Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Abbas90 wrote: Hi!

I got a $30 parking today in downtown Toronto. In the "commit the parking infraction section," it says "(Code No. 207) PARK - FAIL TO DEPOSIT FEE IN MACHINE" and in the comments section, it says "Meter/Receipt #: xp1617." I don't understand why I got the ticket as I had the GreenP parking receipt displayed clearly on my dash and it was valid from 3:50 to 5:20 pm and the ticket was issued at 4:45 pm. What should I do?

Thanks.

Parking rates and times vary from location to location and pay & display receipts are only valid at the location where they are purchased. If you purchased the P&D permit at a Green P lot or at a machine on a different street then it wasn't valid even if the time on it hasn't expired. Another thing that might have happened is that the PEO was looking at an old P&D receipt and missed the current one. Did you have more than one receipt on your dash? If your P&D was valid then it is possible that the PEO made an error by selecting the wrong offence from the drop down menu on his ticketing computer. He may have intended to select another offence but used that one instead by accident. If that is the case, you can request a review by a parking enforcement supervisor. Take the ticket and P&D receipt to one of the Parking Tag Operations offices and they can help you.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Sergo wrote: Thanks Fox1971
Yes I did get a ticket. Offence- parking within 3 m of a fire hydrant. The car was parked left from the pole as you look at the picture. Here is a full picture:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9454/img174o.jpg
Those signs are very easy to comprehend. The big white "Pay Parking Enforced" one only applies to the right side of the pole, notice the arrow at the bottom of the sign. The "No Parking 7am-9am 4pm-6pm Mon-Fri" sign only applies during rush hour periods and is intended to keep people from parking in the Pay & Display parking section during those times. The last sign applies to overnight permit parking on that side of the street. Any vehicle parked on the street from 1201am-7am that does not have a resident street parking permit will get ticketed. Since you were ticketed for parking within 3 meters of a hydrant none of those signs have any relevance to your situation. No matter what signs are posted, no matter what permit you have, you can never, ever park within 3 meters of a fire hydrant.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
mirzank wrote: Thank you so much for getting back to me on this. You're right about the more serious infractions. Generally you get towed in no standing zones, so thats why i thought they were mostly for over parking. Maybe its for no parking zones? Not sure, but what I do know is she's been ridiculously irresponsible with parking.
Not necessarily.
mirzank wrote: None of them have gone to collections I believe. While they have been accumulating for a while, she went and filed them in court at some point, so I think she's waiting for a court date on them. At least thats what i'm told.
If she has requested court dates for the tickets then they would not have been forwarded to the MTO yet. And each ticket will have it's own separate court date, she won't get one trial to deal with all of the tickets at once. However it is not likely that she did so because she would have received court dates by now, especially for the ones from two years ago. A phone call to the MTO can verify if any of the fines have been sent to them for collections.
mirzank wrote: When she does get the date, is it possible to go and talk to the prosecutor and figure out a deal? say instead of $2000 to get them to agree to $1000?
Prosecutors are almost always willing to make deals for reduced fines in exchange for guilty pleas. How much of a reduction is up to the prosecutor and is not regulated. She will just have to find out how much when she gets to court and speaks to the prosecutor.
mirzank wrote: Or once you're there they expect you to pay in full? I'm wondering because traffic infractions are so much more serious and theres all these deals cut in regards to them, parking isn't close to as serious i'd expect them to agree to a cut. I have no experience on this though so would appreciate feedback.
If she attempts to fight the charges and loses she will most likely be sentenced to pay the full set fine plus court costs.
mirzank wrote: As for me complaining, well the reason i'm asking is because I got her the two parking spots for her car, not for mine. And ultimately, considering she quit her job and went back to school, if she can't pay them it's also my problem so ultimately if she can't i'll have to end up paying them.

If the vehicle is registered in her name then it is ultimately her problem.
Jul 12, 2011
4 posts
Toronto
Fox1971 wrote: Parking rates and times vary from location to location and pay & display receipts are only valid at the location where they are purchased. If you purchased the P&D permit at a Green P lot or at a machine on a different street then it wasn't valid even if the time on it hasn't expired. Another thing that might have happened is that the PEO was looking at an old P&D receipt and missed the current one. Did you have more than one receipt on your dash? If your P&D was valid then it is possible that the PEO made an error by selecting the wrong offence from the drop down menu on his ticketing computer. He may have intended to select another offence but used that one instead by accident. If that is the case, you can request a review by a parking enforcement supervisor. Take the ticket and P&D receipt to one of the Parking Tag Operations offices and they can help you.
I had parked right next to a machine and that's where I had purchased the receipt from. There were no other receipts on my dash. Am I gonna have to set a court date for this or will they cancel it on the spot if I take it to their office?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Abbas90 wrote: I had parked right next to a machine and that's where I had purchased the receipt from. There were no other receipts on my dash. Am I gonna have to set a court date for this or will they cancel it on the spot if I take it to their office?

