Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
PsiKro wrote: Hi I was issued a ticket with the usual Park signed highway during prohibited (Times/Days). It seems like this is an un-winnable scenario for me from what I've read,
Most parking tickets are not winnable despite what others might tell you here.
PsiKro wrote: but I am fuzzy on the exact law for this sort of thing. If there are no visible parking lanes marked, what constitutes a valid parking area?
Lines on the pavement may or may not anything to do with some parking regulations but when it comes to the offence of "Park Signed Highway During Prohibited (Times/Days)" they don't factor into the scenario.
PsiKro wrote: After the sign or before the sign (according to the direction of traffic) ?
Direction of traffic has nothing to do with the offence you are talking about. The placement of the signs in relationship to the vehicle and conditions list on the signs are what matter. For the offence you are asking about there would be arrows on the sign telling you whether you can park to the left or right of the signs position. Here are some pictures that illustrate that point.

[IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... C10384.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... G_0201.jpg[/IMG]
PsiKro wrote: I've read that if you are 1/3 past the sign then there's nothing you can fight about,
All that is required for enforcement is that 1/3 of the total length of the vehicle is in the prohibited parking area. I always tell people that if they can't fit their entire vehicle into the parking space then it isn't a parking space.
PsiKro wrote: but what proof is there for that?
The officer makes observations and makes evidence notes based on those observations. They sometimes also take pictures of the vehicle.
PsiKro wrote: Can't any parking officer just state that you were out of the valid parking area if they really wanted to nail you?
Anything is possible including a PEO issuing bogus tickets but it isn't likely especially since there are so many illegally parked cars. There is also the fact that we are vetted extensively for months before we are hired and integrity checks are a part of that process.
PsiKro wrote: Also in the case where there are multiple signs, in what scenario is a paid parking sign valid over other signs?
That depends on what the signs say. If you can read simple English and tell time then they really aren't hard to figure out.
PsiKro wrote: Is there a website anywhere that gives more detailed information on parking infractions and their valid fines / conditions?
Google is your friend.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Hey Fox1971,

I didn't originally post in this thread because it says "TORONTO" and this happened in Oakville but it sounds like you are in Mississauga (and OP never came back to this thread) so I will ask here.

Situation here:

3-hour-street-limit-why-3-hours-anyone- ... d-1093860/

Basic summary, more than 3 hour parked outside of my building. In Oakville we have "first attendance" as well... Do you know in Mississauga if they ever reduce these type of tickets (I know in Toronto they don't have first attendance). Just trying to determine if I should bother setting up an appointment or not.

Thanks
Apr 9, 2006
161 posts
10 upvotes
Hi
Can anybody suggest what can I do in the following situation

I parked on Howard street right next to parking vending and paid for parking and placed the receipt on dashboard.
The sign (see picture) says the no parking right to the sign post ( note the arrow points right) and there is GreenP right there.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9454/img174o.jpg
So I parked to the left of the post, when I came back I found
a ticket for $100 , since there was a hydrant next to my car.

Do I have a case against GreenP or the city (same corporation) in court for misinforming the motorists or misleading signs and charging them twice?
(Actually, three time, the first vending machine did not get me a receipt, had to get to another one and pay there)

Thank you.
Best regards,
Sergo.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Sergo wrote: Hi

Fire Hydrants aren't signed as a "no parking" area. You will get fire hydrants in "paid parking" areas all the time. You just can't park without a certain distance of them (3 meters from the curb to curb). But, usually they are marked with white lines in pay areas.

EDIT. .. I relooked at what you posted... and I looked at the street view... I think you misread the sign

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=howard+str ... 2,,0,-0.59

You parked on the wrong side of the sign, right in front of the fire hydrant according to the Google Street view.

On the street view, the "metered" parking isn't there but the location of the sign looks the same...

Basically, you can't park to the right of the sign between the hours of 7-9am and 4and6pm (i.e. during rush hour) but if the time was outside those times you should have parked to the right of the post.

What does the sign say that you can't see (facing the wrong direction/away from camera?)....

Regardless, I think you made an error in reading the signs.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote: Hey Fox1971,

I didn't originally post in this thread because it says "TORONTO" and this happened in Oakville but it sounds like you are in Mississauga (and OP never came back to this thread) so I will ask here.

