Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
just got the most bullsh*t parking infraction notice in the mail for a ticket i never saw. first of all, i have a parking permit so why would i even have parked there?? i used to when i didn't have a permit but with one, i never park anywhere but legal places after midnight. the notice also says parked for over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09 (so i went over by 8 min??), but it gives the amount due as $31. isn't a 3 hour parking ticket only $15? how is it suddenly at $31?

what chances do i have if i take this to trial? can i still do this if i got this notice in the mail rather than a yellow ticket?

i actually have several tickets for which i applied for a trial but am STILL waiting, over one year later now. are those ones just swept under the rug now or will i still get court dates, even though it is well past a reasonable date and my right to a speedy trial?
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
helenhelen wrote: just got the most bullsh*t parking infraction notice in the mail for a ticket i never saw. first of all, i have a parking permit so why would i even have parked there?? i used to when i didn't have a permit but with one, i never park anywhere but legal places after midnight. the notice also says parked for over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09 (so i went over by 8 min??), but it gives the amount due as $31. isn't a 3 hour parking ticket only $15? how is it suddenly at $31?

what chances do i have if i take this to trial? can i still do this if i got this notice in the mail rather than a yellow ticket?

i actually have several tickets for which i applied for a trial but am STILL waiting, over one year later now. are those ones just swept under the rug now or will i still get court dates, even though it is well past a reasonable date and my right to a speedy trial?

Is it in Toronto?
The fine for parking over 3 hours is $15. The fine for parking without a permit (specific to the area) between 2am and 6am (or whatever is posted on the signs) is $30. $31 seems incorrect and the ticket may be cancelled.

Do not pay the yellow ticket and wait for the notice in the mail (if it comes at all). Let them work for your money. You will have more time to pay or can request a trial with that notice.

From the ticket cancellation guidelines:
[INDENT]Parking tickets may be cancelled where there is sufficient evidence to indicate that any of the following apply:
- Infraction set fine amount missing, incorrect or changed
[/INDENT]
Aug 16, 2009
76 posts
5 upvotes
Hey, I asked this in another thread, but I might as well ask again...

I got a ticket in which all the information is correct except the license plate (substituted an X for a K). Do I need to worry about that ticket?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
ahm2307 wrote: Hey, I asked this in another thread, but I might as well ask again...

I got a ticket in which all the information is correct except the license plate (substituted an X for a K). Do I need to worry about that ticket?

call MTO and find out if you have an outstanding ticket. most probably the ticket was assigned to the owner of the car with the wrong license plate so you may be lucky
many people complained recenty about phony parking tickets
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3152 posts
161 upvotes
helenhelen wrote: just got the most bullsh*t parking infraction notice in the mail for a ticket i never saw. first of all, i have a parking permit so why would i even have parked there?? i used to when i didn't have a permit but with one, i never park anywhere but legal places after midnight. the notice also says parked for over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09 (so i went over by 8 min??), but it gives the amount due as $31. isn't a 3 hour parking ticket only $15? how is it suddenly at $31?

What was the specific infraction code / description?
Mar 9, 2012
11 posts
TORONTO
I know this is not a parking ticket issue, but rather traffic ticket issue.. I am in a pinch and wanted to ask for some advice in a hurry :confused: Please help!!

I was caught in a speed trap and was given two tickets- one is "failure to surrender driver's licence $110" because I forgot my wallet and the other one is "going 50km/h on 40km/h zone $40". It was one of those speed traps where two police officers were on duty together and they were using speed guns mounted on top of a tripod on the road. The officer claimed that I was going 54km/h but he said he would give me a "break".

It was one of those roads where it dips a bit downhill and then goes uphill again (also a bridge overhead). The car that I was driving doesn't accelerate very well unless I really push down the gas pedal, so I guess I wasn't exactly driving on par 40km/h and was speeding a bit when I was going uphill, but I don't think I was driving excessively fast as what the police claimed to be (54km/h). As soon as I drove uphill and the road was parallel, that's when I saw the speed trap and the officer stopped me. It was a two lane road and I recall a car driving ahead of me and another car behind me as well. Could it be possible that the officer might've clocked the wrong car? I am planning to go with option 3 on the back of the ticket and apply for trial.. Is there any defense I can use against this speeding charge?