Ask them when you go to the Parking Tag Operations office.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1769 posts
1901 upvotes
Toronto
Have a court date at April 24 2012 for a parking ticket I received on October 3 2010. What should I do? The thing is like 1 year and 6 months after the conviction.
Nov 11, 2011
1 posts
NORTH YORK
Hey Fox,

So during a divorce 6 years ago, my then wife racked up many parking tickets, 70-80(cars and licence's were in my name). I do not doubt the legitimecy of the tickets, all I want is the tickets to be reduced to thier origional fine. I have never been contacted by anyone? and lived at a different address during that time (yes I have proo)f so I had no prior knowledge. I have never renewed that licence plate until I tried recently, then the shock of a $5200.00 renewal fee. Any advice or pay it and move on?

Regards,
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Jaxson1 wrote: Hey Fox,

So during a divorce 6 years ago, my then wife racked up many parking tickets, 70-80(cars and licence's were in my name). I do not doubt the legitimecy of the tickets, all I want is the tickets to be reduced to thier origional fine. I have never been contacted by anyone? and lived at a different address during that time (yes I have proo)f so I had no prior knowledge. I have never renewed that licence plate until I tried recently, then the shock of a $5200.00 renewal fee. Any advice or pay it and move on?

Regards,

Unfortunately you are likely SOL. All of those tickets are way past the point of no return and no JP would likely authorize the reopening of 70-80 tickets from six years ago. Your only option is to bite the bullet and pay them off. Maybe you could take your ex-wife to small claims court to get your money back? That's the only thing I think you can do at this point.
May 4, 2011
36 posts
I recently got a parking ticket for parking in a non standing zone. It was a careless mistake. However the location on ticket was confusing. On the ticket, the location is stated NR 255 davisville ave, Toronto. Does it accurately and sufficiently describe the actual location? What is NR?
Also, it only has the make of car but not the model on ticket, does it make a difference?

Thank you
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
godiva2008 wrote: I recently got a parking ticket for parking in a non standing zone. It was a careless mistake. However the location on ticket was confusing. On the ticket, the location is stated NR 255 davisville ave, Toronto. Does it accurately and sufficiently describe the actual location? What is NR?
Also, it only has the make of car but not the model on ticket, does it make a difference?

Thank you

NR is just an abbreviation for "near" and that means your vehicle was parked on the same side of the street as the address listed when it was ticketed. The model of your vehicle is not needed on the ticket. We typically use the make and body type (2 door, 4 door, SUV, van, etc) to describe vehicles on tickets, not actual model names like Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, etc.
May 4, 2011
36 posts
Fox1971 wrote: NR is just an abbreviation for "near" and that means your vehicle was parked on the same side of the street as the address listed when it was ticketed. The model of your vehicle is not needed on the ticket. We typically use the make and body type (2 door, 4 door, SUV, van, etc) to describe vehicles on tickets, not actual model names like Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, etc.

Thanks a lot

However, there is no body type neither.

If I was to go to court, is there any chance to have fine reduced by pleading guilty?

Does the officer need to be present in order to convict me? Can I request disclosure of his evidence? I took pictures Of the obscure sign, did officer also take picture of my car?

On ticket combat, people suggest to wait for another pending conviction letter, so to delay the filing to be over 75 days to have the case invalid, is that a good one?

Thanks again
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
godiva2008 wrote: Thanks a lot

However, there is no body type neither.

It doesn't matter. The ticket is still valid. The PEO likely described the vehicle body type in his notes.
godiva2008 wrote: If I was to go to court, is there any chance to have fine reduced by pleading guilty?

