Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 384. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Trixie12 wrote: I have my surgery booked at Lasik MD in Ottawa for April 17th.

My prescription is -1.75 and -2.00 with a mild astigmatism.

I was quoted $490 per eye for Standard Lasik with Keratome and $690 per eye for Standard Lasik Intralase SBK.

I was also quoted $3980-$4380 if I want Wavefront Lasik.

I was advised that the standard will be just fine to improve my vision...I am thinking I will go with the $690 per eye.

Here is my question....they have offered me the Vision Enhancement Plan ranging from $150 to $250 per eye depending on the amount of years I choose.These all include all post-operative visits for the first year. The plan then offers enhancements free of charge for 1-5 years depending on which you choose. If you choose none then your visits are cover for the year but enhancements are not.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it really needed? what are the chance that I will require an enhancement in the 1-5 years after the surgery.

I'm wondering if this is just an upsell like the warranty they always try to sell you when you buy electronics. Is it actually worthwhile or is just a money grab?

Thanks!
IMHO, it's very much like upselling warranty. First of all, if you go for standard instead of wavefront, it's not that much money anyway, compared to the cost of extra plan. That plan will only cover enhancements done with the exact same technology. So if in the future better techniques are available, it will still not cover them. Also, if you're young 5 years is not that likely to need enhancements. I've read of people going back 7-10 years later for corrections, but 5 seems like a pretty small amount of time.

Another thing is you would have to come back to the same clinic (or to some LasikMD clinic) to do the enhancements under the plan. If there is a chance that you'll move somewhere else in several years, it might not make sense to travel back for enhancements.

Another Toronto clinic was offering a plan where for a set fee they promise to provide any future enhancements at a rate of $500 per eye using whatever is the most current and advanced technology available. Their rates for a procedure today were somewhere between $2500-$3000 per eye, and they did not offer anything "standard", only the highest end tech available.

I decided against these additional plans. If I need corrections in the future, I'm prepared to pay out of pocket.
Feb 11, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
greenmoon wrote: IMHO, it's very much like upselling warranty. First of all, if you go for standard instead of wavefront, it's not that much money anyway, compared to the cost of extra plan. That plan will only cover enhancements done with the exact same technology. So if in the future better techniques are available, it will still not cover them. Also, if you're young 5 years is not that likely to need enhancements. I've read of people going back 7-10 years later for corrections, but 5 seems like a pretty small amount of time.

Another thing is you would have to come back to the same clinic (or to some LasikMD clinic) to do the enhancements under the plan. If there is a chance that you'll move somewhere else in several years, it might not make sense to travel back for enhancements.

Another Toronto clinic was offering a plan where for a set fee they promise to provide any future enhancements at a rate of $500 per eye using whatever is the most current and advanced technology available. Their rates for a procedure today were somewhere between $2500-$3000 per eye, and they did not offer anything "standard", only the highest end tech available.

I decided against these additional plans. If I need corrections in the future, I'm prepared to pay out of pocket.
Thank you for your feedback.

I am 40 years old so I'm not sure if that's considered "old" :)

I guess I was worried that if they do the surgery and it ends up either over or under corrected then I will be charged for an enhancement to correct it....but Im not sure how oftern that happens.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Hey guys, send me a PM before you go in for your initial consultation and May be able to swing you a small deal. If you have another deal, yours is probably better.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Trixie12 wrote: Thank you for your feedback.

I am 40 years old so I'm not sure if that's considered "old" :)

I guess I was worried that if they do the surgery and it ends up either over or under corrected then I will be charged for an enhancement to correct it....but Im not sure how oftern that happens.
If you're over or under corrected during the surgery it will be obvious within a month or so, and will be covered by the standard terms (which is 1 year guarantee). At 40 I would say a greater concern is potential development of presbyopia, and traditional lasik techniques are not going to help with that.