As for the ticket "failure to surrender driver's licence", if I choose option 2 on the back of the ticket "early resolution- meeting with prosecutor" and show the prosecutor my driver's licence, will the charge be dropped or would I just be offered a reduced charge, or even worse, none at all? What would be my best solution for this?

If I file both of my tickets for trial option at the same time, will I receive the same court date for both tickets? If this happens, wouldn't the prosecutor try to persuade me into a plea bargain to drop one charge in exchange for pleading guilty to the second charge? :cry:

Please, your help is much appreciated!!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11576 posts
2103 upvotes
Toronto
Are there Condo security guards that are similar sworn by-law officers, contracted or have the authorization/training to issue City of Toronto parking by-law tickets on private condo property?

If so, are they actually on the City payroll somehow? What happens if a court appearance is required?

There is athread in Off-Topics where a poster stated he got an official city of Toronto ticket for $250 for parking in the fire route in front of the condo, by the Condo security guard (OP said he was standing there not moving the car when the security guard was 'writing' up something since he believe it to be non-enforceable by a private security guard).
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
afiglee wrote: Is it in Toronto?
The fine for parking over 3 hours is $15. The fine for parking without a permit (specific to the area) between 2am and 6am (or whatever is posted on the signs) is $30. $31 seems incorrect and the ticket may be cancelled.

Do not pay the yellow ticket and wait for the notice in the mail (if it comes at all). Let them work for your money. You will have more time to pay or can request a trial with that notice.

From the ticket cancellation guidelines:
[INDENT]Parking tickets may be cancelled where there is sufficient evidence to indicate that any of the following apply:
- Infraction set fine amount missing, incorrect or changed
[/INDENT]
yes, in toronto. it wasn't the yellow ticket but the letter notice in the mail (i never got a yellow ticket which is partly why this notice surprised me.. apparently the offence date was Jan 26, 2012). the infraction itself says "park over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09" and then amount due says $31. it says at the top "you have been convicted of the following offence and are required to pay $31 (fine and court costs) by the due date."
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
5dark wrote: What was the specific infraction code / description?

infraction section says "park over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09" and then amount due section says $31. there is no code listed.. just that sentence.
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
lucia151515 wrote:
As for the ticket "failure to surrender driver's licence", if I choose option 2 on the back of the ticket "early resolution- meeting with prosecutor" and show the prosecutor my driver's licence, will the charge be dropped or would I just be offered a reduced charge, or even worse, none at all? What would be my best solution for this?
i was stopped once for turning right at a prohibited red (didn't see the sign) and didn't have my insurance on me. i got a ticket and chose option 2 as you mentioned. i just brought in my insurance and the ticket was cancelled. it's probably the same with your license.
Nov 24, 2011
9 posts
Toronto
Hello,
I received a (Toronto) parking ticked yesterday- with the wrong time of Infraction. On the ticket it says 5:47 pm- 7:01 pm. This is absolutely wrong because I was in a meeting until 5:30 at work and left at 6:00 pm and it took me half hour to reach the place where I got the ticket. I must have parked the at that place around 6:30 -6:35 onward...

The Committed Parking Infraction" Park signed highway in excess of permitted time" - I was aware of the one hour limit but I never exceeded it - I was out by 7:15 and I found this parking ticket.

Though its just $30 - but I really don't feel like paying because I haven't committed any mistake. Is it worth going to the court?

Thanks

MS
Aug 16, 2009
76 posts
5 upvotes
tomaulik83 wrote: Hello,
I received a (Toronto) parking ticked yesterday- with the wrong time of Infraction. On the ticket it says 5:47 pm- 7:01 pm. This is absolutely wrong because I was in a meeting until 5:30 at work and left at 6:00 pm and it took me half hour to reach the place where I got the ticket. I must have parked the at that place around 6:30 -6:35 onward...

