Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 384. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Oct 26, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I just called NVISION and apparently the clinic is closing. I went in for a consultation about a month ago and have been trying to schedule a day for the surgery and they've been very coy on dates. After a number of ignored e-mails I called again today, and they mentioned that they aren't taking any more appointments and that the clinic is shutting down. They mentioned something to do with their parent company in LA but wouldn't go into anymore detail... A bit unfortunate given all the positive reviews, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up...
Dec 5, 2017
42 posts
8 upvotes
michael_f wrote: I just called NVISION and apparently the clinic is closing. I went in for a consultation about a month ago and have been trying to schedule a day for the surgery and they've been very coy on dates. After a number of ignored e-mails I called again today, and they mentioned that they aren't taking any more appointments and that the clinic is shutting down. They mentioned something to do with their parent company in LA but wouldn't go into anymore detail... A bit unfortunate given all the positive reviews, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up...
Wow that's unfortunate for all those people in this thread who had surgery there. Not too surprising though since when I went in and found out that their doctors fly in from the US to do surgery.
Sep 3, 2008
196 posts
19 upvotes
michael_f wrote: I just called NVISION and apparently the clinic is closing. I went in for a consultation about a month ago and have been trying to schedule a day for the surgery and they've been very coy on dates. After a number of ignored e-mails I called again today, and they mentioned that they aren't taking any more appointments and that the clinic is shutting down. They mentioned something to do with their parent company in LA but wouldn't go into anymore detail... A bit unfortunate given all the positive reviews, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up...
Thanks for the heads up!! My consultation is supposed to be on Friday. I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what's going on.
Feb 26, 2019
15 posts
3 upvotes
Had a consultation for Friday. They phoned me about an hour ago to cancel.

Where is everyone headed to now? Vancouver?
Oct 26, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Please do! I wonder how this will affect patients who need follow-up appointment or touch ups.

A bit more more on my search, I went to LasikMD, Herzig and NVISION. Bochner couldn't accomodate a consultation for a few months so I turned them down. I thought Lasik and Herzig was the most thorough of the ones I went to, but was pretty set on NVISION given the positive reviews here. When I went, I had a half-consultation (optometrist didn't show up due to weather that day), but was still committed to NVISION despite this poor experience. I have really bad eyes (+7.25/+5.5 and really bad astigmatism, so equivalent of almost +9 eyes and been wearing glasses/contacts for 15 years) and both Lasik and NVISION recommended custom all-laser lasik. Herzig recommended IOL, but it was double the price of lasik and I don't like the concept of getting a lens installed in my eyes and the risks that come with it.

I tried making appointments at NVISION and in retrospect, it makes sense that they kept saying they were waiting for their Doctor's schedules in March. Now I will be going with LasikMD now for custom lasik all laser surgery performed by Avi Wallerstein, the co-founder, so hopefully I'm still in good hands still!

Has anyone with a bad eye prescription similar to mine done all laser lasik before? I've heard I may need a touch up due to the severity of my eyes and will likely have dry eyes as well given I've worn contacts for 10+ years.
Aug 24, 2008
21 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
My wife just got a call from the Nvision about cancelling her appoinment. She had lasik 6 months ago and was going to meet with Nvision about an enhancement. They said that Dr Machat might be joining another clinic. So wife is now considering whether she should seek out Dr. Machat about the possibility of enhancement or be happy with -0.75/-1.0.
Dec 5, 2017
42 posts
8 upvotes
michael_f wrote: Please do! I wonder how this will affect patients who need follow-up appointment or touch ups.

A bit more more on my search, I went to LasikMD, Herzig and NVISION. Bochner couldn't accomodate a consultation for a few months so I turned them down. I thought Lasik and Herzig was the most thorough of the ones I went to, but was pretty set on NVISION given the positive reviews here. When I went, I had a half-consultation (optometrist didn't show up due to weather that day), but was still committed to NVISION despite this poor experience. I have really bad eyes (+7.25/+5.5 and really bad astigmatism, so equivalent of almost +9 eyes and been wearing glasses/contacts for 15 years) and both Lasik and NVISION recommended custom all-laser lasik. Herzig recommended IOL, but it was double the price of lasik and I don't like the concept of getting a lens installed in my eyes and the risks that come with it.

