• Jun 12th, 2015 8:55 am
1471 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1398 posts
898 upvotes
Damed wrote: http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/Spec ... tions.aspx

Pretty crazy.

You could be driving a brand new Sante Fe for $350 a month tax in. My brother saw it and is at the dealer now getting his.

last year they had a crazy accent sport manual for 9999 0 down 0% 60 mo (i think may be even 84, not sure)
now they jacked up 3500 ? thats significant.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
2159 posts
370 upvotes
Caledon, ON
My 2002 Hyundai Sonata was by far the worst car I have EVER owned (and I've owned Fords in the 1980's :facepalm: ).

There were/are no after market parts; Brake Rotors were $160 each, paper thin, and couldn't be machined even once. By comparison, at the time Impala Rotors cost $120 and could be machined 3-4 times. Same went for every other part - the best being the O2 sensor that was not in stock in North America and took 6 weeks to come from oversea's... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hyundai's are cheap out the door, but kill you on parts and repairs over the life of the vehicle (which I would say is no more than 5 years).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7885 upvotes
Kitchener
bilaliz wrote: last year they had a crazy accent sport manual for 9999 0 down 0% 60 mo (i think may be even 84, not sure)
now they jacked up 3500 ? thats significant.
Actually, it was $9995 and it came with a $3500 gas card on top of that.
Jan 2, 2006
695 posts
25 upvotes
Oakville
Trifid wrote: My 2002 Hyundai Sonata was by far the worst car I have EVER owned (and I've owned Fords in the 1980's :facepalm: ).

There were/are no after market parts; Brake Rotors were $160 each, paper thin, and couldn't be machined even once. By comparison, at the time Impala Rotors cost $120 and could be machined 3-4 times. Same went for every other part - the best being the O2 sensor that was not in stock in North America and took 6 weeks to come from oversea's... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hyundai's are cheap out the door, but kill you on parts and repairs over the life of the vehicle (which I would say is no more than 5 years).

A 2002, likely made in 2001, so you're talking about a 10 year old car. Hyundai's have changed since then. Its like you said, you owned a Ford from the 80's...not a Ford but a Ford from the 80's.

I'd say Hyundai is much improved since then.
Jun 10, 2008
63 posts
1 upvote
Richmond
Wow...time to take a look at the Sonata turbo
Oct 18, 2010
364 posts
187 upvotes
Hyundai has improved leaps and bounds over the past 5 years. They're easily one of the best options for the getting the most for your money out right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
2056 posts
563 upvotes
Springfield
IntrepidRT wrote: Actually, it was $9995 and it came with a $3500 gas card on top of that.

Nope, you couldn't combine the two. Could have been the greatest car deal ever.
Mar 13, 2005
736 posts
456 upvotes
Looks like the gas card is only good for 1000L (or 1200L for SUV/CUV). :(
Feb 9, 2005
307 posts
17 upvotes
Gatineau
Trifid wrote: My 2002 Hyundai Sonata was by far the worst car I have EVER owned (and I've owned Fords in the 1980's :facepalm: ).

maybe the old school hyundais were terrible, but lately, they've been pretty impressive...i've got a 2006 Sonata with 125 000Km on it and very minor problems to date....other than the regular oil changes, i've spent less than $500 on maintenance on it over the last 5 years.... i would highly recommend Hyundai to anyone....i'm in the market for a minivan and am pretty disappointed they don't make the entourage anymore....otherwise, i would buy a hyundai again...
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4161 posts
692 upvotes
Pickering, ON
mtl_cheapo wrote: maybe the old school hyundais were terrible, but lately, they've been pretty impressive...i've got a 2006 Sonata with 125 000Km on it and very minor problems to date....other than the regular oil changes, i've spent less than $500 on maintenance on it over the last 5 years.... i would highly recommend Hyundai to anyone....i'm in the market for a minivan and am pretty disappointed they don't make the entourage anymore....otherwise, i would buy a hyundai again...

Aside from it being kinda ugly, why not get a Sedona? Same thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2983 posts
817 upvotes
Brother got them to add the extra 2 year warranty to bring it to 7 years bumper to bumper

He bought the Santa Fe as spec'd in the ad (2,4L GL manual)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2983 posts
817 upvotes
rfcxxx wrote: I'd say Hyundai is much improved since then.

I have a 2005 Sante Fe that I bought used in 2009.

I've put 60k on since then and it's been rock solid. No complaints. It's the basis for why my brother chose to buy a new one today.
Dec 5, 2006
95 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
84 months? Is any vehicle that is 7 years old worth the same as brand new? You could buy a 7 year old vehicle for a margin of the cost, no matter what the nameplate. 7 years is a LONG time to be tied down to something that depreciates that much. That might be one of the dumbest decisions I've read today, which leads me to believe this is an April's Fool Day joke. Yes, a dealership can offer that long of a lease/buy, but that's a very bad investment. You should never lease/buy a vehicle beyond 4-5 years max, otherwise its not the same vehicle anymore.

Please, don't buy on those terms.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2983 posts
817 upvotes
Aerius Zension wrote: Please, don't buy on those terms.

At 0% financing, you're using THEIR money.

Also, like I said - they extended the warranty to 7 years bumper to bumper for my brother's purchase.

So..

Interest free financing for 7 years which makes monthly payments more affordable
no repairs (other than the regular tires, brakes and consumables)

That's a cheap way to drive a new vehicle. One you regularly may not have been able to afford.

If you take care of it and maintain it, there's no reason you can't get 10 years/250,000km+ out of a brand new car.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7885 upvotes
Kitchener
hopsoid wrote: Nope, you couldn't combine the two. Could have been the greatest car deal ever.
Thanks for clearing that up........I wasn't even interested for $6500.......but yes, it would've been an excellent deal.
Nov 14, 2005
160 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Aerius Zension wrote: 84 months? Is any vehicle that is 7 years old worth the same as brand new? You could buy a 7 year old vehicle for a margin of the cost, no matter what the nameplate. 7 years is a LONG time to be tied down to something that depreciates that much. That might be one of the dumbest decisions I've read today, which leads me to believe this is an April's Fool Day joke. Yes, a dealership can offer that long of a lease/buy, but that's a very bad investment. You should never lease/buy a vehicle beyond 4-5 years max, otherwise its not the same vehicle anymore.

Please, don't buy on those terms.

its 0% financing tho.. i'm confused by your response... do you change cars every 3 years?