Situation here:

3-hour-street-limit-why-3-hours-anyone- ... d-1093860/

Basic summary, more than 3 hour parked outside of my building. In Oakville we have "first attendance" as well... Do you know in Mississauga if they ever reduce these type of tickets (I know in Toronto they don't have first attendance). Just trying to determine if I should bother setting up an appointment or not.

Thanks

I don't know how they handle first attendance in Oakville or how lenient they are but I say set up the appointment. What have you got to lose?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Sergo wrote: Hi

I parked on Howard street right next to parking vending and paid for parking and placed the receipt on dashboard.
The sign (see picture) says the no parking right to the sign post ( note the arrow points right) and there is GreenP right there.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9454/img174o.jpg
So I parked to the left of the post, when I came back I found
a ticket for $100 , since there was a hydrant next to my car.

Do I have a case against GreenP or the city (same corporation) in court for misinforming the motorists or misleading signs and charging them twice?
(Actually, three time, the first vending machine did not get me a receipt, had to get to another one and pay there)

Thank you.

It doesn't matter what other conditions exist, you can never, ever park your vehicle in front of a fire hydrant. Period. No further comment is necessary.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote: Fire Hydrants aren't signed as a "no parking" area. You will get fire hydrants in "paid parking" areas all the time. You just can't park without a certain distance of them (3 meters from the curb to curb). But, usually they are marked with white lines in pay areas.

EDIT. .. I relooked at what you posted... and I looked at the street view... I think you misread the sign

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=howard+str ... 2,,0,-0.59

You parked on the wrong side of the sign, right in front of the fire hydrant according to the Google Street view.

On the street view, the "metered" parking isn't there but the location of the sign looks the same...

Basically, you can't park to the right of the sign between the hours of 7-9am and 4and6pm (i.e. during rush hour) but if the time was outside those times you should have parked to the right of the post.

What does the sign say that you can't see (facing the wrong direction/away from camera?)....

Regardless, I think you made an error in reading the signs.

And he made an error by parking in front of the fire hydrant. :facepalm:
Oct 21, 2011
2 posts
NORTH YORK
The last parking ticket I received was 16 years ago, and all my old parking tickets (approx $7,000) are still on my record.

Can I go to some type of court and ask for a courtesy reduction? Or how can I get rid of these parking tickets which are over 16 years old?

Your reply is appreciated
Jun 8, 2010
7 posts
whitby
Fox1971 wrote: Tickets don't "get tossed due to the length of time". Keep waiting, you'll get your trial date. The length of time it takes to get a trial depends on who issued the ticket. If the ticket was computer issued by a PEO then they are automatically downloaded into the system immediately. If it was an MLEO or police officer who issue hand written tickets then it can take longer because each one has to be manually entered into the system and that takes a lot longer, especially if they don't submit their copies within the required 48 hour period from issuance. I am personally aware of some instances where security guards have held onto their copies of tickets for several weeks before submitting them.
It was issued by an PEO in September 2009, the same day I got the ticket I went to the Toronto Ticket Offices to make my intention know about wanting a court date(Ticket Fine $30). Is there not instances where if the court date is too long the Jusctice of the Peace may dismiss? I have heard about I think Chapter 11 or something like that?
Thanks for any information
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Watchmans wrote: The last parking ticket I received was 16 years ago, and all my old parking tickets (approx $7,000) are still on my record.
Ouch!!! :eek:
Watchmans wrote: Can I go to some type of court and ask for a courtesy reduction?
Not now. Negotiating reduced fines in exchange for guilty pleas when you first got the tickets might have been an option back then but that particular ship sailed a loooong time ago. There is no way any JP would authorize the re-opening of $7000 worth of tickets from 16 years ago.
Watchmans wrote: Or how can I get rid of these parking tickets which are over 16 years old?
Your only option now is to pay them off. Seriously. That's it.
Watchmans wrote: Your reply is appreciated
You're welcome. I wish I had better news for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
pfs67 wrote: It was issued by an PEO in September 2009, the same day I got the ticket I went to the Toronto Ticket Offices to make my intention know about wanting a court date(Ticket Fine $30). Is there not instances where if the court date is too long the Jusctice of the Peace may dismiss? I have heard about I think Chapter 11 or something like that?
Thanks for any information

Keep waiting and stop worrying. If you don't get anything in the mail, you are free and clear. If you do get a trial notice, then that is when you can worry about how to proceed.
Oct 21, 2011
2 posts
NORTH YORK
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that. the information you have on Parking Tickets was very useful and benefits many people. Thanks Again.