Prosecutors are almost always willing to reduce fines in exchange for guilty pleas.
godiva2008 wrote: Does the officer need to be present in order to convict me?
Yes, but don't count on him no-showing. It is part of our required duties to attend court and we rarely miss it.
godiva2008 wrote: Can I request disclosure of his evidence?
Yes.
godiva2008 wrote: I took pictures Of the obscure sign,
Unless they were taken at the time the ticket was issued they will not likely be admitted as evidence.
godiva2008 wrote: did officer also take picture of my car?
Possibly.
godiva2008 wrote: On ticket combat, people suggest to wait for another pending conviction letter, so to delay the filing to be over 75 days to have the case invalid, is that a good one?
That site is full of very bad, out of date and sometimes completely false information. Do-it-yourself websites may be fine for getting meatloaf recipes but you shouldn't be relying on them for legal advice or strategies.
godiva2008 wrote: Thanks again
You're welcome.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi all,

Not sure if this falls into the Toronto parking tickets but I thought I'd give it a try. I just got a parking ticket from the city of Markham for parking overnight on South Park Road (Its a road off of Highway 7 and Times Ave where the new condos are developing). The ticket states that I parked there between 2am-7am. I also parked there the following 2 nights and received no tickets. There are no signs there but I searched the bylaws online for this street. Its kind of confusing because it states under the prohibited section as "anytime" for this street, but also gives the time 7-9am and 4-6pm. I thought the anytime meant you can park anytime except 7-9am and 4-6pm

Should I fight the ticket?

Thanks!
Aug 21, 2007
1 posts
Fighting a fire hydrant parking ticket later this week. I requested and received disclosure already. What I received in disclosure is 3 photos, a copy of the certificate of parking infraction and minimal officer notes. My disclosure request was complete and thorough indicating a request for all evidence to be used and a request for explanation of any evidence not being provided at this time.

Questions.
1. Ticket is issued contrary to a municpal by-law. Will the prosecution need to provide the bylaw in court as evidence? Should a copy of the bylaw been included in the disclosure I received? Can I object if the prosecution trys to introduce the bylaw that was not disclosed?
2. According to the info at ticketcombat.com, the section 2 of the POA requires the prosecutor to present a certified letter from the MTO linking the license plate to the defendant. Should this have been included in the disclosure provided? If they try to present the MTO letter, can I object under Charter rights to disclosure? It seems that my "Notice of Trial" has my drivers license on it and I don't remember if I gave this info when I requested a trial or not. Did they get my drivers license number from the MTO and thus will have the needed paperwork at trial to link the defendant to the license plate?
3. On the certificate of parking infraction, the "A" box is circled indicating that the "parking infraction was served on the owner of the vehicle by affixing it to the vehicle...", but in addition to the circling of the "A" box, the enforcement officer wrote "N/A" over the complete text explaining what the circle was for. Does this help in fighting the ticket as the indication of "serving of the ticket" would somehow be identified as "not applicable".
4. The ticketcombat.com site lays out the POA requirement of needing the prosecution to submit the "Notice of Trial" as evidence. Is this something that is regularly done? Can a ticket be won because the prosecutor doesn't follow all the POA requirements to the "T" as outlined at ticketcombat.com?

Thanks!
Nov 13, 2011
1 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I am SO upset right now. I received a $450 parking ticket last night just before 8:30pm on a Sunday after I dropped off my parents at Princess Margaret Hospital for an MRI appointment. Driving my Dad's car which he has a valid Handicapped permit. So I noticed a Handicapped sign close to the Hospital entrance behind the hospital on Murray Street, parked there, got my parents out and walked them inside to the appointment. It was a little over 5 minutes before I came down to the car because I had to register my mom for her appointment etc. When I noticed the ticket on the windshield I was confused because the permit was displayed etc. I then looked up at the sign and it said "STANDING only for Handicapped permits" etc. I nearly lost it because it was an honest mistake and I would have NEVER had left the car there etc.

I went to the Toronto Parking office in Scarborough to see if the ticket could be cancelled etc but the lady said she couldn't do anything for me and that I have to set a trial date and speak the judge. There is no way I could afford to even pay $50 let alone $450 as I'm on social assistance and unemployed.

What are my chances to have the judge cancel this ticket. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
cateyez13 wrote: I am SO upset right now. I received a $450 parking ticket last night just before 8:30pm on a Sunday after I dropped off my parents at Princess Margaret Hospital for an MRI appointment. Driving my Dad's car which he has a valid Handicapped permit. So I noticed a Handicapped sign close to the Hospital entrance behind the hospital on Murray Street, parked there, got my parents out and walked them inside to the appointment. It was a little over 5 minutes before I came down to the car because I had to register my mom for her appointment etc. When I noticed the ticket on the windshield I was confused because the permit was displayed etc. I then looked up at the sign and it said "STANDING only for Handicapped permits" etc. I nearly lost it because it was an honest mistake and I would have NEVER had left the car there etc.