The Committed Parking Infraction" Park signed highway in excess of permitted time" - I was aware of the one hour limit but I never exceeded it - I was out by 7:15 and I found this parking ticket.

Though its just $30 - but I really don't feel like paying because I haven't committed any mistake. Is it worth going to the court?

Thanks

MS
Probably not. You'll have to pay a court fee, take time off work during the day, drive all the way to Markham (which is an extremely long drive for some of us), pay for parking there and then stand in a long line. If you miss your court date, you'll also have to pay an extra fine, all that for a $30 ticket....and even then there's no guarantee that you'll get the ticket thrown out.

As was mentioned in this thread many times, the city intentionally makes it very difficult to fight your ticket because they don't want people, even those with a legitimate greivance, to tie up their courts.
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
tomaulik83 wrote: Hello,

Thanks

MS

i say book your court date with the intention to appear. there is a chance you may never get a court date since they are so backed up, from the sounds of it (i am still waiting well over a year later). when and if you get the court date, you can choose to just pay the ticket if you don't wish to go after all.

i have had a similar thing happen at a one hour street parking spot.. i know i was not parked for more than an hour. the ticket said i was parked just before the permitted time of 10am (it was 1 hour parking from 10m to 6pm or something like that).. i think the ticket itself actually says 9:56am or something like that. that really pissed me off. the difficult thing for both of our situations is having evidence that you were not there at that time. save any meeting notes (like meeting minutes with your name on the agenda, and the time marked?), maybe a googlemaps walking directions printout since they tell you how long it takes to walk there, etc...
Aug 20, 2011
4 posts
SCARBOROUGH
My car was parked southbound (just south of Keewatin) in front of 1000 Mt Pleasant Rd Toronto, and was ticketed & towed via police due to a no stopping violation between 7am & 9 weekdays.
The nearest signage for this infraction is approximately 100 meters south of where I parked (since the building is relatively new and no new signage have been posted). Google earth shows the old signage which no longer exists.
Can I fight this since I really cannot read a sign 100 meters away??
Mar 9, 2012
11 posts
TORONTO
helenhelen wrote: i was stopped once for turning right at a prohibited red (didn't see the sign) and didn't have my insurance on me. i got a ticket and chose option 2 as you mentioned. i just brought in my insurance and the ticket was cancelled. it's probably the same with your license.

Thank you for the reply..

So did you get two tickets? One for turning right at a prohibited red and another one for no insurance?
Did you file both tickets for option 2?
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
helenhelen wrote: yes, in toronto. it wasn't the yellow ticket but the letter notice in the mail (i never got a yellow ticket which is partly why this notice surprised me.. apparently the offence date was Jan 26, 2012). the infraction itself says "park over 3 hours from 00:01 to 03:09" and then amount due says $31. it says at the top "you have been convicted of the following offence and are required to pay $31 (fine and court costs) by the due date."

Now it makes more sense. It is $15 fine plus $16 "court costs" = $31. You were supposed to get a notice of impending conviction in about 3 weeks after the date of alleged offence. It is better to deal with this issue now or you will get hit with another $20 charge when if it goes to the MTO. You have an option to reopen the ticket and go to court if you like. Unless you got the ticket by mistake and were not parked there your chances to win the case are very small because even 1 minute over 3 hours is technically enough to give you a ticket.

I am not sure if that will work but you may be able to reopen the ticket, file a notice of intention to appeal in court, and then pay the ticket before the court date saving the "court costs". It all depends if you have the time to kill and how much your time is worth.
Feb 7, 2012
638 posts
147 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
at1212b wrote: Are there Condo security guards that are similar sworn by-law officers, contracted or have the authorization/training to issue City of Toronto parking by-law tickets on private condo property?

If so, are they actually on the City payroll somehow? What happens if a court appearance is required?

There is athread in Off-Topics where a poster stated he got an official city of Toronto ticket for $250 for parking in the fire route in front of the condo, by the Condo security guard (OP said he was standing there not moving the car when the security guard was 'writing' up something since he believe it to be non-enforceable by a private security guard).

