Ongoing Deal Discussion

BBQ Deals Thread

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
ahmerz wrote: Was looking at used weber and napolean, they are all rusted, none of them are in very good condition, comparing to my 14 years old lowes store brand flame grill, the burners gave way to rust couple of years ago but still 90% functional, flame cover are gone, griddles have little bit of rust, cook box still ok with rust, not falling apart, body still ok, and I paid 400 or so for this bbq.

Now days I put charcoal on the griddles and put another griddle from old bbq rested on two bricks to make shift charcoal grill, use burners to light up charcoal :) Grinning Face

So why bother with weber and napolean even if they get rusted, stick to medium quality bbq and replace them, ? Maybe?

I dont know if the broil mate brand I am looking for will last 14 years.
Broil King and Napoleon all have 15 year bumper to bumper warranties now so as long as you take care of it they are guaranteed to last at least that long. Honestly the warranties are insane now...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Aug 8, 2006
267 posts
147 upvotes
Halifax
ahmerz wrote: Thanks a alot, if you happen to fire up, pls post feedback , will pickup with free assembly
Heats up quick with only 3 burners lit on medium. Initial burn off all 4 burners on high maxed the lid thermometer, lol
Apr 15, 2020
73 posts
25 upvotes
hi guys and gals,

I need a bigger BBQ (family of 4 and growing kids (read: can eat a bull)) and my small Sterling is a limiting factor now, allthough still works great and hasnt rusted or anything - anywhere, and its 5 years old and was paid $220
unbelivable good build quality, havent even had it covered last two years.

what is out there that what I read so far, has cast aluminum box, good but not heavy lid, has 4-5 burners, and is a wide, spacious grill.
Would love to have a back burner so I could rotisery a chicken or piece of lamb/pork. Dont need side burners.

Broil king and Napoleon keep coming up as good, I would prefer buying canadian brand, or at least North American, built of course in NA.
Budget hopefullyt around 1K, but if something stands out, then 1500 could pass.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
Made in China Junk - all show and no substance - they call it Nexgrill because within 2 years you are looking for your next grill.

The first year - works OK - has hot and cool spots on the cooking surface.
The second year - cabinet getting wobbly, burners starting to rust, still has hot and cool spots on the cooking surface.
The third year - cabinet starting to rust, burners and heat shields are starting to develop rust holes - still has hot and cool spots on the cooking surface.
The fourth year - cabinet really wobbly and rusty, burners and heat shields pretty well shot, flames shooting up to the cooking surface - temperature gauge stopped working - at the end of the season
out on the curb it goes.

Or you can buy a Weber/Napoleon/Broil King (and sub brands) and enjoy many years of trouble free cooking.
Apr 16, 2008
543 posts
566 upvotes
Gabre80 wrote: hi guys and gals,

I need a bigger BBQ (family of 4 and growing kids (read: can eat a bull)) and my small Sterling is a limiting factor now, allthough still works great and hasnt rusted or anything - anywhere, and its 5 years old and was paid $220
unbelivable good build quality, havent even had it covered last two years.

what is out there that what I read so far, has cast aluminum box, good but not heavy lid, has 4-5 burners, and is a wide, spacious grill.
Would love to have a back burner so I could rotisery a chicken or piece of lamb/pork. Dont need side burners.

Broil king and Napoleon keep coming up as good, I would prefer buying canadian brand, or at least North American, built of course in NA.
Budget hopefullyt around 1K, but if something stands out, then 1500 could pass.
I recommend this model. Link to propane below, there is now a natural gas version too.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1001183433

Made by Onward Manufacturing in North America, stainless steel grids, rotisserie and rotisserie burner.

