Automotive

[Merged] Ask me anything about TORONTO Parking Tickets

Newbie
Nov 30, 2010
8 posts
Toronto
Thanks for your opinion.

That would be a bummer. Thanks for your opinion.

Why do you predict that the photograph will be rejected as evidence? Isn't it a reasonable piece of proof of truth (i.e. reality) in the court?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
bohred wrote: Thanks for your opinion.

That would be a bummer. Thanks for your opinion.

Why do you predict that the photograph will be rejected as evidence? Isn't it a reasonable piece of proof of truth (i.e. reality) in the court?

there are standards for the admissions of photos in court. you need to make sure your photos meet those standards
the same with pictures taken by the PEOs. they also take pictures. you can also take advantage of the same standards when the prosecutor presents his/her evidence
read this
http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/photos.php

having said all that, your ticket was valid. the PEO had no way to check the timestamp on your ticket. if you only have a pic of the "leave on dash" portion (wasn't that what you were saying?), it will only help the prosecutor
if you have no other evidence, you may be SOL
Member
Mar 5, 2011
222 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
lucia151515 wrote: Thank you for the reply..

So did you get two tickets? One for turning right at a prohibited red and another one for no insurance?
Did you file both tickets for option 2?

yes, the first ticket was just a city cylaw ticket for about $18 so i paid it. the 2nd one i brought to the office with me and had it cancelled by showing them my insurance.
Newbie
Mar 21, 2012
6 posts
I handed in my notice to appear in court a while ago but recently decided to just pay it off.

The web site says the ticket's already been paid off, the automated phone system says it's been cancelled. Is that true or is it just a side effect of notifying of intention to appear in court?
Newbie
Aug 20, 2011
4 posts
SCARBOROUGH
bobby118 wrote: My car was parked southbound (just south of Keewatin) in front of 1000 Mt Pleasant Rd Toronto, and was ticketed & towed via police due to a no stopping violation between 7am & 9 weekdays.
The nearest signage for this infraction is approximately 100 meters south of where I parked (since the building is relatively new and no new signage have been posted). Google earth shows the old signage which no longer exists.
Can I fight this since I really cannot read a sign 100 meters away??

Any Toronto bylaw experts out there?
Jr. Member
Dec 25, 2006
115 posts
13 upvotes
Hi,

My dad parked his car infront of his house. There was a fire hydrant but he made sure he was more than 3m away from it. Then a police cop car came. He didn't get out of his crusier to measure or whatever. He just wrote my dad a $100 dollar ticket and took off. My dad took pictures and the measured distance from his verhicle to the hydrant was 3.6 m. What are the odds of him winning this?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
SuperRed95 wrote: Hi,

My dad parked his car infront of his house. There was a fire hydrant but he made sure he was more than 3m away from it. Then a police cop car came. He didn't get out of his crusier to measure or whatever. He just wrote my dad a $100 dollar ticket and took off. My dad took pictures and the measured distance from his verhicle to the hydrant was 3.6 m. What are the odds of him winning this?

it was not a ticket for parking in front of the hydrant. that would be more expensive than $100. your dad possibly parked on the boulevard or on the street where parking was not allowed or not allowed for as long as he parked
you do not provide much details. it should be stated on the ticket what was the offence
Jr. Member
Dec 25, 2006
115 posts
13 upvotes
vero95 wrote: it was not a ticket for parking in front of the hydrant. that would be more expensive than $100. your dad possibly parked on the boulevard or on the street where parking was not allowed or not allowed for as long as he parked
you do not provide much details. it should be stated on the ticket what was the offence

Hi,

I don't remember the exact wording but when I flipped over the back of the ticket, the officer put an "x" to the box next to the "3m...fire hydrant..." Something along that line. I will look at the ticket again tonight and can provide the exact wording.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
SuperRed95 wrote: Hi,

I don't remember the exact wording but when I flipped over the back of the ticket, the officer put an "x" to the box next to the "3m...fire hydrant..." Something along that line. I will look at the ticket again tonight and can provide the exact wording.

sorry, I was wrong. it's $100 for parking near fire hydrant (offence 15) in Toronto. I thought it was more
http://www.toronto.ca/transportation/pa ... ns.htm#sig
if your dad did not park within 3m of the curb opposite the hydrant, I would fight it
Newbie
Feb 2, 2012
4 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Just had my day in court the other week for my $450 parking ticket - parking in a handicap spot without a permit (100% accidental - shrub covered sign). Anyway, this happened over 18 months ago so I submitted a charter motion to the court (11b application) and the JP instantly withdrew the charges. If "Fox1971" is still in the threads....thanks mate, couldn't have done it without you :lol:
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2010
773 posts
283 upvotes
I just realized i had a court date at 3pm today for a 40 dollar ticket parking longer than an hour.

after reading a few posts it looks like i have to wait till this is registered as a conviction and i can *try* to reopen the case? Thats if the JP would even want to put this into court.