I believe some security guards have the authority to issue parking tickets. Try to search this thread - it was discussed before.
Aug 20, 2011
4 posts
SCARBOROUGH
bobby118 wrote: My car was parked southbound (just south of Keewatin) in front of 1000 Mt Pleasant Rd Toronto, and was ticketed & towed via police due to a no stopping violation between 7am & 9 weekdays.
The nearest signage for this infraction is approximately 100 meters south of where I parked (since the building is relatively new and no new signage have been posted). Google earth shows the old signage which no longer exists.
Can I fight this since I really cannot read a sign 100 meters away??

any thoughts..
Nov 30, 2010
8 posts
Toronto
Hi folks, I would like your opinion on my situation.

I parked on the street at Centre and Armoury (yeah really! right by the court!) and paid for parking with the machine. This was in July 2011.

I placed the "Leave on dash - this side up" half of the ticket on my dash, and kept the "receipt" portion in my pocket.

When I came back at roughly 03:30PM and I had a ticket offense on my windshield, stating at 03:11PM, i violated.

I realized at that point the ticket machine printed the time off-center, so that only "03:" showed on the "leave on dash" portion. So when I ripped the ticket to separate portions, the minutes portion of the time was on the "receipt" portion.

I had my SLR camera with me at the time, so I snapped pictures of the ticket "leave on dash" on my dashboard right there and then. I guess this is my evidence.

Dumb thing #1 on my part is, I lost the "receipt" portion, but I know that I paid well beyond 03:11PM. I suppose if the machine had any record keeping ability, it would know how much money I dumped in that machine, and when I did, so technically they could calculate how much time I really had.
But I'm not counting on that evidence ever being recovered if it exists.

I also knew on that day I couldn't be late to return to the car, and I did not pay less than 03:11PM because the whole place near the court is crawling with parking authorities. Duh!

Dumb thing #2 is that I no longer have the physical "leave on dash" ticket anymore. So all I have now are the photos I took on the actual day mentioned above.

So, I plan to fight this and went to the office to get the trial date. It's scheduled for May 2012.

My reasoning is that the machine is in error in not printing the time-stamp correctly on the "leave on dash" portion. After all, I'm supposed to take the receipt portion into my pocket and there is no obligation to leave that part on the dash right?

What do you think will happen in court? Any chance of fee being waived, or reduction in fine?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
bohred wrote: Hi folks, I would like your opinion on my situation.

I parked on the street at Centre and Armoury (yeah really! right by the court!) and paid for parking with the machine. This was in July 2011.

I placed the "Leave on dash - this side up" half of the ticket on my dash, and kept the "receipt" portion in my pocket.

When I came back at roughly 03:30PM and I had a ticket offense on my windshield, stating at 03:11PM, i violated.

I realized at that point the ticket machine printed the time off-center, so that only "03:" showed on the "leave on dash" portion. So when I ripped the ticket to separate portions, the minutes portion of the time was on the "receipt" portion.

I had my SLR camera with me at the time, so I snapped pictures of the ticket "leave on dash" on my dashboard right there and then. I guess this is my evidence.

Dumb thing #1 on my part is, I lost the "receipt" portion, but I know that I paid well beyond 03:11PM. I suppose if the machine had any record keeping ability, it would know how much money I dumped in that machine, and when I did, so technically they could calculate how much time I really had.
But I'm not counting on that evidence ever being recovered if it exists.

I also knew on that day I couldn't be late to return to the car, and I did not pay less than 03:11PM because the whole place near the court is crawling with parking authorities. Duh!

Dumb thing #2 is that I no longer have the physical "leave on dash" ticket anymore. So all I have now are the photos I took on the actual day mentioned above.

So, I plan to fight this and went to the office to get the trial date. It's scheduled for May 2012.

My reasoning is that the machine is in error in not printing the time-stamp correctly on the "leave on dash" portion. After all, I'm supposed to take the receipt portion into my pocket and there is no obligation to leave that part on the dash right?

What do you think will happen in court? Any chance of fee being waived, or reduction in fine?

your picture will be rejected as evidence and you will have no evidence. that's what may happen
I am afraid you are SOL

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)