Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 385. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1092 posts
514 upvotes
lolobutt wrote: Anyone have this done and regret it
The vast majority of people are very happy with the results. But while it is generally very safe, there are risks, and if you are one of the unlucky ones to experience the adverse consequences, then you may very well regret it. Worst case scenario is very bad.

From WebMD: Lasik Risk and Rewards provides a pretty balanced view:
https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/2 ... -the-risks

For a more negative view, there is a site called lasik complications.

PRK may be considered slightly lower risk than LASIK, because there is no "flap" created. But PRK has longer recovery time.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1018 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver
So i had both my consults with PLEC and London Eye.

PLEC: The consult process didn't leave the best impression on me, the asian receptionist was kind of rude, and the lady giving the presentation was very rushed. I had to keep reminding myself that i was going for the doctor, their experience and their laser. They really need to update that consult stuff, the video was like from the early 2000s, not really sure why we had to watch a video at all. The techs doing the testing were nice, Dr Lin was very friendly though. I have a low prescription, so i fell in their low cost group, $1550/eye, $3100.

London Eye: A much more personal consult with a tech one on one, but you don't meet with a doctor here. My previous question about whether i can drive home after these tests, it was perfectly fine for me after 5 minutes. The only difference in terms of testing from PLEC was their pressure test with the eye drops. They quoted me $3200 for PRK, $3600 for IntraLase SBK.

That said, i still lean towards PLEC+Lin, just for his experience and good reviews. It also came out cheaper than i imagined.

Questions
1. PLEC said i'd have to wear sunglasses whenever i step outside for 3 months after surgery. Is this serious? I mean, i don't go outside too much in Vancouver winter anyways, but i'm curious.
2. PLEC does not cover pre/post op exams. On average, how much do these exams cost with your optometrist?
3. General, does glare when night driving improve/worsen after PRK? Have you guys noticed any changes?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
thefeebster wrote: Questions
1. PLEC said i'd have to wear sunglasses whenever i step outside for 3 months after surgery. Is this serious? I mean, i don't go outside too much in Vancouver winter anyways, but i'm curious.
2. PLEC does not cover pre/post op exams. On average, how much do these exams cost with your optometrist?
3. General, does glare when night driving improve/worsen after PRK? Have you guys noticed any changes?
1. In the daytime, yes. At dusk or night, of course not. This would be true of all PRK procedures, whether at PLEC, etc. Actually the PLEC laser renders patients less susceptible to haze (and both clinics use a special anti-haze medication with their PRK treatments called MMC), but its still a precaution that people are asked to observe because haze can really limit vision if it develops.

2. Figure $1000 for all the pre and post op exams, the prescription medication, and all required OTC drops, lubes and supplements. So if you have $4100 in your bank account, I am very confident that such would cover the entirety of your costs of treatment.

3. I subjectively have better night driving ability now, than I did prior to my procedure. However, for the first number of months, just due to the healing process, there can be considerably more glare from things like headlights which may make deciphering contrasting details more difficult.
Oct 4, 2018
34 posts
11 upvotes
thefeebster wrote: So i had both my consults with PLEC and London Eye.
London Eye: A much more personal consult with a tech one on one, but you don't meet with a doctor here. My previous question about whether i can drive home after these tests, it was perfectly fine for me after 5 minutes. The only difference in terms of testing from PLEC was their pressure test with the eye drops. They quoted me $3200 for PRK, $3600 for IntraLase SBK.
2. The $3200 for PRK quoted by London Eye: does it cover the pre/post op exams, Rx medication, and all the required OTC drops, lubes and supplements?
Feb 26, 2019
15 posts
3 upvotes
So, came across LaserVue in Montreal which seems to be offering the SmartSurface TransPRK. They're using the 750rs software customized for their SchwindAmaris 500.
Has anyone tried these guys out? Any concerns with the 500 series laser when Schwind has released up to a 1050? I'm in Ontario and travel would be quite a bit easier to Montreal over Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
Penguin1389 wrote: Any concerns with the 500 series laser when Schwind has released up to a 1050?

No. The 1050rs is slightly faster, but even the 500E laser is incredibly fast. The differences in the lasers are apparently mostly related to how fast their computer chips are internally. And the laser software, called "ORK-CAM", that contains the algorithms for SmartSurfACE and for the laser pattern to re-shape the eye is identical between the 500E, the 750S, and the 1050RS.

Someone on Reddit made inquiries of the clinic (Laservue in Montreal) with a very high prescription, and he was told that they only do those one eye at a time. That's the only 'issue' I've heard of to date. The Vancouver clinic has a lot more experience doing very high prescriptions (probably the most experience in the world with that laser platform), so they most often encourage bilateral treatment.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1018 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver
beamme wrote: 2. The $3200 for PRK quoted by London Eye: does it cover the pre/post op exams, Rx medication, and all the required OTC drops, lubes and supplements?
Everything seems to mention post exams+most meds included. But i can't see much in the forms about pre-op costs.
Oct 2, 2007
97 posts
6 upvotes
thefeebster wrote: So i had both my consults with PLEC and London Eye.

PLEC: The consult process didn't leave the best impression on me, the asian receptionist was kind of rude, and the lady giving the presentation was very rushed. I had to keep reminding myself that i was going for the doctor, their experience and their laser. They really need to update that consult stuff, the video was like from the early 2000s, not really sure why we had to watch a video at all. The techs doing the testing were nice, Dr Lin was very friendly though. I have a low prescription, so i fell in their low cost group, $1550/eye, $3100.

