Travel

[Merged] Going to Maui. Where to Stay and other Tips Please...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2012 1:50 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
1887 posts
247 upvotes
roskho wrote: If we rent a condo in Kihei and want to take a road trip to Hana and back...
- which direction would you depart?
- which direction would you return from?
- is this more than a one-day trip?

Also, has anyone camped-out, via pitching their own tent, while travelling/hiking through Maui?

Thanks guys!
See TA - Road to Hana thread
I haven't been to Maui for about 3 years so unless its changed the south side is very bumpy and partly has only dirt and gravel roads. Some people at that time suggest to go to Hana from the north and return. There were also cautions about not using rental cars on the non-paved parts. My kids were young at the time so I did not go full circle. Either way its not more than a 1 day trip.
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2840 posts
226 upvotes
MJB wrote: See TA - Road to Hana thread
I haven't been to Maui for about 3 years so unless its changed the south side is very bumpy and partly has only dirt and gravel roads. Some people at that time suggest to go to Hana from the north and return. There were also cautions about not using rental cars on the non-paved parts. My kids were young at the time so I did not go full circle. Either way its not more than a 1 day trip.
I was in Maui 2 years ago and did the Road to Hana trip. If you are doing this trip, start very early in the morning, and it'll not be a problem of making a day trip. There are lots of stopping points for falls, beaches, parks, etc....very enjoyable day trip. However, I would not want to be driving when it gets dark. I did the full circle drive, starting from the north and coming back through the south by the cemetary/park.
I can honesty tell you there were moments during the drive when we were past the Seven Sacred Pools(O'heo Gulch) that I felt a little nervous with the driving, and had thoughts of turning back, but in the end we made it out fine. And I would consider myself a rather risk taker when it comes to driving.

I would say, its definitely a must-see when on Maui. But use your good judgement on whether to continue your drive after the Seven Sacred Pools, or turn back and head home the way you came from. The drive up to the Seven Sacred Pools is not bad at all.
Jun 11, 2012
5 posts
Mississauga
Another vote here for the Maui Ocean Center. They have a underwater walkway through the aquarium that is just awesome.

Also I would recommend going up to the Haleakala Crater. It's a bit of a drive up, but the view from the top is just wonderful.

Lahaina is also one of my favourite places ever, a nice little town for a wander round, grabbing an ice cream, and sitting in the park! I've been to Lahaina a few times and always see whales too, but I think that's a Maui thing in general.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1939 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Melovedeals, I've been to Maui a number of times.

Best car rental discount is through Costco website. Best deal you will find.

Black Rock is the best place to snorkel and the Sheraton is just beside it. A movie was recently filmed there not the Descendants but a movie regarding a Tsunami. Great views. There is also Wailea but $$$$ still prefer Black Rock at the Kanapali.

Hana Drive, drive up the volcano, Lahaina for nightly strolls, and a number of beaches to visit.

Best breakfast at Napili Bay, Plantation and Gazebo (go early).
Jul 25, 2009
225 posts
2058 upvotes
Hey RFDers,

Just booked Maui with the wifey. First time to Hawaii (we chose Maui). We are staying in Kaanapali and Wailea...looks beautiful.

Going to figure out some day trips/excursions now.

Anyone have any ideas/input?

Any help is appreciated!

THANKS!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1921 posts
124 upvotes
-Hike into Haleakala, it's the volcano caldera. Check out Silver Swords growing in the only place they grow on the planet, see Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea from afar.
-Watch surfers at the huge waves on Ho‘okipa on the North Side. They are grade A insane, lots of crosses and memorials on the rocks.
-Snorkel Molikini.
-The Maui Ocean Centre is pretty cool, they have a glass tube you can walk through with tiger sharks and stuff.
-Take surfing lessons, it's way harder than it looks.
Feb 3, 2009
23 posts
2 upvotes
Maui is AMAZING! Wish I was still there...

Since you are staying in 2 different parts of the island, I suggest you plan around those areas; Kaanapali is on the west side and Wailea is on the east side.

While you are on the west side: luau (either Feast at lele-table for 2 or old lahaina luau-more authentic), surfing lessons, shopping on front street (if that's your thing)
While you are on the east side: surfing lessons (we liked the calmer waters in Kihei), snorkel Molokini, visit Haleakala, road to Hana (stop by cute town of Paia), shopping at high end Wailea mall (if that's your thing)

Close to airport: Ioa needle (quick stop but it was beautiful)

Visit different beaches-there are sooo many to choose from

Enjoy the beauty of Hawaii!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8678 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
If going to Iao Needle, look up the sky near the moutain peak. If it's clear, go. It's often cloudy. So if you see it's clear, don't wait.

It can take 1/2 for the drive up Mt. Haleakala. It's not really a mountain, but peak of volcano. Take a few hikes and of course lots of pics. This is also something better done in the morning, as it often gets cloudy in the afternoon. Some people like to go up the mountain in the early hours to watch the sunrise. It's great but can disturb your sleep patterns. But it's 6 hr difference for those in EST, so your sleep pattern already needs adjustments when there, so maybe not an issue.

The Road to Hana is about stopping at many places, take a number of hikes and enjoy the scenery, smell the flowers, maybe jump under the falls, etc. At the Wainapanapa Park/beach, take some strolls or even jump into the ocean at the black sand beach.

To go snorkeling at Molokini, it's better done in the early morning, as the trade winds and chops pick up by noon, so it's usually not doable in the afternoon. If you are a diver, try to get a dive at the backwall, it's amazing.

Maui is a bit if mystic feeling, when you can see a few other islands near by.

If you are a good driver, can consider a drive from Lahaina, going north, round the west/north, to Kahului. It's a very nice, breathtaking drive, but not for the faint hearted. There are some narrow windy roads, some unpaved, and some only good for one car -- sometimes you may have to backup down hill, so the other car coming the other direction can get by.
Oct 15, 2004
44 posts
10 upvotes
Lucky ducks! We were just there this past Fall. I would highly recommend that you go see the sunrise at Haleakala as it is a once in a lifetime view. Can't say we've seen one like that before. Since you are staying in Kaanapali I would recommend that you guys bring water shoes. The beach can be a bit rocky there.

If you guys are interested in going for an ATV tour, I would highly recommend Kahoma Ranch.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1998 posts
173 upvotes
Not sure why I never mentioned dining at Mama's Fish House in my previous post but that was one of our favourite meals ever. It is $$$$ but worth it. The Mama’s mahi mahi stuffed with lobster & crab and baked in a macadamia nut crust was incredible.
May 28, 2012
10926 posts
3104 upvotes
Saskatoon
We normally are on Oahu during December, but thought we'd give Maui a try this year. Wow, 20+ days in Kihei so far, and not one day with rain. There has been a bit of wind, but nothing like last year on Oahu.