Fox1971 wrote: Ouch!!! :eek:

Not now. Negotiating reduced fines in exchange for guilty pleas when you first got the tickets might have been an option back then but that particular ship sailed a loooong time ago. There is no way any JP would authorize the re-opening of $7000 worth of tickets from 16 years ago.

Your only option now is to pay them off. Seriously. That's it.

You're welcome. I wish I had better news for you.
Oct 24, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
Burlington
I lost my court letter without opening it,what are my options? anyway I can retrieve that? thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
sajjadfs wrote: I lost my court letter without opening it,what are my options? anyway I can retrieve that? thanks

If the ticket was from Toronto call this number: 416-397-8247. It is an automated system. Just enter the parking infraction notice number and you will be provided with the date, time and location of your trial.
Jul 9, 2007
37 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Happened the same with me, just walk in ticket court office and ask them for a printout. You need to have the registration papers for the ticketed car.

Good Luck
Oct 26, 2011
1 posts
TORONTO
Hi there, just wondering if you know anything about getting parking fines set back to the original fine amount? I recently went down to Edward St. and went through a process I thought would result in my fines being put back to the original amounts (applied for an extention), but when i received the docs in the mail, I had been given a time extention to pay, however my fines still included court fees, etc...Not sure if I needed to be more clear when filling out the forms - I assumed an extention also meant the fines would be adjusted back. I know i've done this in the past. What do you know? Thanks much.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Justsomedude4 wrote: Hi there, just wondering if you know anything about getting parking fines set back to the original fine amount? I recently went down to Edward St. and went through a process I thought would result in my fines being put back to the original amounts (applied for an extention), but when i received the docs in the mail, I had been given a time extention to pay, however my fines still included court fees, etc...Not sure if I needed to be more clear when filling out the forms - I assumed an extention also meant the fines would be adjusted back. I know i've done this in the past. What do you know? Thanks much.

Obviously you assumed incorrectly.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9832 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
So just an update about that "parked more than 3 hour" ticket in Oakville. At first attendance the clerk/person offered 50% off. Paid $18 vs. $35 because first offence. Better than nothing. Now I know to call in when people will be parking on the street overnight. Also no parking between 2am and like 6am during the winter months.
Mar 21, 2008
8 posts
Toronto
Hi,

Many thanks to those who provide us all with a wealth of information and support.

I have a story about the principle of issuing valid parking tickets. I was out one evening with a friend and we ate at a restaurant downtown. I paid for 2 hours of parking on a public street, making sure to check all the time restrictions and it was OK. After paying for parking at the parking meter, I carefully placed the parking receipt stub onto the translucent ticket holder clip that presses a ticket against the glass and located on the driver's side about 6 inches above the dash on the front windshield that exists on many Volvo's (I'm sure that you've seen/encountered cars that do this). I came back in a bit over an hour and to my surprise, found a ticket for not displaying the parking stub ($30).

My friend, who was visiting from out of town, offered to pay the ticket for me, to which I refused. I told her that it was by principle that we can't pay this ticket. I was furious, because evidently, this PEO was either blind, jealous, or an A$$hole that gives out bogus tickets to meet some quota or thinks that innocent people needs to donate more money and time to the government. I subsequently had this ticket thrown out at the Service Ontario Kiosk.

The point is do I need to put friggin' neon signs that point to a clearly visible ticket that is pressed against a clean windshield by a clip? It's actually more visible than placing in flat onto a dash. There are no other distracting items on or remotely near the windshield, btw, except for a gps unit and mount that is also on the lower driver's side, but, doesn't even come close to blocking a ticket from being seen from any angle from the front.

What is your take on this story? What do you think was up with the PEO? This kind of ticketing is more than absurd, and PEO's should be fired for doing something so stupid. I mean, they must simply scan for a ticket on the dash and can't look up 5 inches like a friggin' robot.

Hope you all enjoyed the story.

P.S. The stub DID NOT curl away from the windshield. It may as well been glued to the windshield, sort of like those colourful overnight parking permit squares (and held in the same location).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)