only works if the Pay & Display permit was purchased before the parking ticket was issued. In this case the OP purchased his P&D permit after the ticket was issued.

Doesn't matter what you think of it. She bought the permit exactly a minute after the ticket time and she explained the story. Ticket cancelled on the spot at MTO. Maybe another prosecutor is tougher but who knows.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
KBTT wrote: Doesn't matter what you think of it. She bought the permit exactly a minute after the ticket time and she explained the story. Ticket cancelled on the spot at MTO. Maybe another prosecutor is tougher but who knows.

It's not about what I think, it's what I know to be accurate. For every instance where something like that happens there are thousands more where that was not the outcome. Your aunt's story is the exception, not the norm. I stand by my earlier statement.
Oct 18, 2011
1 posts
THORNHILL
Hi I was issued a ticket with the usual Park signed highway during prohibited (Times/Days). It seems like this is an un-winnable scenario for me from what I've read, but I am fuzzy on the exact law for this sort of thing. If there are no visible parking lanes marked, what constitutes a valid parking area? After the sign or before the sign (according to the direction of traffic) ? I've read that if you are 1/3 past the sign then there's nothing you can fight about, but what proof is there for that? Can't any parking officer just state that you were out of the valid parking area if they really wanted to nail you?

Also in the case where there are multiple signs, in what scenario is a paid parking sign valid over other signs? Is there a website anywhere that gives more detailed information on parking infractions and their valid fines / conditions?