I'd suggest you to book a few more appointments with different clinics and see what other doctors say. I'm not sure how many doctors you have seen, but personally, on my first consultation I was rather clueless, despite doing some preliminary research into it. Once you hear several opinions and make additional research you will have a much better understanding of what your current condition is, how the procedure will affect you, and what concerns are important in your specific situation.
Aug 15, 2014
11 posts
1 upvote
Pickering, ON
I have an appointment for Saturday, they told me to stop wearing contacts for 24 hours before, does anyone know if that is enough?
Feb 11, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
jrychlik wrote: Hey guys, send me a PM before you go in for your initial consultation and May be able to swing you a small deal. If you have another deal, yours is probably better.
I would assume it's too late as I already had my consultation?
Jun 3, 2012
609 posts
244 upvotes
Scarborough
I went to Lasik MD for a consultation and was quoted at $3500 for standard and $4200 for wavefront. My eyes are about -3.5 with a minor astigmatism. What is the likelihood I can find a clinic to do this for a cheaper price?
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
airmax95 wrote: I went to Lasik MD for a consultation and was quoted at $3500 for standard and $4200 for wavefront. My eyes are about -3.5 with a minor astigmatism. What is the likelihood I can find a clinic to do this for a cheaper price?
In GTA - pretty much nil. Clinics in Vancouver do it cheaper, but your travel expenses might negate any benefit. Lasik MD offers small discounts if you have insurance from Manulife or some other affiliations, but that's about all you can do.
May 10, 2010
29 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I am sure someone already asked this before.. can someone give me some feed back on Bochner Eye vs TLC?
Oct 4, 2014
109 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Im 35 and my left eye is farsighted and right eye is near sighted
i have appointment on end of this month for check up
im curious about the side affect of lasik like halos etc ? anyone with such experience ?
Feb 20, 2004
713 posts
130 upvotes
Markham
Going to the Bochner Eye Institute Wednesday to get my eyes done. Can't wait!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6142 posts
1413 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thunderbirds wrote: Im 35 and my left eye is farsighted and right eye is near sighted
i have appointment on end of this month for check up
im curious about the side affect of lasik like halos etc ? anyone with such experience ?
dry eyes, starbursts/halos at night

I had lasik 4 yrs ago but have not experienced dry eyes since
Feb 20, 2004
713 posts
130 upvotes
Markham
Well, got LASIK done yesterday at the Bochner Eye Institute and I couldn't be happier. I went for my checkup today and was told everything is great, no problems and my eyes are healing perfectly.

The staff were amazng as was Dr Stein. They answered all my questions before the procedure. I didn't know this, but Dr Stein sees you before the procedure. He gives you a once over to make sure everything is good, he even asked me if I had any last minute questions that he could answer!!!

During the procedure, the assistants and Dr Stein kept talking to me, telling me what was happening, that I was doing great and how much time was left during that particular part of the procedure. The nice thing was that they would count down the time of the procedure, letting me know when they'd be done. Dr Stein also held onto my head so I wouldn't accidentally move.

It was very difficult to see after, so the staff helped me upstairs where they called a cab for me.

As soon as I got home, I started the eye drop regime and they really helped with the irritation. Contrary to what people say, you do not have to sleep after you get home, although, I did have a 30 minute nap. My eyes didn't hurt much, they were a little irritated but not enough to take any pain killers. I did take the freezing drops and that helped with the irritation.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the results. I highly recommend Bochner to get your eyes done.
Jun 27, 2006
233 posts
3 upvotes
Hello,

For anyone who has gotten laser surgery, please share your experience. Was it lasik? Lasek? I hear better things about Lasek (Goldberg in Markham).

Are you happy with your decision? Do you suffer from any side effects? may also ask how much you paid?

Ps. I am 29 and as I understand, it should be safe to get the surgery now as the vision doesn't change much beyond the age of 25 (I'm not sure how true this is, as mine did worsen in one eye by .25 in the past few years).

Thank you.