Credit Cards

Locked: [Merged] How many credit cards do you have?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 8:19 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: How many credit cards do you have?

• Total votes: 490. You have voted on this poll.

0%

5%

11%

15%

16%

12%

11%

7%

6%
9+

19%
Jan 10, 2018
344 posts
198 upvotes
Between the wife and I we have 4 that is going to be reduced to 3. 2 under her name and 1 under mine.

Bmo World MC - about to be canceled
Amex reserve airmiles
Amex SPG
Td VISA areoplan infinite

We used to be all in on the airmiles program, but that has been deteriorating the past couple years. The elemination of the 25% discount and lack of bonus promos has made the MC useless. The bulk of our airmiles come from Safeway.

The Amex reserve offers lounge passes, companion flight, waived booking fees and flex fly redemption. Not to mention great bonus promo’s

The TD aeroplan visa is to replace the MC where Amex isn’t accepted and will be used for the next couple years until Air Canada parts ways.

The Amex SPG is now going to be the main card to collect points for free hotel stays as we got flights covered
Last edited by Tommycoupons on Feb 15th, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1143 posts
454 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I have 9 total...quite a bit but I use them all for certain things:
1. NBC Syncro 2. Desjardins Modulo Gold 3.MBNA Trueline 4. CIBC select Visa, carry my balances on these

5. Scene Visa, use only at cineplex for extra scene points and spouse as supplementary holder as the limit is only 500 lol

6. Canadian Tire Options 7. Visions.ca CC, use both for 0% financing and 4% cb at canadian tire

8. Capitalone Aspire travel, got it for free bonus leave it be to bring my utilization down

9. BMO cashback world elite, use it for all bills daily expenses, any major purchases I can pay back within a month to take advantage of 3 year total warranty try to push at least 2000-2500 through it per month
Nov 22, 2017
61 posts
104 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote: Leave them if they are old cards.

I keep 1 card that is my oldest. It is pretty crappy card but was one of my first from 1997. I asked them to reduce the limit to $500. I keep it in a drawer but have it on Android pay. Use it once a year.

Besides that my main card is the capital one aspire travel which gives me 2%. $20 annual fee.

I have chase Marriott and Amazon. Marriott was intended to churn and Amazon I kept for no forex. These 2 will be replaced with hometrust and/or brim for no forex. These are in a drawer until I travel.

I have BMO world elite card for the free lounge passes and have it on Android pay and use it for eating places and travel (2.14% return). Keep this in a drawer

Last I have westjet card. Use it for the companion voucher and 3c off gas. Keep this in my wallet. $119 annual fee.
this capital one aspire travel gives you 2% cash back or 2% what? looking on the website I see the "aspire travel platinum mastercard" but says nothing about 2% and its no annual fee. then I see the world elite that has 2% but its $150 / year. trying to find this card because I'd love to pay $20 a year for 2% back if you could help me out haha.
Oct 31, 2009
404 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
1. Cap1 Aspire MC WE (grandfathered): primary
2. AMEX SPG: secondary
3. RBC Westjet MC WE: for Westjet flights
4. TD Visa Inf CB: Non-costco grocery and gas
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6054 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
I just cancelled 3 cards I don't use and got myself a Cap1 Platinum MC (the one that doubles as a Costco card). I already pay for a Costco membership so why not. The 2% on gas doesn't hurt either.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I currently have 3:
- MBNA Rewards World Elite: My daily for most things
- Amex Cobalt: for eating out and the occasional grocery store that's x5 the points
- RBC Cashback MC: my oldest card which I keep open and occasionally buy things with to have activity.
Jan 2, 2009
208 posts
94 upvotes
I have 5 :

- Amex Cobalt : My main card, use it for groceries and to buy gift cards at grocery stores and prepaid mastercards for non Amex places
- Cap1 2% World Elite Grandfathered $20 AF : backup when I dont have gift cards lying around for a place I'm at, for non AMEX places, or I dont have enough on my prepaid MC
- Rogers MC : just for my Rogers bill and buying online/travelling when buying in other currencies
- MBNA RWE 2% $0 AF : in the drawer, its one of my older cards and I prefer the Cap1
- Amex BlueSky : in the drawer also an old card
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6907 posts
5592 upvotes
vend87 wrote: this capital one aspire travel gives you 2% cash back or 2% what? looking on the website I see the "aspire travel platinum mastercard" but says nothing about 2% and its no annual fee. then I see the world elite that has 2% but its $150 / year. trying to find this card because I'd love to pay $20 a year for 2% back if you could help me out haha.
The cap one card I have is no longer available.
Jan 5, 2016
403 posts
257 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
-MBNA Rewards WE Mastercard
-Scotiabank Gold Amex