I went to the Toronto Parking office in Scarborough to see if the ticket could be cancelled etc but the lady said she couldn't do anything for me and that I have to set a trial date and speak the judge. There is no way I could afford to even pay $50 let alone $450 as I'm on social assistance and unemployed.

What are my chances to have the judge cancel this ticket. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Zero. It was a No Standing Accessible Parking spot and you can't leave your vehicle unattended there even if you have a valid Accessible Parking Permit displayed. The prosecutor will likely be open to a deal for a reduced fine in exchange for a guilty plea but there is no way the he will agree to withdraw it and the JP will not throw it out.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
slick501 wrote: Fighting a fire hydrant parking ticket later this week. I requested and received disclosure already. What I received in disclosure is 3 photos, a copy of the certificate of parking infraction and minimal officer notes. My disclosure request was complete and thorough indicating a request for all evidence to be used and a request for explanation of any evidence not being provided at this time.

Questions.
1. Ticket is issued contrary to a municpal by-law. Will the prosecution need to provide the bylaw in court as evidence? Should a copy of the bylaw been included in the disclosure I received? Can I object if the prosecution trys to introduce the bylaw that was not disclosed?
2. According to the info at ticketcombat.com, the section 2 of the POA requires the prosecutor to present a certified letter from the MTO linking the license plate to the defendant. Should this have been included in the disclosure provided? If they try to present the MTO letter, can I object under Charter rights to disclosure? It seems that my "Notice of Trial" has my drivers license on it and I don't remember if I gave this info when I requested a trial or not. Did they get my drivers license number from the MTO and thus will have the needed paperwork at trial to link the defendant to the license plate?
3. On the certificate of parking infraction, the "A" box is circled indicating that the "parking infraction was served on the owner of the vehicle by affixing it to the vehicle...", but in addition to the circling of the "A" box, the enforcement officer wrote "N/A" over the complete text explaining what the circle was for. Does this help in fighting the ticket as the indication of "serving of the ticket" would somehow be identified as "not applicable".
4. The ticketcombat.com site lays out the POA requirement of needing the prosecution to submit the "Notice of Trial" as evidence. Is this something that is regularly done? Can a ticket be won because the prosecutor doesn't follow all the POA requirements to the "T" as outlined at ticketcombat.com?

Thanks!

Call a paralegal or a lawyer. Websites, especially do-it-yourself ticket fighting sites and RFD, are not a reliable source for the kind of legal advice you are seeking.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote: Hi all,

Not sure if this falls into the Toronto parking tickets but I thought I'd give it a try. I just got a parking ticket from the city of Markham for parking overnight on South Park Road (Its a road off of Highway 7 and Times Ave where the new condos are developing). The ticket states that I parked there between 2am-7am. I also parked there the following 2 nights and received no tickets. There are no signs there but I searched the bylaws online for this street. Its kind of confusing because it states under the prohibited section as "anytime" for this street, but also gives the time 7-9am and 4-6pm. I thought the anytime meant you can park anytime except 7-9am and 4-6pm

Should I fight the ticket?

Thanks!

Most municipalities have some version of No Parking 2am-7am on city streets. The signs for this offence are typically posted at the city limits. By your own admission you were parked there overnight so the ticket is totally legitimate. The fact that you didn't get ticketed on the next two nights just means that parking enforcement did not patrol the street on those nights.
May 4, 2011
36 posts
so the 75 days of filing requirement has been changed? Also, is the fact that you will receive a pending conviction letter within 15days if no action for the ticket been changed? thank you

Just for info purpose, if the fine could be reduced, I would be happy with it

Thanks
Nov 20, 2011
2 posts
DUNDAS
Could someone kindly tell me if I have a chance to dispute the following:

I parked my car just after 10pm on a street between two signs that say Green-P is until 10pm. I don't see any signs that say no parking otherwise. So I park and when I come back just before 2am, I find TWO unsightly yellow tickets that say I parked where a permit is required after 10pm. Utterly confused, I looked around the street and half a block away on the corner, I find a sign that does say you need a permit after 10pm... but seriously I parked between two obvious green-p signs that didn't say anything about permits and the stupid sign that says permit is required is facing the OTHER direction so I see the back of it from where my car is parked, and it's freakin far away!! :'( I'm pretty upset and feel humiliated that they'd give me TWO $30 tickets, first of all, and also that they don't make the permit part more clear. :'( I'm actually in tears.

Do I stand a chance? At least for ONE ticket? :( Are there court costs associated with disputing it? It's not JUST about the money, I just feel degraded because I'm always a good driver and so careful! :( ((((((

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)