Side note, just noticed Home Depot has Napoleon grills made in China. Was Napoleon not exclusively made in Canada? The biggest difference I see in the Napoleon and Broil-Mate grills made outside North America is the weight. Although they are approximately the same size, the one linked above weighs in at 140lbs, whereas the $328 deal is only about 90lbs.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
Tyler18 wrote: I recommend this model. Link to propane below, there is now a natural gas version too.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1001183433

Made by Onward Manufacturing in North America, stainless steel grids, rotisserie and rotisserie burner.

Side note, just noticed Home Depot has Napoleon grills made in China. Was Napoleon not exclusively made in Canada? The biggest difference I see in the Napoleon and Broil-Mate grills made outside North America is the weight. Although they are approximately the same size, the one linked above weighs in at 140lbs, whereas the $328 deal is only about 90lbs.
Napoleon has been made in China for quite some time. Only the Prestige lines of Napoleon are made in North America. Broil King is all made in North America with some in Canada and others in the USA. Weber (not mentioned, but for sure in the "big 3" of grills) is also made in China.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tyler18 wrote: Made by Onward Manufacturing in North America, stainless steel grids, rotisserie and rotisserie burner.
Yabbut like almost everything that's "Made in NA" many parts are made in developing countries. In particular the stainless steel grids that Onward uses are made in China.

I don't understand the fixation with where something is made. What matters is the quality and reputation of the product manufacturer. I trust Onward. I don't trust some no-name generic manufacturer.

This applies to more than just BBQs. Some shocking news for fanboys: Half of top 200 Apple suppliers are within China's lockdown-hit areas; warning of a ‘complete halt’ to tech production
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
bylo wrote: Yabbut like almost everything that's "Made in NA" many parts are made in developing countries. In particular the stainless steel grids that Onward uses are made in China.

I don't understand the fixation with where something is made. What matters is the quality and reputation of the product manufacturer. I trust Onward. I don't trust some no-name generic manufacturer.

This applies to more than just BBQs. Some shocking news for fanboys: Half of top 200 Apple suppliers are within China's lockdown-hit areas; warning of a ‘complete halt’ to tech production
A higher paying wage for your neighbor is better than a poverty wage for a stranger half way across the globe I always say. Corporations are the only ones to profit when their sticker prices stay high and they decamp to Asia or elsewhere to lower their wage costs (as well as environmental, taxes and other costs). So if there's companies that will pay higher wages to labourers they deserve and they're my neighbors? That's better business.

Also most people would agree that Weber's of old (before the company was bought out) were better quality than before they moved their entire production line to Asia. It helps fuel the quality sentiment even if it's HQ cheaping out on design and part quality.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
LoANeal wrote: A higher paying wage for your neighbor is better than a poverty wage for a stranger half way across the globe I always say.
Yabbut most of the arguments in this thread about "Made in China" are based on supposedly poor product quality. Some even border on racism IMO.

My point is that Chinese made parts and products can vary in quality, just as parts and products made anywhere else on the planet.

We can debate the economic issues with respect to the pros and cons of "higher paying" menial jobs in Canada but that's a digression that's best discussed on a more appropriate thread.
Also most people would agree that Weber's of old (before the company was bought out) were better quality than before they moved their entire production line to Asia. It helps fuel the quality sentiment even if it's HQ cheaping out on design and part quality.
If that's indeed the case then it's on Weber, not China. Again lots of high quality reputable companies buy parts and do contract manufacturing in China.

One can't judge a bookBBQ by its coverwhere its lid is made.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 16, 2008
543 posts
566 upvotes
bylo wrote: Yabbut most of the arguments in this thread about "Made in China" are based on supposedly poor product quality. Some even border on racism IMO.

My point is that Chinese made parts and products can vary in quality, just as parts and products made anywhere else on the planet.

We can debate the economic issues with respect to the pros and cons of "higher paying" menial jobs in Canada but that's a digression that's best discussed on a more appropriate thread.

If that's indeed the case then it's on Weber, not China. Again lots of high quality reputable companies buy parts and do contract manufacturing in China.