-PCF WE Mastercard
-CT Options Mastercard
-Scene Visa
Apr 1, 2017
25 posts
23 upvotes

CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite (on FYF)
Home Trust Preferred Visa (no Forex)
Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite (on FYF)
BMO CashBack MC (fee free)
Canadian Tire Cash Advantage MC (use to pay car loan and utilities)
Capital One MC ($59 fee, no rewards, oldest card, need to cancel)
PC Financial WE MC (use at Shoppers/No Frills, etc.)
RBC Cash Back WE MC (on FYF)
Rogers MC (use for US expenses (other than purchases))
Tangerine MC (use for some categories not covered elsewhere)
Scotia Amex Gold (on FYF)
AMEX Cobalt ($10/month)
AMEX SimplyCash (used to be SimplyCash Preferred, AMEX let me convert to fee free version)

I also have an Amazon Visa that is being cancelled March 15
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11669 posts
14022 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
noahlittlpeep wrote: Canadian Tire Cash Advantage MC (use to pay car loan and utilities)
And how are you pulling this off?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1087 posts
832 upvotes
Mississauga
coolintheshade wrote: And how are you pulling this off?
I do this too with Ford Credit
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11669 posts
14022 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
hopetindall wrote: I do this too with Ford Credit
Ford credit is actually a payee with CTFS?
Interesting?
Apr 1, 2017
25 posts
23 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: And how are you pulling this off?
I use CTFSPayments to pay Ford Credit and Enbridge Gas with my Canadian Tire Card. (I don't know if other auto finance companies are also in the list - but my loan is with Ford.)
Apr 1, 2017
25 posts
23 upvotes
Hopefully the RFD effect doesn't change this
Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 13.57.23.png
Feb 15, 2018
2 posts
ZERO.

And I plan to keep it this way.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
  1. Tangerine MC (Restaurants, recurring bills, transit/parking)
  2. AMEX Simply Cash (was thinking of killing it, but keeping for Amazon and other purchases I can't get 2% on from Tangerine, plus the AMEX perks)
  3. PC WE (newest 'oldest' card, upgraded from regular PC card which was my oldest recently)
  4. CTC Cash Advantage (utilities, property tax, purchases at CTC)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5709 posts
2278 upvotes
1 Scotiabank Gold Amex (will cancel and churn soon)
2 TD Visa Infinite Cash Back (PAPs, Deluxe Auto Club, and Gas/Groceries @ 3%, still on FYF)
3 BMO WE Travel MC (Thinking about cancelling but I enjoy the lounge access when I travel and still have a bunch of points to use this year)
4 Chase Amazon.ca Visa (Will be closed in March)
5 HomeTrust Visa (Replacement for Amazon Visa for Forex purchases)

These cards collect dust:
6 RBC Rewards Gold Visa (Oldest card)
7 MBNA SmartCash MC (2nd oldest card)
8 MBNA Rewards MC (Not sure why I opened this a few months ago but I think I'll cancel it after I redeem the cash back)
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11669 posts
14022 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
ProfessorChaos wrote: MBNA Rewards MC (Not sure why I opened this a few months ago but I think I'll cancel it after I redeem the cash back)
I also got one, but last month.
$60 GCR, $50 after first purchase, and an outlet to stash my 0% PP limit once it comes time to reapply for another 0% PP.
Those are the reasons I got one :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
Here is my list:
Amex SimplyCash prefer: 2% cash rebate. My default card if it is accepted.
Capital One Costco Master: Mainly use for restaurant (3% Cash rebate) and Costco only.
Bay Master: Use at the Bay only.
RBC Avion: My travel card. Come as part of my VIP banking package
Rogers MC: Just got it 2 weeks ago to replace Marriott visa for Non CAD Purchase, and use to pay bill at PayTM. Because it have 1.75% cash rebate.

My prefer model is only 1 Amex, 1 Visa, 1 MC. However I just have more card and as you can see, some of them only use for very specific purchase.
(.In case of Bay and Costco MC).
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)