That said, i still lean towards PLEC+Lin, just for his experience and good reviews. It also came out cheaper than i imagined.

Questions
1. I did my surgery in the winter and wore sunglasses only when the sun was up.

3. The first few months after PRK at plec I had lots of starbursts at night specifically, my prescription was very bad. It was manageable, didn't affect my driving once I was able to see 20/40. However at 7-8 months post, I still have nights where I still get some star bursting when looking at light. But this only happens when my eyes are dry (lack of sleep or sleeping with my face in the pillow). The star bursts are barely noticeable however. I only notice it if I think about it
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
beamme wrote: A friend's sister recently had PRK at BoydVision for $2000 all inclusive. Would be interesting to know how much they charge for Trans-PRK. I know they also do Phakic and RLE, but will write you off if you are not in the right age group.
transPRK really isn't an 'add-on'. Either a clinic does it, and does it for all (normal PRK) patients, or they don't do it at all. It does take considerable investment in the newest laser equipment to do it though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9176 posts
4707 upvotes
Paris
I had PRK surgery at TLC at the University of Waterloo in August 2008 at the age of 33. No regrets. My cornea was too thin to lift and set back down so they scraped it off and I was on pain killers and night googles (so as not to rub my eyes) for 4-5 nights as it grew back. I was off work for 3 weeks. My vision was great in the mornings but progressively worsened throughout the day. I was on eye drops for around 3 months like a crack addict. After 6 months I was basically eye drop free.

I still wear sunglasses when its bright outside, but I also did before surgery wearing contacts. Night driving has not been affected. I think I paid $5800 for pre and post op care, which still to this day includes warranty checkups with my optometrist. I am getting to the point of needing reading glasses before 50 but thats just age.
Jan 8, 2007
425 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
So are there no options for SmartSurface TransPRK in the GTA now?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
Sheek wrote: So are there no options for SmartSurface TransPRK in the GTA now?
I think someone earlier mentioned that the clinics that Dr. Machat now practiced at upgraded to the Alcon/Wavelight EX500 with "Streamlight" software for transPRK.

Whether or not that's as good as the Schwind....there's been no published studies.

Dr. Machat's former laser apparently is available for purchase.. Only $200,000 USD$ : https://bimedis.com/a-item/laser-excime ... 0s-1384140
Aug 30, 2009
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote: I think someone earlier mentioned that the clinics that Dr. Machat now practiced at upgraded to the Alcon/Wavelight EX500 with "Streamlight" software for transPRK.

Whether or not that's as good as the Schwind....there's been no published studies.

Dr. Machat's former laser apparently is available for purchase.. Only $200,000 USD$ : https://bimedis.com/a-item/laser-excime ... 0s-1384140
I had transPRK done by Dr. Machat at TLC on August 7.

Up until August 7, I was fully expecting alcohol ablation as this was what I was told I would be receiving, though the fact that I knew my surgeon was going to be Machat did give me pause, making me wonder what I would be getting. It wasn't until I actually met and talked with Dr. Machat 20 minutes before the procedure where he went over what was going to happen was I told that it would be transPRK. I didn't ask him if he brought over his laser (moot point as @burnt69 has pointed out that it's up for sale).
Last edited by rolloutg on Aug 24th, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
rolloutg wrote: I had transPRK done by Dr. Machat at TLC on August 7.

Up until August 7, I was fully expecting alcohol ablation as this was what I was told I would be receiving (though I wasn't the fact that it was Dr. Machat being my surgeon would mean something different at the end). It wasn't until I actually met and talked with Dr. Machat 20 minutes before the procedure where he went over what was going to happen was I told that it would be transPRK. I didn't ask him if he brought over his laser (moot point as @burnt69 has pointed out that it's up for sale).
Hey, how'd that turn out? There's incredibly little info on "Streamlight" (single-step transPRK on the Alcon/Wavelight EX500 laser) if you do a search on your favourite web search site…
Aug 30, 2009
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
burnt69 wrote: Hey, how'd that turn out? There's incredibly little info on "Streamlight" (single-step transPRK on the Alcon/Wavelight EX500 laser) if you do a search on your favourite web search site…
So far, so good! There was no pain the day of, and I slept like a baby through the night, pain-free. In fact, I was feeling so cocky the day after (Day 1) that I walked up to DeMello Paletta coffee roasters after my post-op, bought some beans, helped the wife go pick up a box of laminate flooring, went grocery shopping...man, I felt great, and I could see so much! But then 11pm hit and all of a sudden, I could barely open my eyes due to burning, and it was non stop streaming tears. It was a continuation of Niagara Falls all of Day 2 where I spent every possible second in bed with eyes closed. I woke up Saturday (Day 3), no burning, no tears, and I haven't looked back since! I'm lubricating like crazy, but in general, I have no sense of dry eyes (yet, anyways).

Vision is up and down, but I know PRK recovery is slow. As of my post-op on Day 12, I was 20/40 in right, and 20/30 in left, with a combined 20/20 if I "tried really really hard." (Prescription -5.0 (R), -3.75 (L) with mild astigmatism). Optometrist said, "You're legally allowed to drive, I can't stop you from doing that, but I am by no means encouraging you to get behind a wheel right now".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)