One can't judge a bookBBQ by its coverwhere its lid is made.
To clarify, I was associating the overall weight of the product with the quality. Not sure how the $328 Broil-Mate (which happens to be made outside of NA) can weigh 50lbs less than the $599 grill (which happens to be made in NA). There are obviously material difference that will very likely impact the overall quality and longevity of the product. In this case, it’s not only the lower cost of manufacturing, there also appears to be a lower quality of materials.

The point I was making is exactly to not judge a book by its cover. Just because the grill says Broil-Mate, Napoleon, Weber, etc. does not mean they are all equal.

There is a whole discussion about supporting the local economy, but that is not for a thread about BBQ deals, save it for the off topic.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tyler18 wrote: To clarify, I was associating the overall weight of the product with the quality. Not sure how the $328 Broil-Mate (which happens to be made outside of NA) can weigh 50lbs less than the $599 grill (which happens to be made in NA). There are obviously material difference that will very likely impact the overall quality and longevity of the product. In this case, it’s not only the lower cost of manufacturing, there also appears to be a lower quality of materials.

The point I was making is exactly to not judge a book by its cover. Just because the grill says Broil-Mate, Napoleon, Weber, etc. does not mean they are all equal.

There is a whole discussion about supporting the local economy, but that is not for a thread about BBQ deals, save it for the off topic.
I think we're in agreement on all points.

Of course a $328 BM isn't going to be as good as a $1,000 BM. Otherwise no one would buy the more expensive version. But a $328 BM, no matter where it's made, is going to be a better value than most, if not all, no-name generic products. In particular it's going to have a better warranty, better warranty fulfillment should it be required and better after-warranty support (parts availability, etc.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
4020 posts
3369 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Thoughts on the Napoleon LEX485 NG vs. Weber S-310 NG?

The Weber is half the BTU and no side burner. But should be better quality?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
AdamKing wrote: Thoughts on the Napoleon LEX485 NG vs. Weber S-310 NG?

The Weber is half the BTU and no side burner. But should be better quality?
The LEX line is just a Canadian tire exclusive line of Napoleon grills from what I recall, and Weber's quality isn't really all there anymore since they were bought out. I would go Napoleon as aside from looks it's all around better. Also lifetime warranty on the cookbox!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
My Weber S330 hasn’t been lighting well lately and I know some wires have been damaged (by mice) so I’m hoping that replacing the igniter wires resolves the issue - as the ceramic and igniter part itself is replaced.

Has anyone had this issue and resolved it before. If so, what parts did you replace or what did you do?

Also, where is the best place to get Weber parts. I seem to be able to get the part online (part number 62754 ) for about $45 to my house so that may be the best deal possible?
Feb 18, 2022
368 posts
330 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was eying this one : https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1001657238

and then I saw other bbq in the same price range

My favorite so far with stainless steel grill
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nexgri ... 1001570304

But also note worthy :

Char-boil - 399 in store price (no open box to see how it was made)
https://www.renodepot.com/en/char-broil ... 0-18615020

Which one you think its worth buying?

Any recommendations between the 3?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
Delidelo wrote: I was eying this one : https://www.homedepot.ca/product/broil- ... 1001657238

and then I saw other bbq in the same price range

My favorite so far with stainless steel grill
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nexgri ... 1001570304

But also note worthy :

Char-boil - 399 in store price (no open box to see how it was made)
https://www.renodepot.com/en/char-broil ... 0-18615020

Which one you think its worth buying?

Any recommendations between the 3?
I can for sure say don't buy nexxgrill as they're junk. Tons of hot and cold spots and you'll likely need to replace in a couple years. Broil Mate I would recommend out of the 3 as they are made by Onward Manufacturing which also makes Broil King. Parts are readily available and are generally decent quality
Aug 3, 2010
123 posts
50 upvotes
Can I use propane bbq with natural gas ? Seems propane bbq are in general cheaper, and I have natural gas on my patio

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)