But my reason would sound so bad... i had a early shift in the morning that once i got home i feel asleep forgetting about the court date. i just want to go to court to have it reduced to 10 dollars..

any one have tips?
Newbie
Apr 30, 2012
1 posts
NORTH YORK
quick question if anyone can help
i recently went to the ministry to plate a new car and the lady told me i had $600 in unpaid parking tickets i was shocked because i could have sworn about a year prior i paid these parking tickets off i went to the ministry a while after i stopped driving and asked to pay my parking tickets now i dont know what to do cause im almost sure i paid these tickets and i had to pay another $600 to get my plates is this a common problem with the ministry? what should i do? oh and also with my luck i lost the receipt for the tickets i paid the first time around :confused:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1805 upvotes
supernova82 wrote: quick question if anyone can help
i recently went to the ministry to plate a new car and the lady told me i had $600 in unpaid parking tickets i was shocked because i could have sworn about a year prior i paid these parking tickets off i went to the ministry a while after i stopped driving and asked to pay my parking tickets now i dont know what to do cause im almost sure i paid these tickets and i had to pay another $600 to get my plates is this a common problem with the ministry? what should i do? oh and also with my luck i lost the receipt for the tickets i paid the first time around :confused:

did you pay cash? if not, you should be able to get receipts from the bank
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2110 posts
646 upvotes
supernova82 wrote: quick question if anyone can help
i recently went to the ministry to plate a new car and the lady told me i had $600 in unpaid parking tickets i was shocked because i could have sworn about a year prior i paid these parking tickets off i went to the ministry a while after i stopped driving and asked to pay my parking tickets now i dont know what to do cause im almost sure i paid these tickets and i had to pay another $600 to get my plates is this a common problem with the ministry? what should i do? oh and also with my luck i lost the receipt for the tickets i paid the first time around :confused:

possibly one of the longest run on sentences i have seen in a while....
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27028 posts
6402 upvotes
Hamilton
Supercooled wrote: green p courtezy tix.. pay or no?

Pay... Next ticket will get your vehicle towed
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27028 posts
6402 upvotes
Hamilton
malecoke wrote: possibly one of the longest run on sentences i have seen in a while....

Lol
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Member
Dec 25, 2010
293 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
My court date for a $30 ticket I received in April 2011 is coming up at the end of this week and I have a few questions.

I had parked in a Green P lot, paid for my receipt, and when I was walking back to the car I realized I wasn't in an actual parking space (outer edge of the last lined space, technically in the aisle way). I parked there initially because there was another car opposite my "space". Since I wasn't in an actual spot in an otherwise full lot, and I was getting close to being late for a work meeting, I moved onto the adjacent street thinking my receipt from the lot would be OK. Apparently not.

I got a ticket for "Fail to Properly Display Receipt in Windshield" though the receipt from the lot was clearly displayed in the windshield. The real issue appears to be whether it was from the proper ticket machine. The parking rate is the same for both on and off street at this particular location ($2.50/hr) so it's not like I'm trying to short change the City. To be honest it didn't really cross my mind that off-street parking and on-street parking are two different "compartments" within the Toronto Parking Authority. The signage is identical and the receipts look identical. I assumed (wrongly, evidently) a valid receipt for the time frame was good on or off the street. I'm inclined to fight it just over principle but I'm not happy about taking time off work to do it.

Do I stand a reasonable chance of arguing this in court, or should I cave and pay the $30 at the last minute?

Does a 9AM trial mean my trial actually starts at 9AM, or do I have to sit around until I'm called?

Is there still a court fee if I actually do win?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3764 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Today, I was in the Jarvis/Wellesley area and received a ticket for parking in a lane. I looked at the sign and there was a sign posted on opposite sign of the road. There was no no parking sign or laneway sign where I parked. I was helping a family member installing some light figure and came out with a ticket on the windshield. Man are they getting sneaky or what. I always though parking signs where posted on and applied to where ever they are posted and not both sides of the road. Did something change. One sign applies to a whole road?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2010
3296 posts
432 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Got a ticket that hasn't been registered in both the online and phone payment systems and 13 days have passed since it was issued--Payment is due in 2 days. Would prefer to pay online as it gives a record of payment though I know that's unlikely given the slowness of government bureacracy, :lol: .
Would I be able to pay over the phone after speaking to a customer service rep about the problem?

Top