I tried making appointments at NVISION and in retrospect, it makes sense that they kept saying they were waiting for their Doctor's schedules in March. Now I will be going with LasikMD now for custom lasik all laser surgery performed by Avi Wallerstein, the co-founder, so hopefully I'm still in good hands still!

Has anyone with a bad eye prescription similar to mine done all laser lasik before? I've heard I may need a touch up due to the severity of my eyes and will likely have dry eyes as well given I've worn contacts for 10+ years.
Sorry to tell you this but you should be very careful with having laser at your prescription. This is a crazy amount of steepening. Your prescription is extremely high!
Feb 26, 2019
3 posts
Let me just say that I have been following this thread for a very looong time and had FINALLY made up my decision to go with Dr Machat at nvision. It took me a while to get to this point (years). Anyways, I set up a consultation and went in a few weeks ago. It was great and made me feel excited to get on with this before summer comes. As my luck would have it, I was phoned this week and told that the surgery couldn’t be done because the office was closing up. I literally couldn’t believe it and called the Toronto office directly to confirm - yup it’s true. Just as I was ready to give up (and take it all as a sign) someone called me to apologize and tell me that Dr. Machat was moving his patients over to TLC where he’s going to be operating at yonge and eglinton and the Mississauga location too. Apparently he didn’t have control over the closure but still wanted to make it up to everyone who planned to do surgery. They offered me next week March 5th for a special price to compensate for the hassle. This was a little sooner than I planned to get it done but after getting this news and the discount, I was onboard. I actually live near yonge and eg so it was a bit of a no brainer. I hope this helps anyone above that was stuck in the same situation. * I was also curious about the tech that he was using there so when I get an answer back I’ll let you know. This guy is always on the cutting edge so im not too worried about that but still want to know what im getting. Maybe you can get answers to other questions like enhancement from them too @[Phams0] ?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1085 posts
510 upvotes
Toronto
Phams0 wrote: My wife just got a call from the Nvision about cancelling her appoinment. She had lasik 6 months ago and was going to meet with Nvision about an enhancement. They said that Dr Machat might be joining another clinic. So wife is now considering whether she should seek out Dr. Machat about the possibility of enhancement or be happy with -0.75/-1.0.
What happened during the LASIK that required a follow up with another clinic?
Jan 5, 2012
23 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton
I tried calling nvision today and got redirected to TLC yonge eglinton, the person handling the transfer from didn't reply yet, but I'm not panicking jusy yet.

I had lasik on Dec 20th, -9 correction, and I think I was undercorrected by at least a degree, if not more, and so need an enhancement. I don't think Dr. Machat would leave his patients hanging, but we'll see and I'll report what I hear from yonge eglinton.
Oct 4, 2018
35 posts
11 upvotes
catchjosephnow has a point there, if you are "almost +9 eye ". A family friend with 8+ had RLE done.
Feb 22, 2007
64 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Oh crap! Just called Nvision this morning wanting to make my surgery appointment and got their voicemail message saying it was "After hours"...nothing about the clinic being closed.

I noticed in a Google search that Dr. Machat is also working out of Barrie Lasik Centre and heard through an optometrist friend that he heard Dr. Machat was joining Clarity Eye Institute in Vaughan.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2618 posts
638 upvotes
Dr Machat is now a part of TLC according to an email from NVISION I received this morning
Feb 22, 2007
64 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Back to the company he helped to found...that's good. Is he taking the Schwind with him to TLC?
Feb 22, 2007
64 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
hi-tech wrote: Dr Machat is now a part of TLC according to an email from NVISION I received this morning
Did the email happen to mention which location and when?